Before you start selling Vagary carries
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Cerberus.Diavolo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Diavolo
By Cerberus.Diavolo 2015-03-27 03:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lead by example and encourage others to do the same. There are a number of reasons I can think of as to why "mercs" (how I hate the way that term is used in FFXI) are more popular than ever these days, but the only way to change that, to make a real impact on the community, is to show them how easy it is to provide an alternative to buying/leeching all their wins and/or gear. There probably wouldn't be so many people running to those mercenary groups if there were more welcoming linkshells providing the kind of environment that empowers players instead of making them feel like an outsider or customer.
[+]
 Bismarck.Hellangelz
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Hellangelz 2015-03-27 03:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So let me get this straight....in order to 119 the Empy, you need to clear Vagary, which requires 12 really good players or 18 normal player? Correct me if i'm wrong. Post SE Event where they gave us the "bad news", 18 players would account for just under 5% of the entire server here.....
 Siren.Kiyara
Server: Siren
user: Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2015-03-27 03:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, seems Vagary is bringing FFXI back to hardcore status which just encourages elitism and people to lemming all over one strategy to beat something. Granted a challenge is good but if it's gonna turn into only using this setup or jobs then it's just dumb. For a game that is dying, you figure this type of game design would of been out the door. Think I'm gonna pass altogether if that is the case.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-03-27 04:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Krysten said: »
so whats the deal is this a must have an alliance system or is it a 6 man job?

hows this work exactly

from what I have been reading anything under 12 ppl makes it very difficult, difficulty doesn't scale with # of players
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-03-27 04:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently it doesn't scale with less members, but its currency is still farmable with low numbers. You just won't have a chance at killing the boss.

It's basically Einherjar v2
[+]
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2015-03-27 04:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, Einherjar. That ***was a pain in the ***. Could never get past Tier 2. Really get tired of 18 man content. Becomes more of a job that anything.
 Leviathan.Krysten
Server: Leviathan
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-03-27 05:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

hopfully this really isnt the case, got friend 6 manning it now hopefully some good news awaits lol.
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Asura
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-27 05:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If they want alliance content they really need to server merge.
[+]
 Leviathan.Protey
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-03-27 05:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having fun with it. Went with a bunch of japanese, and despite language barriers and not knowing much about the event we cleared two of the zones. We failed barely in both zones on the first try, but came back for the win the second try. Go with a variety of jobs. I saw everything from BST, BLU, BLM, RNG, PLD, you name it, it was there.
[+]
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-27 05:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »
I'm having fun with it. Went with a bunch of japanese, and despite language barriers and not knowing much about the event we cleared two of the zones. We failed barely in both zones on the first try, but came back for the win the second try. Go with a variety of jobs. I saw everything from BST, BLU, BLM, RNG, PLD, you name it, it was there.
That's encouraging but if I understand correctly there's still just one treasure pool right? So people are going to want to have the most efficient set up as possible to minimise the amount of people lotting on drops, this isn't going to be all inclusive content.
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-03-27 05:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

i wthat sucks i was hoping personal chests like skirmish.... if this is sky/limus/Ejar all over again ill be tappin out before i start lol.

im always getting boned on pool treasure
[+]
 Leviathan.Vienne
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-03-27 05:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

shared pools add a lot of longevity to events
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-03-27 06:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

So rather than make yourself a better player, you want them to make the game easier for you.

Sounds like our education system right now.
[+]
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-03-27 06:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

being a good player has nothing to do with it.

its about luck of the draw its about winning vegas odds and must these events always seem to favor cirtain people

getting 18 people to do anything on leviathan is like pulling teeth lol even more so to get them to work together
 Odin.Vuq
Server: Odin
user: Delagyela
By Odin.Vuq 2015-03-27 06:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

So what you're saying is, its not enough to make 99 a short and skilless adventure, now you want everyone to get all the best gear without even trying? 2 problems with that, someone geared to the teeth now wont have a damn clue how to play their job meaning people relying on them actualyl trying to wint he content for themsevles.. will lose. not to mention all incentive to actually play the game is completely lost. I like the idea of having content too difficult to complete immediatly because if we could beat it immediatly there would be no content and therefore no players. not to mention the biggest wholesale gilsellers are not little chinamen, but infact those people you mention with 20+ R/E/M. they play for real money at this point and if u think anything else of that you are only fooling yourself.
By cervelo84 2015-03-27 06:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Man we did the elementals and it was no easy go. We beat the 1st two NM ( umbril and pixie ) - - Umbril is best with just 1-2 melee on it, and the pixie is killed fastest with rangers. Of course this zone was all elementals so we had to bring 2 blm 2 smn.

You certainly need variety in terms of jobs you bring to have success.
 Cerberus.Diavolo
user: Diavolo
By Cerberus.Diavolo 2015-03-27 06:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Taidis said: »
If they want alliance content they really need to server merge.

The game needs a server merge, no doubt about it, and something large scale, not just cutting the number of servers in half. Sad state of affairs seeing the population hovering around the 400 mark during NA prime time. We were playing with 6K+ simultaneous users years ago when the world was smaller and there were far fewer events to keep us busy.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-03-27 07:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

almost certain it's hardware/software issues preventing a merge, they'd be fools to not realize the game would be much more enjoyable with half-1/3 the servers
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-27 07:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk, I think they're just waiting for post Rhapsodies before doing it.
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-27 07:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
almost certain it's hardware/software issues preventing a merge, they'd be fools to not realize the game would be much more enjoyable with half-1/3 the servers
I believe it's probably down to the fact there is now a massive disparity between the amount of JP players and the amount of NA/EU players, so while a server merge may seem sensible from a NA/EU viewpoint, for JP it would be unnecessary and would probably have a major impact on server load times.
By pchan 2015-03-27 07:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the gear is meh Like previous updates, skirpish gear is best. So you are better off buying stones at the AH
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-27 07:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

There we have it people, pchan just stated that Vagary is pointles because it doesn't benefit his MNK.

/thread

/sarcasmoff
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2015-03-27 08:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

More a matter of just dealing with more BS than it is a challenge. I think I've put in my fair share of hardship and suffering. I'm far from lazy. Just get tired of the same ole FFXI ***that SQEX likes to throw in your face with wasting a bunch of time to create the illusion of effort. Gets old after a while.
 Cerberus.Avalon
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-03-27 08:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the OP has valid concerns, but unfortunately either someone is going to buy the items at ridiculously marked up prices or they're going to take some friends into the content to farm the items themselves.

On Cerberus, there are 2 kinds of players right now: Long-time veterans who do nothing but end-game content and returning players coming back and playing catch up. There's not a whole lot of in-between.

That being said, if people want to merc Vagary like any other content then that's their prerogative. If you aren't interested in organizing parties or alliances and/or are too busy in real life to do so, then perhaps it's better for you to accept the services of people who can help deliver the content results to you.

If you do not want to part ways with your gil just to stay relevant each version update, then join a Linkshell that enjoys helping its members clear various contents.
[+]
By Keido 2015-03-27 08:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't able to play last night with my "nolifer" working spending time with friends and ***...

So is the event fun?
 Cerberus.Avalon
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-03-27 08:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Keido said: »
I wasn't able to play last night with my "nolifer" working spending time with friends and ***...

So is the event fun?

We took 18 people into 2 Vagary zones last night and had a blast.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-03-27 08:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't played in two months, and I"m considering returning.

That said...

People who pay for others to do ***for them aren't always those who are otherwise incapable of doing the content themselves. Some of them feel that the time spent doing whatever it is worth more than the gil they pay someone else.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Yes, there are those who pay people for clears, most of whom cause me to raise an eyebrow simply because they're walking around in bayld gear, yet they seemingly have endless amounts of gil to throw around. Now, I'm not explicitly saying they buy gil, but it sure looks funny sometimes...

I've merc'd ***. I don't pay for clears of any flavor, and even if I reactivated today and looked over everything I've missed, I STILL wouldn't pay.

I'm not the world's greatest player, I have a single relic (gun) and no mythic of any flavor. What I do have is persistence.

On the flip side, if I see someone who's in need of help, my first instinct is NOT to make them pay me for stupid ***, it's to freaking HELP them. People remember that crap.
[+]
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-03-27 09:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If you clear it with the RoE objective set, you get a free upgrade item it sounds, i forgot to set, but others did.

Please don't cry about event difficulty, most of the people i know quit because its all too easy. Now people are complaining its too hard because they haven't got the win on the first day before we figure out any tricks. The devs are never going to find a balance between the people that want hard content versus easy content, its refreshing to have some form of challenge, but well probably know of some tricks in less then a month that makes it a complete joke.
[+]
 Cerberus.Avalon
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-03-27 09:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fiv said: »
If you clear it with the RoE objective set, you get a free upgrade item it sounds, i forgot to set, but others did.

Please don't cry about event difficulty, most of the people i know quit because its all too easy. Now people are complaining its too hard because they haven't got the win on the first day before we figure out any tricks. The devs are never going to find a balance between the people that want hard content versus easy content, its refreshing to have some form of challenge, but well probably know of some tricks in less then a month that makes it a complete joke.

I set my ROE for the MB we did, but I could have sworn it still showed as being an active quest despite not being repeatable. I also got a KI after clearing the MB (which no one else did it seemed). Apparently you need to collect the KI's from all 3 MBs and turn them in for access to a higher level Vagary experience.
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-03-27 09:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a key item, which lets me upgrade feet now, i just didn't get the free item to do so because i didn't have ROE set unfortunately.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8