Link | Quote | Reply

If you are an avid crafter the the orvail ring is > all
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-11-10 18:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why all the hoopla about wanting more than one ring. Orvail ring is *** awesome.

You just have to forgo getting a real ring to obtain it, which is saddening.

The Shneddick and Orvail (to a lesser extent Gorney) just simply don't belong as a reward scenario ring, they're something you obtain another way.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-11-10 20:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Thinking pretty like Sapphire a bit, spending most of my time farming and being Cor on events...
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-11-10 21:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nauta said: »
It's a great piece for thief and nin too, especially with Daken.

I don't think it matters at all for Daken (and I'm actually defending the DW part of the ring as not useless):

1) Party content: your NIN should have buffs that cap delay reduction and make DW gear irrelevant. Worse than redundant, additional DW beyond cap actually hurts you by reducing TP/swing. So you're probably not gonna want to use this ring if the only thing it does for you is add RAcc for Daken procs.

2) When you're without buffs, you're probably fighting stuff where Racc is no issue at all (especially with Daken's inherent accuracy boost). So in any situation where you're on NIN and the DW helps, the RAcc is likely entirely irrelevant.

Quetzalcoatl.Taberif said: »
Non buffed dd Is usually just an mp sink now days anyways

Non-buffed DDs are actually worse than an MP sink in Delve and Incursion, since every extra body = more mob HP.

But THF is a very notable example of a melee job that might really be worth sticking outside the buffed party at times depending on setup. Doesn't mean it's not capable of doing respectable damage, but compared to something like SAM it's obviously not designed to compete DD-wise.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-11-11 00:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a rock
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-11-11 02:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
It's a great piece for thief and nin too, especially with Daken.

I don't think it matters at all for Daken (and I'm actually defending the DW part of the ring as not useless):

1) Party content: your NIN should have buffs that cap delay reduction and make DW gear irrelevant. Worse than redundant, additional DW beyond cap actually hurts you by reducing TP/swing. So you're probably not gonna want to use this ring if the only thing it does for you is add RAcc for Daken procs.

2) When you're without buffs, you're probably fighting stuff where Racc is no issue at all (especially with Daken's inherent accuracy boost). So in any situation where you're on NIN and the DW helps, the RAcc is likely entirely irrelevant.

Quetzalcoatl.Taberif said: »
Non buffed dd Is usually just an mp sink now days anyways

Non-buffed DDs are actually worse than an MP sink in Delve and Incursion, since every extra body = more mob HP.

But THF is a very notable example of a melee job that might really be worth sticking outside the buffed party at times depending on setup. Doesn't mean it's not capable of doing respectable damage, but compared to something like SAM it's obviously not designed to compete DD-wise.

Its really bad to put a thf outside the main party for small group incursion, the damage they can do inside the core party of SAMx2 THF BRD GEO WHM is nontrivial.

If you add a 7th person to throw on the outside it should be a rdm since they can totally handle themselves, do CC/Stun and haste2 cycle everyone from the outside, allowing you to adjust your geo bubble and bard song setup when the GEO+RDM competently stun.
When the run grows beyond ~9 people is the only time we throw the THF in unbuffed/mage group (because we added another heavy DD in the core dps party).

I do agree on your points that haverton is a weak ring choice for party content (because you have buffs where the dw contribution of it becomes lacking or pointless).

I think only the most hardcore soloer/lowbuff content participants would get the most use out of haverton ring.
For solo farming content where haverton's tp/dps increase would benefit you, other mechanics are at odds with this (JA proc rate in dyna), and or loot yield per kill (dyna+salvage) which make an extra +TH from Gorney ring a compelling alternative for soloists.
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-11-11 03:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Got myself the Janniston Ring for my WHM. Nice extra cure pot % ring. The level 1 cuffs we get is just kinda...useless, wish it was more useful. The lvl 1 body armor with movement speed +25% in adoulin is nice (though I wish it was a ilvl body armor with that and other good stats on it and having the movement speed for more than adoulin would rock.

But anyway, Janniston Ring is a MUST HAVE if you are a career whm.
 Ragnarok.Inx
Server: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2014-11-11 03:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's be honest, in an ideal max-buff situation, none of these melee rings are going to make much difference at all.

Its ironic, its in true solo situations or at least those with minimal buffs for whatever reason, that gear stats actually matter the most. And yet... nobody cares because they aren't parser showcase scenarios.

And as to all the crap about THF dps... if nobody cared why are there so many Mandau's out there?
 Asura.Ccl
Server: Asura
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-11-11 07:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cause thf is a fun job ?
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-11-11 08:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Inx said: »
Let's be honest, in an ideal max-buff situation, none of these melee rings are going to make much difference at all.

Its ironic, its in true solo situations or at least those with minimal buffs for whatever reason, that gear stats actually matter the most. And yet... nobody cares because they aren't parser showcase scenarios.

And as to all the crap about THF dps... if nobody cared why are there so many Mandau's out there?

It's not about "parser showcasing" It's about respect. When I'm solo, I'm wasting MY OWN time. I can do whatever the *** I want, as slow as I damn well please. When in a group, YOU'RE wasting MY time, and you damn well better be the best you can be.

THF DPS is actually quite good, as with all things it depends on the player, not the job. The thing is, bad thieves, as with bad pups, bad sams, bad whms, etc dead horse etc. Give the rest of us a bad name.

Now obviously, (I) and everyone else put out more damage when THEY are on SAM, but, me on THF vs someone else on SAM, I can still win. It's not about the job, it's the player. If I'm disrespected into the nobuff party, then you get the minimum.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Inx
Server: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2014-11-11 10:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »
Cause thf is a fun job ?

Exactly.

The point I'm getting at is if you can justify spending over 100mil on a Mandau, you can just as easily justify getting a Haverton Ring.

You're not going to be the grand-pooh-bar of dps either way, especially if you're stuck in the outside party, but you will see benefit from your choice situationally.

Could you, and your ls mates by extension, possibly have seen more benefit by picking a different relic/adoulin ring. Sure you could, but its always your time and your choice.
 Asura.Ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-11-11 10:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see a better choice than Haverton for me! Between dual wield fun on weird job/setup (war, geo and such) and the only snapshot ring,it was an easy choice!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-11 10:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Between dual wield fun on weird job/setup (war, geo and such) and the only snapshot ring,it was an easy choice!
I seriously hope you don't dual wield WAR....
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-11-11 11:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If I pick Gorney ring and don't have acess to Steal/Mug on let'say BLU/DNC, do I get the JA to use or is it just a potency boost for /THF jobs?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-11 11:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Only boosts the abilities..

If an item enhances a trait it works on any job, but if it enhances an ability it obviously only enhances it if you can actually use it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-11-11 11:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I picked Karieyh with the intent of trading it later, just to test some things out with it.

It's pretty interesting as an Idle ring in between mobs, the 5tic is not much but it does seem to have a positive impact to TP gain overall. Not quite sure if AM1 has anything to do with it, but I do get 9k Resolutions at 1.5k TP on Rune against Adoulin fodder using it in the set.

Need to test/play with more though.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-11-11 11:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So which one is a good MNK ring anyhow? I picked up the WS ring too lol.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-11 11:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really much else relevant for monk. Weatherspoon for /nin? Lol..Gorney ring for solo farming, Orvail if you craft...

I don't know how Karieyh fares against stat rings for monk, especially considering most monk ws are multihit, but other options are about the same value. Final Heaven I guess.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-11 11:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »
Bahamut.Malothar said: »
Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »
TH caps at 9 not 8 on Armor and it builds up to TH 12 potency on Mob while TP-ing.

No, TH from armor, traits, buffs, etc caps at 8 for Thf, 4 for any non-main Thf. It's worth noting that this ring allows someone to cap TH without being /Thf in SoA. 1 Ring, 1 Belt, 2 from Ionis. Though I doubt many value that over what the other rings offer.

odd cuz I tested being TH 8 and whenever i hit mob says Th 8 on mob

however when i have TH 9 or above TH 10 or 11 it says TH 9 on mob

So the CAP is 9 not 8 sir.

Everytime you post something my head hurts, it's like you don't even read or check the info online but then try and post saying everyone else is wrong.

Seriously learn how the game works because this only makes you seem stupid...
You know, I don't agree with you on most things, but this time, you got my full support, and [+]

I would hope you don't agree with me on most things, there would be no point in debate if we always agreed.
 Asura.Ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-11-11 11:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Between dual wield fun on weird job/setup (war, geo and such) and the only snapshot ring,it was an easy choice!
I seriously hope you don't dual wield WAR....

Why not ? war is useless beside fun stuff so might as well dual wield since for everything that matter there is sam.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-11 11:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

War/Nin Axe/Ridill only. You're a noob otherwise.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-11 11:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
War/Nin Axe/Ridill only. You're a noob otherwise.

WOAH not WAR/DNC?

Gangster PLD, how could you forget?!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-11 12:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

What is this dnc you speak of? This is 2006.
[+]
By gdiShun 2014-11-11 12:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Not really much else relevant for monk. Weatherspoon for /nin? Lol..Gorney ring for solo farming, Orvail if you craft...

I don't know how Karieyh fares against stat rings for monk, especially considering most monk ws are multihit, but other options are about the same value. Final Heaven I guess.

I'm assuming it's like :Metsu and even the NQ Avatar Ring is on par with it. :\
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-11-11 12:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
I think only the most hardcore soloer/lowbuff content participants would get the most use out of haverton ring.

From the DW portion, yes I agree. But I still think Haverton is primarily a ranged ring. Best-in-slot R.Acc option, and ONLY Snapshot ring.

I chose it for my RNG COR, but I'll also use it on my NIN THF DNC BLU as the only DW piece in the slot for low buff situations. If it was JUST DW/ninjutsu I wouldn't have picked it.

Who are we kidding though, everyone knows the real reason to pick Haverton is the Ninjutsu skill to stick all those enfeebling ninjutsu ;)
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-11-11 13:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
That's so silly. A good thief, playing well, can do really nice damage, especially in high tier battlefields. I don't understand why people are so narrow minded that they only see it as TH tool. But to each their own. It's a great piece for thief and nin too, especially with Daken.

You completely forgot the reject party part. If I'm there in a buffless party, I'm sticking TH and then AFK'n till the next mob.

No buffs = No participation.

I recall someone saying once upon a time that Sneak attk and Trick attk should be a stance that you can have up full time one or the other allowing all your ws's to crit. I will continue to dream of this *looks up at thought bubble*
By FaeQueenCory 2014-11-11 14:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Protectorchrono said: »
Got myself the Janniston Ring for my WHM. Nice extra cure pot % ring. The level 1 cuffs we get is just kinda...useless, wish it was more useful. The lvl 1 body armor with movement speed +25% in adoulin is nice (though I wish it was a ilvl body armor with that and other good stats on it and having the movement speed for more than adoulin would rock.

I would disagree slightly.
Just slightly though!

55% potency IS really nice...
Buuuuuuut....
Weatherspoon(?)... The FC one.
Can replace Prolix as well as buff more than JUST WHM.
Now if WHM is your ONLY 99 job... Yeah, Janniston all the way.
But I feel that you'll get more bang for your buck with the FC ring. (Namely cause 50% potency has been more than enough to keep everyone alive and well for years. 55% isn't *needed*, it's just really nice to have.)
Or another ring depending on your jobs and what other gear you have.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-11 14:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »

Just slightly though!

Buuuuuuut....
But I feel that you'll get more bang for your buck with the FC ring. (Namely cause 50% potency has been more than enough to keep everyone alive and well for years. 55% isn't *needed*, it's just really nice to have.)

it equates to 13~14 extra HP on Cure 3...

Not all that good really.

It's only good if you have x amount of mp constantly and have no other jobs to play.

And then Instant cast is in th ruight build far more useful.
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-11-11 15:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »

Just slightly though!

Buuuuuuut....

I was considering Weatherspoon but Janniston was just too good for me to pass up. WHM is not my only 99 job (I have 14 99's lol) but I have more then enough FC for my whm but the extra cure pot % is always a welcome sight and who knows when you would need it. For me as whm I always consider my options especially when it comes to keeping my pty members alive so Janniston Ring was the obvious choice. (don't get me wrong Weatherspoon was high on consideration list ;P)
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-11 15:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I would have chosen 'spoon too if I were a main whm, but Janniston isn't a bad choice in itself.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10