Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-10-02 00:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Here you guys go:
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/50106-Server-Populations?p=5902389&viewfull=1#post5902389

The answer is that the switch from a horizontal to vertical model did probably have some impact on FFXI and then FFXIV delivered another big kick to the face.

If you look at the trend from early May (April 29th outdated RMEs), it continues downward until the July version update (7/8) at which point it jumps back up. This is probably because the spike from the version update (lots of people get kicked off, so more than normal have to log back in) gets smeared together with the start of the first login campaign (7/10). If you ignore the bump in activity from July to early September (9/2) because it's probably from the two login campaigns, then the trend from May to July is pretty much continuous with the decrease seen in September.

Obviously FFXIV was the impetus for many people to finally quit, but it is possible that it wouldn't have had nearly as large of an impact if the horizontal to vertical progression switch hadn't happened. I'll point out that April is pretty much flat.

Edit:
These are the number of "sessions" or pure number of pings to google analytics from people opening Launcher. Line is added by me.

8/27 (FFXIV's release date) is when the number of sessions hits the black line again, not 9/2. So at least some of it the decrease is directly due to FFXIV. In my opinion, though, it would not be unreasonable to blame the horizontal to vertical progression switch for a substantial amount of the decline too.

I'm still not convinced that vertical model is better, either. I never have issue with doing sky in 2012, since I don't do sky everyday for 7 years, I alternate between different event. The total amount of time I spent in sky is probably about 1 month.

Do delve for 7 months and nothing else to do except delve, is no better than do sky for 7 years, but in reality you only spend 1~2 month doing it if you add every sky run together.

Vertical model give a sense of choice and freedom, you can choose what to do, based on you preference and mood, IMO way better.
 Siren.Methylated
Server: Siren
By Siren.Methylated 2013-10-02 00:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I am one of the people who stepped away from FFXI for a bit due to the fact that combined with the dippy fact that there was hardly any GMT players on my server, The players underlying hate for each other, Long wait times for anything, The fact that everyone QQ's and leaves after a wipe and blames everyone but themselves and the fact that if I defend a bloody tepee for a hour I can cap out on decent gear made me finally pay that 15 quid and download FFXIV and de-subscribe from FFXI.

Its funny though because people are starting to cap out at 50 and getting bored quick. I am bored at FATE grinding at level 35. But the wonderful fact that I can log on and do what I got to do. Enter a dungeon with dungeon finder and if there is not enough people available I can still do quests, craft, level. While I wait is something to behold. Not everyone has 6-8 hours to burn on getting something actually accomplished in the day. So that casual log on and play and feel like stuff is going on is great.

Oh and because your on a mostly EU/NA server theres no {I Dont Speak Any English} or {Thanks For The Offer But I Will Have To Pass}

Its just *A wild popup appears* "ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR DUNGEON MATE?! LETS PEW PEW* and off you go.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dazusu
Server: Leviathan
user: Dazusu
By Leviathan.Dazusu 2013-10-02 04:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I want nothing more than a reason to return to 11 at this point, but SoA quality (and I use the word loosely) content needs to stop.

FFXI had always been about long term goals and the grind, there was virtually no instant gratification pre-Abyssea. People who played the game were fine with that. That's why they continued to subscribe, right?

Abyssea content was fine by me, but the rate of reward vs. effort wasn't - and not because I don't want quick rewards, but more because SE can't keep up with the rate of content development to support such quick to cap content. That's what it comes down to. If SE could get out content updates (end-game) every 2~ months, then Abyssea and SoA type content (i.e. content without longevity) would be fine. Fact is they can't, so they shouldn't.

While FFXIV is in some part to blame for the decline in population, the bigger problem is the lack of consistent content to support the speed at which people are completing and capping out in it.

"Kill Tojil once, and everyone in the alliance gets immediate access to everything that drops"

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now? not so sure...
[+]
By Afania 2013-10-02 12:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Methylated said: »
Oh and because your on a mostly EU/NA server theres no {I Dont Speak Any English} or {Thanks For The Offer But I Will Have To Pass}

I got into JP /shout with pretty much just 3 JP sentences which I just use a premade list of JP terms, 1 sentence for asking to join on X job, 1 sentence to say hello to pt when I got in, and another one I said when pt disband, then just remain silent entire run and leeched philosophy in 25 min speed runs :p

Although it is kinda boring that I can't chat in JP :(
By fonewear 2013-10-03 17:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The 500 or so on average of you left playing are loyal I will give you that.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-10-05 14:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

585 people on lakshmi on a saturday. Wtf.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-07 16:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Logged in to check some stuff.

252 people on Lakshmi server? Holy ***.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-10-07 16:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bazaar mules have been knocked offline. Heck, that is probably with some back online already. 200 NA/EU players seems pretty consistent with my experience on the server lately. I have zones to myself very frequently.
By fonewear 2013-10-08 09:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Logged in to check some stuff.

252 people on Lakshmi server? Holy ***.

When there is a server maintenance you can see how many people afk. Can get a sense of the real population of FFXI that actually leave Jeuno.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-10-08 09:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

One implication of this is that it takes 10% of the server to do any alliance event.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-08 10:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

And to think, a servers worth of characters would turn out to daily HNM camps.
[+]
By macsdf1 2013-10-09 18:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

farm those ochains and harps
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2013-10-09 21:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

523 people @ Fenrir like 10 minutes ago... -_-;
By Quiznor 2013-10-09 21:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Just looked at the back of my FFT:WotL box.....saw Sparth's avatar and it blew my mind @_@