New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Food for Thought
Food for Thought
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By volkom 2013-07-22 12:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're a returning player with jobs at 75. First priority is getting the jobs you need to 99 and merited. Next should be getting any of the decent +1/+2 af3 gear to work towards your gear sets. Then you can work towards a cheap carryover weapon from the bayld npc or find ones off the AH. If you want more damage go for a skirmish if possible. Once you have your basic sets of gear going for the other stuff will be easier. You honestly can't just jump into the new stuff with old old gear if you're melee cuz of acc issues. The game is pretty much about getting gear to get more gear. Takes time and patience. Join a linkshell of any kind. Make friends and do stuff and work to improve your character every time you're on.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-07-22 12:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
My main point is just that, if players are shouting for "delve dd only" or whatever, then there has to be a reason. One could say it's just because their elitist jerks or whatever, but I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt, even if their motives aren't entirely apparent to themselves.

People shout Delve DD because for the most part it's easy enough to get one Delve weapon and if you don't have any Delve weapons you can get by on WK Reive weapons, Skirmish weapons or even old RMEs. It's not ideal but if you aren't dealing with complete *** you can probably get into a group. Or you could heal/support/BRD plasm farm and be fine.

Quote:
As a shout group leader, you have an incentive to make sure the run goes well so that players will continue to want to join your shouts. If not, you end up being one of those mockeries that the good players never join, leaving your shout groups generally doomed to never do very well. Given that DDs with high end weapons are a dime a dozen now, the leader really has no incentive to take on unnecessary risk to both the success of their run and the longevity of their reputation.

And that's fine from the leaders perspective but when criteria for running a group requires having done months of now-dead content you're stuck if you hadn't been keeping up with the waves of content. If you quit around Voidwatch pt.I and are trying to make yourself Delve ready you're gonna have a bad time when you realize you can't do ***like Meebles, Salvage II or Legion because demand has dried up. Or you could try to create your own LS but requiring every returning player to have leadership capabilities is ridiculous.

So basically you can either try to sneak under the fence as a GEO or COR, come in on a healer or wait until SE fixes the logjam. I poked fun at SoA killing the game because where Abyssea made content accessible SoA has tried to return to the oldschool ideal that hemorrhaged players in a game already hemorrhaging players.
 Asura.Sthrnrebel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Sthrnrebel 2013-07-22 12:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sigh, nevermind Sehachan. You are right and I am wrong. I am done trying to have a logical conversation with you. Your attitude is beyond ridiculous. I understand gear swapping and haste caps etc. This whole thread has just further proven the OP's story post in showing that veteran players such as yourself would rather take the easy selfish road to worry about #1 instead of taking anyone new/returning and teaching them.

When you see their gear, you assume they are a lazy leech and just don't invite them. You, among others, have said this repeatedly yet have you once said you've socialized with these people to figure *if* they know about gear swaps or haste caps? Or were they just thrown into all this without a real sense of knowledge to find help?

Someone a page or two ago posted about how generally speaking guides and information are "hardly public knowledge" and it's quite true. We all come here because we knew it over time, not everyone does and you are so quick to blanket assuming everyone should know everything about the game when I am sitting here arguing and advocating for the people who don't know. The people who need a veteran to help them, not snub their nose up at them.

Edit: So not making another post, I agree with Suji and Sparthos's views about vertical gearing and SE's identity crisis.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-07-22 12:59:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
And that's fine from the leaders perspective but when criteria for running a group requires having done months of now-dead content you're stuck if you hadn't been keeping up with the waves of content. If you quit around Voidwatch pt.I and are trying to make yourself Delve ready you're gonna have a bad time when you realize you can't do ***like Meebles, Salvage II or Legion because demand has dried up. Or you could try to create your own LS but requiring every returning player to have leadership capabilities is ridiculous.

So basically you can either try to sneak under the fence as a GEO or COR, come in on a healer or wait until SE fixes the logjam. I poked fun at SoA killing the game because where Abyssea made content accessible SoA has tried to return to the oldschool ideal that hemorrhaged players in a game already hemorrhaging players.
It sounds like we agree, really. In a vertical content system, it shouldn't be hard for any player to complete old content. FFXI's current identity crisis is causing a lot of these problems.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-22 13:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You have this knowledge and send off your friend with full Karyeih. It's you not helping your friend, not me. I always helped the people in need of advice on my shells on Phoenix where there were lower end players.

And don't try to strawman me, I specifically pointed out that you complained at someone telling you that you need at least full haste.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-07-22 13:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
No, it shouldn't. This game has been about gear swapping for 11 years. You can't expect any set to have all necessary stats.

The way some of the new pieces are looking, it seems SE even wants to kill gearswapping lol.
[+]
 Asura.Sthrnrebel
By Asura.Sthrnrebel 2013-07-22 13:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, I have every reason to strawman you for that because in the following 2 posts I made after that comment, I stated not that I disagreed with Taruina, but rather that SE's design flaw that *should* have made Kareiyh/Thurandaut/Orvail enough but did not.

I understand completely about capping haste being close to a necessity and I am not disagreeing that my friend does need help gearing, which is what I am doing as a veteran player who understands these concepts. Since apparently I need to spell this out since people can't read between the lines, I agree 5/5 Kareiyh is not OK for TP/WS, which is why I am working on alternative gear for him, however this still promotes what I said above. This is a design flaw on SE's part that we do have to go back to a "previous expansion" for gear since the "current expansion's" BASE gear is not good enough to participate in the entry level content.

Also just for clarification, I said he has Razorfury + 5/5 Kareiyh. I was not going to sit here and list all his gear, like AF3+1 legs and Ravager's ammo (name escaping me). I didn't feel it was pertinent information. I was simply putting he has a top tier weapon for his job and has 5 pieces of SoA entry level gear.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-07-22 13:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think strawman means what you think it means.
[+]
 Asura.Sthrnrebel
By Asura.Sthrnrebel 2013-07-22 13:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably not, I can't say I know what it means, but I figure if he used it to say I am somehow insulting or offending him, then it still applies.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-22 13:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
I don't think strawman means what you think it means.

EVERY. TIME.

FYI my real life name is Dorothy. Go figure.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-22 13:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I used that word cause he has more than once picked things out of my posts just to keep arguing against while talking about things that were not implied.

I don't like when people argue with me like that.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-07-22 13:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

A strawman is an informal logical fallacy where someone misrepresents their opponent's argument in a way that is easy to refute.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-22 13:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I like my version better. D:
 Asura.Sthrnrebel
By Asura.Sthrnrebel 2013-07-22 13:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not picking things out and only responding to one or two points. I am responding to the whole thing. You're just refusing to read everything I am saying because it doesn't agree with your mentality. You have expressed multiple times now the same mentality as the people on the Korean server and don't like it when I called you out on it. If that's me strawmanning you, then by all means, take me to the Wizard.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-07-22 13:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It's spoilered, so I can't see it on this computer. :(
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-22 13:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You didn't read my posts very carefully.
 Asura.Sthrnrebel
By Asura.Sthrnrebel 2013-07-22 13:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, I did, but this little argument is over between us. It's getting offtopic and I don't really feel like being locked out because I am 1 on 1 arguing with you over your elitist mentality.

How about them Yankees?
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-22 13:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's spoilered, so I can't see it on this computer. :(
Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz. lol

I fixed it. LOOK AT IT.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-07-22 13:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I like. I'd [+], but also a limitation of this outdated browser.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-22 13:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I like. I'd [+], but also a limitation of this outdated browser.
The thought of the [+] pleases me. :D
[+]
 Asura.Alucardr
By Asura.Alucardr 2013-07-22 13:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey if you are new to the game and SE didn't insert a Delve weapon in your account there is a solution to start doing Delve!

People are offering KIs for you to be able to get items from plasm farms!!

Only 50mil gil!! You can't miss this chance!

Oh i forgot, you still won't get accepted after having the KIs unless you already had a delve weapon magically inserted in your account.

My bad, forget everything i said.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-22 13:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alucardr said: »
Hey if you are new to the game and SE didn't insert a Delve weapon in your account there is a solution to start doing Delve!

People are offering KIs for you to be able to get items from plasm farms!!

Only 50mil gil!! You can't miss this chance!

Oh i forgot, you still won't get accepted after having the KIs unless you already had a delve weapon magically inserted in your account.

My bad, forget everything i said.
I think this is why I don't wanna come back to play, lol.
 Shiva.Gansito
Server: Shiva
user: Gansito
By Shiva.Gansito 2013-07-22 13:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I have helped many newer players or players that don't receive help from their ls. Of course most of the time the only thing i can do for them is help with a bit of gil or get them certain abyssea gear. As I help them they tell me about how they do in this game. Some of them how their own linkshell will not help them because the people prioritize helping someone else before helping their other members out. I find that , that is okay. But sometimes when you have extra time you can help someone out for a bit. Nothing wrong with helping them out. Some players really are grateful for the help they receive. Other players not so much. I've seen players who are way better geared than me but yet know nothing about this game. I have had delve geared players ask me for help in abyssea. I get their ready to help even sometimes log in with alternate to kill a NM in abyssea and they just start absolutely bashing my gear. Asking me how i intend to kill such nm with what i have. I've told them i have kill nm many times yet they still tell me i cant. So i tell them to just wait a bit and watch. So i pop and kill and then they proceed to lot everything even stuff they don't need and when I tell them that if i can give those to some1 that needs them they replied with "why? that guy is just a noob. it'll just go to waste". then after i get them what they want they never even /wave to me until they need help again and send me a msg if i can help them. I have seen fully "Teal" geared blm/whm ask me for help. I tell them they will have to heal me and to not worry about if they are well enough geared. To just do their best and we can kill Such nm. And they follow instructions and they end up doing a great job. Not only are they grateful but they offer to help me, and send me msg if i need help. Of course there are not many of these type of people but they do exist. Some people just need a helping hand to move on to the next stage so they can be a great asset to any group they join. They just need a bit of time and help from someone to get them to that next stage.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-22 14:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

My thing with the OP article is that the person what was ridiculed said that he was told to look up different articles, etc. Then he said he couldn't comprehend what they were saying.

If I know anything, it's that some people are book smart, and others are more "hands-on" learners. Some people can't read an article and go "I can do that!". Most look at it and read a foreign language, because it's hard to understand initially.

Not everyone can read something and grasp the concept at hand. Especially with FFXI, because FFXI is a lot more than "just get this armor and you'll be good". So many side grades, so many sets to manage, it's crazy. It can be a lot for one person to take in, let alone one person that's just starting out.

I also think that the people returning argument is moot as well. At least the people returning know how to play the game for the most part and can grasp simple mechanics, if not advanced, and can use past lessons to advance in the future. Trying to start fresh without any knowledge is really tough, if not disheartening sometimes. Especially without someone willing to teach you how.

Sometimes "reading about a job" can't teach you how to play it in a real life situation. Teaching >> learning >> applying is key.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Alahra
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Alahra 2013-07-22 17:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »
Sometimes "reading about a job" can't teach you how to play it in a real life situation.

This is very much the case, even with simple jobs that don't require a lot of know-how (like MNK). I've run into a lot of MNKs in plasm farms (just base-level ones) that can't even be bothered to keep Impetus up. Most seem to have at least looked at the guide because their gearsets tend to be close to the recommended ones, but that doesn't do them much good.
By Quiznor 2013-07-22 17:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Alahra said: »
Sometimes "reading about a job" can't teach you how to play it in a real life situation.

This is very much the case, even with simple jobs that don't require a lot of know-how (like MNK). I've run into a lot of MNKs in plasm farms (just base-level ones) that can't even be bothered to keep Impetus up. Most seem to have at least looked at the guide because their gearsets tend to be close to the recommended ones, but that doesn't do them much good.

oh god I remember some people like this that made me laugh/cry/die inside and facepalm all at the same time
 Ragnarok.Alahra
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Alahra 2013-07-22 17:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »

oh god I remember some people like this that made me laugh/cry/die inside and facepalm all at the same time

It hurts me every time. I only picked up MNK because I leveled it for blue procs right before SoA dropped, and it was the only job I really had that was useful in SoA (I dream of a day when I can play NIN outside of Abyssea again >.>). I haven't played all the DD classes at high level, but I'm willing to bet that "keep Impetus up, WS at 100 TP" is about as simple as it gets, and a lot of folks can't even seem to do that.
By Quiznor 2013-07-22 17:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »

It hurts me every time. I only picked up MNK because I leveled it for blue procs right before SoA dropped, and it was the only job I really had that was useful in SoA (I dream of a day when I can play NIN outside of Abyssea again >.>). I haven't played all the DD classes at high level, but I'm willing to bet that "keep Impetus up, WS at 100 TP" is about as simple as it gets, and a lot of folks can't even seem to do that.

The best one for me (wont name names or servers) was getting told I wasnt able to tank on PLD,by a guy who aby burned PLD to 99,and made an aegis without even touching the job. Needless to say,he was high and mighty and taken down a severe amount of pegs the first time he was PLD to LS event lol
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-22 17:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

This was the problem I have with people nowadays when they say "just do research" or "look at this guide". Almost never does it translate into the most perfect way to play the job ever your first go. It almost always goes to ***. Almost always something is going to come up where you need experience to think on your toes to resolve a situation correctly, not what some guide tells you.

Learning from your mistakes is how you better yourself. If you're given no chance to learn, how can you be better?

Edit: I know I used almost always a lot. Almost always.
[+]
By Quiznor 2013-07-22 17:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

This was the problem I have with people nowadays when they say "just do research" or "look at this guide". Almost never does it translate into the most perfect way to play the job ever your first go. It almost always goes to ***. Almost always something is going to come up where you need experience to think on your toes to resolve a situation correctly, not what some guide tells you.

Learning from your mistakes is how you better yourself. If you're given no chance to learn, how can you be better?

Edit: I know I used almost always a lot. Almost always.

The skills are transferable!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8