Charm?!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Charm?!
Charm?!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Nanabi
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Nanabi
By Asura.Nanabi 2013-04-01 03:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cantontai said: »
What you are saying sounds intuitive, but you are ignoring the near certain likelihood that someone who applies themselves to learning a craft will also apply themselves to practicing it. I don't know anyone who spent the time learning a job, gearing it, making macros, and then just shelved it until one day someone said "oh hey we need a DRK" so they gear up and then said "how do I use these JAs? Last resort is just a papa roach macro, right?"
There are poeple on game who has 20 99 jobs and only pull out jobs when they are asked to do so they can join a shout, like a support only COR who keeps rolling on a 6 and bust.
And there are STILL many WHMs or BLMs who use those jobs as a ticket to join fodder events (e.g. aby seal, +2 farm) and ultimately causes deathga.

So yea what you said is actually still happening EVERYDAY unfortunately. D:
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-04-01 03:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Why wouldn't you roll on a 6? :|
 Asura.Nanabi
By Asura.Nanabi 2013-04-01 03:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kiralai said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Practice is necessary, but it doesn't take 75+ levels of grinding to be able to perform your role proficiently.

This, basically. Practice is good, but you only need so much of it before certain elements are "below you" and the potential for further learning just stagnates. There's a lot to be learned through experience, but a reasonably intelligent person can pick things up fairly quickly and not need 75 levels worth of experience to build that skill set.

And I'm gonna be quite honest with you, I feel like I learned more about the nuances of BST after I hit level 99 and geared up (Abyssea burned 75-99) than I ever did from levels 1-75 (exclusively solo/duo outside of Abyssea). The learning curve for Charming, even with mischarms, is just...not that steep.

While I can relate and understand what you said about BST, I certainly am still fond of the idea that mages can be played much better over the grind, cause I am prolly very slow and I have been mags main from start, seeing mages that were burned to 99 and can't do half the ***people would expect makes my teeth cringe. D:
 Asura.Nanabi
By Asura.Nanabi 2013-04-01 03:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Endgame ADL/Legion, buffs ready. In fight/about to pop, busted x1 already, 6 again,5 more min of wait time, seen it.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Server: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-04-01 04:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nanabi said: »
What you are saying sounds intuitive, but you are ignoring the near certain likelihood that someone who applies themselves to learning a craft will also apply themselves to practicing it. I don't know anyone who spent the time learning a job, gearing it, making macros, and then just shelved it until one day someone said "oh hey we need a DRK" so they gear up and then said "how do I use these JAs? Last resort is just a papa roach macro, right?"
There are poeple on game who has 20 99 jobs and only pull out jobs when they are asked to do so they can join a shout, like a support only COR who keeps rolling on a 6 and bust.
And there are STILL many WHMs or BLMs who use those jobs as a ticket to join fodder events (e.g. aby seal, +2 farm) and ultimately causes deathga.

The people you are talking about are almost certainly not the people who spent time reading about a job before they ever took it to Gusgen or whatever. There are plenty of idiots who can't play their jobs, generalizing them all as people who didn't level "the right way" ignores the ease with which a motivated person can obtain the information an "old school xi" person could learn about a job.

I learned how to play BLU at 99 with an augmented, um, whatever the Aby sword is and an Isador. I got my face ripped off quite a bit. It did not take two weeks camping EM mobs. It took more like, two hours with sme extra time sprinkled in for [insert whatever event I hadn't done before here].
 Asura.Nanabi
By Asura.Nanabi 2013-04-01 04:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The people you are talking about are almost certainly not the people who spent time reading about a job before they ever took it to Gusgen or whatever. There are plenty of idiots who can't play their jobs, generalizing them all as people who didn't level "the right way" ignores the ease with which a motivated person can obtain the information an "old school xi" person could learn about a job.

I learned how to play BLU at 99 with an augmented, um, whatever the Aby sword is and an Isador. I got my face ripped off quite a bit. It did not take two weeks camping EM mobs. It took more like, two hours with sme extra time sprinkled in for [insert whatever event I hadn't done before here].
You can have as many "XXX book for dummies", and still have a big margin of dummy population. I didn't learn of FFXIAH till 10 or 11, if I would have learned about it sooner. D:
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-04-01 04:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Endgame ADL/Legion, buffs ready. In fight/about to pop, busted x1 already, 6 again,5 more min of wait time, seen it.
It doesn't take months of experience grinding to know how to minimize the risk of a double bust. Stop inviting dullards if you keep having this problem.
 Bahamut.Kiralai
user: Kiralai
By Bahamut.Kiralai 2013-04-01 04:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Practice is necessary, but it doesn't take 75+ levels of grinding to be able to perform your role proficiently.

This, basically. Practice is good, but you only need so much of it before certain elements are "below you" and the potential for further learning just stagnates. There's a lot to be learned through experience, but a reasonably intelligent person can pick things up fairly quickly and not need 75 levels worth of experience to build that skill set.

And I'm gonna be quite honest with you, I feel like I learned more about the nuances of BST after I hit level 99 and geared up (Abyssea burned 75-99) than I ever did from levels 1-75 (exclusively solo/duo outside of Abyssea). The learning curve for Charming, even with mischarms, is just...not that steep.

While I can relate and understand what you said about BST, I certainly am still fond of the idea that mages can be played much better over the grind, cause I am prolly very slow and I have been mags main from start, seeing mages that were burned to 99 and can't do half the ***people would expect makes my teeth cringe. D:

There were lazy/questionable WHMs all over the place back at 75 cap too though. I was a Hume WHM-for-life back in that day, and people seemed to think I was special just because I could see a mob readying a TP move and have the relevant status debuff removed from them before they ever saw it's effect. It was mostly just studying monster family move lists and memorizing though. Practice did help for sure, but a bulk of it came from study. I don't think the lack of a 1-75 grind is the biggest problem with mages these days. I think it's laziness/lack of desire to learn and improve because a lot of the content is a zerg-fest or a proc-fest with replenishing temp items and there isn't much need for anything beyond cure-bombing with appropriate fast cast/cure sets. Good WHMs will still shine over bad ones but a lot of the time lazy half-assed WHMing is sufficient. Not ideal, obviously, but sufficient. That's the biggest problem. But I feel like a tool for even posting this in a BST thread.
[+]
 Asura.Nanabi
By Asura.Nanabi 2013-04-01 04:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I should've stopped a few posts ago too D: back to "Charm" discussion.

Anyone seen any new gear that can enhance the time duration/effectiveness of the JA yet?
[+]
 Bahamut.Zangada
user: zangada
By Bahamut.Zangada 2013-04-01 05:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing new that I know of, heres my set if it helps.

ItemSet 271090
[+]
 Fenrir.Killercat
Server: Fenrir
user: killercat
By Fenrir.Killercat 2013-04-01 06:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how a topic about BST being able to charm a lot of the new mobs in new areas became a fight over who had it worse no one has a right to *** about who did this or who did that it was my choice and who ever else to solo a job to 75 or w/e and if you didnt want to solo you made your own party im sure most BST who took there job to 75 solo along with other people and there jobs had there reasons <School, Work, Fun, keeping all the loot/seals to your self>

Sorry for all the spelling and or grammar 4:45am >.> going to bed
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2013-04-01 06:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question, since I can't just log in and test it myself til I can pay my bills and have enough spending money to fix my comp.
Doesn't Charm+ gear cap out at double duration(Charm+20)?

Cool thanks, I remember being told it cap'd at 20 when I was leveling it way back when and didn't research further.
EDIT:
I'd probably use this; I generally re-charm a pet between each fight to make sure I don't lose a pet during it, unless I get links; then I pray.
ItemSet 294847
 Bahamut.Kiralai
By Bahamut.Kiralai 2013-04-01 07:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
Quick question, since I can't just log in and test it myself til I can pay my bills and have enough spending money to fix my comp.

Doesn't Charm+ gear cap out at double duration(Charm+20)?

Testing linked from BGWiki would suggest not:

Quote:
Kuftal Delver - 12:26 (CHR 101, Even Match+0) 746 Seconds
Base Duration = (1.25 * 101 CHR) + 150 = 276
Charm Duration = (276 * (1 + [0.05 * 34])) = 745 Seconds

+34 charm used, and it all counted.
By Antonaki 2013-04-01 07:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Been a while since i used my charm gear but didn't CHR have a cap at 75? If so what was it, 120? Will it have changed at 99?
 Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk
Guide Maker
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Falkirk
By Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk 2013-04-01 08:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT:
I'd probably use this; I generally re-charm a pet between each fight to make sure I don't lose a pet during it, unless I get links; then I pray.
ItemSet 294847

This is an excellent set. Very high CHR+, should be able to charm most Adoulin mobs without difficulty... I'd use something similar if inventory wasn't a concern. Charm duration should be ~7.5mins for level 100 monsters, 3.5~4mins for level 101.

BST can't wear Skald earring though. ; ;
[+]
By Toebag 2013-04-01 08:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Couldn't find any info regarding Chatoyant Staff and Charm. Been wondering for a while about it actually.

Does it have exactly the same buff as an Apollo's Staff? +15%?
By Chimerawizard 2013-04-01 08:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

nice catch. there's another +3 chr earring at least. I'll fix.

either Reverie Earring +1 or Epsilon Earring
 Bismarck.Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Server: Bismarck
user: Nahh
By Bismarck.Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh 2013-04-01 11:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of us "noob bsts" have all the aforementioned charm gear except maybe the earrings/rings/belt just because you should have that stuff already even if all you did was jug spam.

Maybe it's just me, but really fortunately for me most of the charm gear has other benefits that were needed prior to charm being viable again therefore I either have it already or am trying to get it still.
 Siren.Attaxia
Server: Siren
user: Attaxia
By Siren.Attaxia 2013-04-01 15:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Toebag said: »
Couldn't find any info regarding Chatoyant Staff and Charm. Been wondering for a while about it actually.

Does it have exactly the same buff as an Apollo's Staff? +15%?
Yes.

ItemSet 294896
I'm using this set and I am charming Tough non-resistant mob types accurately. I don't believe packing your inv full of CHR gear for a minimal increase on charm accuracy is a good idea when you could be using that space for other useful sets.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2013-04-01 23:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Only really would have use if you are banking on a ~ VT + mob to familiar, or on a family with a resist charm trait; other than that, it really is wasted inventory.

Edit: I would still replace Relic+2 legs for AF+1. That's an extra charm+3 and chr+6 for one inventory space.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2013-04-02 03:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok Charm is back and I'm kinda glad, used to love charm back in the days at 75.
Altough the real question here is another:

Is it viable?
No EM pets as far as I can see, only T-VT, for which Charm won't last long (less than 5 minutes with Charm+30?) unless we take into account the 45mins of Familiar.
No Ready but just Sic and, worst thing of all imho, no Snarl, which is especially needed after what I've read about the current state of enmity.

I'm not drawing conclusions, don't get me wrong. I'm looking for opinions :)
Didn't have a chance to play with BST myself, yet.
By Toebag 2013-04-02 05:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I was landing charm consistently on the Tough crickets with a rather basic charm set (AF1 and +30 CHR).

Had only one mischarm, i'd say it's certainly a viable option. May just have to recharm every fight or two. Gonna play around in the areas again, might try butterflies this time.
 Bahamut.Kiralai
By Bahamut.Kiralai 2013-04-02 09:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Ok Charm is back and I'm kinda glad, used to love charm back in the days at 75.
Altough the real question here is another:

Is it viable?
No EM pets as far as I can see, only T-VT, for which Charm won't last long (less than 5 minutes with Charm+30?) unless we take into account the 45mins of Familiar.
No Ready but just Sic and, worst thing of all imho, no Snarl, which is especially needed after what I've read about the current state of enmity.

I'm not drawing conclusions, don't get me wrong. I'm looking for opinions :)
Didn't have a chance to play with BST myself, yet.

It works well for reives. I just Charm and Familiar, since job abilities (including 1-hours) get reset during reives anyway, assuming you've done the Scaredy Cats quest. To be honest, I haven't even bothered yet with a Charm+ set, since I haven't had any mischarms using only Chatoyant's staff and I don't use BST in Adoulin for anything but reives yet...
 Siren.Attaxia
By Siren.Attaxia 2013-04-02 12:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: I would still replace Relic+2 legs for AF+1. That's an extra charm+3 and chr+6 for one inventory space.
Agreed.
Is it viable?
The key reason BST used to charm EMs was because anything over that impaired exp gain, a factor that is now almost completely irrelevant.

There is still little reason to use Charm other than fun, Jug pets and use of snarl are too valuable to pass up. If there are any NMs out in the field however, charm will regain it's former glory.
I haven't even bothered yet with a Charm+ set, since I haven't had any mischarms
Charm+ is for duration only, CHR is accuracy.
[+]
By Walshie 2013-04-08 20:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That is not true. CHR matters for duration as well.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Charm_Duration
 Siren.Attaxia
By Siren.Attaxia 2013-04-09 14:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say otherwise.
 Leviathan.Goldengreg
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Goldengreg 2013-05-03 05:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't play anymore (trying to get back to the game but very busy atm) but I'm happy to see that the little conversation about "how BST were unhappy with the irrevelance of Charm" I had with one of the game planners have not been forgotten even with all the wine and beer involved :)
 Gilgamesh.Schmule
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Kloroform
By Gilgamesh.Schmule 2013-05-03 05:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

unless we take into account the 45mins of Familiar.

Just checking, but isn't it 40 mins not 45? 30 Mins standard +10 mins from the Mst. Pants.

Side note, I Looked into the -familiar recast time evolith upgrades and for an extra 4 mins I don't think it'd be worth the hassle, cost or inv. space!
By Chimerawizard 2013-05-03 06:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

ya, 40 min.
Also, I totally forgot about the lv75 synergy equips that augment 1hr abilities. Don't think i'd go for it either.
 Gilgamesh.Schmule
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Kloroform
By Gilgamesh.Schmule 2013-05-03 07:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

To clarify as well, that would be 4 min off the timer, not 4 min added to the duration (1 min each piece - legs excluded)

If you could get Evolith that gave 2 min off, it'd be a must!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7