End of FFXIV
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 9 10 11
 Bahamut.Aelissa
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ivinora
By Bahamut.Aelissa 2012-11-12 02:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

nah, not the leveling down ;) i don't miss that at all lol.

more in a sense that the drops where rather easy to get for the prime fights, and if you lost you could just wait 5 min and jump right in again, while in XI for stuff like prime fights ect. you would have to wait some hours before you could try again, i know it sounds funny but not having to wait for hours took alot of suspense out of it, and to me it just made me feel nothing was lost that way... .

(but don't worry about it ;P cause i know i'm prob. the only person who felt this way).
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-12 02:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aelissa said: »

more in a sense that the drops where rather easy to get for the prime fights, and if you lost you could just wait 5 min and jump right in again, while in XI for stuff like prime fights ect. you would have to wait some hours before you could try again, i know it sounds funny but not having to wait for hours took alot of suspense out of it, and to me it just made me feel nothing was lost that way... .

(but don't worry about it ;P cause i know i'm prob. the only person who felt this way).

In what fight did in XI did you have to wait HOURS to redo? Other than instance raids like Einherjar/Limbus/Dynamis? I'm just not seeing what your complaint is and how that relates to something not in 14 :(
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2012-11-12 02:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »

In what fight did in XI did you have to wait HOURS to redo? Other than instance raids like Einherjar/Limbus/Dynamis? I'm just not seeing what your complaint is and how that relates to something not in 14 :(

Well, NMs could take a long time >.>
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-11-12 02:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of the level capped CoP fights required or at least were made easier with 2hr abilities ready. Really can't say I miss that though...
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-12 02:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Some of the CoP fights required or at least were made easier with 2hr abilities ready. Really can't say I miss that though...

2h moves =/= an actual time limit placed on retrying a fight though.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-11-12 02:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, I have no idea what that person means either.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-11-12 02:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

She/he's saying that there's no repercussions for losing. The fight can be done ad nauseam until you get the loot you desire. Compare that to Sky, requiring effort and time investment on large cool-down spawn NMs, and then a mediocre drop rate on top of it. Add competition into the mix and it becomes even more painful to lose or not get the yield you desired. By direct contrast, when it does pay-off, you feel a large gratification.
 Bahamut.Aelissa
By Bahamut.Aelissa 2012-11-12 02:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

well i actually did mean it like limbus/dyna ect. yes ;) where if you lost you wouldn't be able to go back in for atleast 24hours-3days orso

I'm not saying i miss those waits for days and hours, but i'm just saying not having them really takes away my feel of accomplishment sometimes (as i said if you would lose the fight no biggy just try till you win). and to me it would make things less intresting or make me lose the "lets kick some butt" attitude.

;) but like i said i know this is just me (and mainly that every MMO i have played so far has to deal with cooldown timers if you lose a fight), since my bf didn't seem to take any problems in it at all lol
 Bahamut.Aelissa
By Bahamut.Aelissa 2012-11-12 02:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

yep thank you for helping me explain Tikal (i have a hard time clearing things up sometimes ;) )
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-11-12 02:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yw. It's what I do.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-12 02:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

OK. Fair enough. I understand your complaint now, I just don't understand how that's an issue lol. To each their own though.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-11-12 02:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Latifah said: »
Ya.. that DIM sunlight will do good eh? because ffxi is shining so bright with such rehashed content, not even the new expan will get subs. Game is dead, it's scary how they keep rehashing older areas instead making brand new zones.

Qilin, particularly, just makes me laugh.

Voidwatch has a couple bosses that are just carbon copies. I don't care if there's a story reason, it's lazy and terrible.

I don't mind recycling zones that much.. they found creative ways to do it ("the beastmen won in this dimension") and I was always fond of WotG restoring the zones to their proper beauty but I knew when WotG came out, nothing would ever be as beautiful as Sea again.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-12 02:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Was back reading this thread because I didn't see it when you all first posted in it.. ACTUALLY you of all people should know just how much story was in that CS. You said you played at least up to the Raven BC so you knew all the background. How can you say that CS didn't tell the end to our story? WTF? You said you don't understand "fanboyism" but I just plain don't understand your blind hatred for this...

I didn't say "CS didn't tell the end to our story" - -

Blind hate? Such easy word to use on anyone expressing opinion? I think I've listed logical reason why special effect in CS =/= good story. If it's blind hate I'd just say "FFXIV sucked, gtfo". I wouldn't type a 3 paragraph long post?

I simply expressed my disappointment in terms of FFXIV's story performance, on top of couldn't understand why everyone said it's awesome, just based on CS full of special effect. I just couldn't understand why all those "I regret missing FFXIV after I see CS" comment.

When everyone said FF12(or insert your least fav FF title here) has shitty story with no memorable characters, anyone ever come up and defend for it? No.It's commonly accepted fact that 12 has shitty story.

So why suddenly everyone defend for FF14's story and as if it's zomg awesome? I had pretty high hope on story presentation when I started this game. I wanted memorable characters and script that will last after 20 years in my mind. What you think that among all the media, what makes FFXIV stands out? If I'm going to make a poll, of 20 best character in this century, what makes you think any character in 14 can get onto the list? If I'm going to make a poll, about 20 best story twist in this decade, can FFXIV get on it? Obviously hardly. Have you ever seen anyone telling you "I played FFXIV recently, and story is super awesome compare with every film/manga/anime I've seen in my whole life"? Rarely, tbh.
 Lakshmi.Galith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2012-11-12 02:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to imagine the Van Darnus fight on a 2hr cooldown after losing and if I'd find that a good thing or not. I think I'd personally rather have a challenge and no timer. Most things like limbus, dynamis, and what not were not very challenging so having the timer made it more of a "lottery fun".
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-12 02:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Latifah said: »
Ya.. that DIM sunlight will do good eh? because ffxi is shining so bright with such rehashed content, not even the new expan will get subs. Game is dead, it's scary how they keep rehashing older areas instead making brand new zones.

Qilin, particularly, just makes me laugh.

Voidwatch has a couple bosses that are just carbon copies. I don't care if there's a story reason, it's lazy and terrible.

I don't mind recycling zones that much.. they found creative ways to do it ("the beastmen won in this dimension") and I was always fond of WotG restoring the zones to their proper beauty but I knew when WotG came out, nothing would ever be as beautiful as Sea again.

And then SoA comes out and you get everything you all wanted (new zones, new mobs, 1 new instance type scenario, and the "build the realm" stuff). Until everybody does all the content in 2 weeks and gets pissed the story started off so short lol. Everybody will Abyssea burn Geo and Rnf to 99 in 2 days tops and ***will be back to before SoA came out lol.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-11-12 02:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

well i actually did mean it like limbus/dyna ect. yes ;) where if you lost you wouldn't be able to go back in for atleast 24hours-3days orso

I'm not saying i miss those waits for days and hours, but i'm just saying not having them really takes away my feel of accomplishment sometimes (as i said if you would lose the fight no biggy just try till you win). and to me it would make things less intresting or make me lose the "lets kick some butt" attitude.

;) but like i said i know this is just me (and mainly that every MMO i have played so far has to deal with cooldown timers if you lose a fight), since my bf didn't seem to take any problems in it at all lol
I can see the merit in that but it's still not something I have the urge to experience again.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-12 02:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Me and my BF went back a few months before the servers went down to get a last taste of the game and see what had changed (since the last time we played before was around the summer event with those skimpy bikini's).

while this game did get better, it still didn't spark my intrest to mutch, the leveling was so boring (and we duo'd alot to try and make it more intresting) after about 1 month i went from archer 1-50 (wich for me is alittle too fast, since we didn't play alot either so :/).

for the battles and storylines, well the storyline was verry intresting though the battles idk :/ i didn't do many things in the endgame area (i got my AF and did ifrit and garuda battles).
they still kinda bored me, even if we where doing the hard once. mainly cause i didn't feel like if we where going to die that i would have lost anything...

so all in all FFXIV so far to me was alittle bland,
but i hope 2.0 will be my new home, i'm planning to restart from 0 after it comes out and some irl friends are joining me so...
but i don't think FFXIV should look anything like XI to be a good game, i do think FFXIV did some new intresting things too (i really really loved the crafting system in XIV)

FFXI is a bad game, stay away from it, FAR away from it. Don't try to copy it in anyway.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-12 02:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »

Was back reading this thread because I didn't see it when you all first posted in it.. ACTUALLY you of all people should know just how much story was in that CS. You said you played at least up to the Raven BC so you knew all the background. How can you say that CS didn't tell the end to our story? WTF? You said you don't understand "fanboyism" but I just plain don't understand your blind hatred for this...

Blind hate? Such easy word to use on anyone expressing opinion? I think I've listed logical reason why special effect in CS =/= good story. If it's blind hate I'd just say "FFXIV sucked, gtfo". I wouldn't type a 3 paragraph long post?

I simply expressed my disappointment in terms of FFXIV's story performance, on top of couldn't understand why everyone said it's awesome, just based on CS full of special effect. I just couldn't understand why all those "I regret missing FFXIV after I see CS" comment.

When everyone said FF12(or insert your least fav FF title here) has shitty story with no memorable characters, anyone ever come up and defend for it? No.It's commonly accepted fact that 12 has shitty story.

So why suddenly everyone defend for FF14's story and as if it's zomg awesome? I had pretty high hope on story presentation when I started this game. I wanted memorable characters and script that will last after 20 years in my mind. What you think that among all the media, what makes FFXIV stands out? If I'm going to make a poll, of 20 best character in this century, what makes you think any character in 14 can get onto the list? If I'm going to make a poll, about 20 best story twist in this decade, can FFXIV get on it? Obviously hardly. Have you ever seen anyone telling you "I played FFXIV recently, and story is super awesome compare with every film/manga/anime I've seen in my whole life"? Rarely, tbh.

LOL @ you expecting any game to be the best story every made of all time.. Come on now. Your expectations sounds unreasonably unrealistic. What FF game has a story that is "so great" 20 yrs down the line? Oh right, none of them. Even my favorite FF (4)'s story has been done before. It had the best story out of all the FF games imho, but it's a basic story of redemption and a once bad character reforming and doing great things. FF14's story was actually quite fantastic if you ask me. I really do rank it in the top 4 FF stories. Who said it had to have twists to be good anyways? I really don't get any of your argument here... You said the CS didn't tell a good story, when it actually did. It told a wonderful ending (with no words, mind you), to our chapter in 14.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-11-12 02:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm the same Pleeb. It was neat for what it was, when it was, but it's not something I'm looking forward to ever doing again. At the same time though, instant-gratification or astronomically asinine drop rates aren't something I'm interested in either.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-11-12 02:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You said the CS didn't tell a good story, when it actually did. It told a wonderful ending (with no words, mind you), to our chapter in 14.
I'm pretty sure Louisoix screamed "***" when the Circle's summon failed. Or was that just me?
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-11-12 02:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I finally got Fajin boots off Qilin tonight.. the fourth kill of six.. upteen-millionth total time I've fought Qilin.

Next kill I "Got" Fajin again.

/facepalm
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-12 02:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
I'm the same Pleeb. It was neat for what it was, when it was, but it's not something I'm looking forward to ever doing again. At the same time though, instant-gratification or astronomically asinine drop rates aren't something I'm interested in either.

And 14 has basically neither of that. The drops you get from NMs are well earned (in the case of like Dodore, and Ifrit, and Garuda and Van Darnus). They are short fights, but very hard to master. The final Raven fight, people took WEEKS to try to finish, spamming it non-stop and they still couldn't win. It was a very good challenge and well designed imho.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-12 02:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL @ you expecting any game to be the best story every made of all time.. Come on now. Your expectations sounds unreasonably unrealistic. What FF game has a story that is "so great" 20 yrs down the line? Oh right, none of them. Even my favorite FF (4)'s story has been done before. It had the best story out of all the FF games imho, but it's a basic story of redemption and a once bad character reforming and doing great things. FF14's story was actually quite fantastic if you ask me. I really do rank it in the top 4 FF stories. Who said it had to have twists to be good anyways? I really don't get any of your argument here... You said the CS didn't tell a good story, when it actually did. It told a wonderful ending (with no words, mind you), to our chapter in 14.

I guess that's the emotional thing then, and depends on ppl. 14's ending CS doesn't evoke any emotion from me, nor raven BC, nor any CS besides moogle fight. FF4's story, however, I still remember every single character in FF4, and their jobs, even after all those years. It's been done yes, but it still stays.

It isn't totally unreasonable and unrealistic if FF4 can stay in my mind for many years no? So if FF4 can do it without flashy FMV, why can't FF14 do it with flashy FMV? Obviously they need more work on it.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-12 03:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess that's the emotional thing then, and depends on ppl. 14's ending CS doesn't evoke any emotion from me, nor raven BC, nor any CS besides moogle fight. FF4's story, however, I still remember every single character in FF4, and their jobs, even after all those years. It's been done yes, but it still stays.

Isn't totally unreasonable and unrealistic if FF4 can stay in my mind for many years no? So if FF4 can do it without flashy FMV, why can't FF14 do it with flashy FMV? Obviously they need more work on it.

And it's not SE's fault you didn't pay enough attention to the story? There was a lot of it in 14, despite being semi-short. And if you remember all the characters years down the road, you obviously played through FF4 quite a few times like I have. That's not a lasting story, that's you refreshing your mind once in awhile about it. FMV literally has nothing to do with a game being good or not though story wise. FF14 did tell a great story and didn't use a lot of FMVs at all really. It had cut scenes, but none of them were FMV but the intro, and that last trailer. The story is there, you obviously just didn't pay enough attention to 14's.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-11-12 03:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Apples and oranges. 14 doesn't have specific characters you can attach to because the main protagonist is essentially a silent-protagonist that you personally identify with. Hence, there can be no strong character development. Executed properly, supporting characters (Ala Chrono Trigger) can enhance this, but an MMO doesn't suit this type of venue as you don't party with NPCs often enough, or long enough, for proper development to take place.

Also, I'd suggest you consider if you have nostalgia glasses on or not.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-12 03:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll refer you to somebody's post earlier on this thread with all the story stuff from FF14 so far. Note they said it was 5 hours long... So clearly there is a ton of story.
 Asura.Escorian
Server: Asura
user: Escorian
By Asura.Escorian 2012-11-12 03:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's in my mind. The storyline I thought was great.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Galith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2012-11-12 03:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you think having a selectable difficulty with corresponding drop rates would make things more interesting? I know a lot of mmos try not to make things very difficult because they still have to get the casual crowd.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-12 03:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Apples and oranges. 14 doesn't have specific characters you can attach to because the main protagonist is essentially a silent-protagonist that you personally identify with. Hence, there can be no strong character development. Executed properly, supporting characters (Ala Chrono Trigger) can enhance this, but an MMO doesn't suit this type of venue as you don't party with NPCs often enough, or long enough, for proper development to take place.

Also, I'd suggest you consider if you have nostalgia glasses on or not.

Yeah, I didn't even really think of this point. FF14's "main character" is you. It's not a story being told about characters, it's you interacting with it. Thanks Tikal, that kind of explains it further as well.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-11-12 03:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever notice how FFXI always has a "main character" that isn't you? They support your character, they even develop your character with genial positive traits, but if you were to be removed, everything could still take place given the right substitutes. Basically, it's a silent protagonist sewn into an already existing story. It works well, honestly, but still won't ever compare to a real story told on its own merit because a silent protagonist is inherently flawed, and we know this, which causes a partial suspension-of-disbelief. As characters, we're told we're the main character, but we're really the sword-arm of the true main character.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 9 10 11