Is A Mythic Even Feasible Anymore For A Newbie?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is a Mythic even feasible anymore for a newbie?
Is a Mythic even feasible anymore for a newbie?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-29 20:47:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Tickmeoff said: »
How far behind other DDs is a DRG without Ryunohige, exactly?

Take a similarly geared WAR and DRG for example. If the WAR is capable of 1000 DPS, what should the DRG be capable of? 800-900 at best? Or is the job so much weaker inherently that it can't even put out 80% of what a WAR is capable of?

If Ryunohige is 40% better than Gungnir (per the DPS sheets) and Ryunohige is on par with an equally geared WAR (people could debate this, but that at least means it's debatable). This means that Gungnir is about 70% as good as an equally geared WAR.

So the answer to your final question is yes.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-29 20:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Keeping in mind that I'm mostly pulling that out of my ***, probably third tier.
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2012-11-29 21:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Oh whatever, Ryunohige is the only Polearm that lets DRG be a competitive with the other 2H jobs.

Top Tier: Kogarasumune SAM, Ragnarok DRK, Ukonvasara WAR, Ryunohige DRG

Second tier would be something like: Amano/Masamune SAM, Conqueror WAR, Sphara/Verth MNK

Third Tier would be: Apocalypse DRK, Ragnarok WAR

Fourth Tier: Starts to include Magians GSs and other R/Ex options, also included Gungnir

Fifth Tier: Rhongo and 1H jobs

That's how large the gap between Gungnir and Ryunohige is.

also curious as to where you think Annihilator belongs >___________>;
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-29 21:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't understand how or why people hold MNK in such high regard for DD, it isn't that impressive.

To be so significant that it's outpacing Ragnarok WARs, and to be no less than three tiers ahead of other 1h jobs, seems off to me since it's only got two things giving it any sort of push that other one handed jobs don't have, neither of which being overly significant: base damage and Impetus. Victory Smite and Shijin Spiral aren't that great, the weapons they're attached to aren't any better than anything else, and MNK's got a pretty poor multiattack rate compared to pretty much any other 1h job. So really, all it's got is the crit rate/crit dmg/atk/acc from impetus which is largely reliant on hitrate, and even at cap averages lowish around 8%c/c+16atk, and the extra base damage per fist which is largely mitigated by other job's superior attack frequency, and thus, usually, weaponskill rates.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-11-29 21:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Keeping in mind that I'm mostly pulling that out of my ***, probably third tier.

I think that's the answer you're looking for. Not that I don't trust Byrth or his judgement, but if you're taking exception I don't know how set in stone he is with that assessment.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-29 21:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranged attacks are so different from melee damage that it's difficult to put them in the hierarchy.

Low buffs against a high level enemy, Ranged Attack compares very favorably (like in Odin v2).

High buffs against a high level enemy, it's less favorable but still competitive depending on how much you value their ability to avoid AoEs (like in Legion).

Against a lower level enemy with high buffs (something like ADL), Ranger is going to get trashed.

Against a lower level enemy with low buffs, Ranger is going to be competitive with a K-club but probably not without.

If you add a Bard, melee essentially cap magic Haste and their damage grows exponentially, while Ranger just gains a few minuets (unless they're K-clubbing, in which case you sacrifice the main advantage of RNG). The minuets definitely help them, but not nearly as much as the melee are helped by Marches. That's why Ranger tends to hurt in situations where you can maintain a high buff level and meleeing the monster is feasible. SE needs to adjust the damage system or Ranger job in some way to compensate for this, and until they do Ranger will only be useful for oddball fights like Odin v2. Not that that's too terrible, considering Odin v2 is one of the two LS Alliance events at the moment.

I have seen Anni RNGs parse ~10% of the damage in Voidwatch fights without extra buffs in the mage party, which is more than I've seen some melee do. In the same situation (with buffs), though, the Ukognaroks were parsing ~25%. If you made the buff level even, it would probably be something more like 23% vs. 15%. That's not terrible in terms of a voidwatch damage split, but that's still the Ukon WAR doing 50% more damage than the Anni.

For Hall of Mul in Legion, we tried DDx3, BRD, COR, WHM / RNG x4, COR, BRD for a while. The best Ranger would parse something like 13% and the best DD would parse ~23%. I don't know if our rangers were just bad (the best one's WS numbers were better than those in the parses I was sent of people using the same strategy) or what the problem was, but there was a massive difference in the potential damage in that event.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-29 21:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Decimus said: »

I think that's the answer you're looking for. Not that I don't trust Byrth or his judgement, but if you're taking exception I don't know how set in stone he is with that assessment.

It isn't close to the first time I've seen MNK put into such high standing though, which is why it confuses me. Outside of people like pchan who are just fanatical about the job, anyway.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-11-29 21:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

It isn't close to the first time I've seen MNK put into such high standing though, which is why it confuses me. Outside of people like pchan who are just fanatical about the job, anyway.
Second tier is pretty accurate for Verethragna.

Plus your impetus averages are about half of what they really are.
[+]
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-11-29 21:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bryth I have parsed a lot of RNGs here on Asura, but I have only seen 4 of them worth their salt as a DD. I'm not sure why so many are not keeping up as a lot of them have exceptional gear.

Parse results show that RNGs with same buffs etc are shooting a lot less than the 4 RNG I mentioned here. So that's most likely their problem. People just aren't shooting as fast as they could be!

I don't know about the RNG in your linkshell, but good RNGs seem to be very rare and far and inbetween.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-29 21:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

In chambers where they didn't die, our Rangers fired within a few shots of one another. Either they're all bad at firing shots or they're all good, I guess. I know that they all used spellcast to pre-shot in Snapshot gear and switched to damage/STP gear mid-shot.

Re:Proth

Because when I parse them, that's what the ones that aren't idiots come out as. Longer answer here:

I can't run a comparison with something like BLU because it would take me way too long to figure out the ideal TP set, traits, etc.

Here it is for DNC instead
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-29 22:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hotsoups said: »
Bryth I have parsed a lot of RNGs here on Asura, but I have only seen 4 of them worth their salt as a DD. I'm not sure why so many are not keeping up as a lot of them have exceptional gear.

Parse results show that RNGs with same buffs etc are shooting a lot less than the 4 RNG I mentioned here. So that's most likely their problem. People just aren't shooting as fast as they could be!

I don't know about the RNG in your linkshell, but good RNGs seem to be very rare and far and inbetween.

Because majority of players doesn't play offensive enough, nor use spellcast. Majority of players I met in VW often against parsing, and often go "OO elitist, who care about dmg" if they know ally is parsing. And if they don't care about dmg, then they're not going to deal good dmg.

To deal good dmg on /ra job(or any melee job really), you need to click macro very fast or use spellcast. Switch to TP set or /ra before WS animation went off. What separates good DD and bad DDs, 90% of time are their macro clicking speed(on top of appropriate WS avg and acc). Gears actually made less difference than macro speed.

Majority of the relic/empy RNG I've pt with actually did better than empy COR though. Most of the RNGs at least shoots more and have better acc. 95% of CORs I pt with either don't shoot, and only rely on regain/fireshot/wings for TP. Out of 5% that shoots, only less than 3 ppl have appropriated acc and shoots fast enough, rest of the players just randomly and rarely shoot, with terrible acc. Last PW I did a 90 empy WAR with full phorcy also only did 5% with 2hr. I'd say the population of gimp RNGs isn't that high compare with other DD jobs.
 Fenrir.Mesic
Server: Fenrir
user: Mesic
By Fenrir.Mesic 2012-11-29 22:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is Ryu's mentioned in every discussion about the best weapon or weapons in the game if you're speaking with people that have any knowledge of the game. It seems you're only now encountering these people.

I knew mythic was the best, it was a mistake of names or me thinking Gungir was the mythic polearm weapon, in short. I was ridic high on a cheeba chew. 2011-12's High times magazine's edible of the year, represent.
By dedrummer000 2012-11-29 23:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Refreshtwo said: »
it questionable if a Rune Fencer and Geomancer Mythic will be added it fits in with the story do to Balrahn going all over the world to get his Mythics that why Dancer and Scholar Mythics fit.

SE made some comment a while ago about adding mythics for them, it was when people were complaining about cor sch dnc ect didnt get a relic, saying it was unbalanced, blah blah, but saying that since mythics are jobs specific, it would be possible to add mythics for the new jobs.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-11-29 23:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure Rune Fencer was in line to get a GS mythic from what I remember.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-29 23:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

IIRC, SE stated that they weren't even 100% that Rune Fencers would use Great Swords and that it was just concept art so their weapon type could be pretty much anything. But yes, I know a few people that are saving Alexandrite for the mythic GS already.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-11-30 01:04:31
Link | Quote | Reply

They said "equivalents" for armor/weapons... not that the jobs would get one but that what they end up getting will be comparable.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-30 01:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

IIRC, SE stated that they weren't even 100% that Rune Fencers would use Great Swords and that it was just concept art so their weapon type could be pretty much anything. But yes, I know a few people that are saving Alexandrite for the mythic GS already.

I believe at Vanafest they said they would use both, GS being the main weapon. I'd have to try to dig up the translated results though. I think Camate mentioned it.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-30 01:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
They said "equivalents" for armor/weapons... not that the jobs would get one but that what they end up getting will be comparable.

They've actually said both.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-30 01:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Ragnarok.Kongming said: »

They've actually said both.

I think you're right, but didn't Camate's latest post on the topic retract the "mythic" statement with "something equivalent"?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-30 01:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Something equivalent was the more recent post, yeah. But these are the dev posts, sometimes I think they run the original japanese through translation party a few times before they actually translate it.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-30 01:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough lol.
 Lakshmi.Tanama
user: JDvasquez
By Lakshmi.Tanama 2012-11-30 02:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's that old quote from Camate:

Quote:
Greetings,

To answer the question about "why can't these new jobs also use relics?"

The main reason why rune fencers and geomancers will be unable to equip Relic and Empyrean weapons is because those weapons were created and balanced around the jobs that existed at the time. This is also the reason that blue mage, corsair, puppetmaster, dancer and scholar were never given access to relic weapons.

However, as Mythic weapons are job-specific, it won't be a problem to design a weapon that is best suited specifically for rune fencers or geomancers.

As an additional note, when we release content for these new jobs in Seekers of Adoulin, they will be able to earn the equivalent of Relic equipment, Empyrean equipment, and Mythic weapons. We simply used these terms to make it clearer and we haven't officially decided on what names these types of equipment will take.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-30 14:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Plus your impetus averages are about half of what they really are.

I get 14/14/28 when not including downtime. Would be interested to see your methods of calculating the average value of Impetus

So what screws Dancer over and makes it non-competitive?
1) Low attack, which isn't actually an issue once you get buffed all to ***
2) 1H Ratio cap, just like Monk
3) Lower Crit rate than Monk
4) The delay following WS <------
5) Exenterator isn't competitive with Victory Smite or Shijin Spiral <----

1 is no more an issue for BLU, DNC, etc. than it is for MNK, really. BLU makes up for it somewhat by being able to wear 27~ attack in its offhand, as well as other sources of extra attack. In high buff situations the difference will diminish.

2, same thing.

3, barely. I don't know about other jobs, but a BLU would be TPing in far more DEX, and possibly other forms of crit rate, than a MNK would be, and has a natural advantage in crit rate on weaponskill. The difference for critical hits would mostly come from the crit dmg+ from Impetus rather than rate itself. MNK can't do that, and it has to sacrifice a bit to be able to do it as effectively during weaponskill before even considering CDC's hard advantage. It's up to a 15% difference, depending, which would match or exceed Impetus.

4, would partially affect a job like BLU, whose WS frequency would be slightly higher than MNK, but not enough to cause such an immense adverse effect as to cause major disparity between the two, particularly when you consider that...

5, Chant du Cygne is a superior weaponskill to either.
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2012-11-30 15:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hotsoups said: »

Have you seen what ammo they TP in though? And what is the split between ws damage and normal shots?

On my server i've seen more than a couple annihilator rngs drop down to dark adaman/orich/steel bullets when they arent sqeezing off barrage/ws which has gotta create some noticable discrepancy in a parse. I die inside when I see an anni rng with cheap ammo.

All gear being close to equal, someone is cutting corners on ammo or food. That or they need to press their RA macro faster...
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-30 16:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

How is CDC superior to Victory Smite?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-30 16:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Missed some things in your analysis:
* Monk almost certainly TPs in more STR than BLU, considering the 20 on their weapon, 6 advantage from job, Black Belt, and AF3+2 body/head.
* I get Monk at a 5% DPS advantage over BLU even assuming equal fSTR at capped delay.
* Including the offhand, CDC and VS are both 4 hits and 2.25 fTP on the first hit. VS is 60% STR, while CDC is 60% DEX. Also, H2H base damage starts out ~25 higher than Sword before the mod (>10% increase in base damage). CDC has an extra 5% Critical Hit Rate at 100TP, which is actually less than that because you both wear the Moonshade and the 200TP crit rate for both WSs is 25%, and it might have slightly more crit rate... if you ignore that Monk gets Impetus (which gives critical hit rate/damage, accuracy, and attack).

Also, our RNGs full-timed Orichalcum Bullets, iirc.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-30 16:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

*Superior base critical hit rate
*Superior overall critical hit rate due to a far more natural WSC modifier

Indirect advantage of being on a job capable of keeping on more multiattack gear during weaponskill, but that serves only to help mitigate the difference in critical hit damage, which in some cases is mitigated further by CDC gear.

Working on full comparison now

@Byrth, I counted all gear but forgot to add in Verethragna's bonus. I also gave BLU a natural disadvantage due to inability to properly forecast an exact STR bonus from spells for every situation. BLU's only a few points of STR behind, not enough to make a massive difference in fSTR, the swords still capping 1 point higher which also doesn't matter but whatever.

As for the VS vs CDC comparison, I don't have to tell you what DEX does.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-30 16:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you trying to suggest that BLU CDC averages higher than MNK smite?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-11-30 16:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

X is how many hits you do over Y period of time. I tend to just use 100 cuz it's pretty. .95 is hit rate, 15 is base crit, 50 is hits to cap impetus ( don't change,) 65 is base crit+hits to cap.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8