Is A Mythic Even Feasible Anymore For A Newbie?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is a Mythic even feasible anymore for a newbie?
Is a Mythic even feasible anymore for a newbie?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Odin.Registry
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: R3G1STRY
By Odin.Registry 2012-11-30 17:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I'd love it if my server was only filled with competent players, but it just isn't. Instead we have 10 Daurds registered on FFXIAH. My social has 2 of them, but the best part of SE's shout-alliance content is that your friends can ditch the event once they've capped out without guilt. I can't bug them to come along so that my Ragnarok (which I still probably wouldn't use) could be slightly more competitive with my Ukon.

Ragnarok has 27 Daurds
Leviathan has 21 Daurds

I'm pretty sure that's just how every server is...

Most pickup VW shouts (watcher included) just suck. Wish I had a few more mules I could throw around for buffs and things so when I do actually happen to take pickup shouts I don't end up with Min/March and Tact/Miser's.

One of the 99 Harp/Horn BRDs here only puts up 3 songs 98% of the time.
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-30 17:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Registry said: »
I'd love it if my server was only filled with competent players, but it just isn't. Instead we have 10 Daurds registered on FFXIAH. My social has 2 of them, but the best part of SE's shout-alliance content is that your friends can ditch the event once they've capped out without guilt. I can't bug them to come along so that my Ragnarok (which I still probably wouldn't use) could be slightly more competitive with my Ukon.

Ragnarok has 27 Daurds
Leviathan has 21 Daurds

I'm pretty sure that's just how every server is...

Most pickup VW shouts (watcher included) just suck. Wish I had a few more mules I could throw around for buffs and things so when I do actually happen to take pickup shouts I don't end up with Min/March and Tact/Miser's.

One of the 99 Harp/Horn BRDs here only puts up 3 songs 98% of the time.

Is his name playerone? LOL I remember having that harp brd for some VW, and it was bad lol
 Odin.Registry
By Odin.Registry 2012-11-30 17:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

No it wasn't him lol.

Ninjasomethingsomething.

They also fulltimed a buncha crap and manually swapped the harp/horn so it took 6 years to put songs up.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-30 17:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

oh wait, yeah my bad.. playerone was the guy that sang EVERY song in harp, and never gear swapped. So every song was harp and fairly ineffective. I assume he was dual-boxed but *** >_< lol

So it just goes to show, the level of randoms across servers. Some people with decent gear are just terribad.
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-11-30 17:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Avitori said: »
You should still be rotating BRDs... If I saw a 2 song Provenance I would leave.

It's not uncommon on our server for the starting chambers. People use Embrava + Haste for the Caturae (lock Tabula) and then sing minuet + madrigal. Sometimes they don't try to swap bards. Sometimes they do try to swap bards and the party leader/bards are so terrible at it that we either don't get a second set of songs before the caturae are agroed or we don't get them Troub'd.

Two provenance groups ago, my alliance did try to swap bards but one of the bards was so terrible that he apparently didn't have Nightingale merits and couldn't wrap his brain around the idea of bard swapping at all, which held it up/wasted buffs/meant we didn't get troub songs. Then, the Scholar that was supposed to be locking TR was so bad at it that we didn't have Embrava for part of the first chamber (no Perpetuance) or the third chamber (because TR ran out). We ended up getting Marches (in the party with the non-HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE bard) about half the time and no songs (in the party with the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE bard).

We won, but it was ugly.

I couldn't help but laugh at your misfortune Byrth, and I'm sorry. But I do sympathize. lol

When I do Provenance runs, I set them up personally and refuse to even bother without:
SCH(Whom I know is not HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE)
DDs(Whom I know are not HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE)

The rest can generally be counted on to be solid in a pickup group. Usually warn pickup players beforehand as well, if you're not paying attention I will replace you mid run. Not trying to be a ***, just don't want to waste mine, and others time.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-11-30 17:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wanna say that before starting to do VW I wasn't aware that people could suck so bad at a job like bard. How do you fail at bard?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ejin
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2012-11-30 17:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Re:Ejiin

I really wasn't sure where to put Conqueror given the recent tests. I still have no feel for how competitive Upheaval is. But yeah, I was just trying to give a general guide.

Having made Conq mainly as a trophy piece, I've been highly pleased with its performance so far at ADL and PW. Martel and myself have been having parse wars at ADL and so far they both seem pretty evenly matched. Of course, after the embrava nerf this might spell doom for Conq since AM3 is considerably harder to build on WAR.

Out of curiosity, what buff situation would lower Koga?

Anything as highly buffed as Legion or ADL.
 Odin.Registry
By Odin.Registry 2012-11-30 17:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Just wanna say that before starting to do VW I wasn't aware that people could suck so bad at a job like bard. How do you fail at bard?

So much this. When people can 6-box better than you can play a single BRD that puts up 2 songs then can afk, you're doing something wrong.
By Avitori 2012-11-30 17:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Servers are small enough to remember who sucks and who doesn't. Why would you re-invite anyone who can't even swap parties/cure/haste/gearswap? Tell them to gtfo and find someone who can, then remember their name.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-11-30 17:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

because ffxi is dying and shout provenance takes 2 hours to fill as is
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-30 17:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Making groups is so much work. I'm one of the people that watches it once in a while and then swoops in when they're 16/18. If I'm afk and miss it, oh well.

Also, the weirdest thing I find about voidwatch groups is that the worst players are almost never the same people even when I'm not making the group. I think it's because the Reward/Effort ratio is so low, but bad players just never repeat the events.

On the downside, this means there are even more terrible bards.
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-11-30 17:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

lol that reminds me of a time I joined this pickup Ig-Alima group...

The procs were just bad... The WHMs were beyond slow. And all the while I'm like... Why am I attacking so slow? I look at my buffs and I have double minne. It took us forever to kill this Ig-Alima between no procs and bad buffs.

Me: Can we get double march for the next one please?

Bard: Until you DDs stop dying you get double Minne.

Me: ...
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2012-11-30 18:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amazing how terrible people are at BRD. It just boggles my mind. But it makes you really appreciate the good ones.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-30 18:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Avitori said: »
You should still be rotating BRDs... If I saw a 2 song Provenance I would leave.

I rotate BRDs for watcher zerg, but KI BCs I don't really see a need for it.....with embrava mule DDs already getting 2~4 attack songs. Rotate BRD takes time(every BC you should enter next right away with no down time), and any extra attack song you sing after 3~4 doesn't doesn't add much. Even without rotation, most of the time pt can finish each KI BC in 2~3 min anyways.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-30 18:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD wouldn't buff me because "We can still kill it without buffing you, you'll be fine without buff, and I'm too lazy to do it"(yes he straight told me this)

Relic/empy 99 BRD btw.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-30 19:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The majority of our White Mages never learned Haste, either. What really annoys me, though, is when I notice that they only learned the self-target version of Haste.

I mean, keeping a three person Haste order... Is it really that hard?
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-11-30 19:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember that BRD in our group when we first met. Was at Kalasutrax and we kept asking him to sing songs but he wasn't moving at all. After a few mins of him not singing, he said, "what? nobody told me which songs to sing yet."
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2012-11-30 19:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The majority of our White Mages never learned Haste, either. What really annoys me, though, is when I notice that they only learned the self-target version of Haste.

Seeing as how a lot of WHM's bot... yes. lol.

You'd be surprised when some ask me why I'm casting Barspells on Qilin or other NMs. -.-
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-30 19:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Huh?
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2012-11-30 19:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »

Huh?
He means he sees them cast it on themselves.. but no one else.

HASTE ALL THE SELVES!
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-30 19:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh ok. I was like "wtf is he talkin about....?" lol My bad.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 16:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay finally ended up finishing the simulation. Below are the player and monster stats as well as a variety of other statistics used.

Each job was given as close to the best gear possible as I could round up, including augmented hexed gear and swaps for JAs. Both jobs are using red curry buns and maximum buffs at maximum uptimes. BLU DEF downs and whatnot are not being added in.

Each job has equal buffs, both assuming perfect play from the BRD and COR for constant max level Minuets and 11 Chaos Rolls.

Using these numbers, MNK's lead without Impetus is 0.97% on the hardest target here. BLU's Weaponskill Frequency is superior by 14.5% and BLU's weaponskill damage is superior by 4.7%.

During Impetus, MNK's lead increases to 7.8%. Lower multihit rate during Impetus means BLU's Weaponskill Frequency lead jumps to 20%, however the benefits of Impetus close the weaponskill damage gap and put it in MNK's favor by 5.7%.

The difference between the two goes down further on easier targets. Can't supply the actual math since it's a complex simulation, however I can perhaps provide the simulation on request via PM. You'll need some knowledge in C++ in order to use it.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 17:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Double post but I didn't really explain why it's like that I guess.

It was crit rate during WS and WS rate that made for slightly higher WS damage and significantly higher WS rate for BLU, the lesser crit rate advantage during Impetus TP put MNK far ahead for DPS. Impetus isn't the god buff that everyone holds it in such high regard for, it's surmountable via natural gear and stat advantages between other classes and the fact that you're sacrificing some things just to get the best out of it.

I can't speak for other 1h jobs, nor do I care honestly, but in the case of BLU, I see no reason why a good one should be any less welcome in an alliance than a MNK is between raw damage and the addition of spells such as Bilgestorm. Unless you're pchan. Then you'll just have 18 MNK mules anyway.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-01 17:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Could you run the simulation again with +35 DEX to each job for Boost-DEX and double marches?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 17:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure in a little bit, predisposed at the moment to provide whatever. Just let me finish up this dungeon

Pre-simulation prediction: Should boost MNK a little, but at the same time it'll greatly increase BLU's TP phase dDEX and add a bunch of WSC to CDC.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 18:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

dDEX values with the +35:

BLU TP dDEX:
15%
15%
15%

BLU WS dDEX:
15%
15%
15%

MNK TP dDEX:
3%
4%
13%

MNK WS dDEX:
15%(8%)
15%(13%)
15%(15%)

Plus 18 WSC for BLU and the accuracy benefits for both jobs. Small dDEX buffer for mobs with higher AGI for MNK with a pretty substantially massive buffer for BLU in both TP phase and WS phase. Relatively sure that there's no monster in the game with over 181 AGI to uncap BLU's WS dDEX lawl.

Anyways, the results.

With Impetus up, MNK's lead is diminished to 6.95%. BLU gains a pretty significant boost from the extra weaponskill damage and 10% crit rate during TP phase, compensating for MNK's bonus crit rate. BLU's overall weaponskill average has increased by about 9.85% while MNK's has increased by 11.3%.

With Impetus down, BLU takes the lead by 2.2%. MNK's minor gains in TP phase crit rate and admittedly major gains in WS crit rate do not come close to compensating for BLU's massive 10% spike in TP crit rate and boost to weaponskill damage.

Both of these gaps will go more and more in BLU's favor as monster AGI increases. It will take a massive AGI score to uncap BLU's dDEX under these conditions, but MNK will quickly lose %s.
 Bismarck.Azagthothe
Server: Bismarck
user: Azagthoth
By Bismarck.Azagthothe 2012-12-01 18:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless I'm missing something shouldn't monk's delay be lower? With the haste buffs listed above "Haste: 25% gear, 43.75% magic, 0% JA" Monk would be at the delay reduction cap once you factor in Martial Arts.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 19:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

That delay value is before haste, used primarily for TP/hit calculation, and haste is listed as a separate variable for the simulation to calculate alone, it allows for easier stat changing. The delay variable includes only base delay, dual wield, and martial arts. BLU's pre-haste is, in fact, slightly lower than MNK's, and both jobs will reach the cap at around the same time.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-01 19:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the delay used for calculating TP, not the delay for Weapon rounds I think.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-01 19:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I would still make a case for penance, more DT in TP without sacrificing haste, higher native hp in favor of MNK on most content. MNK gets much more defensive ability for much less sacrifice in damage.

BLU is at its best when it can make use of some of it's utility moves like delta thrust, stun spread, nukes for phase based monsters, procs, etc. It's comparable to MNK as a DD, but you can't really say it's equal. For that matter, on anything where dying is a decent possibility, taru will have much less average DPS than the spreadsheet displays.

If nothing defensive is relevant, neither is the correct choice.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8