Is A Mythic Even Feasible Anymore For A Newbie?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is a Mythic even feasible anymore for a newbie?
Is a Mythic even feasible anymore for a newbie?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By JusticeHighwind 2012-07-06 15:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently started this game and aim to be (and focus on) Dragoon. I actually just finally unlocked it after doing the Rank missions since I needed them just to gain access to the Chateau in Sandy. I'm a 50WAR/25MNK at the moment and will be doing the Signal Pearl quest to have a buddy to exp with on Dragoon as I take it all the way now.

Anyway, I've been reading a ton about Dragoon and stuff and it looks like the Mythic Polearm is the best (over the Relic and the Empryean). The Gungnir WS uses an AGI modifier and the Rongo uses a VIT one, whereas the Mythic uses STR, plus the actual weapon's bonus features look awesome. However, it also appears hard as balls in the winter to even get at 75. Hell, the steps from 75 and up with the Mythic seem easy by comparison. If I'm understanding this info correctly, I'd need to do the following:

1) Just to start the Mythic path, I need to have Captain status in Assault. Looking into that, it means I'll need to have finished all of the Aht Urhgan missions, as well as having done all 50 different kinds of Assault missions. Just to start the Mythic path.

2a) Next, I have to take down the three Beastmen kings of the Aht Urghan areas. I assume this will require an alliance.

2b) I also have to beat the four bosses of Salvage areas. I'm not 100% filled in on Salvage or how it works yet; how many I need, do I need tiers (or is it floors?) to get to the bosses. I did see I need to spend points I've earned along the way from doing the Assaults; hopefully enough to clear these.

2c) Lastly, I need to defeat Odin via Einherjar. This looks like a minimum of three fights to gain access, but really possibly nine. Alrighty...

3a) So Step 1 and 2 had looked daunting enough, but then 3 is just crazy, if I understand right. I need 100,000 Therion Ichor from Einherjar. The Talk page of the Wiki for Ichor says someone got 800 from wins. If that's correct, that's 125 fights just for this one step.

3b) Next I need 150,000 tokens from Nyzul Isle, which is different than Assault and Salvage, right? So this will be a separate thing to work on as well, and I'm not sure what the token rate is on it either...

3c) I'm trying to make sense of the Assault Memories, but it looks like I'd need to do all 50 again? Is that right? In order to get the ("<---------->") recorded. Gosh.

3d) Finally, I need 30,000 Alexandrite, which comes from Salvage, so maybe I'd have earned some along the way from Step 2b. But the FFXI Wiki says, at best, I can get pouches containing up to 99 from various NMs there. Again, at best, that's 303 of those 99 pouches, and that's highly unlikely. I know I can also buy these from people, per FFXI AH, but they go for 25,000 gil each on my server, for a total of 750,000,000 gil.

4) Lastly, it looks like I need three items from ZNMs, which in itself looks like a tiered system requiring alliances to get through. I'm not sure on the difficulty of that but, given that it's the final step before a fight, with each of these steps increasing in zaniness, I'd imagine it's tough.

Now, before anyone counters with a "it should be hard to get and you shouldn't just expect to get a Mythic weapon handed to you," I'm not saying that or going there. I'm simply wondering how someone that just started can even get into all of these. I don't have a powerful Linkshell or anything (hell, I made one that's just me and another guy so I could get on the Guildwork/FFXIAH sites) and, even if I joined one, I'd be at the extreme bottom of any totem pole. Plus the LS would be doing "current" stuff, whereas this content is sort of out of date, just to get that Level 75 version. Do people even do any of these things anymore, or are they all doing Abyssea/Voidwatch/whatever instead? And how would I even fund all of this? I know I'm new and all, but I've got about 75K to my name; I'm not sure how I multiply that by 10,000 to get the Alexandrite.

Anyway, I'm curious if this is even a feasible goal for a newbie. If so, how would one even get started? My current goal is to get Dragoon up to 99, though I would prefer not to use leeching since my Polearm skills would be awful. My Warrior's weapon skills suffered from an alliance I joined in Gusgen Mines to get it up. I thought it acceptable since it wasn't going to be my main, but I don't want my Dragoon's skills to suffer like that. Anyway, once I hit 99, then I'd like to be able to get the good stuff available for it, tackle missions and stuff, and so on. I thought a Mythic weapon would be part of that but I'm not sure if I should even bother now -- not (just) because of the difficulty of the task itself, but the potential in finding others that are basically going to be doing all this older stuff just to help out.

So yeah this is long and all, but I guess I'm looking to find out if it's even worthwhile for me to plan for this. If so, any tips? And if not, what would be an alternative?

Thanks.
[+]
 Fenrir.Grimsie
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Grimjow
By Fenrir.Grimsie 2012-07-06 15:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This is something that even most veteran players ask themselves.

However SE promises updates to the Aht Urhgan content, hopefully this will make mythics easier to obtain.

"Moving right along, let's take a look at mythic weapons, which—compared with relics—remain extremely rare.
We're quite curious to see what next year's data will look like after the Aht Urhgan revisions that are currently being implemented have had time to play out.
Sadly, some weapons have seen a decline, most likely due to their owners' accounts no longer being active at the time of data collection. "
By Drjones 2012-07-06 15:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Short answer: No.
 Lakshmi.Galith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2012-07-06 15:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said: »
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Valauge
Server: Ragnarok
user: Valauge
By Ragnarok.Valauge 2012-07-06 15:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a reason Ryunohige is the ultimate weapon for DRG. No, this is not a feasible task for a newbie. It's still not for a lot of oldies too. You should be focusing on being a competent and well-geared DRG before you even consider working on such a weapon.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Sebian
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Sebian
By Gilgamesh.Sebian 2012-07-06 15:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Good Luck.
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2012-07-06 15:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Come on Gobbiebag!
[+]
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2012-07-06 16:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it's getting easier and easier to make a Mythic, back in the days it was harder than anything. Being level 75cap doing assaults.

At 99 you can breeze through 90% assaults
Odin V2 gives 3600incor or w/e
ZNM are pretty much solo~trioable
Alex drop from salvage and now Neo-Nyzul (Neo-Salvage yet to come out)
the 3 kings are a joke at 99(compared to 75)

It's getting easier, but doesn't mean a walk in the park.
It's for the 100% dedicated die hard fans for that 1 job the mythic is used for.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2012-07-06 16:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a newbie but I've asked myself the same question. I have a bunch of jobs to 99, and some of them decently geared, but I want a true end-game weapon. This means relic, empy, or mythic. However, my favorite jobs are pup, smn, and bst. That means mythic is the only desirable option, the rest are worthless to me.

My position is very different from yours though- I've played from launch, casually, and with some long breaks, so I basically skipped ToAU. I would need to do most of what you outline there, but I have (and can make) gil, and I have in-game friends.

I think that you'd have to make a static for it, of people who are 100% committed to making a mythic themselves, and maybe mules for each of you to farm alexandrite. It is relatively easy to level and gear a mule these days. The difficult part is finding enough other people (at least six) to clear the content, and of course the alexandrite. It's a long-term commitment, and I'd be very wary about starting it with people that I didn't know well.

You would do better off going after Gungnir. You can make one in a few months of farming. Especially if you're new to FFXI, you probably don't understand the amount of work that goes into a mythic.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-07-06 16:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

1) 50 assaults. 1 tag per day, and they stack up to 4, one being held on your person; 5 if you're Captain. They're not difficult to do at 75, let alone 99. Find two buddies and start chipping away once you get to 99.

2a) This is not difficult. Finding them up is a pain, but they're not difficult to take down. Can do it with less than 6, and without links, probably solo'able by certain jobs.

2b) Salvage will be easy to beat. You'll need to farm alex from here regardless, and that will finish this requirement on it's own a thousand fold.

2c) Odin is a push-over.

3a) Yes, 100,000 Therion Ichor. You get 3000 Ichor from Odin, give or take. I believe you get around 2000 for a tier 3 clear, but it's been awhile for me.

3b) Nyzul tokens will not be fun. I only have 20k after spending a LOT of time in Nyzul, but then again I spent a lot farming Askar/Denali back in the day. Neo-Nyzul is not good for gaining coins either, as you spend about 1000 coins per run minimum, but Neo-Nyzul IS good for Alex if you can win. It's an easy Linen Purse. Nyzul also uses Assault tags, the things you need to do the 50 assaults.

3c) You have to clear all 50 assaults again after you reach Captain, yes. This won't be hard, just time consuming. Balancing between Nyzul and this will be the hardest part, but the assaults do pay for Salvage access. 1500 assault points to enter Salvage.

3d) Alex is the most ridiculous part of a Mythic. 750,000,000g is easily 4 relic weapons, and a pain in the *** to farm effectively. The coming updates may make Alex more abundant, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Best case, it becomes like Neo-Dynamis. Worst case, it's like Neo-Nyzul.

4) ZNMs aren't hard. Could potentially duo all of it.

An Empyrean is difficult and time consuming for a group of people, but short lived in over-all effort. A Relic is time consuming for one person, and takes longer... but you don't need help to do it. A Mythic is time consuming for a group, takes much longer than a relic, and requires assistance on most things.

I applaud you for your ambition, but you're too low to truly consider this. FF right now is at a place where if you don't have the proper drive to fuel that ambition, you will kill your drive to play the game. Get to 99, establish your character, understand the individual events, and then evaluate your options. You will spend months on this endeavor, and you'll need plenty of support to accomplish it.

If you do get to that threshold and you decide to dive in, maybe shout or look for like minded people and co-operate on the things OTHER than Alexandrite. Einherjar, Nyzul, Boss wins, etc.

Cheers, and good luck in what you decide to do.
[+]
By hyunkyl 2012-07-06 16:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Can always shoot for OaT polearm and Stardiver to hold you over until Herja's Fork(from Odin 2.0), Assaults and Salvage ain't that hard now, so only cockblocks are 30k alex($$$), and grabbing the 100k Ichteor and 150k tokens from Nyzul... then again, by spamming Neo-Nyzul, you might get there in the long run. By the way, you can buy the 3 pop items for Odin 1.0, he's killable by a few BST and support(killed him again with 3x BST,PLD,RDM,THF last week)and ZNM can be done low-man with a few BST too! But yeah, it's really a long term goal not many will achieve..
[+]
By JusticeHighwind 2012-07-06 16:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies, guys. I actually kind of wrote my post freely from my head and was surprised at its length. Some of it was just sorting out for myself the amount of work needed! I worried I'd get flamed for it being so long but it's good to see some valid replies. I do agree, I'll work on making my DRG competent and look for an alternative. But it did look like a kickass Polearm. Oh well, maybe with those changes you guys mentioned. Or the Gobbiebag! Fingers crossed.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-07-06 16:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont think mythics were ever really feasible for a newbie o.O
[+]
 Fenrir.Camaroz
Server: Fenrir
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2012-07-06 16:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I certainly applaud your effort and initiative in such a task. If you stay focused you can achieve this (not going to happen overnight or a year). While this should be more of a long term goal, don't ever lose sight of it if you really want it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-07-06 16:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Refreshtwo said: »
Is it only 500 now?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-07-06 16:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

How does Ryunohige fair against Gungnir with Embrava up? I've read mythics lose alot of ground over Relics when players are utilizing this.
By volkom 2012-07-06 16:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Before I started my break from ffxi, I always wanted to do liberator or death penalty. But I was always disappointed that there wasn't a mythic great sword :| se should add a mythic bow, greatsword, chakram.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-07-06 16:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

That doesn't answer my question, you're telling me what I already know. On high-end mobs is Drakes even used other than to maintain AM?
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-07-06 17:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
How does Ryunohige fair against Gungnir with Embrava up? I've read mythics lose alot of ground over Relics when players are utilizing this.
Why would they lose ground? I feel like their white damage would make a huge impact, and the overflow would increase their relative WS dmg by a good chunk. Even if they don't use Drakesbane past the first WS for AM3, Stardiver with OaT2-3 would be a huge increase over Gungnir.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-07-06 17:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

As a drg that made one, I would simply suggest not to worry about it now. Play the game, get to know it. A year from now you may not even still like drg and have an affair with another job. I would never recommend a new player immediately start on a project of this magnitude. You may not even like ffxi enough to play long enough to get one. Level drg, start gearing it up and get your feet wet for a good while before you commit to a digital item that will take you probably over a year to make AFTER your char is all buffed up. Its a nice goal, but be really sure you are ready to commit before you do. Make friends, figure out some Gil making method you can stand to SPAM for over a year and not go crazy. Its a battle of attrition for a mythic vs your sanity, not a sprint. Be 150% sure you know what your getting into and are ready for it else you will find you wasted a lot of time for a half finished weapon. But feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions about the weapon, the process, or drg in general :)

Edit. Drakes with the 30% boost from mythic rapes stardiver. Its not even close. Mythic drakes is your bread and butter ws. Star is just for the crit debuff at this point.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-07-06 17:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a lot of the quest requirements met just from playing for years when I decided to make my Ryu. If I'd had to Tackle everything at once... I'm not sure I'd have tried.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2012-07-06 17:46:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Was a mythic weapon ever feasible for a newbie?
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-07-06 17:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say by the time you got one, you wouldn't be much of a newbie anymore. <,<
[+]
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2012-07-06 18:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

There's nothing unfeasible about it. Everything about it is easy, just a little time consuming.

The Alexandrite used to be the biggest drain, but you can find the gil you'd need for it in just a few months with dynamis and limbus.

The longest part will be actually finding the Alexandrite, not the gil for the Alexandrite. Also, finding 2 other bodies for assault/salvage/etc. can be a pain in the ***.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8