Is A Mythic Even Feasible Anymore For A Newbie?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is a Mythic even feasible anymore for a newbie?
Is a Mythic even feasible anymore for a newbie?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-12-01 20:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Yeah, again, not a pissing contest, merely stating that they're both on the same ground and one should not be held above the other. I'd bring a DRK or WAR over either any day.

Always thought of a well geared blu to be on par with mnk.

That is to say, sub-par to top DDs. At least blu has utility going for it.

Q_Q
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 20:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I can set all of my traits and an efficient amount of proc spells at the same time, and a lot of my utility spells aren't tied to my set points. Aside from that, you're still ignoring the fact that no situations, or at least so few that they aren't worth considering, exist where your MNK's 500HP is going to cause my BLU to fall behind so astronomically that they are no longer equal. Unless I'm asleep at the wheel, which I understand could be a problem for MNK, I don't need an 8s reaction time to judge whether or not I have to hit my potion or fruit macro.

If you've already acknowledged what I've been saying, then why are you still arguing against it? lol
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-01 20:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

No, you have to make an instant decision between trusting your mage and lowering your DPS. Sure hope you aren't stunned, terrored, paralyzed, or otherwise incapacitated.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 20:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not going to submit a variable that relies on having poor WHMs, as that isn't the fault of myself or anyone other than the healers. Especially since the provided situation will almost never occur.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-01 20:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

How about WHMs that are already casting another spell they should be? I don't see how you can trivialize 4 more seconds of reaction time, that's very large for WHM.

Quote:
If you've already acknowledged what I've been saying, then why are you still arguing against it? lol
I'm saying the difference is much bigger than you're trying to convey when using both jobs as pure DD. Not in DPS, but in overall utility. BLU trying to compete with MNK in damage takes away what makes BLU BLU and still falls notably short due to the drastic difference in survivability.. even if the difference in damage is relatively small. BLU accepting a 20-30% difference in damage and keeping up with their procs/using beneficial debuffs/stuns is much more useful than a BLU 9% behind MNK pretending they're identical.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 20:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

4 more seconds of reaction time that I'll never use since I've already acted on it myself. I'm doing more DPS by using my potion than I am by getting hit with a stray nuke or melee hit and dying, that I can assure you. Following the minimal loss of DPS by waiting for my potion to launch, I'll use what I can to regain the lost ground, which considering the fact that MNK will be similarly incapacitated nearly as often as BLU will, isn't difficult.

MNK doesn't have any utility to compete with, so I don't know why you're trying to say MNK is superior in that regard in any capacity whatsoever. Damage taken, subsequently death from sustaining too much, has a negative impact on DPS, it is not utility to have higher HP.

If the MNK isn't using up time proccing, what are they there for? How do debuffs not massively compensate for it (hint: more exist than just def down in the event that you're attack capped)? What is the 20-30% from? How does 6.9 = 9?

Overall value of BLU vs Overall value of MNK is equal. BLU's flexibility is a major asset in that I can either go full on DD to match the MNK, or I can be of more benefit to myself and my group by providing all of the utility that my job possesses while still retaining a high amount of damage output in relation to the pure DD mode. That's it. That's the argument. Neither is better than the other, and neither is worth ***on things that don't die to wind blowing on them too strongly.
 Asura.Mythh
Server: Asura
user: Ganjuh
By Asura.Mythh 2012-12-01 20:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Who gives a ***.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-01 21:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK doesn't have any utility to compete with, so I don't know why you're trying to say MNK is superior in that regard in any capacity whatsoever. Damage taken, subsequently death from sustaining too much, has a negative impact on DPS, it is not utility to have higher HP.
Lowering risk of death without sacrificing anything else is a form of utility. Anything that benefits you in any way classifies as utility.

Quote:
If the MNK isn't using up time proccing, what are they there for?
damage

Quote:
How do debuffs not massively compensate for it? What is the 20-30% from? How does 6.9 = 9?
Debuffs can and do compensate for it. If you're constantly proccing and using all your helpful debuffs, I'd estimate that your parser damage is 20-30% behind the MNK. You're more useful, but not more damaging.

If you keep insisting 'its only 6.9%', you'll spread the mindset that BLU doing pure DD is an acceptable use of a party slot. While it's certainly the optimal choice to stay alive, proc, and do the many other things BLU is capable of.. it will drastically increase the damage gap between the jobs in actual play.

An ideal voidwatch group uses 3 DD that only bother with damage or extreme proc, BRD COR WHM, 3 DD that focus on procs, BRD COR WHM, 2-3 BLM and some other ranged proccers. As shout results vary, the latter group is more likely to lose their BRD and/or COR to a DD slot. BLU's proc abilities/non damage utility are much more valuable to a group than their damage capability, so it's a waste to focus purely on DD and pretend you're comparable to a job with 6.9% more damage and 30% more HP.

I guess, in short, nobody wants a BLU that does 6.9% damage less than a MNK. They want a BLU that brings all the wonderful things that BLU has to the table, and that BLU will be much more behind a MNK in actual damage.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 21:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither MNK or BLU are an acceptable use of a party slot if their only focus is DD. That's the point. :| From the very first post I've stated the importance of BLU's utility in fielding it as a comparable job to MNK, you came in and said it lowers DPS for whatever irrelevant reason however, and I fielded counters as to how that can be partially mitigated. Comparing MNk and BLU's overall potential DPS is a piece of evidence toward showing the actuality of how close together the two jobs actually are.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-01 21:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither MNK or BLU are an acceptable use of a party slot if their only focus is DD. That's the point. :|
Have done alima, provenance, rex, bismarck in less than 5 min/kill using exclusively MNK dd, no phasers, and less than 14 people. Would never use all BLU because of the high frequency at which MNKs manage to reach red hp. Real world example.

If I had your BLU as an option for said party, I'd absolutely drop a single MNK for it. I'd be pretty disappointed if all you did was DD at a rate 6.9% below the MNK though, plus you'd probably be dead. I've never said the jobs aren't comparable, I said that the damage comparison is just plain inaccurate in real situations.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 21:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be foolish to ignore utility when it's BLU's major method of standing out. Like I said, DPS comparisons were done to rectify the general stigma of "MNK pisses all over BLU's damage". Utilizing utility, however, won't make such an enormous impact as to completely dwarf BLU's damage output compared to MNK, which is the issue i've had with your argument.

The damage output evaluation included every possible measurable variable, JA delay, WS delay, uptimes/downtimes, gear changes, etc., it's as accurate a representation as you can get before adding in uncontrolled variables and player error, neither of which are relevant when comparing a job to another job. The simulation assumes perfect play for 24 hours straight, so it's not got much room to have errors, they'd be easily noticed.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-01 21:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

blu sucks
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 21:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Then MNK sucks too! O:
By Avitori 2012-12-01 21:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd invite a MNK over a BLU anyday.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 21:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Your loss, not mine
By Avitori 2012-12-01 21:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really, considering 99% of BLU's suck.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 21:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

No question, but that's not what I was comparing.

I'd be interested in seeing a staff MNK vs an aurore blu though
By Avitori 2012-12-01 21:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd probably invite Comeatmebro on MNK over your BLU too.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-01 21:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd probably invite both of us, but again, your loss!

With the general level of competency of Valefor PUGs, you'd be hard pressed to find a MNK of greater skill than the average BLU to begin with.

I mean ***, I've outparsed a certain mortal kombat character's WAR dozens of times on BLU, does that mean I shouldn't invite WARs anymore? O:
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-12-01 21:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-02 04:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Only thing I didn't really grasp about the argument...why is higher HP a point in voidwatch? Something's not right there.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8