[dev1117] Job Adjustments: Ranger
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-25 02:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rearden said: »
I never saw the parse, was it the one where he hit a 10k+ barrage too?

Cause that happens every fight.

Relying on MS to beat PW is pretty silly if you're already killing it faster than groups who are using MS and you're doing multiple runs.

In addition to that, for a minute of the fight, Ukko's is going to have a minimum 68% crit rate and edging closer to 100% due to TP bonus atmacites. Sure, MS Upheaval or Reso is going to do more damage, but throwing up MS and autowinning a parse doesn't really show what a job is normally capable of.

I also wonder, did the parse include fetters? Those seem to take really wonky increased DMG.
 Bahamut.Atoreis
Server: Bahamut
user: Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-25 05:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
That's nice, except you could have put a melee in the RNG's slot, getting BRD+COR buffs.

Mind explain?

We compared full buffed RNG to full buffed WAR.
Yes WAR will win but it will also win with many other DDs that arent considered as proc only.

@Rearden What are you saying is pretty much confusing. You are ok with not optimal WAR build because it still allow you to win against PW w/o a problem. Why are you not ok then with RNG as DD when with optimal build he is very close or above many DDs and they are also able to kill PW like that even with him parsing on top or close? I can understand overall it would be better to put Ragnarok WAR with MS there but if you not going for it because you are ok with lower DD output as long as it let you win. Folowing this logic I could at some point say that your WAR should be there only for proc because at some point your OK damage will be lower than optimal build with RNG.
 Ramuh.Kailana
Server: Ramuh
user: Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-04-25 06:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I never understood why in situations where proc'ing a weakness on a mob type (could be anything from a couple spells to one of 10 weaponskills, eating up the time spent fighting the mob procing) people run parses. There's situations where something throws up a resistance buff tp move (dunno, something like what akvan does with magic) that may make a mage require recasting a spell a bunch of times till the damned thing lands, or the WS might end up being the last one in a list of 10 that the sole samurai is trying to hit....lots of things like this can come up. When you're that poor sucker, your parse thingy takes a huge dive compared to the DD who are just unloading damage.

Provenance Watcher may be an entirely different situation, and I sure I'll be told such, which is why I asked the question I guess. xD

tl;dr: why do people parse in situations where you should be doing ***other than just straight up murdering a mob?
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-04-25 06:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I do it only for fun! Since I have this thing it's like I found a new toy for FFXI!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-25 06:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm finding it hilarious that relative power is being derived from time rather than the difference between participants. If the melee DDs were doing their jobs properly there wouldn't be room for the RNG to be accumulating so much of the damage done to begin with, as they'd be doing it in a shorter amount of time before the RNG would be capable of it.

If the case is a matter of "but he's the best DD there so should be in the DD party", then there's no reason to beat the horse that's been so physically molested as that one over and over again. I could make the same case for my BLU being in a DD party; just because it's likely the right thing to do in most situations doesn't mean most, i.e. you yourself, would view it as optimal.

Quote:
tl;dr: why do people parse in situations where you should be doing ***other than just straight up murdering a mob?

Sport mostly. PW functions differently in that your melee won't likely be stopping to proc very often if at all, it's a straight zerg situation.
 Bahamut.Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-25 06:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You dont understand.
You can view this in 2 ways. Try to guess what kind of damage would that WAR do if fight would take 180sec or how much damage would make RNG if the fight would take 129sec. If you would simulate damage of RNG based on 180sec fight with 67k you would end up with pretty much the same as I did with simulated WAR damage in 180sec fight.
Lets say it would be 54k for RNG in 129sec fight. Thats still like 18%for RNG if WAR would be at 20%. Saying that 2% on parse makes one DD proc only is pretty much stupid because I could go there on pimped Ragnarok WAR with MS up and outparse other Ukko WARs by those 2% too. That would make them proc only too?

Parses are made mostly for fun. Its also true that it wont show which DD is better that way because of proc but you can easily compare things like avg WS damage or for example avg damage done when someone dont need to stager across several fight ( for example you can take damage from one parse when DRK only spammed Resolution and compare it to WAR damage from other parse when he only spammed Ukko for example ) obviously it still wont show who is better but let you conclude some facts.

I do parses mostly for myself. It let me improve my strategy/equip/etc.
 Ramuh.Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-04-25 06:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

Quote:

Sport mostly. PW functions differently in that your melee won't likely be stopping to proc very often if at all, it's a straight zerg situation.

If a DD stops to turn its focus on those fetter things that take wonky amounts of damage, does that effect the parse too? :o
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-25 06:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Your favorite phrase is "you don't understand", or some variation on that. It's contrived and annoying, do avoid it in the future.

You're attempting to simulate damage with two completely separate models that are biased toward opposite poles and are based on complete estimation. The RNG did that much damage in that parse in that amount of time due to the fact that the other DDs that he was grouped with were trash. Replace the trash DDs and things would very likely have turned out differently in that they'd have left much less room for the RNG to flourish so unnaturally in the first place.

We've had this sort of conversation previously, and it's turned out the same way before, except last time you had the mother of all hardons in favor of WAR rather than the underdog.
 Bahamut.Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-25 06:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Kailana said: »

Quote:

If a DD stops to turn its focus on those fetter things that take wonky amounts of damage, does that effect the parse too? :o

Parse have option to check damage only on selected mob.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-25 06:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

It depends on the filters in place. Ideally you wouldn't have your main melees coming off of the mob to touch the fetters to begin with, and wouldn't have more than a couple per fight if that.
 Ramuh.Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-04-25 06:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Atoreis said: »

Quote:

Parse have option to check damage only on selected mob.

Good to know, there's been situations where I was procing/attention focused on holding adds and some idiot running a parse was telling me my damage was gimp. I asked them why they were running a parse on Morta anyways, or why they were touting the damage of a guy who only used resolution or the guy who only used upheaval or the guy who only used shoha...and nothing else, when what we needed was a solid proc from one of them. Never really got an answer. Next time I have the option to ask what options their parse is running, on top of why in the name of jesus are they running a parse in abyssea/VW.

When reading someones posted parse, is there an indicator that they targeted one mob or multiple mobs for the parse? I don't really run them, just question those who run them at inappropriate times. xD

Quote:

It depends on the filters in place. Ideally you wouldn't have your main melees coming off of the mob to touch the fetters to begin with, and wouldn't have more than a couple per fight if that.

Definitely, but I do know a Ranger can kill them pretty good and they take stupid amounts of damage. Not implying that's how Ragni shot ahead of his DD's, as it's been observed the DD he was with weren't up to their full potential or were trash, but I have this strange expectation to see more parses in varying quantities in the future when it comes to certain mobs.

Whatever that VW Qutrub is named, I know every time I fight him someones running a parse. I always assume it's just for fun to see who pumps out the silliest numbers on it, but there's always a part of my brain asking "WHY?!" :P
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-25 06:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Total amount of damage done is the only way tbh. It isn't likely that they'd be giving you and pages besides the Offensive one, which would make it impossible to tell by other means.
 Bahamut.Ragni
user: Ragni
By Bahamut.Ragni 2012-04-25 06:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

In that fight 0 fetter poped to be clear
 Bahamut.Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-25 07:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Your favorite phrase is "you don't understand", or some variation on that. It's contrived and annoying, do avoid it in the future.

You're attempting to simulate damage with two completely separate models that are biased toward opposite poles and are based on complete estimation. The RNG did that much damage in that parse in that amount of time due to the fact that the other DDs that he was grouped with were trash. Replace the trash DDs and things would very likely have turned out differently in that they'd have left much less room for the RNG to flourish so unnaturally in the first place.

We've had this sort of conversation previously, and it's turned out the same way before, except last time you had the mother of all hardons in favor of WAR rather than the underdog.

Yeah but if you replace those DDs with buffed WARs it will be exactly what Im talking about from the start. RNG will be at around 54k and WARs at around 60k (Longer fight wont favor RNG at all actually. He will start with Sekkanoki, barrage and EES so he will do most damage in first minute too). You think that difference allow to say that RNG is for proc only? Like I said I could go there as Ragnarok WAR and make 67k. Would that make those other WARs proc only?
 Ramuh.Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-04-25 07:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but if you replace those DDs with buffed WARs it will be exactly what Im talking about from the start. RNG will be at around 54k and WARs at around 60k (Longer fight wont favor RNG at all actually. He will start with Sekkanoki, barrage and EES so he will do most damage in first minute too). You think that difference allow to say that RNG is for proc only? Like I said I could go there as Ragnarok WAR and make 67k. Would that make those other WARs proc only?

I thought it was someone else who said RNG were proc onry, and they didn't even really say that? :o
 Bahamut.Enkidou
user: jamisont
By Bahamut.Enkidou 2012-04-25 07:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought it was someone else who said RNG were proc onry, and they didn't even really say that? :o

I thought what she thought.
 Ramuh.Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-04-25 07:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Your avatar scares me D:
 Bahamut.Enkidou
user: jamisont
By Bahamut.Enkidou 2012-04-25 07:25:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Your avatar scares me D:

Pancake batter.

Promise.
 Bahamut.Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-25 07:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure at page 1st Sylow wrote that RNG is only good for proc and killing fetters.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-25 11:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say only, I said that it IS good for. There's a difference.
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Server: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-04-25 12:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, if we replaced a DD with Ragni and specialized his buffs and he hit a mega barrage to boost his numbers and had the same DPS he would post 48000 or 15%.

This is based on as best as I can tell his DPS was in your parse which was removed.

No one here is claiming RNG is a ***DD, but he also only did as well as he did because those other DD sucked.

If your friends were in that party, or you were in that party, there's a picture of a random thing with sunglasses on it proclaiming "deal wth it" for you to look up and ponder.
 Bahamut.Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-25 14:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rearden said: »
Actually, if we replaced a DD with Ragni and specialized his buffs and he hit a mega barrage to boost his numbers and had the same DPS he would post 48000 or 15%.

This is based on as best as I can tell his DPS was in your parse which was removed.

No one here is claiming RNG is a ***DD, but he also only did as well as he did because those other DD sucked.

If your friends were in that party, or you were in that party, there's a picture of a random thing with sunglasses on it proclaiming "deal wth it" for you to look up and ponder.

I'm no longer in this shell and I dont want to discuss about other DD in this parse because they doesnt matter in this case.
Your 48k is based on wrong assumption. You assumed that he did same damage in every minute when its clearly not the case. The main portion of the damage was done in first minute and then his DPS was going down so its not accurate to simply divide his damage by 180 and then multiply it with 129.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-25 14:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

He wouldn't have done ***in my alliance, because he'd be in the BLM party with the THF.
 Ramuh.Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-04-25 15:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Enkidou said: »
Your avatar scares me D:

Pancake batter.

Promise.

Oh now you're dragging my favorite thing to eat into this :O
 Bahamut.Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-25 17:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
He wouldn't have done ***in my alliance, because he'd be in the BLM party with the THF.

Could say the same about many other DDs including most WARs,MNKs and DRKs
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-25 17:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not talking about most WARs, MNKs, and DRKs. I'm not bringing them.
 Bahamut.Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-25 17:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Now you talking about subjective situation you are familiar with which in this case is even more confusing from your part. Following your logic DDs you bring should be best available. If he parse 1st or 2nd in his shell then he should come as RNG and DD.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-25 17:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You're missing the point entirely.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-27 07:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Camate said:
Greetings!

We understand that after looking at the adjustment for Eagle Eye Shot the impact wasn’t too great and that there are quite a few requests for the development team to take another look. With that said I’d like to explain a little bit about the reasoning around this adjustment.

• Objective of the current adjustment
To improve the usability more than currently and to create a groundwork.

• But why?
As shown in the road map released yesterday, two-hour abilities will be enhanced via merit points. With this in sight, we decided it would not be a good idea to touch certain things right now.

When it becomes possible to enhance two-hour abilities, we felt it more meaningful to make further adjustments if it is not as attractive at that time.

We apologize for making you wait and we appreciate your understanding.

[source]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-04-27 07:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh. Part of me really hates the test server and notices of upcoming changes; I want them now, not in six months. =(
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7