By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-20 10:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

04-20-2012 06:10 AM
[source]
Gildrein
Community Rep

[dev1117] Job Adjustments: Ranger

• Eagle Eye Shot

• Enmity incurred by ranged attacks made with this ability has been lowered to the minimum possible value.

Subscribe
 Odin.Tsuneo
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-04-20 10:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Now they just need to make EES not suck.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-20 10:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't help but notice that it can still miss. At least they increased JA and WS distance!
 Asura.Vrytreya
Server: Asura
user: VZX
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-04-20 10:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully EES will be like old DRG's call wyvern. Demoted to normal short timer JA as the new 2hr coming. If it turn out to be once every 3 minute JA, this will be nice preemptive balancing.
 Bahamut.Atoreis
Server: Bahamut
user: Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-20 11:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vrytreya said: »
Hopefully EES will be like old DRG's call wyvern. Demoted to normal short timer JA as the new 2hr coming. If it turn out to be once every 3 minute JA, this will be nice preemptive balancing.

I dont think you know how good is RNG now.
With right buffs my friend is winning parses at Provenance.
Last Stand is serious buisness. Barrage that have 12% chance of doing like 10-15k damage is also pretty significant.
All that with the ability of doing slightly less damage but practically enmity free with Coronach.

The only real disadvantage is you pretty much NEED Annihilator and money for ammo.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-04-20 11:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The only real disadvantage is you pretty much NEED Annihilator and money for ammo.

This is both what makes it really awesome and really problematic.

If you have Anni and can essentially shoot gil, it can be really badass.

But it gets disproportionately not as good for every step down in spending you make.

However, they can't really add any more significant improvements to the job because the elite are already really good, and if you bring up the masses, the elite get that much more ridiculously good.

That said, if I make a third relic, it will be Anni. Love me some ranged attacks.

On the subject of this particular change, any buff works for me. Eagle Eye Shot has pretty much always been "Here's your free extra Sidewinder every two hours." Kinda silly.
[+]
 Asura.Vrytreya
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-04-20 11:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Atoreis said: »
Asura.Vrytreya said: »

I dont think you know how good is RNG now.

As if winning a parse with just Harrier +2 is hard enough.
 Bahamut.Ragni
user: Ragni
By Bahamut.Ragni 2012-04-20 11:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you dont know what dmg you can do with EES either if you want to have it on 3 mins timer lol
 Bahamut.Atoreis
user: Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-04-20 11:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Im sorry if i hurt your feelings but if you think RNG is that good what preemptive balancing you see in making it stronger?

Looks like you just wanted to use some meme really bad.
 Asura.Vrytreya
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-04-20 12:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you got some mix-up with what I'm saying and what is to be implemented.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2012-04-20 12:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Quote:

This is both what makes it really awesome and really problematic.

If you have Anni and can essentially shoot gil, it can be really badass.

But it gets disproportionately not as good for every step down in spending you make.

However, they can't really add any more significant improvements to the job because the elite are already really good, and if you bring up the masses, the elite get that much more ridiculously good.

That said, if I make a third relic, it will be Anni. Love me some ranged attacks.

On the subject of this particular change, any buff works for me. Eagle Eye Shot has pretty much always been "Here's your free extra Sidewinder every two hours." Kinda silly.

While this point is not really the focus of the OP, and thus the thread, I do have to make note of this, as it was a comment I made back in the CoP days just among friends and one I always think about.

Place it in the time of the comment though, and realize half of the comment doesn't have much relevance any more.

NINs tank with gil, RNGs DD with gil.

just the way it is, just the way it always has been. If you don't like it, don't play the job. I'm surprised people *** about that fact in a RNG forum.

As for decreasing enmity for EES- I'm with everyone else...whoop de friggin do. Make it not miss. Honestly, I'll deal with everything else that blows about it, just make it not miss. Nothing like an already craptastic 2hr that then misses.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-04-23 08:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I was not complaining. I play ranger, fire high-end ammunition with my weapons.

My point was, the elite rangers can do a ton of damage, but it goes down exponentially the less you spend, and that was why ranger is a bit of a problem.

Other jobs you don't lose out on nearly as much damage just by change something consumable.

It's not a problem for me. But it is a reason that SE cannot further buff ranger, otherwise the people spending all the gil to play the job will be massively overpowered just to make the "average" player really good.

Which is what I was getting at as pertains to the thread and the bigger picture of people wanting SE to add additional buffs to ranger.
 Fenrir.Greever
Server: Fenrir
user: Greever
By Fenrir.Greever 2012-04-23 10:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I was not complaining. I play ranger, fire high-end ammunition with my weapons.

My point was, the elite rangers can do a ton of damage, but it goes down exponentially the less you spend, and that was why ranger is a bit of a problem.

Other jobs you don't lose out on nearly as much damage just by change something consumable.

It's not a problem for me. But it is a reason that SE cannot further buff ranger, otherwise the people spending all the gil to play the job will be massively overpowered just to make the "average" player really good.

Which is what I was getting at as pertains to the thread and the bigger picture of people wanting SE to add additional buffs to ranger.

This is so true. If ur not willing to piss away gil behind ur bullets/arrows/bolts, ur dmg will never match up to even the most average of melee. But on the other hand, if ppl are willing to pay to be massively over powered then it shouldn't be a problem imo. That's how rng should be since our dmg is proprotional to how much we spend on ammo.

Atm i use a quiver of ruszor arrows(i have such and overstock of these arrows since i crafted my own @.@) per VW fight, thats 20k a fight(before counting food) just to make my spot in the allience relevent vs. that of other melee DD's who spend 0 gil for the same fight (before counting food).

just like Vrytreya suggested rng should get a JA much like quick draw, an instant attack which deals dmg and gives tp return on a short timer, which can stack with double shot :o . something for inbetween barrages and to speed up TP phase.
 Odin.Ladyrikku
user: LadyRikku
By Odin.Ladyrikku 2012-04-23 12:14:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Rngs are already getting a good buff with the increase in WS distance SE is goign to give us.

They just need to fking take away the "Sweet spot" since every damn sweetspot puts u inside every damn NMs AOE and Rngs are supposed to be long ranged damage while staying outside AOE.

I spam adaman bullets/redcurry and I love my ranger dmg.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-23 12:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
They just need to fking take away the "Sweet spot" since every damn sweetspot puts u inside every damn NMs AOE and Rngs are supposed to be long ranged damage while staying outside AOE.

This is called a trade-off. WHMs have to give up some potency on Cure IV to cap enmity reduction, RNGs have to give up some of their damage potential for safety.
 Fenrir.Greever
Server: Fenrir
user: Greever
By Fenrir.Greever 2012-04-23 12:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
Quote:

This is called a Barance. WHMs have to give up some potency on Cure IV to cap enmity reduction, RNGs have to give up some of their damage potential for safety.

fixed
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2012-04-23 14:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My point was, the elite rangers can do a ton of damage, but it goes down exponentially the less you spend, and that was why ranger is a bit of a problem. (It)a reason that SE cannot further buff ranger.

parsed down your post

I like your point about how SE can't really do too much to buff the job because it will overpower those who spend the gil on good ammunition versus making those who don't relevant.

The question then becomes- this is going to sound elitist, and it honestly is- if you can't spend the gil you probably shouldn't play the job. Or at least complain about your numbers. I don't have half the gear I need yet, and if you check my profile on days it catches me on RNG you'll see me half the time using skillup ammunition and ranged weapons. Right now I'm doing more prep work to make the job viable to bring to events as my mage jobs are up to snuff and I don't want to embarrass myself with a halfass RNG- I'll bring it when its ready.

Until then, you'll see my RNG heading out to skillup or get gear, not heading to events. Don't worry if you /check me, I'm not fodder for the gimp/wtf/confused thread on BG actually heading to do something of consequence!

I know the financial commitment it'll take. I think anyone who's following legitimate forums and reading up on RNG regularly knows the financial aspect of the job and takes it seriously. Those who don't, like I said, should play other DD jobs, not complain about their numbers, or expect criticism...just as any mediocre player should.

I will criticize a BLM without all their spells. A WAR will bust another WAR without their weapon skills high enough to do all their procs. Some things are expected of all jobs, we all agree, yes? Its a harsh world, Vana'diel. But in the days of Cleaving jobs up, I think people expect lv.99 is enough, and that's far from the truth.

So yes, its hard to buff RNG. I think moreso than that, most of us would like some common sense put into the job.

-make EES not miss.
-make the "sweet spot" a reasonable distance (15' in my opinion, less than max magic casting but more than the current) away.
-allow WSs to fire without being engaged since we can shoot on an enemy without being engaged.

just a few off the top of my head.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-04-23 15:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
-allow WSs to fire without being engaged since we can shoot on an enemy without being engaged.

This, this, A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lenneth
Server: Ragnarok
user: Lenneth
By Ragnarok.Lenneth 2012-04-23 15:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Auto fire on and off button please...
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-04-23 15:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Annihilator RNG is still slightly sub par to good melee DDs if all are fully buffed. I was keeping up(within 5-10% on good fights) to a good 99 ragnarok DRK on my 95 annihilator at qilin though. The lack in damage is still quite significant, your WS frequency is just too low to consistently beat good DDs who WS as much as possible.

I'm curious how a kclub rng would do on some voidwatch if you were able to cap accuracy though, any thoughts? I know on some lower end NMs, with proper gear you could cap(Qilin, etc).
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-04-23 15:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

This, this, A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

Support this. The most annoying thing ever is waiting to engage, but... you cannot perform that action!

I do think sweet spot should be increased slightly in distance. It doesn't necessarily need to be outside AoE range, but at least not so stringent in its own range.

I do think ammo costs need to be reduced a bit... I have no problems paying for ingots and such, but it is kind of ridiculous that I need to pay 100-200k per event just to use my best job, while any other melee can spend 0 gil. They perform worse, but still, having to synergize the bullets is annoying enough on top of the gil we have spend.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-04-23 16:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
Annihilator RNG is still slightly sub par to good melee DDs if all are fully buffed. I was keeping up(within 5-10% on good fights) to a good 99 ragnarok DRK on my 95 annihilator at qilin though. The lack in damage is still quite significant, your WS frequency is just too low to consistently beat good DDs who WS as much as possible.

I'm curious how a kclub rng would do on some voidwatch if you were able to cap accuracy though, any thoughts? I know on some lower end NMs, with proper gear you could cap(Qilin, etc).

Well his weapon is 99 and yours is 95 first off. Assuming you're using tact roll + regain atma, your WS frequency should only be slightly less than his. If he has march as well, then you should have minuet, and his ws frequency will go way up, but your damage should go way up as well. You should have no trouble hitting 6.5k last stands with full buffs. It'll be hard for anyone to keep up with that.

That said, qilin is a crap mob. I think you'll see RNG shine more on harder stuff like provenance watcher, and certainly in legion.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-23 16:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

...RNG is good for killing fetters in Provenance Watcher, and for procing Archery.

Helel, I want to touch myself to your RNG sometimes, but it's still not going to keep up with delay-capped WARs with MS up and DRKs/SAMs on a 4-minute SV/Embrava fight.
 Cerberus.Mystina
Server: Cerberus
user: Lede
By Cerberus.Mystina 2012-04-23 16:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

...RNG is good for killing fetters in Provenance Watcher, and for procing Archery.

Helel, I want to touch myself to your RNG sometimes, but it's still not going to keep up with delay-capped WARs with MS up and DRKs/SAMs on a 4-minute SV/Embrava fight.

they are also good for damaging mobs without being in range of dangerous AOEs that those other "DDs" need to ride fanatics for.

not everything is about hack slash and afk and come back to press a macro.
 Odin.Tsuneo
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-04-23 16:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

We would need endgame that isn't driven by temp item spamming for that to be relevant. Legion could be what I'm talking about, but I've never done it myself.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-04-23 16:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah... I can't hack slash and afk in VW, or anything really... but especially VW.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-23 16:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mystina said: »

they are also good for damaging mobs without being in range of dangerous AOEs that those other "DDs" need to ride fanatics for.

not everything is about hack slash and afk and come back to press a macro.

I didn't say "for everything." I said for Provenance Watcher. It's a sv/embrava zerg fight.

But thanks for the input.
 Cerberus.Mystina
user: Lede
By Cerberus.Mystina 2012-04-23 16:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tsuneo said: »
We would need endgame that isn't driven by temp item spamming for that to be relevant. Legion could be what I'm talking about, but I've never done it myself.

Thats all the last updates have been since abyssea came out, temp item spam. hopefuly there is more content that dosn't really rely on that.
 Bismarck.Gaspee
user: Gaspee
By Bismarck.Gaspee 2012-04-23 16:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Helel, I want to touch myself to your RNG sometimes
You cheating on me? You're cheating on me.
 Bahamut.Ragni
user: Ragni
By Bahamut.Ragni 2012-04-23 16:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

My avg dmg in Prov watcher is 60k sometimes im first in parse (Anni 95). So your argument is invalid.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7