Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Pup in Dynamis v.2
Pup in Dynamis v.2
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 9 10 11
 Siren.Vanian
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Vanian 2012-12-11 08:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you read the post i was replying to? He said he struggled to kill 2 dc birds so i very much doubt he will be able to handle 4 or 5 dc mobs easily. If he struggles with 2 he needs more evasion and less dmg taken. The gear swops i sugested are what he needs to change to survive. If your dead your not killing anything.

Also make sure to get signet, it will help evasion atk and def against the target yoyr fighting.
 Bismarck.Zagen
Server: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2012-12-13 10:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried out PUP a few times solo and recently duo, now I'm fairly new to PUP and well still have a lot to learn but it has been awesome and being able to go during WS instead of JA is quite awesome.

I was wondering for anyone who duos would WHM + PUP/THF with Valor or Sharpshot Frame out perform THF/DNC + PUP/00 or PUP/WAR with Soulsoother setup (I use this currently)?

Does anyone know approximately what the recast on Barrage from Barrage Turbine is it 3 minutes like Shield Bash?
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-12-13 10:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Zagen said: »
I tried out PUP a few times solo and recently duo, now I'm fairly new to PUP and well still have a lot to learn but it has been awesome and being able to go during WS instead of JA is quite awesome.

I was wondering for anyone who duos would WHM + PUP/THF with Valor or Sharpshot Frame out perform THF/DNC + PUP/00 or PUP/WAR with Soulsoother setup (I use this currently)?

Does anyone know approximately what the recast on Barrage from Barrage Turbine is it 3 minutes like Shield Bash?

Keep in mind my pup is lower lv atm so my experience with it is low, but i think your best bet would be something like pup/-- + thf/war if you are doing dc's & pup/thf + whm if you are killing ep's. If youre solo, should probably stick to pup/thf on ep's (This is all assuming WS time proccing). Atm, im lvling pup to add another good job to solo with in dynamis. Currently, blu + dnc are my 2 solo jobs for dyna and i avg good money with them, but pup seems pretty fun so id like to try to add to that arsenal. Anything besides bst -.-'
 Bahamut.Rafien
Server: Bahamut
user: rafien
By Bahamut.Rafien 2012-12-13 11:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this thread needs to close :)

Last thing I want to see is more PUP's hanging out in Dyna. I believe it's a hidden secret that needs to stay that way.
[+]
 Bismarck.Zagen
Server: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2012-12-13 11:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Rafien said: »
I think this thread needs to close :)

Last thing I want to see is more PUP's hanging out in Dyna. I believe it's a hidden secret that needs to stay that way.
If the cost to start it wasn't in the range of 2-5 million (probably higher now), good gear, skilled puppet, and the general perceived learning curve I'd worry.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [56 days between previous and next post]
By Lariae 2013-02-07 21:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I was actually thinking of making this transition on my server from THF/DNC + BRD/DNC to PUP/THF and PUP/XXX.. I see alot of posts saying the startup costs for this job are 2-5mil, why is that? My THF/DNC has full thaumas.. Would that make it cheaper? >_>
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-07 21:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The prices of certain useful attachments are quite high.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 21:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The prices of certain useful attachments are quite high.

Yeah it's all about the attachments. and going without a subjob is pretty much never recommended as whites are so low of a proc chance it's not even worth it really.
By Lariae 2013-02-07 21:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I currently pull anywhere from 280-320 currency a run dual boxing those two characters.. You guys think efficiency would go up enough to justify leveling/skilling up the job? (And the money along with it)
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-07 21:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Dualboxing two pups would make my head explode (and my fingers cramp up). Unless you're an awesome dualboxer, I'm not sure how you could effectively manage 4 PCs at once (2 mains and 2 autos). I would probably keep one of those character as THF and go subless on the PUP.

The only problem though is that PUP (at least in my experiences) procs slower compared to the typical XXX/DNC class, so your second character may be sitting around a lot. But I guess that depends if you can play the THF as an efficient WS proc'er as well. But the micromanaging involved in that sounds excessive.

Also, don't underestimate the time involved in skilling up the auto :X
By Lariae 2013-02-07 21:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now playing BRD/DNC and THF/DNC the micro is insane.. FFXIswitchmon makes it easier since i use a controller though..

But... Typically right now I'm..

Pulling a mob on THF with TH Gear + Acid bolts, Engaging on both chars. Box step + Stun on thf, switch, Box step/ stun on Dnc. Then I start casting my marches. Go back to stepping/stunning until proc. Position thief for TA and SA.. then skillchain with Aeolian edge-->Exenterator.. It's incredibly stressful doing this and keeping up marches and all that to.

I think my limiting factor right now is kill speed moreso than proccing. My BRD doesn't contribute much to damage at all, admittedly its not nearly as geared as my thief.. but yeah. Even cutting out the need to keep march up would make it alot easier on me.. And if i can up my currency in the process, great.

Im admittedly pretty ignorant when it comes to PUP, but a very fast learner. Would setting up a proc chain macro be effective enough? Just slam the macro once on both chars, and DD?

Or am i better off just leveling MNK on the bard or something and just doing MNK/DNC or something..
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 21:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Dualboxing two pups would make my head explode (and my fingers cramp up). Unless you're an awesome dualboxer, I'm not sure how you could effectively manage 4 PCs at once (2 mains and 2 autos). I would probably keep one of those character as THF and go subless on the PUP.

The only problem though is that PUP (at least in my experiences) procs slower compared to the typical XXX/DNC class, so your second character may be sitting around a lot. But I guess that depends if you can play the THF as an efficient WS proc'er as well. But the micromanaging involved in that sounds excessive.

Also, don't underestimate the time involved in skilling up the auto :X

I proc the ever living hell out of mobs in dynamis on pup. 1 Flash or strobe usually does the trick. WS mob camps are usually not cramped, and sooooo easy to do on pup.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-07 22:02:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess you could set it up so maneuvers could be maintained from a single window. But still, I find the most effective way to proc on PUP is to train 3-5 mobs and cycle through them as your auto pops his procs moves. Doing that across 2 windows sounds crazy.

Anyway, I'd assume you know your own micromanaging skill level better than I do, but you're still going to have to deal with the large cost of properly outfitting two PUPs as well as the time investment of skilling up their autos.

Odin.Eikechi said: »
I proc the ever living hell out of mobs in dynamis on pup. 1 Flash or strobe usually does the trick. WS mob camps are usually not cramped, and sooooo easy to do on pup.
20% (or whatever the exact proc rate is) is 20%. The reality is that proc oppurtunities come at a bit faster rate for JA procs, and a decently-geared PUP is going to be limited by proc rate moreso than kill rate. But PUP can come out ahead simply due to the total lack of competition, yeah. Which is a good thing since a lot of mobs I engage will die unprocced :x
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 22:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess you could set it up so maneuvers could be maintained from a single window. But still, I find the most effective way to proc on PUP is to train 3-5 mobs and cycle through them as your auto pops his procs moves. Doing that across 2 windows sounds crazy.

Anyway, I'd assume you know your own micromanaging skill level better than I do, but you're still going to have to deal with the large cost of properly outfitting two PUPs as well as the time investment of skilling up their autos.

Odin.Eikechi said: »
20% (or whatever the exact proc rate is) is 20%. The reality is that proc oppurtunities come at a bit faster rate for JA procs, and a decently-geared PUP is going to be limited by proc rate moreso than kill rate. But PUP can come out ahead simply due to the total lack of competition, yeah. Which is a good thing since a lot of mobs I engage will die unprocced :x

It might be 20% activation, but you get so many off per mob it's unreal. I used to solo a LOT of currency per run for being on "lolpup". I think my max run was like 230 solo.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-07 22:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I find that I can build TP to 100% and WS only once per mob before I have to switch mobs and let the auto take over (if it's not proced already of course). I still end up killing quite a few unproced because I can only realistically handle 5 mobs at the very most before I have to start killing them off (or die trying!).

I just enjoy being alone at WS camps. Not having to wrestle with BSTs for mob claims is really nice.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 22:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I find that I can build TP to 100% and WS only once per mob before I have to switch mobs and let the auto take over (if it's not proced already of course). I still end up killing quite a few unproced because I can only realistically handle 5 mobs at the very most before I have to start killing them off (or die trying!).

I just enjoy being alone at WS camps. Not having to wrestle with BSTs for mob claims is really nice.

User weaker WSs to start off? You don't have to pull 5 mobs at once on pup, like you can/should on bst. I typically rotate enough maneuvers to have my auto using those moves the second the timers are up with tact processor. I used the DC mobs to farm my dynamis grind. Not sure if you use EPs, but I find they really suck.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-07 22:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Spinning Attack or OIP if below 50%, otherwise it gets Smited.

I like the placement of EP camps better than DCs. So yeah, I can see how tactics would change with a stronger mob. I guess I should experiment with DC camps though to see if I like em better or not on PUP.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 22:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Spinning Attack or OIP if below 50%, otherwise it gets Smited.

I like the placement of EP camps better than DCs. So yeah, I can see how tactics would change with a stronger mob. I guess I should experiment with DC camps though to see if I like em better or not on PUP.

I plowed through EPs far too easily, even with just punches >_<. Wasn't good for my liking. Couldn't proc enough the 30m I tried them. I eventually just said *** it, and moved over to the DC's.
 Lakshmi.Giti
Server: Lakshmi
user: giti
By Lakshmi.Giti 2013-02-07 23:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I just left dynamis 309 not bad and only farm EP.
By sefalon 2013-02-07 23:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Giti said: »

What frame? any special attchments or just the norm? I am almost ready to try it myself waiting on 90 vere and pup skill.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-07 23:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Mythic owners make everyone else look bad >< lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Giti
Server: Lakshmi
user: giti
By Lakshmi.Giti 2013-02-07 23:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

meh its not that i have kkk I use whm puppet and if mob is low on hp whm puppet can still proc w/o doing damage to mobs
By sefalon 2013-02-07 23:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

meh its not that i have kkk I use whm puppet and if mob is low on hp whm puppet can still proc w/o doing damage to mobs

So that also mean that you do most of the tanking and pup just proc enfeeb cures?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-07 23:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that's pretty much how it works. I deploy mine in melee range though to make use of Tactical Switch.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-02-08 00:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

309 solo? O_o

I agree. I can get a good bit more currency solo on BST compared to PUP (for myself only, probably 225-250 vs 150-165) but not having to compete with every BST/DNC/THF/BLU on the server is worth the loss of currency IMO. Dynamis feels like a goddamn job when you have to rush around getting claim, and freaking out over someone stealing your proc'ced mobs. No thanks! As it is, my wife and I duo Dynamis, and the easy prey camps have a perfect number of mobs for the two of us as PUP + PUP. After seeing some other puppetmasters and their drop numbers, I'm definitely going to work on our PUP gear (after we 99 her Spharai).
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-02-08 00:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I wrong in hypothesizing that PUP can use Tactical Switch to help maintain AM3?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-02-08 00:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Am I wrong in hypothesizing that PUP can use Tactical Switch to help maintain AM3?
Yes.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-02-08 00:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't even like, use it during your WS animation to get a head start on building?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-02-08 00:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't even like, use it during your WS animation to get a head start on building?
You can, but automaton don't hold TP unless you're also holding TP.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-02-08 00:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe with Inhibitor, although I'm not sure how practical that would be. When you use WSes between your 300 TP AM3 ones, the auto would try to follow your lead if he's in melee range. If he's not in melee range, he'd sit on his TP to 300.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 9 10 11