Game: FFXI
user: Stanislav
By Cerberus.Stanislav 2011-09-07 12:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fearforever said: »
Cerberus.Stanislav said: »
Cerberus.Kaht said: »
I am happy to address any issues and answer any questions people may have.

I think the real question everyone wants to know is: did you get the job? :)

I won't know for 2 weeks =)

Whats the job doing, designer, programmer? :D

Software Engineer for the battle.net sites
 Ragnarok.Yathatguy
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rathan
By Ragnarok.Yathatguy 2011-09-07 12:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't F with my battle.net account or I'll fk'n cut you homes. Diablo II is serious business!
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2011-09-07 12:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I got an email from "Diablo III" asking me to beta but it looks fake since it asks for B.Net PW....
 Ragnarok.Ruklin
user: Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2011-09-07 12:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, after reading the pure retardation that this thread is... I have to say you (OP) really you need to pull your head out and wake up. As several people have already stated, not wanting the most amount of people to view your shouts/yells so that you can actually get a response in a timely manner is beyond my comprehension toward why you would be shouting in the first place.
Since you have such a strong stance against things you /shout in game using a character name going to a forum where other players of the same game can see it, I hope you don't use facebook, or any other social networking site that sells your personal information to corporations. Just sayin...
Furthermore, saying that broadcasting SHOUT data is an invasion of privacy is like saying that posting youtube videos on a site other than youtube is an invasion of privacy, since it's not being viewed directly through youtube itself.
Just thought I'd toss out a few comparisons of other forms of media that you likely use. Hope this helps to further your paranoia.
[+]
 Odin.Katoke
Server: Odin
user: Katoke
By Odin.Katoke 2011-09-07 12:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Can OP be banned from GW and FFXIAH? Also find it funny he 'just uses this site to track atmas' and has almost every alternate messaging/gaming tag filled out.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-09-07 12:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tamoa said: »
Cerberus.Nyanoh said: »
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/20106/se-pls-let-the-ps2-die#1225437

Dat modding and altana viewer are very much against ToS hypocrite

Remove the tin foil hat

Lol, nice find.
Bet he deletes it once he comes across it in here XD
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2011-09-07 12:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Or change everything he says to "I make horrible decisions"
its a win win because anything he seems to say is in fact the gist of the quote.
 Ragnarok.Ruklin
user: Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2011-09-07 12:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I almost forgot, ya'know those little scan cards you get at the grocery store that give you discounts or rewards and such based on items bought or amount spent? Well guess what, that grocery store sells your personal info to the companies that make the products that you just bought. ^_-
I think it's important to note that Stan is not selling any of the information we give him, nor is he selling your shout information. This feature is purely to help you get a response to your shout. And the people getting the information are not outside parties, they are players. Here, have some coffee
By Wenuden 2011-09-07 12:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck. Hopefully they don't offer you the job on the condition you give up Guildwork to see if you stand up to your word.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-09-07 12:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Stan:

For me been able to finish crafting on my mules, fishing, craft things i need like food, ammo and other stuff. Also, wish you would have done this years ago.

Thanks.

For the people who believes that what you do in private no one knows about it? think again. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. We don't live in a stone-age anymore. Wake the hell up there isn't any privacy in the world we live in now.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-09-07 12:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Wenuden said: »

Good luck. Hopefully they don't offer you the job on the condition you give up Guildwork to see if you stand up to your word.
That's mostly a question used to determine loyalty.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-09-07 13:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

To OP and the people who agree with op:

[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2011-09-07 13:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Yathatguy said: »
Don't F with my battle.net account or I'll fk'n cut you homes. Diablo II is serious business!
got my enigma 2 days ago. my assassin still sucks though :/
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-09-07 13:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said: »

LolAssassin
 Leviathan.Matteh
Server: Leviathan
user: Matteh
By Leviathan.Matteh 2011-09-07 13:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tamoa said: »
Asura.Dajociont said: »
you're a nice find

UNGH

<3???

Leviathan.Matteh said: »
Maybe thats what hes scared of, having what he said in the past used against him? gotta love how some ppl cant stand by their opinions >.>

Sort of reminds me of this guy that once made some dumb/amusing statements in shout, I screenied it and posted it on BG, TWO MONTHS later I get tells about what a terrible person I am and that he didn't like me taking screenshots of what he shouted.
cause its srs bizness lol
 Ragnarok.Corres
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2011-09-07 13:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said: »

LolAssassin
making a pretty good built actually. so no hatin' till lvl 90.
 Leviathan.Matteh
user: Matteh
By Leviathan.Matteh 2011-09-07 13:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

should have the mods change all OP posts to say "Pending moderation by the FBI" cause you know, its serious business about everything you do being seen?
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-09-07 13:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said: »

LolAssassin
making a pretty good built actually. so no hatin' till lvl 90.

Best Assassin is a trap-sin. Plus, enigma is mainly used for hammer-dins. Oh, summoning mancers too. Nothing like piling 40 skeletons + a golem on one boss. Clay golem is broken lol.
 Cerberus.Kiori
user: Kiori
By Cerberus.Kiori 2011-09-07 13:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Hunewearl said: »
Cerberus.Kiori said: »
Cerberus.Jaxson said: »
Well its not so much that, as I feel like its cheating and don't approve of the use of it. I also don't approve of windower either, so there you have it.
FFXIAH is a third party tool...log off now so you're no longer cheating. Also...Wiki and Gamer Escape, and all those little forums out there are also "cheating" since they provide "guides" and "tips" on how to make your character better. (using logic as strategy guides are tools for cheating)
Your logic is wrong.

Any wiki type web page, or any forum in its text form, is nothing more than a community website and the information shared there remain perfectly ok. Where the line is crossed and there is a need to clean up (which I will probably do one day), is when you read up on one of the first missions such as CoP or ZM, forgot which, and you are told "use a speed hack to get this part done". At this point, it stops being informative or even helpful, it's just being HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and it is not really what we are looking for on wiki in the first place.

Now, the Guildwork feature is very good. If anything, SE should feel ashamed to not make this kind of feature available by themselves. I wouldn't call this cheating, especially in 2011. It's not entertaining anymore to log on just to see shouts, old video game players will enjoy.

That being said, it's really not smart to leave your in-game name available for anyone to see, especially when the "anyone" includes people that could hammer you. Or even worse, have people like the OP report it to the STF, making you as vulnerable as a blow up doll.
Sorry, but my logic is not wrong. It seems you've never came across such an anal "gamer" then. Can't count the number of times people's argued with me about how guides (even official guides) are cheating.

Using that logic (thinking) I was merely pointing out if the OP truly , honestly, believes that seeing PUBLIC shouts/yells in game is cheating, then using this site, wiki(ge), and what ever other websites out there go along with the same standards of: if it's not in game, and not reading it game, it's cheating.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2011-09-07 13:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Before anyone attacks me, I'm playing devil's advocate.

Ahem. Instead of taking the "it's cheating" approach, I'd like to go for the invasion of privacy angle. How can something meant to be public be an invasion of privacy? Let's first analyze the Auction House.

The AH, and I speak of the one in the game, is a public means of trading most of the games items. It provides a short history of timestamped transactions that will let anyone know when, how much, who, and to whom an item was sold. This is pretty straight forward, and the purpose is evident: it allows people a reasonable gauge of what the running price is for an item.

Within the game, we can look up a specific item and see exactly who bought and sold it. There is, now, a huge difference between this, and the ability to look up a specific player and see exactly what they are buying and selling. The purpose of the latter is less evident. In fact, I'm not even sure what the purpose is, or rather, what it is supposed to be. The game AH is used to trade items, so the indexing reversal that occurs on this website is rather baffling to me. I mean, I can imagine possible uses, but whether it's trying to get a head on a rival crafter, trying to figure out someone's farming pattern, or just downright blatant stalking, it's all stalking in the end. If you would like to inform me of other purposes I for some reason can't imagine, please do so (I'm particularly interested in the intended purpose).

Before anyone feels like pointing it out, I'm quite aware you can block your personal AH history on this website. But, that's exactly what we're talking about, isn't it? Generally, someone shouting wants to do something now, wants to sell something now, wants to buy something now. Now, now, now. The in game shout buffer functions beautifully for this purpose. For that matter, the FFXIAH "stripped down" shout feature does as well. I don't need to see shouts that occurred months, weeks, or even hours ago, because 99% of the time they simply aren't applicable anymore.

This is precisely where an archived, indexed and searchable shout history becomes problematic. I'm not overly concerned with the 99% of useless stored data, for god knows I have my share of it on my own HD. And for that 1% that for whatever reason remains useful hours days or weeks later, then I suppose it has served some kind of purpose, even if that purpose is likely the trading of items, a base that someone who is using guildwork should already have covered.

No, what concerns me, if I can call it concern, is the potential for abuse. Like the AH history, this pretty much just leaves a door open for stalking particular players, with few and far between an actual useful function. Again, I'd love to hear any uses I might be omitting, and again, particularly the intended one.

I don't see any reason why a player should be blocked from a time limited shout stream, less the shout contain something obscene (though I suspect in this case the player will be quickly removed from FFXI regardless of the actions of any 3rd party). Indexed archive, however, yes. I see the problem. And I don't think it's a particularly absurd request to want to opt out.
 Cerberus.Krystale
user: vaness
By Cerberus.Krystale 2011-09-07 14:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't understand why this is still alive.

it's just a *** character in port jeuno of every servers recording shouts.

I don't see how that affect privacy in any way since everyone would see you shout if you were in port jeuno.

Stupid ppl are stupid.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-09-07 14:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say posting here is more a violation of privacy going off the OPs logic since you can google <server>.<name> and get a list of someones posts. Honestly this is on the same level as woman who go out in public showing their boobs and get offended when people look.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-09-07 14:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Krystale said: »
I still don't understand why this is still alive.

it's just a *** character in port jeuno of every servers recording shouts.

I don't see how that affect privacy in any way since everyone would see you shout if you were in port jeuno.

Stupid ppl are stupid.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-09-07 14:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
Before anyone attacks me, I'm playing devil's advocate.

Within the game, we can look up a specific item and see exactly who bought and sold it. There is, now, a huge difference between this, and the ability to look up a specific player and see exactly what they are buying and selling. The purpose of the latter is less evident. In fact, I'm not even sure what the purpose is, or rather, what it is supposed to be. The game AH is used to trade items, so the indexing reversal that occurs on this website is rather baffling to me. I mean, I can imagine possible uses, but whether it's trying to get a head on a rival crafter, trying to figure out someone's farming pattern, or just downright blatant stalking, it's all stalking in the end. If you would like to inform me of other purposes I for some reason can't imagine, please do so (I'm particularly interested in the intended purpose).

Maybe it doesn't have a purpose, but I know I've found crafters/or farmers/someother kind of supplier based on their ffxiah profiles or histories. Another thing I get from the history is a better idea of the market. This part doesn't have anything to do with people's names, but, still, I find it useful for things that tend to fluctuate. In fact, I've often wanted a LONGER price history.

And, I don't know how that changes anything, really. If, say, someone is consistantly selling what you make for 1,000g less - it doesn't take a long auction house history to find out who it is. If nothing else, just try buying the item for a price under what you list them for.

And, outside of the personal history which you know can be limited/hidden, it only shows the last 25 sales of an item. I don't see that as too different from the last 10 or 12 that you can see at the in game AH. Not sure though.
 Bismarck.Dmaul
user: Dmaul
By Bismarck.Dmaul 2011-09-07 14:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It's obvious what this thread needs...

Fenrir.Camaroz
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2011-09-07 15:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hardcore updating action!! That is all
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2011-09-07 15:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said: »
And, outside of the personal history which you know can be limited/hidden, it only shows the last 25 sales of an item. I don't see that as too different from the last 10 or 12 that you can see at the in game AH. Not sure though.
Two points here:

a) It's different because of how it's indexed, not whether it's 10 or 25 or over 9000 last sales. You'd have to go excessively out of your way and check every item in the game, all of the time, to get an idea of what a specific person is trading. No human being can do this, but FFXIAH processes the data quite readily. I mean, I'm sure everyone here can see exactly why you're given the option to block this personal history.

b) The fact that you can block your personal AH history doesn't preclude my argument; in fact, it makes the case by way of analogy.
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-09-07 15:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I see, like if someone was interested in the person first, not the item. Gotcha. As for the second part, I just meant that hiding your history would put focus on the item only, and not the person. I totally think that privacy options here are a good argument for privacy options @guildwork. (For the people that might want them.)

But, I don't know, was just interesting to think about. My ffxiah and guildwork are kinda there for the viewing if people want to.*

Brb, hardcore updating. :P
 Cerberus.Stanislav
VIP
user: Stanislav
By Cerberus.Stanislav 2011-09-07 15:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
This is precisely where an archived, indexed and searchable shout history becomes problematic. I'm not overly concerned with the 99% of useless stored data, for god knows I have my share of it on my own HD. And for that 1% that for whatever reason remains useful hours days or weeks later, then I suppose it has served some kind of purpose, even if that purpose is likely the trading of items, a base that someone who is using guildwork should already have covered.

I would like to note that Guildwork only archives the last 24 hours of shouts. Anything else is deleted. Basically there is a cron job running every single hour and deleting any shouts older then 24 hours.

Archiving all of it is not only useless, it consumes a lot of resources that I don't wish to spend time or money on.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-07 15:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I was concerned a little at first but if it works like he says then I'm not now.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8