Blocking Guildwork
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Carbuncle.Kunisama
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Kunimitsu
By Carbuncle.Kunisama 2011-09-06 20:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

so....you are /shouting in jeuno but..you want less people to see it? The whole point of /shout is to let as many people see it as possible. Why would you ever not want more people to see it oO

"Guys I want to shout for an exp pt but I am not comfortable with people in Bastok being able to see this plz help"
[+]
 Shiva.Mackstrife
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Mackstrife 2011-09-06 20:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Kunisama said: »
so....you are /shouting in jeuno but..you want less people to see it? The whole point of /shout is to let as many people see it as possible. Why would you ever not want more people to see it oO

[+]
 Lakshmi.Valdrake
Server: Lakshmi
user: Valdrake
By Lakshmi.Valdrake 2011-09-06 20:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

i love the idea of being able to see shouts no matter where i am. XI is probably one of the ONLY MMO's that don't have a feature where you can shout for whatever and see it no matter where you are. (i'd say its cause of the time period XI was made in and PS2 limitations) SE looks like they ARE trying to put in a system of sorts,(ie /yell) but alas players seem to be able to do it a bit faster than SE ever will.

...but if you don't want ppl to see your shouts well we can always just blist you? i mean that works... well... maybe... no.. not really i'd do it for fun though
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-09-06 20:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
From what I understand this only gathers convo from shouts but if he can do that what prevents him from eventually skimming party, linkshell and tell chat?

If anyone is concerned about that, don't use GW client. It can only read the chat buffer of the user, not anyone else. I think stan is going to implement a feature to opt-out of reading the shout data. You can look over the packets and see what is going to guildwork.com.
 Asura.Jaybezz
Server: Asura
By Asura.Jaybezz 2011-09-06 21:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-06 21:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Scragg said: »
Quote:
From what I understand this only gathers convo from shouts but if he can do that what prevents him from eventually skimming party, linkshell and tell chat?

If anyone is concerned about that, don't use GW client. It can only read the chat buffer of the user, not anyone else. I think stan is going to implement a feature to opt-out of reading the shout data. You can look over the packets and see what is going to guildwork.com.
I guess I'm a bit confused then... He can skim the shouts of any user but can only skim /tell /party and /linkshell of a GW user?

From what little I read about this I thought that he skims the shouts from all servers and then archives them right? I don't really get the archive feature unless people want to be entertained by jeuno shout drama as I saw the use for this to be mainly for users to be able to see events going on while they were not on. This would allow them to make the decision to log on if they saw a shout they liked which lets them afk off the game instead of just sitting in Jeuno.

I also read that people using the GW client can chat and such while off the game and that he temp saves 200 characters or something for a limited time.

See to me GW clients know what they are getting into and thats fine with me. My issue is that if he can skim shouts now (of the general public), and say thats all hes doing, whats to stop him from skimming other info later on? You may trust him but I certainly don't and I have no reason to.

I personally don't like the idea that someone has it set up where they can possibly do that so easily. What people say and what people do are often two different things.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-09-06 21:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jaxson said: »
I'll talk to stan about it next time he's on since he's on my server.
LOL. No, you won't.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2011-09-06 21:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Debated stepping in here for a long time but... for those worried about privacy and the legal angle... The inquiry always begins with the expectation of privacy.

That said, when PLAYING A VIDEO GAME on the internet and stepping into the in-game equivalent of the town square (i.e. a public forum within said game when you shout) the expectation of privacy is minimal at best.

No rights are being violated so i don't get the hubub, bub?
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-09-06 21:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
See to me GW clients know what they are getting into and thats fine with me. My issue is that if he can skim shouts now (of the general public), and say thats all hes doing, whats to stop him from skimming other info later on? You may trust him but I certainly don't and I have no reason to.

I personally don't like the idea that someone has it set up where they can possibly do that so easily. What people say and what people do are often two different things.

As Stan said before, feel free to watch the packets sent out by the GW client.

I'm pretty sure the shouts from here are just a collection of the shouts collected from the people running the GW clients. Unless there's a shout server that can be mined (much like another site which I'm sure you are familiar with)

What the hell is with all the paranoia mongering? The only real concern here has been addressed. Scragg said that Stan may add an option to disable this feature from the GW client. Although the option for you to NOT use the GW client at all is also there.

You guys don't trust Stan but trust this website to be free of malicious code and/or windower too? I find that rather amusing.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-06 21:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Who says I trust the people that run this site? The difference to me though is that the info mined by AH is exclusive to the game where this is not.
 Ramuh.Yarly
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-09-06 21:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Who says I trust the people that run this site? The difference to me though is that the info mined by AH is exclusive to the game where this is not.

You signed up with an email address and gave a password associated with it. You even linked a character at some point.

You VISIT the website, that's a pretty dangerous act all together.

Now I'm sure Scragg isn't selling your login/email/password/characternames combo to the highest bidder, but you see where someone could doubt that.
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-09-06 21:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So...... You be postin in a troll thread?
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-09-06 21:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Stan is watching me have cyber sex :(
[+]
 Cerberus.Jaxson
user: Jaxson
By Cerberus.Jaxson 2011-09-06 21:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

We all watch you do that lu.
 Bismarck.Punchus
Server: Bismarck
user: Punchus
By Bismarck.Punchus 2011-09-06 21:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I see nothing wrong with the subject. I'd really like to see a language translator feature for all those times I don't understand whats being said. If they could do that then I'll gladly pay premium for Guildworks.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Yomisha
By Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha 2011-09-06 21:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

We all watch you do that lu.
Not me, I don't want to be a criminal along with him! :3
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-09-06 21:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I guess I'm a bit confused then... He can skim the shouts of any user but can only skim /tell /party and /linkshell of a GW user?

Whatever is in the chat buffer. If anyone shouts in Port Jeuno and a GW Client user is in the same zone, it's in GW client's users chat buffer and gets pushed to the website.

FFXIAH v1.0 did the same thing, I had volunteers download a program that read the chat buffer which contained the price history.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-09-06 22:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

So it reads half the conversation, or if I'm having a conversation with someone that uses GW, it logs both ends of the conversation?
By Zenshiro14 2011-09-06 22:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really care of people use windower or guildwork... its just not for me and I'm personally against it, but i won't stop anyone else from using it. I was mostly just wondering if there was a way I could add myself to a blocklist for it so my shouts wouldn't show up. I'll talk to stan about it next time he's on since he's on my server.

FFXIV even have blink me not lol and many other type of stuff that FFXI windower had. It show smoeone in your party blue when they have 1000TP it's not like FFXI windower version but close enough.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-09-06 22:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Quote:

So it reads half the conversation, or if I'm having a conversation with someone that uses GW, it logs both ends of the conversation?

Only shouts are logged.

To clarify my above quote, it can only read the chat buffer of the user, not another users chat buffer.
 Bahamut.Nixak
Server: Bahamut
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2011-09-06 22:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIAH v1.0 did the same thing, I had volunteers download a program that read the chat buffer which contained the price history.

v1.0? Is it done differently today?
 Ragnarok.Hyshio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hyshio
By Ragnarok.Hyshio 2011-09-06 22:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

eh thats okay i play on 360. they can toast my computer.

that explains everything
[+]
 Cerberus.Freonski
user: Gero
By Cerberus.Freonski 2011-09-06 22:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

What is this, I don't even..
 Asura.Alymorel
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2011-09-06 22:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

stuff
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-09-06 22:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Successful troll
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-09-06 22:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

While I'm pretty sure OP is trollin', if you're shouting, privacy goes out the window.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-06 22:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Whatever is in the chat buffer. If anyone shouts in Port Jeuno and a GW Client user is in the same zone, it's in GW client's users chat buffer and gets pushed to the website.

What version is FFXIAH now? XD
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-09-06 22:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I should of said 0.1 above. If I had to throw major version numbers around, I would say 3.x now.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-09-06 23:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said: »
While I'm pretty sure OP is trollin', if you're shouting, privacy goes out the window.

I don't know. There was a big thread on the official forums where people held comparably untenable positions.
 Valefor.Zolan
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Zolan 2011-09-06 23:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually read the lolthread before bed every night until I find something that really makes me laugh hard and hit the sack... OP made me laugh so loud I thought I was gonna wake up the misses.. Night AH
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8