Blocking Guildwork
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Leviathan.Cairbear
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Cairthenn
By Leviathan.Cairbear 2011-09-06 19:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

You are not a special snowflake. If you are shouting, you clearly intend for any audience to read what you are saying. If you don't like that, use a different method of communication.

As far as the other issue, with Guildwork monitoring chat log in real time..well..I opt to not use it..but that's on the individual level, nothing actually problematic.
 Cerberus.Liandaru
Server: Cerberus
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-09-06 19:02:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jaxson said: »
On a side note, I don't really use this site for anything but storing what merits/abyssites/atmas and so forth i have. Recently I bought a notebook and I've just been handwriting lists in there so I haven't really even been on recently. I won't have even noticed except a friend mentioned it after he reported it to the STF.
Bull. ***.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jaxson
user: Jaxson
By Cerberus.Jaxson 2011-09-06 19:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kiori said: »
I am not comfortable with the things I say in shout being available publicly to people who aren't in game. Is there anyway to get it blocked from showing my shouts?
I've never seen you shout...

I made a shout just for you :p. But you weren't on....
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-06 19:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Psycho Slip said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I'm really surprised that no one has cried foul about invasion of privacy issues. From what I understand this only gathers convo from shouts but if he can do that what prevents him from eventually skimming party, linkshell and tell chat? If I still played, I'd definitely have an issue with someone skimming my conversations and making money off of it to boot.

And for anyone who says that its the same as the forums it is most certainly not.
It is when the argument is that GW gives an unfair advantage.. So does this site, it allows people to look up prices and items on the AH without actually being in-game. The GW shout feature allows people to see shouts without being logged in, they're more comparable than you care to admit.
I have no issue or care about the advantage it does or doesn't give slip. My issue is with privacy and people making money off of people that have no idea this service is in place.
That was in response to you saying "And for anyone who says that its the same as the forums it is most certainly not."
The difference is that everyone here knows what they say is out there to say. A lot of people that play the game have no idea that their conversations are even being recorded and archived.
 Shiva.Karichan
Server: Shiva
user: Kari
By Shiva.Karichan 2011-09-06 19:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm really surprised that no one has cried foul about invasion of privacy issues. From what I understand this only gathers convo from shouts but if he can do that what prevents him from eventually skimming party, linkshell and tell chat? If I still played, I'd definitely have an issue with someone skimming my conversations and making money off of it to boot.

And for anyone who says that its the same as the forums it is most certainly not.

Other than what everyone else said, if you were really worried that Stan or anyone else affiliated with Guildwork was going to have the client upload your party/LS/tells/etc and read it, you could always not run the Guildwork client.

And @OP, there shouldn't be a reason to feel an invasion of privacy on shouts, nor a sense of anyone cheating.
There isn't a difference between you talking about someone behind their back and them seeing it on FFXIAH, and that person's friend being logged in to see it and pass it on to him.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jaxson
By Cerberus.Jaxson 2011-09-06 19:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Karichan said: »

Other than what everyone else said, if you were really worried that Stan or anyone else affiliated with Guildwork was going to have the client upload your party/LS/tells/etc and read it, you could always not run the Guildwork client.

And @OP, there shouldn't be a reason to feel an invasion of privacy on shouts, nor a sense of anyone cheating.
There isn't a difference between you talking about someone behind their back and them seeing it on FFXIAH, and that person's friend being logged in to see it and pass it on to him.

I have never had that happen but if I do I'll let you know.
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-09-06 19:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well its not so much that, as I feel like its cheating and don't approve of the use of it. I also don't approve of windower either, so there you have it.
+1 ftl
By slipispsycho 2011-09-06 19:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference is that everyone here knows what they say is out there to say. A lot of people that play the game have no idea that their conversations are even being recorded and archived.

The people who are saying that he shouldn't be using this site aren't talking about privacy, they're talking about the unfair advantage it provides since he's so against 3rd party tools or unfair advantages. Other than Yomi no one has said to stop using this site because it's public, they're telling him that because of the AH feature, and the guides and tips out there.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-09-06 19:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

On a side note, I don't really use this site for anything but storing what merits/abyssites/atmas and so forth i have. Recently I bought a notebook and I've just been handwriting lists in there so I haven't really even been on recently. I won't have even noticed except a friend mentioned it after he reported it to the STF.

You realize any single person can easily take a screen shot of you in game either from your party, from your LS or from say/shout and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it?

This is the internet.. play offline if you want privacy or play on private servers.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-09-06 19:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm i never though about this, but he is right, i'm surprised that SE still had not taken actions about ffxiah for tracking down users auctions house consumables or where that player is, cause this website is great to track down people/stalk if anyone switched servers and more, i used to have someone stalking and threatening me all over even if i switched servers when i used to be a taru. not to mention people judge by the stuff you buy or making fun of you
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-06 19:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The people who are saying that he shouldn't be using this site aren't talking about privacy, they're talking about the unfair advantage it provides since he's so against 3rd party tools or unfair advantages. Other than Yomi no one has said to stop using this site because it's public, they're telling him that because of the AH feature, and the guides and tips out there.
I don't even know what you're talking about anymore man lol..
[+]
 Cerberus.Jaxson
By Cerberus.Jaxson 2011-09-06 19:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Tweeek said: »

You realize any single person can easily take a screen shot of you in game either from your party, from your LS or from say/shout and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

This is the internet.. play offline if you want privacy or play on private servers.

That I care less about. If someone wants to take a screenshot of me, go for it. It probably won't be worth uploading, but even if they do, fantastic. I have no issues with that at all, since xi allows you to take screenshots.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-09-06 19:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I smell so much tin foil in this thread it's not even funny anymore.
[+]
By slipispsycho 2011-09-06 19:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
He's been told to stop using the forums by multiple people because they're the same, then you said they're not the same. No one's said for him to stop using them because of privacy issues. He has a problem with unfair advantages, these forums provide an unfair advantage.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-09-06 19:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Tweeek said: »

You realize any single person can easily take a screen shot of you in game either from your party, from your LS or from say/shout and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

That I care less about. If someone wants to take a screenshot of me, go for it. It probably won't be worth uploading, but even if they do, fantastic. I have no issues with that at all, since xi allows you to take screenshots.

reported you to the STF for posting on this website
[+]
 Leviathan.Novax
Server: Leviathan
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-09-06 19:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

This is an awesome feature Imo
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-09-06 19:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel obligated to inform you that you should probably bring this to internet court as SE is unlikely to do anything.

[+]
 Shiva.Mackstrife
By Shiva.Mackstrife 2011-09-06 19:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said: »
Well its not so much that, as I feel like its cheating and don't approve of the use of it. I also don't approve of windower either, so there you have it.
+1 ftl

Just ftr, SE does a pretty good job of ignoring the use of windower. If they don't in all practicality consider it cheating why should you?

I wouldn't even call windower one of those unfair advantages; unless you're using plug-ins that exploit game mechanics.

I don't really consider time stamp and distance as game exploits.. or notifications...
The people who I know that have windower, only use those plug-ins. I don't use it myself, but I don't really see "unfair advantages" in those.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-06 19:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shouts are one thing as people usually censor themselves in what they say for groups of people to see in the first place. My issue is that if he can skim shouts so easily what stops him from skimming other sorts of chat. Would you want someone to have access to your tells or pt chat? Some people here say he's trustworthy but I don't know this guy and I doubt most of the rest of you do either. I know that he's set up a site to make money in attempts to make game play a bit more customized and more accessible and he's going to charge you for a product that I'm not sure is even legal. Is that really a trustworthy person? I don't know for sure and hell he might be the most trustworthy guy out there. For me I personally have a problem with it and well my personal opinion isn't worth all that much anyways lol.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-06 19:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
He's been told to stop using the forums by multiple people because they're the same, then you said they're not the same. No one's said for him to stop using them because of privacy issues. He has a problem with unfair advantages, these forums provide an unfair advantage.
Ok, but what does that have to do with anything I've said?
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-09-06 19:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The amount of money he could make off the content that compromises 99.9% of tells is probably not worth the cost computing time it would take to parse it.
By mortontony1 2011-09-06 19:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Mackstrife said: »
+1 ftl

Just ftr, SE does a pretty good job of ignoring the use of windower. If they don't in all practicality consider it cheating why should you?

I wouldn't even call windower one of those unfair advantages; unless you're using plug-ins that exploit game mechanics.

I don't really consider time stamp and distance as game exploits.. or notifications...
The people who I know that have windower, only use those plug-ins. I don't use it myself, but I don't really see "unfair advantages" in those.

Even things like spellcast aren't really cheating. You could do just about everything you could in spellcast with the ffxi macro slots.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-09-06 19:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shouts are one thing as people usually censor themselves in what they say for groups of people to see in the first place. My issue is that if he can skim shouts so easily what stops him from skimming other sorts of chat. Would you want someone to have access to your tells or pt chat? Some people here say he's trustworthy but I don't know this guy and I doubt most of the rest of you do either. I know that he's set up a site to make money in attempts to make game play a bit more customized and more accessible and he's going to charge you for a product that I'm not sure is even legal. Is that really a trustworthy person? I don't know for sure and hell he might be the most trustworthy guy out there. For me I personally have a problem with it and well my personal opinion isn't worth all that much anyways lol.
Get a packet sniffer. You don't have to trust him. You can see anything going to or coming from your pc if you really want to.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dmaul
Server: Bismarck
user: Dmaul
By Bismarck.Dmaul 2011-09-06 19:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not comfortable with the things I say in shout being available publicly to people who aren't in game. Is there anyway to get it blocked from showing my shouts?

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said: »

hmmm i never though about this, but he is right, i'm surprised that SE still had not taken actions about ffxiah for tracking down users auctions house consumables or where that player is, cause this website is great to track down people/stalk if anyone switched servers and more, i used to have someone stalking and threatening me all over even if i switched servers when i used to be a taru. not to mention people judge by the stuff you buy or making fun of you

Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-06 19:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty surprised anyone cares about cheating anymore. Back in the day people used to be ashamed or kept it to themselves and voiced their hatred for it lol. Now a days people don't really seem to care anymore. Well, at least I thought so.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-06 19:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dmaul said: »

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said: »

Eloquent response lol.
By mortontony1 2011-09-06 19:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty surprised anyone cares about cheating anymore. Back in the day people used to be ashamed or kept it to themselves and voiced their hatred for it lol. Now a days people don't really seem to care anymore. Well, at least I thought so.

Prolly because slowly people start to realize that it doesn't really matter all that much.
 Cerberus.Kiori
user: Kiori
By Cerberus.Kiori 2011-09-06 19:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

alright, you guys keep talking about the STF...what's that? not familiar with the abbreviation.
 Shiva.Mackstrife
By Shiva.Mackstrife 2011-09-06 19:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

mortontony1 said: »
Shiva.Mackstrife said: »
+1 ftl

Even things like spellcast aren't really cheating. You could do just about everything you could in spellcast with the ffxi macro slots.

Truth, I forgot they have counters and spell recast.. but yes, you could just easily macro those things save the longer abilities.

Regardless of all this... when looking at it from a fairness point of view...

1st: That's in the eyes of the beholder... you may find one thing fair, the next person may not...
2nd: If you think its unfair, don't use it. Just don't be surprised when you're shouting for something and the person who replies to you is no where near Jeuno.
[+]
 Cerberus.Valmur
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2011-09-06 19:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Special Task Force. they apprently do stuff but you'll never see it :3
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8