Is FFXIV Really That Disappointing?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is FFXIV Really that Disappointing?
Is FFXIV Really that Disappointing?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Ramuh.Seyton
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: seyton
By Ramuh.Seyton 2010-10-14 13:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Meh. Regardless I picked up FFXIV. I don't plan to open it and play it though. It'll just sit on my shelf until the time is right, or forever if I pick up the PS3 version... if it's worth picking up by that time... Or maybe it'll end up like ET on atari. Those are actually worth a lot of money, nowadays so I hear.

The only reason ET would be worth ANYTHING is because all the cartridges the company could get got bought up and destroyed. I highly doubt SE will follow the same path.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-10-14 13:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Andevom said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Our first player dinged level 50 on ffxivpro.com last night.

Took just under 3 weeks.

So people will complain that Abyssea is broken and causes players to be noobish due to the ease of gaining levels...but they're perfectly okay with people being able to get to a Physical Lv. 50 by doing nothing but crafting by themselves?

That's...interesting.

Level means *** to us. If someone found a way to be Rank 50 in three weeks, that might be a little crazy.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-10-14 13:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Seyton said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
Meh. Regardless I picked up FFXIV. I don't plan to open it and play it though. It'll just sit on my shelf until the time is right, or forever if I pick up the PS3 version... if it's worth picking up by that time... Or maybe it'll end up like ET on atari. Those are actually worth a lot of money, nowadays so I hear.

The only reason ET would be worth ANYTHING is because all the cartridges the company could get got bought up and destroyed. I highly doubt SE will follow the same path.

They're not valuable. Maybe an unopened copy or something...but generally speaking, you'll pay more to ship it than for the cartridge itself.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-14 14:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said:
Ramuh.Seyton said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:

They're not valuable. Maybe an unopened copy or something...but generally speaking, you'll pay more to ship it than for the cartridge itself.
google tells me around 5 USD lol.
I'm just wondering where Catastrophe heard this lol.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-10-14 14:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Level means *** to us. If someone found a way to be Rank 50 in three weeks, that might be a little crazy.
You'd be surprised. A crafter dude in my linkshell who's level 42 was doing leves with me last night. We were both gladiators, me at 18 and him at 14.

He was doing a lot more damage, had an insanely higher accuracy rate, and had 75% more hitpoints. All from having twice the STR/VIT/DEX stats as me. We were doing level 20 leves on 4-5 stars and he was basically soloing them as the rest of us died over and over.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-10-14 14:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
You'd be surprised. A crafter dude in my linkshell who's level 42 was doing leves with me last night. We were both gladiators, me at 18 and him at 14.

He was doing a lot more damage, had an insanely higher accuracy rate, and had 75% more hitpoints. All from having twice the STR/VIT/DEX stats as me. We were doing level 20 leves on 4-5 stars and he was basically soloing them as the rest of us died over and over.

yeah but then tell him to go fight level 42 or eve level 30 mobs and he'd get owned. It makes you the best at your rank, but it wont make you be able to take mobs anywhere near close to your level.
By AreeyaJaidee 2010-10-14 14:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Asura.Andevom said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Our first player dinged level 50 on ffxivpro.com last night. Took just under 3 weeks.
So people will complain that Abyssea is broken and causes players to be noobish due to the ease of gaining levels...but they're perfectly okay with people being able to get to a Physical Lv. 50 by doing nothing but crafting by themselves? That's...interesting.

Yeah Physical level is easy. Even Gatherers can get alot of physical points rapidly. And they are soloists as well.

Physical only gives you attribute points to distribute.
Even if you distribute all those points. You're rank has a built in cap which keeps the stats under control as you rank up.

So, Physical level is really only a mechanism for regimenting the rate at which you gain points to mod your stats with.

It would be HAX if Rank didn't incur caps though.
By AreeyaJaidee 2010-10-14 14:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
You'd be surprised. A crafter dude in my linkshell who's level 42 was doing leves with me last night. We were both gladiators, me at 18 and him at 14. He was doing much more damage, had an insanely higher accuracy rate, and had 75% more hitpoints. All from having twice the STR/VIT/DEX stats as me. We were doing level 20 leves on 4-5 stars and he was basically soloing them as the rest of us died over and over.

This just means he maxxed out and hit his point cap from leveling physical. It isn't an unfair advatage, because crafting isn't exactly as easy as alot of people are making it sound. Crystals/shards/mats are hard to acquire most times.

You could reach your cap as well from either A) Getting more EXP from grinding mobs or B) leveling a gatherer or crafting job.

Gladiators ESPECIALLY shouldn't worry about this, considering they solo very well in this FF.

My Leatherworker is 24 ATM and it was a pain to get there. I'll take any bonus I can.

Another reason crafters get EXP is, in order to get better success rates, we need to cap out the Element of the cystals/shards we use most. The only way we can get those points is by increasing physical level. Other stats like MIND and such are thought to modify success rates as well.

Alot of people prolly saying Crafting is OP by now.
Well keep in mind, after rank 20 crafts become ridiculously tough. Crafters start to urgently require guild marks in order to purchase guild training items. Problem is alot of crafters are setback because the guild marks are not documented on the leve rewards AND the marks are rewarded randomly.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-10-14 14:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Andevom said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Our first player dinged level 50 on ffxivpro.com last night.

Took just under 3 weeks.

So people will complain that Abyssea is broken and causes players to be noobish due to the ease of gaining levels...but they're perfectly okay with people being able to get to a Physical Lv. 50 by doing nothing but crafting by themselves?

That's...interesting.

People are morons, they will always find something to whine about.

"WAAAH EXPING IS TOO TEDIOUS AND HARD"

Abyssea

"WAAAH EXP IS TOO EASY, PEOPLE ARE LEVEl 85 AND GIMP"

The reason no one mentioned crafting to level 50 in FFXIV is because FFXIV is an awful game so the only people playing it are Hardcore Fanboys and they wouldn't complain if the Disc popped out, grew legs, and kicked them in the balls every ~30minutes, They'd probably just thank Square Enix for giving them Testicular Torsion so they can stay how from work now and get kicked in the junk more.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-10-14 14:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It does seem like this is the "proper" gameplay strategy though.

If it takes only 3 weeks to cap your physical level through crafting, which will then provide you a significant advantage to your combat skills through your entire game career straight up through cap, why wouldn't everyone do that first?

I mean, I've never crafted in any MMO because I think it's tedious and not fun. (Your mileage may obviously vary.) But if the only way for me to be the best at my melee job is to grind out 50 levels through bumping a few crafting skills to rank ~15-20, I'm gunna feel compelled to drop everything and do that before picking up a sword again.

(Edit: totally random aside, but anyone else baffled by why Gladiator, which is called Swordsman in the Japanese version, seems to not have many swords available? It's like 3/4's of the available weapons in the dat files are daggers and spiked wooden paddles.)
By AreeyaJaidee 2010-10-14 16:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if you think about it. Crafting is a necessity in FFXIV. It is SO much easier to be able to repair your own gera rather than pay a NPC 20k to repair a 32 lvl body piece from 20% to 75% Durability.

So you're killing two birds with one stone by leveling a crafting job or two (or more, since all the crafting jobs give their own great abilities @ level 10 which help crafting success greatly).

I think crafting being a necessity is what alot of people will Q Q about.
 Diabolos.Piraal
Server: Diabolos
user: Piraal
By Diabolos.Piraal 2010-10-14 16:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said:
FFXIV is an awful game so the only people playing it are Hardcore Fanboys and they wouldn't complain if the Disc popped out, grew legs, and kicked them in the balls every ~30minutes, They'd probably just thank Square Enix for giving them Testicular Torsion so they can stay how from work now and get kicked in the junk more.

lol
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7