Is FFXIV Really That Disappointing?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is FFXIV Really that Disappointing?
Is FFXIV Really that Disappointing?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Zantok
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Zantok
By Asura.Zantok 2010-10-13 23:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't expect a perfect game when a MMO is released.

But I did expect to have more to say about it than "It's pretty."

[+]
 Diabolos.Chibixzero
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Chibixzero 2010-10-13 23:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I shell out 70+ bucks for the collectors edition and I wish I could have kept my games I traded for it. I honestly though it was going to be awesome and all and contemplated the Idea of starting fresh from all that Drama bots haters and or whatever you want to call them in XI.

My first bad thing was my pc could not play the game I had to set the settings to bare min requirements.

Second I don't like the idea of gear getting used up and having it fix. I mean okay you have lv crab and you can make money to fix others peoples stuff or your own. but that ***is wack. I mean Do you really want to obtain a awesome piece of gear that took you for ever and then have it being wore out and to fix it spend or need some insanely costly or almost impossible to obtain material to fix it.. Not me

to sup it all up I don't like it. I wish I can return it and get my credit back and buy ***COD black ops next month or something, Maybe the game will get better theres still time. But for now I will not pay for another momth. soon as my trial is over I will cancel and hopefully come back to 11.
 Asura.Aldrai
user: Aldrai
By Asura.Aldrai 2010-10-13 23:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
Because programming a MMORPG is cake.
SE has had 8 years of experience plus 4 years of development for 14. Maybe it's silly to expect more than pretty graphics...

That's all that XIII was. A cookie-cutter RPG that looked nice but lacked anything new. Or any challenge really, considering all you had to do was walk in a straight line to the next area. Plus that gameplay to cutscene ratio of 1:2 wasn't all that great unless you love to just sit and watch a game. Thanks, but I already played(read: watched) Devil May Cry 4.

Once I saw XIII's gameplay I knew that XIV wasn't going to be anything more than a pretty FFXI at release. All MMOs are buggy as hell regardless of how long they stay in beta. I didn't see the "no content" part.

I think the real bottom line here is that people were looking to get a great game out of a new game. Or a relief from FFXI. They found something that they expected a lot more out of and now they're mad. I say they should have looked to recent history (Star Ocean 4, Last Revenant, Infinite Undiscovery and FF XII, XIII) to see what FFXIV would be.

If you don't like it, don't play it.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-10-13 23:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aldrai said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
SE has had 8 years of experience plus 4 years of development for 14. Maybe it's silly to expect more than pretty graphics...

That's all that XIII was. A cookie-cutter RPG that looked nice but lacked anything new. Or any challenge really, considering all you had to do was walk in a straight line to the next area. Plus that gameplay to cutscene ratio of 1:2 wasn't all that great unless you love to just sit and watch a game. Thanks, but I already played(read: watched) Devil May Cry 4.

Once I saw XIII's gameplay I knew that XIV wasn't going to be anything more than a pretty FFXI at release. All MMOs are buggy as hell regardless of how long they stay in beta. I didn't see the "no content" part.

I think the real bottom line here is that people were looking to get a great game out of a new game. Or a relief from FFXI. They found something that they expected a lot more out of and now they're mad. I say they should have looked to recent history (Star Ocean 4, Last Revenant, Infinite Undiscovery and FF XII, XIII) to see what FFXIV would be.

Is it so wrong to expect a decent game for 70 dollars? Is it so wrong to expect a game that was developed (supposedly) for 4 years to be good?
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2010-10-13 23:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Rinomaru said:

You can't copy and paste the making of 11 to 14. the games are nothing alike, not one bit....
 Asura.Zantok
By Asura.Zantok 2010-10-13 23:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
You can't copy and paste the making of 11 to 14. the games are nothing alike, not one bit....

They sure arn't.

One's awesome,

one sucks.

<3
 Diabolos.Piraal
Server: Diabolos
user: Piraal
By Diabolos.Piraal 2010-10-13 23:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinomaru said:

But apparently they can copy and past everything else in the game over, and over, just fine.
photobucket
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-10-14 00:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Rinomaru said:

The games themselves aren't the same but it goes much deeper than that. Things like the UI, game economy, content and such. They didn't copy and paste it but they should of taken basic elements from XI and made some alterations and added them in XIV.
 Asura.Aldrai
user: Aldrai
By Asura.Aldrai 2010-10-14 00:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
Asura.Aldrai said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Rinomaru said:

Is it so wrong to expect a decent game for 70 dollars? Is it so wrong to expect a game that was developed (supposedly) for 4 years to be good?

Yes! Absolutely! You're buying a SquareEnix RPG!
edit: And it's NEW!
 Asura.Zantok
By Asura.Zantok 2010-10-14 00:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aldrai said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Asura.Aldrai said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
That's all that XIII was. A cookie-cutter RPG that looked nice but lacked anything new. Or any challenge really, considering all you had to do was walk in a straight line to the next area. Plus that gameplay to cutscene ratio of 1:2 wasn't all that great unless you love to just sit and watch a game. Thanks, but I already played(read: watched) Devil May Cry 4. Once I saw XIII's gameplay I knew that XIV wasn't going to be anything more than a pretty FFXI at release. All MMOs are buggy as hell regardless of how long they stay in beta. I didn't see the "no content" part. I think the real bottom line here is that people were looking to get a great game out of a new game. Or a relief from FFXI. They found something that they expected a lot more out of and now they're mad. I say they should have looked to recent history (Star Ocean 4, Last Revenant, Infinite Undiscovery and FF XII, XIII) to see what FFXIV would be. If you don't like it, don't play it.

YOU'RE POSTING ON A FUKING FORUM FOR A SQUARE EN.....

Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-10-14 00:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zantok said:
Asura.Aldrai said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Asura.Aldrai said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
That's all that XIII was. A cookie-cutter RPG that looked nice but lacked anything new. Or any challenge really, considering all you had to do was walk in a straight line to the next area. Plus that gameplay to cutscene ratio of 1:2 wasn't all that great unless you love to just sit and watch a game. Thanks, but I already played(read: watched) Devil May Cry 4. Once I saw XIII's gameplay I knew that XIV wasn't going to be anything more than a pretty FFXI at release. All MMOs are buggy as hell regardless of how long they stay in beta. I didn't see the "no content" part. I think the real bottom line here is that people were looking to get a great game out of a new game. Or a relief from FFXI. They found something that they expected a lot more out of and now they're mad. I say they should have looked to recent history (Star Ocean 4, Last Revenant, Infinite Undiscovery and FF XII, XIII) to see what FFXIV would be. If you don't like it, don't play it.

YOU'RE POSTING ON A FUKING FORUM FOR A SQUARE EN.....

Eh people can have their own opinions. He's not really wrong about SE but it's understandable for people to be upset when they put as much work as they claim into the game and release it in such a disappointing state.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-10-14 07:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I played FFXIV, and my dog started spinning his head 360 degrees. Then he started to projectile vomit everywhere!

FFXIV KILLED MY DOG!!!
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-14 07:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still enjoying it. Haters gonna hate apparently.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-10-14 07:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that bad just needs a bit more tweeking imo
By Zekko 2010-10-14 07:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess you enjoy mediocre games then ;)
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-14 08:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:

I enjoy all types of games, you hipster fagbot.
[+]
By AreeyaJaidee 2010-10-14 08:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been playing FFXIV for awhile now.

On Lindblum server we have already lost half the server population in the span of a week. Which is nice because we were having severe lag issues when our population was around 2800+ users logged in at any given time (about 250~400 max in any city).

FFXIV currently suffers from the same issues that FFXI had when it first started. The main ones are:

-limited transportation (ONLY option is Aetheryte Warping ATM. It costs a max of 6 Anima points to warp. Anima regens 1 point every 3 hours when logged-in, and 1 point every 6(?) hours when logged-out)

-no mail system (yeah you have to run for 10~30 minutes to every town JUST to trade items to a friend).

-Party EXP/Skill points are not properly distributed.

-The Dev team keeps adding/subtracting recipes from the crafting system.

-The crafting system requires alot of special guild training which is near impossible to get before the point where it is no longer needed.

-When crafting you randomly get a annoying bug where you finish the synthesis 100% but have 0 Durability thus causing the crafted item to fail and break.

All-in-all the hardcore players are waiting it out for a few months, since most of us were there for FFXI release and we know it takes Square awhile to finalize/tweak the servers code/operation.

Best case scenario: The game gets fixed. Those who stayed are well ahead in Physical/Melee/Crafting levels. We are hoping the game gets fixed soon because the content and overall play is awesome. The scenery is breathtaking, the mobs look wicked cool, the battle is AWESOME and diverse, and the crafting is so detailed its wicked fun.

Worst case scenario: The game bombs or takes longer than a few months to patch/fix. Everyone leaves and SE cries themself to sleep over their horribly failed attempt at what should have been a masterpiece.

TL;DR: Despite the fact that the game has alot of easily fixable flaws post release, it DOES have a dedicated userbase waiting out the storm. We love the game and all its complexities. The battle/craft system is far superior to FFXI in every way possible and them some.

K'thanx Bye :)
[+]
 Bismarck.Rellz
Server: Bismarck
user: Relleum
By Bismarck.Rellz 2010-10-14 08:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

AreeyaJaidee said:
I have been playing FFXIV for awhile now.

On Lindblum server we have already lost half the server population in the span of a week. Which is nice because we were having severe lag issues when our population was around 2800+ users logged in at any given time (about 250~400 max in any city).

FFXIV currently suffers from the same issues that FFXI had when it first started. The main ones are:

-limited transportation (ONLY option is Aetheryte Warping ATM. It costs a max of 6 Anima points to warp. Anima regens 1 point every 3 hours when logged-in, and 1 point every 6(?) hours when logged-out)

-no mail system (yeah you have to run for 10~30 minutes to every town JUST to trade items to a friend).

-Party EXP/Skill points are not properly distributed.

-The Dev team keeps adding/subtracting recipes from the crafting system.

-The crafting system requires alot of special guild training which is near impossible to get before the point where it is no longer needed.

-When crafting you randomly get a annoying bug where you finish the synthesis 100% but have 0 Durability thus causing the crafted item to fail and break.

All-in-all the hardcore players are waiting it out for a few months, since most of us were there for FFXI release and we know it takes Square awhile to finalize/tweak the servers code/operation.

Best case scenario: The game gets fixed. Those who stayed are well ahead in Physical/Melee/Crafting levels. We are hoping the game gets fixed soon because the content and overall play is awesome. The scenery is breathtaking, the mobs look wicked cool, the battle is AWESOME and diverse, and the crafting is so detailed its wicked fun.

Worst case scenario: The game bombs or takes longer than a few months to patch/fix. Everyone leaves and SE cries themself to sleep over their horribly failed attempt at what should have been a masterpiece.

TL;DR: Despite the fact that the game has alot of easily fixable flaws post release, it DOES have a dedicated userbase waiting out the storm. We love the game and all its complexities. The battle/craft system is far superior to FFXI in every way possible and them some.

K'thanx Bye :)
well said
By Sylph.Flyinghippress 2010-10-14 08:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah Rellz pretty much summed it up. After playing CB and OB I decided to hold off on buying the game until next year. I figure after PS3 release they will have fixed a lot of the issues - similar to XI and when it was released on PC.
By Zekko 2010-10-14 08:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Zekko said:

I enjoy all types of games, you hipster fagbot.

Ahaha
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-10-14 08:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Piraal said:
I would actually call XI a success story, 8 years running, and still going pretty strong, sure they have merged some servers, but look at some of the more recent MMO efforts that have come in the last few years... AION is a great example..... it really did have great potential, and it may have even been prettier then XIV, had a pretty strong launch, but it's biggest down fall as it's lack of content, had like 20 NA servers strong at it's high, but they didn't release content for it in time, and now it's down to 6 NA servers, they have released content for it, but the damage has been done, the people that were a fan of the game at release moved on once they got to max lvl, and found out they have nothing to do, and then everyone told there friends "yeah it's ok, but it has no content".

This has happened to more then just Aion, it happens almost everytime an MMO is released, for online games word of mouth, or type I guess you could say is probably the best marketing the game could get, but it can also hurt the game, which is why it's so mind boggling why they would release the game in such on unfinished state, b/c SE really should know better.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong. Final Fantasy XI is still my favourite MMORPG on the market, and one of my favourite games overall. I would almost consider myself a fanatic of the game considering how much I've dedicated to it.

In fact, as soon as Tanaka left to full-time direct for XIV, XI suddenly became a really good game again. I would argue Abyssea was the best thing to happen to our game in the last 5 years.

The reason why I said what I did was because even XI could have been a much better game. There are two ends to the spectrum when it comes to developers, and I could argue that Square-Enix operates on one end of the spectrum while Blizzard operates on the other end. Square-Enix is on the end where they won't listen to any of their fans at all whatsoever. They do their own thing and let us figure everything out over time. Even if what they do is the smartest thing ever, we won't know until several months later after we've tested everything. Blizzard on the other hand listens to their fans' every whim. Someone says "Paladin is underpowered" BAM suddenly Paladins get supermegaultra buffed in their next patch.

I think the ideal company is Valve, honestly. I'm not a fanatic by any means, only ever having played the games from the Orange Box, but I appreciate how they operate. They seem to have constant communication with their fanbase, take their time making games (too much time sometimes) rather than rushing them out for a quick buck, and take criticism from their fans into consideration whenever they make new things. It just works.

Square-Enix's constant neglect and robotic responses to players ("things are working as intended", "you will have to see for yourself", "we can't tell you that") is what prevents their games from being as good as they could be. Final Fantasy XIV may have a lot of potential, but my belief is that the potential will never be reached simply because of their neglect.
 Alexander.Hasiano
Server: Alexander
user: Hasiano
By Alexander.Hasiano 2010-10-14 08:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i bought FFXIV, played it for a bit to explore and level a bit, then lost interest totally, i still play FFXI alot, plus i'm also on Star Trek Online. That game is improving alot. I am on STO more then FFXI nowadays, but i logon for dynamis/einherjar and to see whats happening in my ls. But i did get bored with FFXIV quickly, i've deactivated my account for now, i'll go back to it after christmas/new years to see if its any better.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-14 08:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jessie said:
Diabolos.Piraal said:
I would actually call XI a success story, 8 years running, and still going pretty strong, sure they have merged some servers, but look at some of the more recent MMO efforts that have come in the last few years... AION is a great example..... it really did have great potential, and it may have even been prettier then XIV, had a pretty strong launch, but it's biggest down fall as it's lack of content, had like 20 NA servers strong at it's high, but they didn't release content for it in time, and now it's down to 6 NA servers, they have released content for it, but the damage has been done, the people that were a fan of the game at release moved on once they got to max lvl, and found out they have nothing to do, and then everyone told there friends "yeah it's ok, but it has no content".

This has happened to more then just Aion, it happens almost everytime an MMO is released, for online games word of mouth, or type I guess you could say is probably the best marketing the game could get, but it can also hurt the game, which is why it's so mind boggling why they would release the game in such on unfinished state, b/c SE really should know better.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong. Final Fantasy XI is still my favourite MMORPG on the market, and one of my favourite games overall. I would almost consider myself a fanatic of the game considering how much I've dedicated to it.

In fact, as soon as Tanaka left to full-time direct for XIV, XI suddenly became a really good game again. I would argue Abyssea was the best thing to happen to our game in the last 5 years.

The reason why I said what I did was because even XI could have been a much better game. There are two ends to the spectrum when it comes to developers, and I could argue that Square-Enix operates on one end of the spectrum while Blizzard operates on the other end. Square-Enix is on the end where they won't listen to any of their fans at all whatsoever. They do their own thing and let us figure everything out over time. Even if what they do is the smartest thing ever, we won't know until several months later after we've tested everything. Blizzard on the other hand listens to their fans' every whim. Someone says "Paladin is underpowered" BAM suddenly Paladins get supermegaultra buffed in their next patch.

I think the ideal company is Valve, honestly. I'm not a fanatic by any means, only ever having played the games from the Orange Box, but I appreciate how they operate. They seem to have constant communication with their fanbase, take their time making games (too much time sometimes) rather than rushing them out for a quick buck, and take criticism from their fans into consideration whenever they make new things. It just works.

Square-Enix's constant neglect and robotic responses to players ("things are working as intended", "you will have to see for yourself", "we can't tell you that") is what prevents their games from being as good as they could be. Final Fantasy XIV may have a lot of potential, but my belief is that the potential will never be reached simply because of their neglect.

Bolded for truth! Valve is the best gaming company out there at the moment in my opinion. Just look at games like TF2 and how much they've been supported.
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2010-10-14 09:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah well, seems SE released this one waaaay too soon. But I can see why. They probably wanted direct feedback asap because the PS3 version is the REAL release of FFXIV.

Seriously however, They could have left this one in the oven and destroyed worlds in March from what I'm reading. By comparison XI's release wasn't this bad at all, just a tedious, but fun experience. AT any rate, First Impressions are damn near everything in life, and SE blew it hardcore.

I do however feel most of you never look into the future however -- this game will probably overtake XI finally by next year July/August (Ironically around the same time FFXI will be broken and lvl 99 cap).

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-10-14 12:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zantok said:
I don't expect a perfect game when a MMO is released. But I did expect to have more to say about it than "It's pretty."

As Zantok says, you cannot judge an MMO on release. Despite what I said about FF14 sucking from the beta, it is a newly released MMORPG, and the finishing touches for release were a rush job to have it ready on time. Every MMORPG develops in time, look at Runescape when it was first released what was it about 10 years ago? If you were to compare it to the current version you would not even recognise them as being the same game.

For an example with a bit more relevance, look at FFXI, the game now is completely different than it was back in the days when it was actually hard (no level sync, no augments, no FOV, no exp rings etc etc). Nowadays imo it is so easy it's a totally different game as a result.

Give it until the first expansion comes around then we can make an informed judgement on whether it is a good game or not, by then all the major issues will have been ironed out (fingers crossed), the game would have to be complete to the developers liking before an expansion comes along.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-14 12:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

My informed judgment is that SE wanted to make some bank during the Christmas season and released it at that date for that specific reason.
sept-dec=pretty big months for video game releases.
so them halfassing it and releasing it early isn't unheard of...does it mean they will fix it? maybe...who knows, all i know is that they released premature product in regards to todays standards.
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2010-10-14 12:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably also did it to compete with WoW releasing their new expansion 'Cataclysm', though of course I still don't see why SE is still trying to compete with WoW in that aspect
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
Server: Fenrir
user: Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2010-10-14 13:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
Probably also did it to compete with WoW releasing their new expansion 'Cataclysm', though of course I still don't see why SE is still trying to compete with WoW in that aspect
becuase in the last few years, SE has become kinda HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7