Is FFXIV Really That Disappointing?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is FFXIV Really that Disappointing?
Is FFXIV Really that Disappointing?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Matzilla
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-10-13 12:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I bought 14 like a week and a half ago :/ played it for 20 minutes and havent messed with it since.. just like playing the beta but paying for it

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-13 12:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Alexander.Gib said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Quote:
FF11 came out on the PC first too
Actually it was released first on PS2 in japan, but yeah lol@ saying 14 was designed for PC.
oh... well /shrug still try playing FF14 without a controller and see how fun it is... about as fun as playing FFXI without a controller.
Well XI is fine without a controller really, the main problem is they didn't make 2 different user interfaces for PC and PS2.

lol, and what's funny is that they'll probably do the same thing with FFXIV.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-13 12:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does everyone *** about abyssea <_> do you enjoy slow exp, low drop rates (on most items), long item queues, small upgrades when you get them, having to drag lots of other people with you anywhere to do anything, the need to throw bodies at stuff, HNM, dynamis...? The list goes on.

I honestly don't understand it.

Abyssea removes the biggest tedious grind in the game (exp), allows all jobs to have fun in exp etc (alliance is much less strict than 6 man merit party jobswise, and doesn't absolutely require 2x BRD or whatever), and introduces a large amount of content all of which does not require many people to do! Now you can go out and play with your friends, without needing to drag 20+ other people around, and get VERY good drops very quickly on the whole.

I dunno about you, but I'd rather use skill and play with my friends for great increases than have to wait in line with 20 other people for my chance at +1 stat.
[+]
 Bahamut.Xxsoraxx
user: Xxsoraxx
By Bahamut.Xxsoraxx 2010-10-13 12:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
XIV is fun, and I'm enjoying playing it. People are under the assumption that the game was going to be fully complete and @ XI's level as soon as it was released.

Wait a few months then give it a go again.

well of course we did i remember seeing an interview with one of creators and he stated how they were going to use their knowledge from xi and all the things that made it great to make xiv an even better game.....this isn't their first mmo they have no excuse for this crap
 Asura.Matzilla
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-10-13 12:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Why does everyone *** about abyssea <_> do you enjoy slow exp, low drop rates (on most items), long item queues, small upgrades when you get them, having to drag lots of other people with you anywhere to do anything, the need to throw bodies at stuff, HNM, dynamis...? The list goes on.

I honestly don't understand it.

Abyssea removes the biggest tedious grind in the game (exp), allows all jobs to have fun in exp etc (alliance is much less strict than 6 man merit party jobswise, and doesn't absolutely require 2x BRD or whatever), and introduces a large amount of content all of which does not require many people to do! Now you can go out and play with your friends, without needing to drag 20+ other people around, and get VERY good drops very quickly on the whole.

I dunno about you, but I'd rather use skill and play with my friends for great increases than have to wait in line with 20 other people for my chance at +1 stat.

You had me until there, ffxi takes no skill
By Tzaellia 2010-10-13 12:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a review to check out:

Your text to link here...
 Alexander.Kewitt
Server: Alexander
user: ginger
By Alexander.Kewitt 2010-10-13 12:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Alexander.Gib said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Quote:
FF11 came out on the PC first too
Actually it was released first on PS2 in japan, but yeah lol@ saying 14 was designed for PC.
oh... well /shrug still try playing FF14 without a controller and see how fun it is... about as fun as playing FFXI without a controller.
Well XI is fine without a controller really, the main problem is they didn't make 2 different user interfaces for PC and PS2.

As far as FFXI goes, I can't play with a control, I switch between chatting with peaple and playing my charater to much to drop the a controller 1-5 times a battle. I find FFXI has a great keyboard lay out and FFXIV is ***.

Lack of common short cuts.
Lack of arrow key camera when menu isn't open.
Lack of common sense.

The only way to look at FFXIV is as an mmo made without any mmo back groud, because from what I can tell they didn't apply anything they learned from 8 years of running FFXI to FFXIV.

My only real hope for FFXIV to last. Now that it's launched that SE opens there ears to the out cry that is the community. The community that wants to beleive in this game but is coming to the quick understanding that a lot of what we want isn't coming anytime soon.
 Bismarck.Kendlar
Server: Bismarck
user: dropy
By Bismarck.Kendlar 2010-10-13 12:31:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Gametrailers review

Gamespot review

Amazon customer reviews

10 reasons to avaoid ffxiv

Bahamut.Xxsoraxx
user: Xxsoraxx
By Bahamut.Xxsoraxx 2010-10-13 12:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

My only real hope for FFXIV to last. Now that it's launched that SE opens there ears to the out cry that is the community. The community that wants to beleive in this game but is coming to the quick understanding that a lot of what we want isn't coming anytime soon.[/quote]

the fact that SE doesn't listen to community is destroying both xi and xiv imo and i think that because the they don't listen to us is all the proof we need to know that there is no hope for xiv
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-10-13 12:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

A game where you need 3 click for a spell and 15mn for empty safe is bound to fail...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-10-13 12:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kendlar said:
very sad.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-10-13 12:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
blah blah blah

say what?
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-10-13 12:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Change. It's not always a great idea.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-13 12:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Eagleeyes said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
blah blah blah

say what?

I agree, Mithra *** is considerably more interesting than my ranting.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-13 12:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Siren.Eagleeyes said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
blah blah blah

say what?

I agree, Mithra *** is considerably more interesting than my ranting.
you guys are like mind readers.
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-10-13 13:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Bismarck.Kendlar said:
very sad.
At least for #3 I'll refer back to the genius that video-reviewed the game at Gamespot. Guy couldn't figure out how to use the map for one. Second, people seem to be so used to being spoon-fed from the get-go that they freak out if something requires them to explore/actually think. In his example, when you start in the city, you're in an instance. Its only by EXPLORING and TALKING to people...god forbid anyone do that in an MMO, that you find out what exactly is going on and where to go. So at least in that regard its a moot point to make in reference to a reason to avoid the game. FFXI/XIV seem to be the only games I have played recently that encourage people to talk to NPCs to gather info/intel and explore heavily. Rest of 'em seem to just tell you how to do everything from the start, and personally, wheres the fun in that? :\

Not to mention when in instances, the minimap clearly shows the boundaries from exiting them. If you run out of it and get pissed off wondering why you're not in it anymore...well then you're just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. :\
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2010-10-13 14:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Havent played 14 at all yet but was going to get it soon. Still am, howver i have such low expectations now.. im expecting to give up after an hour or so. I really wanted it to be good too... just gotta hope it gets better and people come back i guess.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-10-13 14:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the disappointment is because XIV release seems to have made zero substantial improvements from XI release. Some people use this to defend the game, saying "XI had all the same problems too, so it's no big deal."

But I think these people are missing the point. The disappointment comes from knowing that after 8 years of development on XI, they don't seem to have carried any of that learning over to XIV. They are repeating a lot of their mistakes and blunders, and in many cases are actually worse. (XI at least had decent UI and chat on launch, for example.)

A lot of people don't want to wait X years for the game to become decent like XI did. And a lot of people are worried because XI had 2.5 years to develop in a vacuum before it got its first major competitor, riding on the patience of its users and lack of better alternatives, but XIV doesn't have that luxury.

XIV was much more expensive to make than XI, and the market is a lot more crowded. XIV can't just be "as good" as XI -- it needs to be an order of magnitude more successful to survive. "As good" (or "as bad" as the case may be) isn't going to cut it anymore, and people defending the game that way are damning it with faint praise.
[+]
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-10-13 14:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The disappointment comes from knowing that after 8 years of development on XI, they don't seem to have carried any of that learning over to XIV.
Dear God, yes. They haven't learned a damn thing and thats my biggest disapointment with it. If it took them 7 years to flesh out XI to the point where it was enjoyable again, I fear what will happen to XIV. Since SE seems to like having history repeat itself, I fear the worst.

I really do enjoy playing, but there is just way too much that needs fixed to justify going back and taking it seriously. For now most of what I'm doing is crafting.
By Crighton 2010-10-13 14:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I went from FFXI to LOTRO^^
By Pawnskipper 2010-10-13 14:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

JOHN MATRIX!!!
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-13 15:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the most fun part of FFXIV.. are all the hilarious reviews about how much it sucks. I can't say I've enjoyed watching reviews since that Australian dude did game reviews.
By Tesla 2010-10-13 15:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
XIV was built for PC

Whhhat? Is that why the F1-6 F8 function keys aren't mapped. Is that why we can't drag and drop in any aspect of the game such as hotbars and inventory? Is that why the arrow keys no longer move the camera around and we can't change it? Is that why the slow pace of moving around the menus in general something only acceptable by console players? Is that why they STILL just HATE (or incompetance) adding alt-tab support for fullscreen? *** 2010... and a second go around and they didnt LISTEN to anyone.

One reason why this game is a failure is because they keep trying to support consoles. Even the drawbacks XI had traced back to their support of PS2 users. Did you like going to the moghouse and clicking a hundred times to move gear from one job to replace it with gear of another? So many things could of been better. Adding this support effects the graphics, ui, and even the speed at which updates are pushed out. Successful MMORPGs are for PCs.
 Ifrit.Rikiyame
user: Rikiyame
By Ifrit.Rikiyame 2010-10-13 15:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Metascore of 56
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-10-13 15:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Rikiyame said:
Man, check out the user survey at the end of that last article:

"They should recall this game" : 1,051 votes
"It's pretty bad" : 300 votes
"It's pretty good" : 202 votes
"It's perfect" : 118 votes

That's pretty brutal for what is expected to be an audience biased in SquareEnix's favor.
By Artemicion 2010-10-13 15:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm worried due to SE's lack of attentive focus on their playerbase.
They more often than not tend to ignore criticism and advice and go their own direction and hope the majority will be curious or loyal enough to go with it; but after this blunder, it'll be a miracle if they have any followers left within the very narrow time margin they have to "fix" this game.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-13 15:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Best thing they could do is to pull a Blizzard and give people free playing, essentially extending the Beta until they have it working properly. But I doubt they'll do it. They'll just enjoy the money that they make now and watch potential subscriptions fly out the window, destroying their "Final Fantasy" name.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-10-13 15:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV MADE MY KIDS GO INSANE AND THEY SHOT UP AN ENTIRE SCHOOL (those were special-needs kids so I guess they saved us tax payers some money)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7