Is FFXIV Really That Disappointing?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is FFXIV Really that Disappointing?
Is FFXIV Really that Disappointing?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Valefor.Leith
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Leith
By Valefor.Leith 2010-10-13 15:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I said to anyone and everyone back in December that I thought FFXIV would crash and burn, hehe gotta love being right.
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-10-13 15:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always found jumping into any new MMO is similar to those buying the initial release for any new kind of software or hardware.

It's always gonna be exciting but be host to a laundry list of problems that won't be worked out or fixed til much much later with patches/secondary releases.

What XIV needs right now more than anything is time.
And by time I mean SE needs to get to it ASAP.
[+]
 Asura.Hoshiku
Server: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2010-10-13 16:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess you have to ask yourself is it worth it to play a game that has a high probability of being abandoned in the next 12 months. XIV isn't terrible at the moment but it's certainly not good. I think at the end of my free month I'm going to let my account lapse and wait for the ps3 launch to see if things get better.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-10-13 16:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I've always found jumping into any new MMO is similar to those buying the initial release for any new kind of software or hardware.

It's always gonna be exciting but be host to a laundry list of problems that won't be worked out or fixed til much much later with patches/secondary releases.

What XIV needs right now more than anything is time.
And by time I mean SE needs to get to it ASAP.

Wait windower ff14, will be faster !
Watch ff11 : windower make things, Se make them 2 years later (and worst)...
 Leviathan.Anbu
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-10-13 16:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I just started 14 I'm not seeing the terrible lag people are talking about and i'm playing max settings...so I assume the terrible lag is from weaker pc's...to be honest its way better than 11 the new battle system alone is hott imo.. I do agree it would of been nicer for more content gear NM's ect...but no one is even lv 50 yet...I'll stay until ps3 release to see the finished product but I think they gave us plenty of stuff to do until then. This is a more of a solo friendly game and crafts are jobs now. I think they intended people to lv a few craft jobs along with magic and melee jobs to really become self sufficient...so by the time I lv about 3 crafts to 50 and about another 3 Melee/magic jobs to 50 the ps3 release will be out...only real problem I see atm is the bazzar/search. I think no AH is good but there needs to be a better way to find items to buy then there currently is....all and all its a decent game so far and is way better than 11 even in its unfinished form lol

Edit: for those saying its going to die soon I really find that hard to believe when population on all the servers are increasing everyday in spike of all the bad pub 14 is getting.
[+]
By Tesla 2010-10-13 16:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Anbu said:
I just started 14 I'm not seeing the terrible lag people are talking about and i'm playing max settings...so I assume the terrible lag is from weaker pc's...

The "lag" people complain about is in the UI and has nothing to do with system specs. If you dont notice it either you're very patient or extremely biased.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-10-13 16:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rellz said:
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
LOLSE.

Judging by the time I picked up XI, I will have to wait until 2014 for XIV to be a great game :P
even if XIV isnt as good as XI its still something different rather then spamming abyssea. FFXIV is playable/enjoyable just not as much as FFXI when i played. but yeah.. i feel there going to take ahwile to make the basic fixes to the game >.>

Yes, This is from the first page, but WHO CARES.

If SE has became boring cause of Abyssea spam why don't you simply pick up a nice cheap Offline game that doesn't have a monthly fee attached to it?

Maybe an offline RPG? "Tales of" Games?

Don't always have to jump headfirst into the next MMO! needs a cooldown time.
 Leviathan.Anbu
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-10-13 16:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Tesla said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:
I just started 14 I'm not seeing the terrible lag people are talking about and i'm playing max settings...so I assume the terrible lag is from weaker pc's...

The "lag" people complain about is in the UI and has nothing to do with system specs. If you dont notice it either you're very patient or extremely biased.

idk then the only lag i see is with targeting I see a slight delay maybe half of second idk I hear people saying it takes a while for the menu's to pop up and close but this is not the case when i play again maybe its slightly delayed but its not noticeable...again idk but I will tell you I haven't gotten killed yet due to lag vs getting my *** handed to me in campaign the other night due to lag...so if people can put up with ffxi lag this should not be an issue lol its not nearly as bad as 11's again this is all imo...is the UI being the reason for that a fact or is it still speculation?
By Tesla 2010-10-13 16:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Valefor.Leith said:
I said to anyone and everyone back in December that I thought FFXIV would crash and burn, hehe gotta love being right.
It hasn't crashed and burned. Awful reviews don't necessarily equal horribly low subscription numbers.

For "Final Fantasy" sure, they are riding a popular brand. The franchise that probably keeps them afloat nowadays. The only thing they got right was the graphics. This game by any other name would already be a memory.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-13 16:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Tesla said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:

idk then the only lag i see is with targeting I see a slight delay maybe half of second idk I hear people saying it takes a while for the menu's to pop up and close but this is not the case when i play again maybe its slightly delayed but its not noticeable...again idk but I will tell you I haven't gotten killed yet due to lag vs getting my *** handed to me in campaign the other night due to lag...so if people can put up with ffxi lag its not nearly as bad as 11's again this is all imo...is the UI being the reason for that a fact or is it still speculation?
i bet you get stoned as hell before playing and don't notice the lag.
By Tesla 2010-10-13 16:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It does a handshake with the servers in japan before any function is performed on your side. (the most brief sentence I want to use) Either you have a 20ms ping to the servers or... stoned like the other guy said.

open equipment -> wait... wait... click on body piece -> wait... wait... click on synthesize-> wait... wait... (kneel down, wow thanks for that animation)

This is a step backwards in online games where they start extrapolating data everywhere they can to make the experience quick and responsive.
 Diabolos.Piraal
Server: Diabolos
user: Piraal
By Diabolos.Piraal 2010-10-13 16:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'v played alot of MMO's at launch, and i'v always been disappointed, they are always released with alot of bugs, and the servers can never handle the traffic, they always lack content, and even though they have done "alpha",& "beta" tests, if your playing the game for the first 6 months then you are pretty much still testing it, and your paying SE/whoever to test the game for them. They are never ready for release, and although you have to expect some hiccup's at the launch of a new MMO, lack of content is not excusable for a game you spend 50 bucks on, and then pay monthly on top of that.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-10-13 16:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

the media/people needs to stop bashing the game so hard, all those stuff will get fixed, they act like it's not going to be, the game it's just not finished (that's quite obvious) because no AH,chocobo, death zones, gamespot was really harsh and non-professional with that terrible review , you just can't review an mmo that got released 2 weeks ago,
gaming sites act like they don't want people to checkout the game by themself
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-13 16:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Piraal said:
I'v played alot of MMO's at launch, and i'v always been disappointed, they are always released with alot of bugs, and the servers can never handle the traffic, they always lack content, and even though they have done "alpha",& "beta" tests, if your playing the game for the first 6 months then you are pretty much still testing it, and your paying SE/whoever to test the game for them. They are never ready for release, and although you have to expect some hiccup's at the launch of a new MMO, lack of content is not excusable for a game you spend 50 bucks on, and then pay monthly on top of that.
they just want the $ pretty much.

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
the media/people needs to stop bashing the game so hard, all those stuff will get fixed, they act like it's not going to be, the game it's just not finished (that's quite obvious) because no AH,chocobo, death zones, gamespot was really harsh and non-professional with that terrible review , you just can't review an mmo that got released 2 weeks ago,
lolfanboy logic.
[+]
By Tesla 2010-10-13 16:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

To add to my point, the UI lag isn't really the only thing. The UI is also very unintuitive and archaic in design. We all know MMORPGs have timesinks and accept that, but it shouldn't come from waiting on the menus or spending time and getting lost in them. Successful MMOs tend to add to the timesink with new content and large expansions at a time, not frustration.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Tesla 2010-10-13 16:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
the media/people needs to stop bashing the game so hard, all those stuff will get fixed, they act like it's not going to be, the game it's just not finished (that's quite obvious) because no AH,chocobo, death zones, gamespot was really harsh and non-professional with that terrible review , you just can't review an mmo that got released 2 weeks ago, gaming sites act like they don't want people to checkout the game by themself

Sure you can, they review all MMOs the same way, why should ffxiv get a pass because they say stuff will get fixed in the future, it doesn't matter. This point has also been beaten to death, sure you can't judge an MMO on the first 20 hours, but if you look at them all equally, it still comes out worse than failed mmo launches.
By Tesla 2010-10-13 16:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Tesla said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
Valefor.Leith said:
It hasn't crashed and burned. Awful reviews don't necessarily equal horribly low subscription numbers.
For "Final Fantasy" sure, they are riding a popular brand. The franchise that probably keeps them afloat nowadays. The only thing they got right was the graphics. This game by any other name would already be a memory.
You're absolutely right. I'm not necessarily defending the game, just deflating.

Oh I know, I'm just throwing the point out there. People from XI will tend to look at things through SquareEnix goggles, as we've gotten used to their half-baked updates just to slowly fix them as we age into our seventys and somehow justify it later or not understand why people think that's terrible.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-10-13 17:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/gamerxrevival2/640269db.jpg

edit: big picture
By Tesla 2010-10-13 17:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Tidusblitz said:

The blue circles look like a duck head.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-10-13 17:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

copy paste ftmfw?
By Tesla 2010-10-13 17:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I have to admit it's lame but I dont have much of a problem with it compared to other aspects of the game.
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-10-13 17:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

deadplayer said:
Is FFXIV really that disappointing? Can someone has played the game honestly tell me why? I'm just about to try the game.
It was just poorly designed. Square-Enix has two things going for them: they are a big company with a lot of money, and they have had experience in creating an MMORPG in the past.

You would think that these two things combined would allow them to quite easily make an MMORPG that was out of this world, but it really doesn't even reach "average" status among games. It adds absolutely nothing to the genre, and it has so many major flaws, minor flaws, and poor design choices that it really only appeals to an extremely slim group of people.

I didn't enjoy it because nothing worked for me. The controls sucked, the gameplay sucked, the UI sucked, the missions and quests sucked, and honestly I'd even go as far as to say I didn't like the graphics nor the music of the game.

There are many things that took Square-Enix years to fix in Final Fantasy XI, and even though those problems were eventually fixed in XI, now Final Fantasy XIV has those exact same problems. In spite of having FFXI and literally hundreds of other MMORPG's to use as references for good ideas, they just didn't use any of them. And as I said above, they didn't bring anything new to the table either.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-10-13 17:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

BUT BUT BUT- IT'S PURDY!

I was excited about this when Alpha was out but now I may not even try it :/
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-10-13 17:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Why does everyone *** about abyssea <_> do you enjoy slow exp, low drop rates (on most items), long item queues, small upgrades when you get them, having to drag lots of other people with you anywhere to do anything, the need to throw bodies at stuff, HNM, dynamis...? The list goes on.

I honestly don't understand it.

Abyssea removes the biggest tedious grind in the game (exp), allows all jobs to have fun in exp etc (alliance is much less strict than 6 man merit party jobswise, and doesn't absolutely require 2x BRD or whatever), and introduces a large amount of content all of which does not require many people to do! Now you can go out and play with your friends, without needing to drag 20+ other people around, and get VERY good drops very quickly on the whole.

I dunno about you, but I'd rather use skill and play with my friends for great increases than have to wait in line with 20 other people for my chance at +1 stat.
Quoted for truth. No more shells with big lines to wait in line for substantial upgrades, more emphasis of quality over quantity, and most of all, more time for fun.

But alas, haters gonna hate. I feel sorry for them.
[+]
Server: Siren
user: beesknees
By Siren.Screamingbabies 2010-10-13 18:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:

Dang, here I was thinking people should get a decent game at launch for the amount of money they shell out. I guess I was wrong. Sigh, guess everyone needs to just bend back over and let SE continue their business.
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-10-13 18:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

People defending the game really need to reread the statements made by Jaerik and others... This would all be expected, blow over and forgotten from a company releasing it's first MMO. However with 8 years+ under their belts and other games/companies out there to learn from, SE puts out FFXIV in the condition it's currently in. There's absolutely no excuse for it. SE has a very bad habit of not listening to feedback and fixing problems in a timely manner. Don't be surprised when a lot of the issues being addressed by players aren't fixed for 6+ months. I feel sorry for the rest of the SE employees that had nothing to do with this game. Their about to get shafted most likely when this game flops and the company folds.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-10-13 18:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy crap, I had never seen it actually counted up like that before.

Is that the same small pond copied 12 times in the same map? Good lord.

That map did not take them 5 years to make via copy-paste. What were they working on this whole time?
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-10-13 18:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Holy crap, I had never seen it actually counted up like that before.

Is that the same small pond copied 12 times in the same map? Good lord.

That map did not take them 5 years to make via copy-paste. What were they working on this whole time?
The graphics. As long as it looks pretty, it'll earn them money.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7