Why Do You Think Blue Mage SHOULD Be Nerfed?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Why do you think Blue Mage SHOULD be nerfed?
Why do you think Blue Mage SHOULD be nerfed?
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11
 Valefor.Kiaru
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Shiyo
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-19 14:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
If it was so bad it'd be reflected, but it isn't so you're just conjuring this yourself.

The thing is the game is pretty well balanced right now, everyone is useful if they aren't monk.

BLU isn't single handedly ruining the entire game(I'd say geo is, lol, buff bard and rdm please) but it's a problem that shouldn't be ignored.

The game has never and will never be so difficult that you NEED the best possible party make up to kill anything, but balance shouldn't be neglected.
By Ulthakptah 2016-10-19 14:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Kiaru said: »
Sylph.Oraen said: »
I don't need to play the game to read skill descriptions of a game I fully understand to realize "oh wow, this is completely broken and unhealthy for the game!"

But yes, BLU's sacrifice no offense for their insane defense while also being able to solo cap haste. It's not balanced.

The issue is that you do not fully understand the game. Since returning, you have posed a large amount of questions about multiple variety of things within the game. And that's great to attempt to get caught back up. But you cannot be uninformed on:

- The AGI changes
- Cost and process of AG weapons
- General knowledge on SMN
- General knowledge on COR
- General knowledge on THF

and then claim that you "fully understand" a game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with ignorance and an attempt to rectify that ignorance. There is, however, a lot wrong with blindly denying ignorance and instead claiming omniscience.
It doesn't take rocket surgery to understand why BLU isn't healthy for the game ;/
Self capping haste pushes all other melee DD's out of the party, that isn't good.
I solo cap delay on thf when I do salvage by wearing DW gear, does thf need nerfed? Seriously that has to be the dumbest argument for nerfing blu. They can't even keep the spell up full time. Makes me wish they would have just made it actually OP can gave it the same amount of regain that Shinryu gets.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-19 14:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
eliroo said: »
Also, Erratic Flutter/Mighty Guard still aren't what push BRD out of their spot. GEO is.

Entrust Indi-Haste would just become more prominent if MG was removed from BLU.

I guess? What does that accomplish though? So you change your 3rd (temporary) GEO buff slot into Haste. Okay, great. It's not like the GEO wouldn't be there anyway, and you certainly aren't going to drop the GEO for a BRD because you need more Haste (unless they've got Honor March)... this is also assuming you're bringing a BLU to begin with which, again, is a choice not a commitment, unless you're too afraid to be a leader instead of a follower. At the end of the day it shifts the responsibility onto someone else who already has that responsibility and does nothing to solve the problem that I always see being thrown around: a supposed lack of job diversity which is entirely driven by the playerbase.

I'm not arguing with you. I was agreeing with your statement that MG isn't what pushes BRD out of the party.

I see. Honestly, Honor March is a great step forward for BRD. Need more stuff like that. I don't agree with some of the ideas I've seen like turning Minuet/Madrigal into percentage based bonuses though: Minuet is unique in that it is an addition to your base attack and thus can be modified by percentage bonuses (Fury, Chaos Roll, etc.), and removing that would be a real shame. Instead, I propose the following theoretical adjustments:

-BRD should be able to sing 3 songs by default, up to 4 with Terpander and 5 with 99Daurb.

-Songs should scale better with skill. Etudes, Marches, Minuets, etc. cap pretty low and there's no reason for that.

-Songs should be more difficult to dispel (and as an aside, COR rolls should not be dispellable).

Just a start but these things would start to help out.
[+]
 Valefor.Kiaru
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-19 14:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You sacrifice things for capping delay, a BLU doesn't sacrifice anything to cap magic haste.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-19 14:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

COR rolls should not be dispellable
Even just Crooked rolls being immune would be enough for me. Dispel on a crook is just one of those ragequit inducing moments.

edit: or at least have the lowest priority in the dispel sequence..
[+]
 Valefor.Kiaru
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-19 14:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

11's should be immune to dispels only IMO. Would greatly encourage non-muled cors and punish bad ones.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-19 15:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Keeping 11s up is not always the most efficient decision(to go back to something said in a previous thread).
By Ulthakptah 2016-10-19 15:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You sacrifice things for capping delay, a BLU doesn't sacrifice anything to cap magic haste.
Every spell they set is sacrificing a spell slot/points they could use to set something else.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-19 15:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ulthakptah said: »
Every spell they set is sacrificing a spell slot/points they could use to set something else.

not to mention some jobs dont even need magic haste to cap delay reduction. think you already mentioned THF. it's a pretty widespread benefit of dual wield jobs in general
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-10-19 15:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to know how many people are basing their opinions off of solo or group content. I think anyone that does serious end game knows BLU isn't a problem that is always getting applied in these types of threads. The last thread people openly admitted to not doing current end game.

The problem that I tried pointing out before is PUGs. Not BLU. Hence why the fotm job has gone through this since the beginning in FFXI. They hold this illusion that BLU is master race therefore that is what they request. If BLU gets nerfed, they will do it with the next job and threads like this will continue happening. Sadly you can't fix this PUG problem and sadly most of you won't care and continue to argue.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-19 15:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The game offers so many viable options and strats, and yet doing Ambuscade 10 seconds faster induces 8 pages of arguments...
[+]
 Valefor.Kiaru
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-19 15:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The game offers so many viable options and strats, and yet doing Ambuscade 10 seconds faster induces 8 pages of arguments...
So we shouldn't have debates or arguments about effective and most efficient strats? Just not talk at all? Alright!
By Afania 2016-10-19 15:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

2 pages being people not happy with my choice of words =(
 Valefor.Kiaru
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-19 15:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone who +1ed this is a bluemage main
Just take that in for a moment :)

That also isn't what it's about. It's about safety(give up nothing for mg/cocoon/tusk) and not relying on as many party buffs as other DD's(self cap magic haste).
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-10-19 15:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

this entire thread is blu mains unable to see around their blinders

if it's not so great, why do you play it so often

(seriously, it's not ambuscade, it's not haste cap, it's not defense, it's not being arguably the best 'cleave' job, it's the entire package: blu gives up very little to gain an extreme amount, it's tough to objectively quantify but it's blatantly obvious to anyone who looks at it)
[+]
By Calinari 2016-10-19 15:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

(seriously, it's not ambuscade, it's not haste cap, it's not defense, it's not being arguably the best 'cleave' job, it's the entire package: blu gives up very little to gain an extreme amount, it's tough to objectively quantify but it's blatantly obvious to anyone who looks at it)

I *** hate that I agree with thorny. On everything he says about blu. Him being right is enough justification to nuke blu from the entire game in and of itself.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-19 16:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you considered that we play it often because we like the job and have for the last 10 years? No that would be impossible, you can only play a job if it's the flavor of the month. How could I be so blind.
[+]
By Ulthakptah 2016-10-19 16:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't play blu. I think my blu is like level 35 or something. Even if I did play blu it wouldn't invalidate my points.
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-10-19 16:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it hard to agree with Comeatmebro since his perspective on the entire game is vastly different than 99.9% of other players. Multiboxing to that extent involves some next leval scripting which the programmer in me must respect.

I've always wanted to ask, do you write different scripts for different fights, or do cascades of macros and send commands generally cover the bases? Either way, awesome job.
By Crevox 2016-10-19 16:18:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you considered that we play it often because we like the job and have for the last 10 years? No that would be impossible, you can only play a job if it's the flavor of the month. How could I be so blind.

Maybe that is the case for you, but when I started playing and for a long time after, there have not been this many Blue Mages.

When I started in late 2014, and for a while after, everyone was playing Samurai.

Eventually, this shifted over to Ranger.

Eventually, this shifted over to Thief when Rudra's Storm got buffed.

Eventually, this shifted off of Thief when Rudra's got nerfed slightly.

Eventually, this shifted to Beastmaster when their pets started hitting like trucks.

Eventually, this shifted off of Beastmaster when people had to stand close to monsters (oh my god what a nerf job now impossible to play).

Then, everyone started shifting over to Blue Mage, especially with the addition of Alluvion Skirmish... and then Mighty Guard sealed it. This was caused by the addition of Erratic Flutter, the new elemental nukes, desire for Subduction, and the general high power of the job for little investment. Alluvion skirmish gave them high demand due to the ability to melee and nuke very effectively (again, jack of all trades, yet good at everything).

Now, everyone has mythic Samurai katanas sitting in their storage, Annihilators, half completed mythic Thief daggers and relic Thief daggers, etc... but their Blue Mage was 99 at some point so it's "hey man I've always played Blue Mage, don't tell me I'm on bandwagon, it's not OP." I'm not saying this is the case for you, but it is definitely the case for a large number of people.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-10-19 16:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

depends on the fight, i have a pretty wide variety of premade stuff i can usually combine to get the intended results as well as my own personal api(successor to fface, since i discontinued that after seeing how garbage it was)

for harder things i might write a program that only applies to one fight

usually manually play 2-4 characters depending on event, currently working on 'Black and White' master trial and that requires enough attention that i do everything manual except auto ranged(because there's no way i'd be near enough dps if i was manually queueing up every shot)
[+]
 Valefor.Kiaru
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-19 16:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Nearly everyone I run past is either a blu, geo, or THF. Generally a bluemage.

You're FOTM and overpowered. Sorry.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-19 16:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow! It's almost like taking a biased nonrepresentative sample and providing it as evidence means nothing!

You're uninformed and wrong about a lot of things. Sorry.

depends on the fight, i have a pretty wide variety of premade stuff i can usually combine to get the intended results as well as my own personal api(successor to fface, since i discontinued that after seeing how garbage it was)

for harder things i might write a program that only applies to one fight

usually manually play 2-4 characters depending on event, currently working on 'Black and White' master trial and that requires enough attention that i do everything manual except auto ranged(because there's no way i'd be near enough dps if i was manually queueing up every shot)

How many characters have you used maximum at once? Always thought it was 8 but curious if it has been more.

Crevox said: »
Maybe that is the case for you, but when I started playing and for a long time after, there have not been this many Blue Mages.

Well it's a good thing that the question was posed toward people like me because bandwagoners probably aren't even reading this then, isn't it? You don't have to tell me about what a bandwagon is or educate me on when each bandwagon occurred in XI's history. I was there for all of them. But don't anyone dare attempt to say that anyone who plays BLU is a bandwagoner or only plays the job because of its strength when there's those of us who have played and enjoyed it since its inception, which I'll remind you, a majority of the time it was considered an loljob outside of niche situations.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Crevox
Server: Asura
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2016-10-19 16:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it's a good thing that the question was posed toward people like me because bandwagoners probably aren't even reading this then, isn't it?

Tons of people consider themselves "BLU mains" now, including these "bandwagoners", because the job is strong and they are playing it. It's also fun for these people to say they've always mained it when they only picked it back up when it became meta.

So, the question was posed toward a broader audience than you think.

Quote:
But don't anyone dare attempt to say that anyone who plays BLU is a bandwagoner or only plays the job because of its strength when there's those of us who have played and enjoyed it since its inception, which I'll remind you, a majority of the time it was considered an loljob outside of niche situations.

I certainly never said this, but it doesn't change the fact that I would say the majority of people playing BLU right now are, in fact, playing it because of its strength.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-19 16:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

People who consider themselves BLU mains and people who are BLU mains are two different sets of individuals. The real BLU mains won't be jumping ship the second SE inevitably nerfs the job into the ground due to threads like these.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-10-19 16:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

How many characters have you used maximum at once? Always thought it was 8 but curious if it has been more.
12, wanted a second party to speed up beitetsu farming when afterglow2 came out, but it came in pretty handy while doing reisenjima t4 as well

my original plan was to only use as many as i needed(which is my go-to approach), and fit in the rest only if they needed the content, but found that it seemed to be just the right size to make most of escha consistantly easy for me so now i generally use them all if doing anything there
[+]
By Afania 2016-10-19 16:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
I find it hard to agree with Comeatmebro since his perspective on the entire game is vastly different than 99.9% of other players.

How is that any different? Because someone that multi box may favor a job with stronger survivability or something?

I don't multi box, in fact I don't even use any add on, scripts nor lua and just play the game in it's original form. I'm the polar opposite of Comeatmebro and asides from blu dmg nerf I agree with everything he said in this discussion, and I agree with pretty much everything he said in other discussions too.

I fail to see why heavy multi boxing in this game gives a player different perspective IF someone like me agree with his opinion at least 90% of time.
[+]
 Valefor.Kiaru
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-19 16:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are people so biased towards their own class?
 Asura.Crevox
Server: Asura
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2016-10-19 16:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

People who consider themselves BLU mains and people who are BLU mains are two different sets of individuals. The real BLU mains won't be jumping ship the second SE inevitably nerfs the job into the ground due to threads like these.

You're right, there are people who will keep playing it even if it did get nerfed, but even the people that will quit right after it gets nerfed will still call themselves BLU mains right now.

I've seen it happen multiple times already for other jobs, hence my other post. Besides that, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11