Why Do You Think Blue Mage SHOULD Be Nerfed?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Why do you think Blue Mage SHOULD be nerfed?
Why do you think Blue Mage SHOULD be nerfed?
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11
 Ragnarok.Figster
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: polorat12
By Ragnarok.Figster 2016-10-18 16:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
Hell, even WHM needs some new things - like a functioning way to remove Amnesia (Baramnesia doesn't cut it).

Can we not? You want to talk about overpowered, let's talk whm. Name a healer, any healer. Did you only think of whm? Did sch or rdm or any of the other obscure healers pop into your head at all? When was the last time you saw someone turn down a whm for another healer?

Fix the issue of whm being the only healer and not requiring a support job and blu will phase out. Make it so whm runs out of mp and then you will need a refresh. The refresh usually comes with a haste. The haste lessens the usefulness of blu since having haste on top of flutter doesn't help. Pretty soon you are gonna have 2 handers with the same haste as dual wielders and the differences between jobs will be more about the job as opposed to the 30% haste difference.

tldr: Nerf whm
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-10-18 16:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
I'm not trying to save face, what I meant is "subduction is faster" from the very beginning. You can't expect me to stay silent when you basically twisted the meaning of my word into something else.

You're the only one that tries to paint it into "it's the only way to win" by twisting the meaning of my word into something else.

If you read that ambu thread I was the one post several setup ideas with DD run, thf and rdm gravity II until blu sub blm being settled as current mainstream setup.

Maybe that's what you meant, and that's fine, because that is a valid statement. Subduction does provide the strongest gravity and, therefore, will lead to an easier time for melees to hit the mob. But it is NOT what you said. You cannot blame people for reading your exact statements and taking that as your intended message rather than looking underneath for any subtext within them.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-10-18 16:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of jobs can main heal nowadays. It basically comes down to Yagrush or no Yagrush.
By Afania 2016-10-18 16:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
Maybe that's what you meant, and that's fine. But it is NOT what you said. You cannot blame people for reading your exact statements and taking that as your intended message rather than looking underneath for any subtext within them.

In this months intense VD blu is absolutely necessary for efficient runs(that I know of) and IMO more optimal than alternative gravity role job RDM due to higher output and more potent gravity.

This is what I said, I didn't do any edit. I read it over and over again and I fail to see any msg stating frog can't be beaten without subduction??

For Gods sake I even I made a note of RDM capable doing the same and the disadvantage of it?

Still fail to understand why you all read it as "Afania said you can't win without subduction" when the sentence clearly didn't content such msg.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2016-10-18 16:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I think all the BLUs should be moved onto one server.

Now we've covered "Nerf BLU" and "server merge!" topics in one shot.
/efficiency
[+]
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-10-18 16:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-18 16:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
In this months intense VD

wherein you are referring to the frog

Quote:
blu is absolutely necessary

wherein you are referring to a certain job, in this case BLU, being absolutely necessary, absolutely necessary implying there is no substitute

Quote:
for efficient runs

to kill the frog in a time efficient manner.

Quote:
(that I know of)

irrelevant and blatantly moot modifier if your other posts are to be believed and you already know it can be cleared without BLU

While I, and everyone else, know what you meant, you wrote it out 100% wrong. Just admit it and move on. Once again I'll reiterate:

BLU makes the fight a bit easier and faster because it has a nonvariable, potent Gravity compared to RDM's variable Gravity.

and

BLU makes the fight beatable and there are no other alternatives ("absolutely necessary").

I don't know what kind of people you're doing intense with or what have you but the difference between me bringing my main on BLU and my mule on RDM generally comes down to whether the tank fell asleep at the keyboard or not and let hammer go off. It doesn't have anything to do with Subduction being necessary to farm efficiently as either a RDM or a BLU setup requires you to defeat the frog before A) Gravity wears off and/or B) Chainspell does. Subduction makes this easier but it is not absolutely necessary.

I hope this clears everything up for you and please remember to have a wonderful day.
[+]
By Verda 2016-10-18 16:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Snaps said: »
Most of the bitching about BLU come from people who don't play BLU (i.e. people who have no actual perspective.)

Threads like this aren't worth it, but it's just as easy to say all the defense of BLU players comes from people who play BLU and don't want it nerfed due to vested interest, BST and THF players often said similar things during nerfs to their jobs, I upvoted Comeatmebro's response because he does BLU but most of the defense of BLU does come from people who play it and I've even learned people that I never heard talk about BLU pop up in defense of it and then after learn they do indeed play BLU. My view is BLU needs a nerf, it does too much well at once and even outperforms some jobs niche specialties and it takes 3-4 jobs to replace it, more and more people give up what they were playing to play BLU every day and that's a giant problem in a game with 22 job choices and most people have time to play 1-2 at most with only some people able to play more than that at a high level. I don't want to log onto a game with 70% of the population BLUs and the other 30% not doing it only out of spite not because it's not the path of least resistance. I'd rather keep my good mood and optimistic outlook on humanity so I'm going to abscond happily from this thread having stated my perfectly valid opinion I am both more than adequately informed on and free to have, have fun guys (though more likely will turn into ad hominem attacks, straw man arguments, red herrings, and similar only to end in an argument to moderation or people just being too sick of arguing to care anymore, only to have it brought up again because it is actually a big problem that needs addressing and the longer that is denied the more obvious it becomes and hopefully the bigger the nerf will be as payment for visiting this plague upon us of constant arguing over BLU being nerfed and needing a stronger deterrent to level out job choice selection to a more even level again). GEO is also too strong, but unlike BLU it doesn't shut out other job classes nearly as much it just makes everyone better so people are much less likely to raise issue with it.
[+]
 Asura.Cicion
Server: Asura
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2016-10-18 16:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Scale blu AOE elemental magic when it hits more then one mob like ya know Blackmage and Geomancer magic spells plz. Or unscale it for Blackmage and Geo
[+]
By hobo 2016-10-18 16:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
I think all the BLUs should be moved onto one server.

Now we've covered "Nerf BLU" and "server merge!" topics in one shot.
/efficiency

That sounds fun and terrible at the same time. Can we get all our aeonics with 18 BLUs? Are we going back to reserving dynamis?
By Afania 2016-10-18 16:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

@Pro

Yes, I use the term "absolutely necessary" because Im not aware of other job that has gravity as potent as subduction AND able to deal same amount of dps. I'm not aware that a RDM sub BLM can out dps BLU in same lv of gears.

If Im wrong about this feel free to point it out, if not then "absolutely necessary" is correct term as there's no alternative that can do the same.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-18 16:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a dejà-vu. Almost like this thread already happened before...
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-18 16:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

@Pro

Yes, I use the term "absolutely necessary" because Im not aware of other job that has gravity as potent as subduction AND able to deal same amount of dps. I'm not aware that a RDM sub BLM can out dps BLU in same lv of gears.

If Im wrong about this feel free to point it out, if not then "absolutely necessary" is correct term as there's no alternative that can do the same.

fact is you don't have to condense DPS and gravity into the same slot to do it efficiently, if you're still missing that point. there are two mandatory slots, tank and gravity. the other four can be filled with whatever you want* (generally I like to have a GEO or BRD in there somewhere but have done it without).

guess I should append: anything you want that doesnt begin with bl and end with ack mage.
By Afania 2016-10-18 16:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
@Pro

fact is you don't have to condense DPS and gravity into the same slot to do it efficiently, if you're still missing that point. there are two mandatory slots, tank and gravity. the other four can be filled with whatever you want (generally I like to have a GEO or BRD in there somewhere but have done it without).

In other words, setup like tank DD DD GEO BRD RDM will kill faster than setup like tank DD DD GEO BRD BLU assuming all has same gears and skills, thus BLU become preferred slot for gravity role, and that's why I used a term "absolutely necessary" to demonstrate this fact that you can't replace a BLU in this case and get the same result in terms of pt dps unless Im missing something.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-18 16:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You are missing something, both of those setups are required to kill in the same minimum amount of time or both setups face the same inevitable wipe. Both setups must clear in around 2m or less. Both setups can do so. Both setups are efficient compared to, say, bringing a bunch of mages or rangers or something or having to use 1 hours. BLU is not absolutely necessary.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2016-10-18 16:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Figster said: »
Diatribe
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-18 16:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You can spin it any way you want, but "absolutely necessary" is absolute hyperbole.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-18 17:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Also want to point out having both a brd and a geo is total overkill, one or the other is fine
 Bahamut.Alexcennah
Server: Bahamut
user: digoserra
By Bahamut.Alexcennah 2016-10-18 17:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cicion said: »
Scale blu AOE elemental magic when it hits more then one mob like ya know Blackmage and Geomancer magic spells plz. Or unscale it for Blackmage and Geo
I agree. But at same time give BLU decent single target spells AND let them magic burst without a 2 minutes recast JA AND give them some good nuking staves.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot: Merlinic too, please.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-10-18 17:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Elemental magic should 100% not scale down with more enemies.

BLU's magic is more than good enough as of now. Lowering the recast of BA would be more fair than just allowing us to burst whenever we feel like it.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-10-18 17:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
don't want it nerfed due to vested interest, BST and THF players often said similar things during nerfs to their jobs,

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/45180/rudras-storm-update/3/#2772545

Quote:
I didn't want a big damage upgrade for THF, I was pretty happy with where we were, a little more on MS/RS/MS would be fine, sure. I wanted TA to transfer ALL hate, or Hide to always work and drop ALL hate, so we could return to being a hate control pro. I never felt like my damage was severely lacking before, and now it's just absurdly high...

Lower on that page...

Quote:
There needs to at least be 6~ job "options" the community actively plays to consider things "balanced". All we did was tack a 3rd on, but it's really bad, to where SAM and MNK are even getting sidelined by people. And the fights become boring, get to 3000% tp, take a huge chunk out of a bosses ***. It's too strong. Maybe make it 12-13 fTP instead of 19.5, which would make it still quite strong,

But of course, everyone thinks I call for BLU to be nerfed because I want THF to be top dog or some such thing. At least when my job was OP I didn't go into denial mode.
 Sylph.Dravidian
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-10-18 17:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I view BLU as the jack of all trades but the master of none. Maybe that is why I never agree with a nerf to it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-18 17:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I don't feel like BLU has to deal more magic damage, it already does a considerable amount more of it than most other melee DDs and increasing it further will only make people whine more.
[+]
 Sylph.Braden
By Sylph.Braden 2016-10-18 17:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

@Pro

- Saboteur Gravity II lasts longer and is still potent enough for any melee to auto-follow
- Inundation is a substantial boost to SC damage, which is something any good party should be focusing on (and not spamming single-step Light)
- A RDM+BLU tandem would allow the BLU to sub WAR for a large DPS increase; both jobs can cap the entire party's Haste with Haste II and Diffusion MG before other buffs (if any)

RDM obviously isn't able to keep up in raw damage, but you still might be better off with one than with a BLU.
 Bahamut.Alexcennah
Server: Bahamut
user: digoserra
By Bahamut.Alexcennah 2016-10-18 17:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dravidian said: »
I view BLU as the jack of all trades but the master of none. Maybe that is why I never agree with a nerf to it.
That's RDM. BLU is an utterly customizable job. Infinite jobs in one pack.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Coronos
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Coronos
By Quetzalcoatl.Coronos 2016-10-18 17:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been in a total of two Intense Ambuscade parties that got me my 15k HMs. First party was PLD BLU THF THF GEO COR. Second party was PLD BLU BLU THF GEO COR. To break it down by roles, the party must have:

Tank, Gravity-mage, Melee, Melee, GEOorBRD, GEOorBRDorCOR.

If we plug in RDM for Gravity Mage, the party will take longer to kill the Frog. RDM will cast Gravity and maybe try some other debuffs. But there will be no melee-ing or WSing.

If we plug in BLU for Gravity Mage, then the kill will be much faster. Because then the party roles become:

Tank, Gravity-melee, Melee, Melee, GEOorBRD, GEOorBRDorCOR.

Would you rather do 1 Ambuscade per 15 minutes or 1 Ambuscade per 2 minutes.

If you answered the former, I pray you get your HMs before the month is up.

If you answered the latter, then you are also saying BLU is necessary.
By Afania 2016-10-18 17:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

That's because when you see the term you automatically assume it means it's required to win, ignoring the fact I use the term with "efficient runs" attached right behind it, not "to win".

Even in situations Pro suggested, both RDM and BLU setup beat the NM in 2 min, BLU setup will come out killing faster due to higher dps, thus it's a more efficient run than RDM. If yoi can't get the same killspeed result with RDM then those job aren't interchangeable.

Oh well, you get what I meant, guess I'll just avoid using that term since appearantly with the way you guys read it it can only associate to beating the content but not trying to accomplish faster killspeed.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-18 17:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Coronos
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Coronos
By Quetzalcoatl.Coronos 2016-10-18 17:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Alexcennah said: »
Sylph.Dravidian said: »
That's RDM. BLU is an utterly customizable job. Infinite jobs in one pack.

BLU was supposed to be the answer to all the melee-RDMs prayers. Call back to pre-Aht Urghan days where RDMs couldn't unsheathe their swords because their only role was to Refresh, Haste, and Enfeeble.

Apparently said RDMs didn't like Blue Mage because it didn't have the word "Red" in the name. And yet, Blue Mage is the closest we have to a true Melee Mage.

Play for the role you want, not the job title you want.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-18 17:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't understand that you're encouraging that same "blu only" mentality that you want to remove?

Less informed players read these threads looking to learn how to do events. If you tell them that without blu they'll have poor performance you're just leading them to think they must play blu only.

When you're talking about some seconds off you really need to tone it down. Hence why I called it hyperbole. You can present a point without needing to go extreme.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11