Random Politics & Religion #07

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #07
Random Politics & Religion #07
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 59 60 61
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-06-28 17:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
So lots of people dead in Turkey.

I'll offer one brief moment of sympathy and prayer....

....before I then wonder how such an act of terrorism was capable in a country that already its citizens from owning semi automatic "assault style" weapons.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-06-28 17:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I hope, when I die, however I go, I hope someone running for office or posting on a gaming forum offers an insincere prayer prior to politicizing my death.

Just get killed by a terrorist. Obama will get on that post-haste.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-28 17:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »
I hope, when I die, however I go, I hope someone running for office or posting on a gaming forum offers an insincere prayer prior to politicizing my death.

Would it make you feel fuzzier inside if the method of death was by suicide bombers and the person wanted to talk about "guns"?

Well how is that gun ban working out?

Guns and Turks go back like spinal cord and a car seat.

I.e there isn't a gun ban in Turkey.

So there aren't any restriction on owning firearms or certain types of firearms?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-06-28 18:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not a ban
By Jetackuu 2016-06-28 19:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Insincere prayers are the only prayers I make!

"Ladies and douchewaffles, we are gathered here today to celebrate whiskey and memes."
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-28 20:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

London's favorite mayor is enacting Sharia law in Britain's capital banning public images of women in Bikinis on Public transportation. This is just the beginning.

Quote:
Mayor Sadiq Kahn of London has banned from public transportation advertisements that promote unhealthy body images. The mayor’s office announced the ban, which starts next month, on Tuesday.

Khan, who took office as the first Muslim mayor of the city in May, said that as the father of teenage daughters, he is worried about the impression advertisements can make on young women.

“I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising [,] which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies. It is high time it came to an end,” Khan is quoted in a press release.

Kahn also asked the Transportation for London network to establish a review board that will decide which of the Tube advertisements pressures people to “conform to unhealthy or unrealistic body images.”

Critics have widely attacked the decision, saying it is too vague to be implemented properly, it suppresses advertisers’ rights to free speech and it caters to easily-offended ‘social justice warriors.’

The commercial development director for TfL defended the ban, arguing the permanent nature of advertisements in the Tube makes the transportation system responsible for censoring messaging.

“Our customers cannot simply switch off or turn a page if an advertisement offends or upsets them and we have a duty to ensure the copy we carry reflects that unique environment,” Director Graeme Craig said. “We want to encourage great advertising that engages people and enhances the transport network.”

Last April, London was at the center of a controversy about a “body-shaming” advertisement featuring a weight-loss product, a model wearing a bikini, and the words, “Are you beach body ready?”

The ad caused an international uproar, with Tube patrons scribbling messages like “#everydaysexism” and “If my body is on a beach, then it is ready” on the posters and posing in swimsuits in front of the ads. The ads were eventually removed, but consumer support for the company generated more than $1.5 million in revenue in four days, Breitbart reported.

Academic research supports Khan’s claim that young women are influenced by advertisements’ idealized portrayals of beauty. A study from the American Academy of Pediatrics from 1999 found that “47% of the girls were influenced by magazine pictures to want to lose weight, but only 29% were actually overweight.”

Further, “Girls who were already dissatisfied with their bodies showed more dieting, anxiety, and bulimic symptoms after prolonged exposure to fashion and advertising images in a teen girl magazine.”

The question remains, however: should the mayor have taken this far-reaching action? Some have accused the mayor of applying the Muslim values of intense modesty to London. A transport official denied the claims, linking the ban to mental health considerations.

The mayor’s office has not named any criteria by which advertising content must abide. Are all pictures of models in swimsuits banned? What about pictures of thin models (how thin is too thin?), or advertisements about ice cream or cookies or potato chips? Can fast food restaurants run ads? Khan’s vague policy can quickly turn into a slippery slope of censorship.

TfL announced it will also publish an annual report reviewing all the advertising campaigns that run in public transport.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-06-28 21:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »
London's favorite mayor is enacting Sharia law in Britain's capital banning public images of women in Bikinis on Public transportation. This is just the beginning.

Quote:
Mayor Sadiq Kahn of London has banned from public transportation advertisements that promote unhealthy body images. The mayor’s office announced the ban, which starts next month, on Tuesday.

Khan, who took office as the first Muslim mayor of the city in May, said that as the father of teenage daughters, he is worried about the impression advertisements can make on young women.

“I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising [,] which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies. It is high time it came to an end,” Khan is quoted in a press release.

Kahn also asked the Transportation for London network to establish a review board that will decide which of the Tube advertisements pressures people to “conform to unhealthy or unrealistic body images.”

Critics have widely attacked the decision, saying it is too vague to be implemented properly, it suppresses advertisers’ rights to free speech and it caters to easily-offended ‘social justice warriors.’

The commercial development director for TfL defended the ban, arguing the permanent nature of advertisements in the Tube makes the transportation system responsible for censoring messaging.

“Our customers cannot simply switch off or turn a page if an advertisement offends or upsets them and we have a duty to ensure the copy we carry reflects that unique environment,” Director Graeme Craig said. “We want to encourage great advertising that engages people and enhances the transport network.”

Last April, London was at the center of a controversy about a “body-shaming” advertisement featuring a weight-loss product, a model wearing a bikini, and the words, “Are you beach body ready?”

The ad caused an international uproar, with Tube patrons scribbling messages like “#everydaysexism” and “If my body is on a beach, then it is ready” on the posters and posing in swimsuits in front of the ads. The ads were eventually removed, but consumer support for the company generated more than $1.5 million in revenue in four days, Breitbart reported.

Academic research supports Khan’s claim that young women are influenced by advertisements’ idealized portrayals of beauty. A study from the American Academy of Pediatrics from 1999 found that “47% of the girls were influenced by magazine pictures to want to lose weight, but only 29% were actually overweight.”

Further, “Girls who were already dissatisfied with their bodies showed more dieting, anxiety, and bulimic symptoms after prolonged exposure to fashion and advertising images in a teen girl magazine.”

The question remains, however: should the mayor have taken this far-reaching action? Some have accused the mayor of applying the Muslim values of intense modesty to London. A transport official denied the claims, linking the ban to mental health considerations.

The mayor’s office has not named any criteria by which advertising content must abide. Are all pictures of models in swimsuits banned? What about pictures of thin models (how thin is too thin?), or advertisements about ice cream or cookies or potato chips? Can fast food restaurants run ads? Khan’s vague policy can quickly turn into a slippery slope of censorship.

TfL announced it will also publish an annual report reviewing all the advertising campaigns that run in public transport.
Incorrect.

Sadiq Kahn took office this year, that ad was banned last year.

[Source]

He ordered Transport for London to ban any ads they deemed to be 'body shaming' it was TfL, not Khaaaaaan!!
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-06-28 22:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Update:

Quote:
Istanbul airport attack: 36 dead, 147 injured, Turkish officials say
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-28 22:23:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The article said he ordered it.

So do you and londoners accept Sharia Law in small doses ?
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-28 22:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what's next beating women at public beaches for wearing Bikinis ? Oh wait that's already happening.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-29 00:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I can agree with Bobby Jindal on his message about Immigration.

" let's be honest, immigration without assimilation is not immigration. It's Invasion ".

I have nothing against immigration as long as it's done legally. I look to my mother in law for this example. Both her husband herself came to the United States of America in the 1950s from Spain. They followed the US laws of doing that and became citizens. They learned the English language and use it primarily and celebrate United States national holidays as well as Spain ' s.

This is what assimilation is. God bless her and others who legally immigrate here.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-06-29 07:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok...but this doesn't seem to be the report that this article was quoting from.

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Also, related:

Quote:
A 339-page report released by Democrats on the House Select Committee on Benghazi mentions Donald Trump 23 times.

That total is more than the combined number of references to Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty, two of the former Navy SEALs killed in the Sept. 11, 2012 attacks. Ambassador Chris Stevens, who was also killed during the onslaught, is mentioned 85 times in the report, according to Republicans on the Select Committee.

Democrats can't even keep Trump out of a Benghazi report. You can't make this stuff up.

I didn't find a reference to Trump.

I wish news agencies would link reports they discuss.
By fonewear 2016-06-29 07:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just shocked anyone would care enough to read a report that isn't deemed homework !
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-06-29 07:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind there are 3 versions of this report floating around.

The version from the Democrats: assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2917673/Report-issued-by-Democrats-on-Benghazi-Committee.pdf

The version the majority of the Republicans agreed on: That's the link Flavin and I posted earlier.

A third version that was not signed off by the GoP members but was drafted by 2 "extremely conservative" is supposedly the most critical and condemning and I'm trying to find its link...
Ah ha. ok, this is the report referenced in that article.

Well at least it is only 1 pdf ....
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-06-29 07:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm just shocked anyone would care enough to read a report that isn't deemed homework !
I am still in shock that you read The Confessions of Saint Augustine
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-29 08:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

Well I was trying to make a point on God existing outside of time and the was the only reference point I could find !
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The article said he ordered it.

So do you and londoners accept Sharia Law in small doses ?

It's not Sharia law, you human paraquat.

I think the "body shaming" thing is idiotic and has gone entirely too far, too, but it's got ***-all to do with religion.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what's next beating women at public beaches for wearing Bikinis ? Oh wait that's already happening.

Yeah, because America doesn't have any judgment issues with women who display their bodies publically, right?

Sod off already.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

I'm telling you, Foney is the most elaborate troll in the history of the internet. He deserves awards.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 08:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

" let's be honest, immigration without assimilation is not immigration. It's Invasion ".

Assimilation doesn't happen overnight, or even over years.

It happens over generations.

That's why only now are you start to find Italian-American families who don't have little old grandmas who can't speak English, because the oldest of them are passing away.

This country is built on a backbone of generational immigration and assimilation. We've got this down. Quit panicking, things will work out in the long run.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-29 10:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So lots of people dead in Turkey.

I'll offer one brief moment of sympathy and prayer....

....before I then wonder how such an act of terrorism was capable in a country that already its citizens from owning semi automatic "assault style" weapons.
Two words: ammonium nitrate.
By Jetackuu 2016-06-29 10:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.newsmax.com/MichaelShannon/earmark-federal-funding-Planned-Parenthood/2016/06/29/id/736192/

The stupid, it burns.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-29 11:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

What's funny is that they even get that assurance that their taxpayer money isn't being spent on something they don't want.

I can't be assured my money doesn't go to defense attorneys for rapists and murderers, or toward bombing that doesn't decisively discriminate between enemy combatant and civilian. -.-;
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-06-29 11:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

or ever. if you don't want to be assimilated. (see: The Amish)

The most important part of the equation that was overlooked by, in one example, Bill Clinton in regards to the Somalis.

Is that a lot of them didn't want to come here and become americans.

And probably neither did the italian grandmother that never learned english in your story. But her son that brought her over here did and he raised his kids to be americans.

and despite their grandmother's desperate attempt to do that spitting through the fingers thing to ward off evil spirits the kids grew up to drink budwieser and act like douchebags (see: The Jersey Shore)

The time of allowing religious fundamentalists to push native americans off their land so these reluctant immigrants can come create little closed off societies from the rest of america is OVER.

It was a stupid idea from the jump and to continue it because "it's our tradition to do so" is even dumber.

There is a difference between religious freedom and Jim Jones level dumbass homicidal / suicidal ***. It's time to wake up and quit pussyfooting around death cults so as not to offend their delicate sensibilities.

Oh you belong to a Religious cult that believes in idiotic medieval practices like death punishment for all gay people and woman that get out of line, by stoning? oh yeah and you refuse to give them up?

ACCESS DENIED!
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-29 12:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

As a FFXI fundamentalist I support suicide bombing FFXIV !
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-06-29 13:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

there was a jp ls on carbuncle that used taru ninja mules with their claim bot. so, if they got the claim you'd see tons of "taru boomers" as we called them popping around DA.

memories.

FIRE THE TARU BOOMERS!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-29 14:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Ramyrez said: »

or ever. if you don't want to be assimilated. (see: The Amish)

The most important part of the equation that was overlooked by, in one example, Bill Clinton in regards to the Somalis.

Is that a lot of them didn't want to come here and become americans.

And probably neither did the italian grandmother that never learned english in your story. But her son that brought her over here did and he raised his kids to be americans.

and despite their grandmother's desperate attempt to do that spitting through the fingers thing to ward off evil spirits the kids grew up to drink budwieser and act like douchebags (see: The Jersey Shore)

The time of allowing religious fundamentalists to push native americans off their land so these reluctant immigrants can come create little closed off societies from the rest of america is OVER.

It was a stupid idea from the jump and to continue it because "it's our tradition to do so" is even dumber.

There is a difference between religious freedom and Jim Jones level dumbass homicidal / suicidal ***. It's time to wake up and quit pussyfooting around death cults so as not to offend their delicate sensibilities.

Oh you belong to a Religious cult that believes in idiotic medieval practices like death punishment for all gay people and woman that get out of line, by stoning? oh yeah and you refuse to give them up?

ACCESS DENIED!
You're just a racist and a xenophobic bigot.

Besides, why would you assume any leftists want people to become American, they hate what it means to be American.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-29 14:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You're just a racist and a xenophobic bigot.
Reported!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-29 14:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not a ban
What do you call banning semi automatic gun ownership then if not a "ban"?

<wait's patiently>
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-06-29 14:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not a ban
What do you call banning semi automatic gun ownership then if not a "ban"?

<wait's patiently>
A restriction.
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 59 60 61