Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-12-18 17:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Anesthesia said: »
volkom said: »
stop buying gil, browsing rmt sites, checking weird emails

The idea that this is always how your account gets hacked is one of the worst, most persistent recurrent urban legends ever.

The vast majority of all account hackings: Player uses same password as game on less secure community site --> Community password database gets compromised --> Hackers try usernames/passwords on game ---> A significant portion of them work
It's not an urban legend, I know people who had their accounts compromised through malware. I've had malware installed on my system too, but I got it off before anything happened. Most PCs are riddled with old versions of programs full of security flaws. It's really not difficult to design malware that takes advantage of these flaws and 0-days.

But you're right, reusing passwords does leave you vulnerable, but they still need a way to get your ID information too. Just reusing passwords isn't enough, because the password needs to be paired with the correct account.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
Server: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-12-18 17:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said: »

The idea that this is always how your account gets hacked is one of the worst, most persistent recurrent urban legends ever.

The vast majority of all account hackings: Player uses same password as game on less secure community site --> Community password database gets compromised --> Hackers try usernames/passwords on game ---> A significant portion of them work
It's not an urban legend, I know people who had their accounts compromised through malware. I've had malware installed on my system too, but I got it off before anything happened. Most PCs are riddled with old versions of programs full of security flaws. It's really not difficult to design malware that takes advantage of these flaws and 0-days.

But you're right, reusing passwords does leave you vulnerable, but they still need a way to get your ID information too. Just reusing passwords isn't enough, because the password needs to be paired with the correct account.

Please take careful note of the word "Always" in that sentence.

Also,

You didn't quote the other bit :(

Beyond that, you're one to talk.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/12826/crap-i-deal-with-because-of-people-selling-account#752212

He deleted the OP out of embarrassment, but it's easy enough to get the idea.

Seriously, I don't know why everyone on the site doesn't post this thread whenever Volkom says anything, ever.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-12-18 17:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You irrelevantly shaming him doesn't change the fact that you're advocating making a myth out of something that is a legitimate security concern.

Shame on you.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-12-18 17:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You shaming him, doesn't change the fact that you're advocating making a myth out of something that is a legitimate security concern.

Shame on you.

I'm not sure else how else I should try to draw your attention to the word "Always" in that sentence.

Does this help?

Re-read slowly and carefully. I didn't say it was a myth at all.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-12-18 17:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, you trivialized it. The surrounding context suggests that its a theory you don't take seriously. You could have simply drawn attention to to the fact that password reuse can lead to compromised accounts without downplaying the seriousness of infection. In which case I would have had to (and did) concede that you were correct. Infection is serious, because if someone restores the account without resolving the infection they will just lose the account again.

In order to maintain maximum account security you should (not in any particular order):
1) Use a unique password for your account.
2) Ensure your computer is not currently infected.
3) Properly shield your computer against future infections (script blocking, surfing habits, patched software).
4) Don't share your account information with other people.
5) Get a security token.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-12-18 17:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, you trivialized it.

You are grasping at straws.

Is it that difficult to admit you didn't read what I wrote.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-12-18 17:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

From my personal experience and knowing "quite a lot" about the subject, most people "hacked" are simply being used by people who can access their account, as simple as that.

In case some people didn't know, a person can be your brother, sister, best friend, wife, husband, whatever, he/she can still destroy your account. Always be safe, always.

I have many examples of brothers deleting each others characters/items and so on, sometime the "hack" is something much more simple than a malware or even a userbase password database.

Simple things are always the most efficient. Real hacks are very rare, by a long shot, especially since FFXI accounts aren't worth anything.
By volkom 2012-12-18 18:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

well if you want to go into it. Yeah back then I was dumb and didn't know half the stuff I know now.
I had 2 FFXI accounts. One of them was given to me and one that I started myself. Had a friend that wanted to play, thought I could get rid off an account from a different game for a 3rd FFXI account.
Anywho I can't prove to you that I did or didn't buy gil or if my account is legitimate or not.
What I do however is that I play new mmo's and try to hit level cap with decent gear within opening week/weekend and then try to sell it.
Think the only time that I ever bought something through RMT was money for aion just to craft.
But whatever. go ahead and post the thread every time I make a post. I don't give two shits about it.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-12-19 16:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

SE doesn't train their Customer Service staff very well.
By mattyc 2012-12-20 16:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ok so i just wanted to see if anyone has been hacked has similar situation as me.

i filled out my form for game data recovery and made a copy of my photo ID and have sent literally over 10 emails to the listed email address to send the form to.

none of which have been received by them...

i talked to 5 reps on the phone and they asked me if the files were under 800kb, which they were...

this being said i have sent the information from MY email, MY alt email, and even from my brothers email. they say successfully sent yet they do not receive...

i dont understand why POL wants us to jump through AIDS infested burning loops of ***...

any feed back be very nice as i am beyond frustrated...
 Quetzalcoatl.Scwall
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Scwall 2012-12-20 17:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When I sent in my form, I composed a new message rather than replying to the one they sent. They specifically say don't reply to this message, just in case that's your problem. I use hotmail if that makes any difference.

Hopefully it's an easy fix like that^ otherwise I don't have any other suggestions for email. The next option would be physically mailing it...
By mattyc 2012-12-20 17:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

wish it was that scwall...
and i sent it this morning just in case something ridiculous like this happened....my luck is ***this is nothing new to me...
and ya i used hotmail, gmail, and my brothers yahoo email, all didnt work...like i said "***"

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Scwall
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Scwall 2012-12-20 18:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't have to get mine notarized. After sending the email it took 29 days to have it recovered and able to log in again.
By mattyc 2012-12-21 14:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

dont need to have it notarized unless it's an account they cant get back using the game data recovery system, just got off phone with rep and was reassured that mine would not need it notarized, still having to send by mail rather than email is *** stupid, no one else has same issues as me apparently. my luck wins again nonetheless.
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2012-12-21 14:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Angierus said: »
a friend of mine got hacked about a year back and when they got hacked they said this is the processes they went through to get their account back.

Quote:
it was given to me by the customer service guy, its used for rollbacks and such.. they email it to you in .pdf format and you need to print it out and sign it and get it notarized, and send in copies of your I.D

Hope that helps, SE's customer service has always been a *** to get through, as I recall they had to send in the form twice because the first time my friend failed to get it notarized.
That sounds about right and it sounds normal.Most game companys do this to make sure they are giving the account back to the owner with the right information on file.
By Dreamsea 2013-01-15 17:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

i've not been following this thread, but lately (in the past 4 weeks or so there has been a LOT of players been keylogged/hacked on siren! I know of 5 cases but there's probably more...

all had their characters taken stripped and then deleted >_<

i was wondering if any other servers has been experiencing the same thing?

evi~
 Shiva.Vosslerr
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Vosslerr 2013-01-31 01:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, you trivialized it. The surrounding context suggests that its a theory you don't take seriously. You could have simply drawn attention to to the fact that password reuse can lead to compromised accounts without downplaying the seriousness of infection. In which case I would have had to (and did) concede that you were correct. Infection is serious, because if someone restores the account without resolving the infection they will just lose the account again.

In order to maintain maximum account security you should (not in any particular order):
1) Use a unique password for your account.
2) Ensure your computer is not currently infected.
3) Properly shield your computer against future infections (script blocking, surfing habits, patched software).
4) Don't share your account information with other people.
5) Get a security token.

Getting a security token should be at the top of that list in my opinion. It effectively prevents you from being hacked except by anyone who finds it or if you leave your token somewhere. Its not even easy to lose... Put it on your keyring..

I remember another game I played attempted to bring tokens to thier game but the idea was shot down specifically because people didn't want to pay the amount of money to be more secure. That reason is stupid because the same people keep find themselves hacked and thier items dropped or characters deleted. $10 is not an unreasonable amount to remain secure.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-31 02:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell, I don't know how people can manage without the extra bag that the token comes with.
[+]
 Asura.Tamoa
Server: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2013-01-31 02:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Scan your computer regularly. Also, I recently had no less than 3 different viruses on my pc due to the latest Java version exploit (was careless for the first time ever), they were picked up by AVG and Malwarebytes, but for those of you out there that use Avast - Avast did not pick up either of these viruses.

Neither AVG nor Malwarebytes were able to get rid of the stuff though, and I ended up needing outside help. I suspect this Java exploit is the reason why it seems there's an increase in hacked accounts lately.

And yeah, get a token. It's worth it.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-31 02:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The recent spike in hackings is because SE broke clipper in the 12/12 update, people subsequently made new ones, and someone snuck a link to a download containing a trojan into the thread of legitimate (non-trojan) links on guildwork.
 Asura.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2013-01-31 03:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
The recent spike in hackings is because SE broke clipper in the 12/12 update, people subsequently made new ones, and someone snuck a link to a download containing a trojan into the thread of legitimate (non-trojan) links on guildwork.

There's that too, good point. So yeah, don't be lazy, run those virus scans. It certainly saved me.
 Asura.Mythh
user: Ganjuh
By Asura.Mythh 2013-01-31 03:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup same here been about a month. *** ridiculous. Will be getting a security token asap. Pretty pathetic that this has been happening a lot recently. I'm mad, bro.
 Siren.Taruina
Server: Siren
user: zerich
By Siren.Taruina 2013-02-12 10:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

One of the people who was keylogged/hacked had an up to date security token.

Didn't save her.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sithel
user: Wildman33
By Quetzalcoatl.Sithel 2013-02-12 10:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Taruina said: »
One of the people who was keylogged/hacked had an up to date security token.

Didn't save her.

That's because nothing will save you from a key logger hack, security token or not. The one hacking via key logger is just as easy as having the security token in hand and pressing the button. You have several options to avoid key loggers.
1) Try to do virus scans regularly
2) Could try never typing in you SE password and bring up the keyboard box and mouse click your password.
3) Copy your SE password to notepad on another PC you know isn't infected, transfer that text doc to your PC you play FFXI on via a thumb drive or whatever. Then when you enter your password always highlight it and copy and paste. Never no typing required.
4) or I guess you could just auto save password, if that's possible. I dunno, I use the other 3 options :P

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sithel
user: Wildman33
By Quetzalcoatl.Sithel 2013-02-12 12:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Angierus said: »
I'm almost positive if you are being key logged, anything copy'd to clipboard is something that can be pulled and sent along with everything else you're typing.
I guess your right, I was reading up on that. Seems even having a virtual keyboard like what SE has to use mouse clicks can still be logged as if pressing the actual key on the keyboard. Looks like not all key loggers can copy the clip board but some do.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14