Link | Quote | Reply

im thinking about changing my passwords
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-09-02 08:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Think the RMTs are getting lazy.

I and multiple people in my LS got a tell to go to that website but the RMT didn't even try to disguise themselves as GMs.

Just a normal /tell without any "<name>! <spaces>[GM]RMT>>"
 Ramuh.Miemo
Server: Ramuh
user: Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-09-02 08:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image

^^!
 Cerberus.Amanada
Server: Cerberus
user: Amanada
By Cerberus.Amanada 2009-09-02 09:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

To hack people to get gil is nothing but destroying the game that they try to make money of. They even possibly hacked their own customers by doing that.

I hope quick measures can be taken to stop this. The thing is these folks are getting smart, they used hacked players often to spam, and to pretend as GM.

I wish I know a good way to stop all of this. As long as people buy gil and not cheating in the game, nothing will stop; and the day cheating will stop is only they shut down the server.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Rainer
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Avenger
By Gilgamesh.Rainer 2009-09-02 09:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope it was worth the trouble for them to steal my massive gil collection of 50k. I wish i could have seen their dissapiontment. Why would they care about stealing gil from their own customers the ppeople that buy gear are just gonna buy more when they lose what they have.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-02 09:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

it usually is good practice to change your passwords often. 10 to 15 characters with A-Z and 0-9, that way you'll have a better chance NOT to be hacked.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-09-02 12:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
it usually is good practice to change your passwords often. 10 to 15 characters with A-Z and 0-9, that way you'll have a better chance NOT to be hacked.

Personally I use a 11 character password that contains capitals and lower case and a number.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-09-02 13:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Rebekah said:
for real what is up with this BS?!
listen if someone says they are a GM and tells you to go on a website you have never been on b4, be safe and Call a GM...
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-09-02 13:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You can use as many numbers, letters, and special characters you want. They can still get it all using a keylogger.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-09-02 13:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This might be true, but I have a backup plan: Security Token

If they get through that, I saw a screenshot of a GM conversation where they said they would rollback unlimited amounts of times if you get hacked with a token.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Rainer
user: Avenger
By Gilgamesh.Rainer 2009-09-02 13:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I was using a security token and i didnt help at all.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-02 14:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
Rebekah said:
listen if someone says they are a GM and tells you to go on a website you have never been on b4, be safe and Call a GM...

bolded for the mentally braindead
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-09-02 14:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

would be cool if we could bind our Account info to our IPs
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-09-02 14:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

This is just a speculation, but has anyone else experienced a lot of random R0ing lately? I play on dialup (I KNOW. TELL ME I LIVE IN THE BOONIES PLZKTHX), so sometimes the R0 is being caused by checking AH sales or something like that, but it usually returns to normal once the page has fully loaded. Lately I've been getting weird R0s for no apparent reason, and my lsmates who are with me will say that they got the same thing too, but they didn't get logged out of POL with an error like I did. It may be completely irrelevant, but I just wanted to ask.

I haven't been hacked myself, but I'm truly sorry for those who have been and hadn't done anything outside of common sense.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm a poor Paladin that they're like, "ew, no, not that one. Look at her gear! Still wearing Adaman, tch." :x
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-02 14:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Zakanief said:
on another note i am not ranting about windower but if the net mmo i play has a NA only server i would pay double to be on it and i would pay triple to play on a console only server. i see alot of problems that are caused in this game that are a result of things a pc can do.

What does Windower have to do with being hacked? If you're going to make such a blatant statement like that, please back it up with information and facts.

In response to Anye, yes, I've been having R0 problems as of lately as well.
 Ifrit.Clouse
user: Clouse
By Ifrit.Clouse 2009-09-02 14:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye said:
This is just a speculation, but has anyone else experienced a lot of random R0ing lately? I play on dialup (I KNOW. TELL ME I LIVE IN THE BOONIES PLZKTHX), so sometimes the R0 is being caused by checking AH sales or something like that, but it usually returns to normal once the page has fully loaded. Lately I've been getting weird R0s for no apparent reason, and my lsmates who are with me will say that they got the same thing too, but they didn't get logged out of POL with an error like I did. It may be completely irrelevant, but I just wanted to ask.

I haven't been hacked myself, but I'm truly sorry for those who have been and hadn't done anything outside of common sense.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm a poor Paladin that they're like, "ew, no, not that one. Look at her gear! Still wearing Adaman, tch." :x

I have the same problem, but i dont get kicked from the game, i jsut get periodic r0 for 2-3 seconds at a time. I figured it was a fault from SE.

Also some adaman gear is decent till u can get better stuff, like hands and legs for those who dont have the time/will to do campaign battle or pay 200k for dusk.
 Ifrit.Clouse
user: Clouse
By Ifrit.Clouse 2009-09-02 14:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
Rebekah said:

I have mostly rare/ex ***anymore and broke as hell so im pretty much a waste to hack.
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-09-02 14:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
To hack people to get gil is nothing but destroying the game that they try to make money of. They even possibly hacked their own customers by doing that.

This occurred to me yesterday, upon hearing the news that a good friend of mine got hacked. For one, it causes me and others to take extra security measures, which makes the hackers' job far more difficult, and for two, if they do it enough, some people will simply start giving up on MMOs and go back to console games, which will also make their jobs more difficult as they have not only fewer people to hack, but added security to get past.

I know the security token doesn't make it foolproof, but I would like to think that it, combined with weekly changes of my password, would certainly come close. *Crossing fingers*
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-09-02 17:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, so the R0's are rampant cross-server. Hmmm.

Clouse said:
Also some adaman gear is decent till u can get better stuff, like hands and legs for those who dont have the time/will to do campaign battle or pay 200k for dusk.

Hehe. I'm working on that right now: Bronze Star and 51k AN..... The slow climb towards full IR set begins..... T_T
 Hades.Allegro
Server: Hades
user: Allegro
By Hades.Allegro 2009-09-02 18:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Do NOT use Internet Explorer!

If you use internet explorer on ffxi websites you will get hacked it's only a matter of time.

I highly recommend using firefox with noscript and adblocker add-ons.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-09-02 19:43:43
Link | Quote | Reply

lol got more

User submitted image
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-02 20:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Allegro said:

If you use internet explorer on ffxi websites you will get hacked it's only a matter of time.

I highly recommend using firefox with noscript and adblocker add-ons.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Akada
Server: Carbuncle
user: Akada
By Carbuncle.Akada 2009-09-02 20:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

With the recent hackings, I think we should try to pinpoint what websites may have a virus/trojan/keylogger. If you have been hacked please post what ffxi-related websites you have visited.! D: It may save some people from future hackings. :x
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-09-02 21:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Zakanief said:
bad as it all is the worst thing about the whole situation is se response and polcy on only one restore. if it was a result of visiting a phony web site, or shareing your info with others i can understand. however when the failed security of se results in a damaged character/product (se states clearly in the tos they own) they should feel obligated to fix it as many times as needed. imagine you order a steak rare and it comes out burnt so you send it back and it comes out burnt again and the waiter says sorry only one do over even tho we messed it up. then imagine you spent hundreds of hours over 4 years standing in line for it lol.

yeah that would make sense, except you can't prove either. a hacked account is a hacked account, that simple. SE isn't gonna send you spyware to check your system for keyloggers or review your browser history to see if you've been to fake sites or tampered sites. say my account was just *poof* hacked outta nowhere, if i've already had one rollback, and am trying for another, by your theory i should get it cuz its not my fault but at the same time, SE can say it is my fault i must've gotten a keylogger or visited an attack site or given out acct info. and its vice versa as well, i could have been at fault from reasons mentioned, but just tell SE it was a *poof* hack. How would they know the difference. you can't.

and then also with in that you get this:

Zakanief said:
bad as it all is the worst thing about the whole situation is se response and polcy on only one restore. if it was a result of visiting a phony web site, or shareing your info with others i can understand. however when the failed security of se results in a damaged character/product (se states clearly in the tos they own) they should feel obligated to fix it as many times as needed. imagine you order a steak rare and it comes out burnt so you send it back and it comes out burnt again and the waiter says sorry only one do over even tho we messed it up. then imagine you spent hundreds of hours over 4 years standing in line for it lol.

your analogy is flawed based on the fact that SE owns your character, and you chose to agree to their ToS. If you choose to eat at a restaurant, you choose to agree to their dining policies. if they say you get burnt steak, you get burnt steak. in both situations, could always go elsewhere if you don't like it.

Zakanief said:
lol see just how tech savy i am.

I guess not.
 Carbuncle.Akada
Server: Carbuncle
user: Akada
By Carbuncle.Akada 2009-09-02 21:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Update: My friend was just sitting on wiki, tabbed out to ffxi and NoScript gave him this option: "Do you want to complete your download?"
So wiki IS downloading something to people's computers @.@;
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-09-02 22:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i use Linux to do all the AH and wiki stuff

never got a popup on dling anything
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-09-02 23:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If that's the case is someone going to put up a playerwarning: wikipedia? :P
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-09-03 00:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn. I only ever use FFXIAH.com and FFXIclopedia--they're linked to each other now, so it's damned handy in either case. However, I trust the FFXIAH.com Admins waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more, so if this is the case, I'm inclined to blaming FFXIclopedia. Although, I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who use Wiki, why aren't they hacked?

One thing that still strikes me odd is the fact that people get kicked off of POL first, are able to log in only to find their accounts have been handled, and THEN come back to find their passwords changed. I'm starting to think that the hackers are somehow able to hi-jack the character while it is still logged in (bypassing password/token), and keep it logged in except that it is now under the control of the hacker. Then the hacker is kicked off by the player logging in, and vice versa yet again, in order to change the password. Does this seem credible?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 12 13 14