New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI @ TGS 2015 - Farewell video
FFXI @ TGS 2015 - Farewell video
First Page 2 3 4 5
By rkhan 2015-10-14 06:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

XI is just too old to bring in new players at this point.

I'm sure that there will always be a player base of dedicated players, but for most people the game is better in memoriam than in reality.

I honestly think that MMORPGs in general are dying out at this point, and regardless of the quality of the game, the fanbase will dry up until there's barely enough for one major MMORPG.
[+]
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-10-14 06:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
Let's just hope it doesn't get stuck in development hell.

When I read the article is was reported they were the same game, Kotaku has since retracted that here

Yeah, it was a mistake on Kotaku's part.

I just hope Nexon can maintain a mobile remake of such a massive MMO. If they scrap too much, it won't be FFXI anymore.
[+]
By rkhan 2015-10-14 06:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Kotaku making a mistake?!

Shocking!
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-10-14 07:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Granted last time I read about it was long long time ago. Without any fresh updates about the Project our fears of non-starter may be coming true.
By Zyla 2015-10-14 07:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

rkhan said: »
I honestly think that MMORPGs in general are dying out at this point, and regardless of the quality of the game, the fanbase will dry up until there's barely enough for one major MMORPG.

Honestly it does kinda seem that way these days, alot of ppl on sub based games only play a bit after major updates then drop again soon after. I'm guessing it's gonna steadily decline like that till we get a real VRMMO, which would be totally badass. I can has Nervegear? >.>
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-10-14 08:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Sylph.Katsuras said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
He hasn't posted any accurate links of HW sales. VGchartz has never, ever been accurate and doesn't include digital sales, which we all know make up the vast majority of all expansion sales. So no, he isn't "pretty much correct," he is making things up and passing them off as fact.

Are you saying Heavensward sold well? Please link me to the Square Enix press release about their pride at the sales numbers. You won't be able to. I have provided all possible indications that it sold poorly, if you want to say no and then offer the "well square never said" argument I'm gonna say it sold poorly.

Uh no, thats not how it works. You have been claiming HW sold poorly, its on you to prove it. You have not done so. You have provided no sources that it sold poorly, therefore, you are making it up and there is no reason to believe you.

Quote:
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
He also just made up 14 being one of the most expensive MMOs to mak

Japan has the most expensive development costs, developers are paid more in Japan than any other region. XIV is a triple A MMO, in todays market this is 50million bare minimum, given the graphic fidelity and the nature of the game there is no way this is a bare minimum budget mmo.

Here is what makes XIV and incredible money pit, it was made twice (8 years of development was it?), it nearly destroyed the company, it caused a lot of important people to be fired and it delayed almost all their other titles while they put full attention into XIV. XIV is well documented to of almost destroyed the company and you are telling me it wasn't an astronomical money pit?

If you think XIV has the look of a cheap mmo then fine but I think we both know a fantastic amount of money was pumped into this game and it was done twice. Something no MMO has ever done before, because it's way too costly to basically double the budget.

As I say, on-top of the massive double mmo budget this game has it also delayed almost all of their other titles while they reworked it, it lead to lots of important people being fired and it almost crippled the company. Let all that sink in, and then tell me that FFXI, which cost 15 million to make that had almost the same subscriber numbers won't be more profitable.
I'm sure after this long diatribe, you can tell us how much it cost to make 14 as compared to other games? No? Nothing? Assumptions? K.
[+]
By missdivine 2015-10-14 09:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Aeyela said: »
He already posted a few links

Every link he's posted has no source for their numbers and are just more statistics pulled out of the arse, much like most of what he's posting. The first link (where XI was 31st) was a random user's profile with zero links to where they obtained the data. You call that proof? Compare that to SE's stock market report for 2014, where they're legally obligated to provide as much transparency as possible for their shareholders... If that's your definition of proof then I pity you.

Um not true, in that very link it has a reference at the top which links to a wikia with a Fiscal year report. It only goes to 2011 but it still proves his point. It wasn't the only link he posted either.

Quote:
The amusing point is that at no point has anybody actually madly defended XIV. We're just calling someone so desperate to externalize his hatred for XIV on his ***. Yet, you insist (along with him, hmm...) on accusing us of "defending it hard".

At this point it says more about you two than it does any of us. Nobody's taking your XI from you Draylo. Chill out.

Don't try to bring me into your little argument, I have said nothing except one line to "defend" him lol(also hmm, if you're suggesting hes my sock account you are one gigantic idiot.) I also never typed anything remotely close in this thread that is accusing people of defending it. I'm hardly pretending like anyone is trying to take away XI nor do I need to chill out. I think you are trying way too hard atm.
Why you always get so hysterical and start insulting people when they type something about you?. Quite pathetic and creepy.
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2015-10-14 12:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Quote:
The amusing point is that at no point has anybody actually madly defended XIV. We're just calling someone so desperate to externalize his hatred for XIV on his ***. Yet, you insist (along with him, hmm...) on accusing us of "defending it hard".

At this point it says more about you two than it does any of us. Nobody's taking your XI from you Draylo. Chill out.

Perfectly summed up.

And the threads will keep rolling along... With each year XIV continues, Katsuras will amend his presupposed conclusion with "XI would have done better, been more profitable," or some other unprovable nonsense.

Interpretation -> conclusion -> interpretation consistently supporting the prior conclusion
By Draylo 2015-10-14 21:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

missdivine said: »
Aeyela said: »
He already posted a few links

Every link he's posted has no source for their numbers and are just more statistics pulled out of the arse, much like most of what he's posting. The first link (where XI was 31st) was a random user's profile with zero links to where they obtained the data. You call that proof? Compare that to SE's stock market report for 2014, where they're legally obligated to provide as much transparency as possible for their shareholders... If that's your definition of proof then I pity you.

Um not true, in that very link it has a reference at the top which links to a wikia with a Fiscal year report. It only goes to 2011 but it still proves his point. It wasn't the only link he posted either.

Quote:

Don't try to bring me into your little argument, I have said nothing except one line to "defend" him lol(also hmm, if you're suggesting hes my sock account you are one gigantic idiot.) I also never typed anything remotely close in this thread that is accusing people of defending it. I'm hardly pretending like anyone is trying to take away XI nor do I need to chill out. I think you are trying way too hard atm.
Why you always get so hysterical and start insulting people when they type something about you?. Quite pathetic and creepy.

Hysterical? I don't see anywhere in my posts that suggests I'm hysterical lol. Why do you stick around a forum of a game you dislike heavily where 90% of your posts are attacks on FFXI? Quite pathetic and creepy.
 Odin.Tsukiya
Server: Odin
user: Tsukiji
By Odin.Tsukiya 2015-10-14 22:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It's absolutely not song lyrics, the song lyrics are saying something totally different. I'll go ahead and translate the text at the bottom.

Title: "2015 Tokyo game show special movie"

"There is a scenery I want to show you."

"There is a story I want to tell you."

"There are people I want you to protect."

"There is a world I want to run through with you."

"Thank you for 14 years."

Last screen's text:

"To thank you for prolongued patronage, we are in the midst of implementing several campaigns!"

"Vanadiel big thanks festival"
[+]
 Odin.Tsukiya
Server: Odin
user: Tsukiji
By Odin.Tsukiya 2015-10-14 22:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »

Yeah they're not song lyrics

"For you -- we made the songs"
"For you -- we made the stories"
"For you -- we made the people"
"For you -- we crafted the world"

something along those lines
(more literally "they exist for you")

Totally not what it says. Please refer to my post for a correct translation. I'm fluent.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-15 10:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »
Interpretation -> conclusion -> interpretation
Is that a 3 step skillchain in 14?
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-10-15 13:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Katsuras said: »
A game that launched at a time when player retention was not a serious issue and that peaked at 500k subs, that cost 15 million to make and that had laughably small running costs (FFXI) will make more money than one that:

Cost 100million at a bare minimum, that has high running costs (huge dev team compared to XI, regional servers and all the staff that goes with that) and that has serious player retention issues with a subscription base that neer exceeded 630k?

You are saying this stuff, but you haven't backed up any of it. Please provide some support that FFXIV cost over 100m dollars.

Even if it did, that would maybe put it in the top-5 most-expensive MMOs. Maybe. And it'd be below SWTOR, WoW, and Elder Scrolls Online.