Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-13 06:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cause competition was less back in the days.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-13 06:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

No it's not the same cause the era is different. If XIV came out in 2001 it would have likely had WoW numbers. XI has never been a game for the average gamer, it's quite peculiar and thus not for everyone.

Post deleted by User.
By Aeyela 2015-10-13 06:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

SE have posted detailed financial data that has pointed to a steady increase in profits since 2.0, profits that will have hiked dramatically from Heavensward. Look forward to the financial report for 2015 as it will incorporate that and all their cash shop pushing in recent months.

XI was good for SE and made them lots of money. It's probably still making them money. But XIV will out gross XI in the same period of time whether you accept it or not. Move on and live your life, XI is still here and won't be going anywhere for awhile yet.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-13 06:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Katsuras said: »
Also XIV has horrible retention issues compared to XI. it was unheard of for XI players to just take a break for months at a time...that however is commonplace in XIV.
Era and systems are different. If you ignore essential parts of the equation the conversation is meaningless.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-10-13 06:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This thing still goin? Even the title was wrong....
By Aeyela 2015-10-13 06:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
This thing still goin? Even the title was wrong....

Classic XI vs XIV, of course it's still going.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-10-13 06:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

true strike
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-10-13 07:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering the recent changes to UI and game mechanics and the fact that they managed to pull out another expansion while the game has already been going downhill, just imagine what this game would have become today if it was initially developed for PC and wasn't robbed of its budget and man power to make one of the greatest failures in the gaming industy of all times... (and then, robbed even more to save face.)

Edit: Watching them add many things they repeatedly claimed to be impossible in the past, I feel like they just don't want FFXI to fade away. I mean, they are struggling with the tiny team and budget they are given. Or maybe I am just too optimistic when it comes to this game and it is just a pack of candies to keep us busy while they are packing their stuff in the dev floor (yeah, I know, it isn't dying yet).

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-13 10:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The expansion didn't sell all that well, like 90k units in Japan were sold and it was well below ESO sales figures worldwide.

Just wat
[+]
By Aeyela 2015-10-13 11:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It tickles me when somebody claims to have read something, then throws out a bunch of statistics pulled from their arse that the very same thing they claim to have read contradicts.

Nobody is defending XIV even remotely as hard as you're trying to slate it. Give it up, lad. You're embarrassing yourself.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-10-13 11:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Also again, XI cost 15 million to make and subs capped at 500k. XIV cost hundreds of millions to make and capped well under 1 million subs. Also XIV has horrible retention issues compared to XI. it was unheard of for XI players to just take a break for months at a time...that however is commonplace in XIV.

I want to jump in here- even World of Warcraft now has horrible retention issues. They have lost over 50% of their subscriber base in the last 6-8 months. That number will likely be over 70% before the next expansion. Subscription-based MMOs are facing tough competition from F2P games and MOBAs. These are the times we live in, and retention issues are not unique to FFXIV.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-13 12:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You keep ignoring the era we live in. That is a MAJOR factor in the retention problem of all current mmos. That is why WOW has been mentioned, cause even the manifest of a successful mmo isn't holding up as strong as once in the modern world.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-13 12:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet you keep coming back to reply my posts, you care more than you think you do it seems. Which statics would you like me to prove, they are all available from a quick google search. JP Heavensward sales figures for the first week and since then are abysmal. Chinese XIV was a failure from the mouth of Yoshisa. I'll post all the links if you think I'm lying.

Does this include digital sales? Most of the expansion sales are not physical discs.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-13 12:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't agree with you cause you ignore completely that success is relative to the time and outside conditions.

If you launched XI today it would fail miserably.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-13 12:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't matter, you can buy the digital upgrade through the mog station for PC and PSN for PS3/4. Does it track those or just the physical copies sold in stores?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-13 12:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Most players just upgrade through the mog station with the digital expansion instead of buying the physical copy, you get your download right as it's available without having to wait for your package to arrive. If it doesn't take that into account then your sales numbers are off by a huge amount.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-10-13 13:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Also again, XI cost 15 million to make and subs capped at 500k. XIV cost hundreds of millions to make and capped well under 1 million subs. Also XIV has horrible retention issues compared to XI. it was unheard of for XI players to just take a break for months at a time...that however is commonplace in XIV.

I want to jump in here- even World of Warcraft now has horrible retention issues. They have lost over 50% of their subscriber base in the last 6-8 months. That number will likely be over 70% before the next expansion. Subscription-based MMOs are facing tough competition from F2P games and MOBAs. These are the times we live in, and retention issues are not unique to FFXIV.

Nobody was talking about wow, this was about XI and XIV. XIV does not have the retention that made XI a success with the sub numbers it had, this is well known and you know that which is why you went on about wow. Even the games defenders aren't playing it and an expansion was only released a short time ago.

You missed the point. So ESO went B2P. SWTOR went F2P. The Secret World went F2P. WoW has lost over half of its subscribers. The whole MMO industry is facing subscriber retention issues, without exception.

As for WoW, well wow can afford to lose 50% of its subscribers because at their worst point they still have 10 times the subscriber numbers XIV had at it's highest point.

No, they don't. If you look at Activision's financials, and make some reasonable assumptions, WoW is at around 2.5-4 million full-priced subs. Comparing that to S-E's financials, you get a subscriber base of around 2-4 times that of FFXIV. Blizzard can maybe afford this because they have drastically-reduced the amount of content that they develop for WoW (thereby cutting costs). I doubt they can afford to hit sub-2m subs, though, which is where they are headed.

If you have a game like XI that was cheap to make and run it's not such a big issue, since XIV is one of the most expensive mmo titles ever made, not so much.

Do you have numbers for XIV development costs? Or are you just guessing? I don't doubt that XIV was expensive but I do doubt that it was as much as ESO ($200m+) or SWTOR ($500m+).

I do generally agree with you regarding FFXI and FFXIV. S-E DID starve XI players of content and used XI sub money to finance XIV's revamp. It was pretty shameful but they are clearly trying to herd us to XIV.

As far as XIV, I'll defend the game, because as someone who played 1.0, and who has played nearly every MMO released in the last dozen years, it's improved so much that it's the best MMO out there now. However, I'm not currently subbed, even though for Legacy it's only $10/mo. The game doesn't feel rewarding to me after XI.
By Aeyela 2015-10-13 13:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet you keep coming back to reply my posts, you care more than you think you do it seems. Which statics would you like me to prove, they are all available from a quick google search. JP Heavensward sales figures for the first week and since then are abysmal. Chinese XIV was a failure from the mouth of Yoshisa. I'll post all the links if you think I'm lying.

Of course I care. That's why I'm taking the time to reply to you constantly. But about what? About having conversations on the forums! Not about XIV - I'm just being objective. Whether XIV succeeds or fails is something I could not give less ***about. You're just assuming that because I'm not on this "XIV sucks and it's the devil" bandwagon that I have a biased interest in it but that's not the case.

If it makes you feel better, I could join your side of the argument and post dozens of reasons why I think XIV sucks? There's no fun to be had in a debate if you're on the same side as everyone else!

Don't overlook this either:

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Most players just upgrade through the mog station with the digital expansion instead of buying the physical copy, you get your download right as it's available without having to wait for your package to arrive. If it doesn't take that into account then your sales numbers are off by a huge amount.
By CapnCrass 2015-10-13 19:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Why would I want yours, I have my own

Why not both?!
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-10-13 19:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats taking so long to post these links?