Asura.Ccl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-10-12 15:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
Asura.Ccl said: »
Turn 5 is harder than Alex 1 Normal, and 200k not 2m.

Harder in difficulty? Yes. Harder to access? No. If you just bought the game, including the expansion, you have a lot of content to work through before accessing the new stuff. As for subscribers, SE seem to think they have more characters than you think they do. They're wrong and you're right, though, I'm sure. =)

It's not what I think, it's the number they posted.

http://i.imgur.com/6ax1Wyr.png

I doubt 10% or less cleared the easiest content to do at lvl 60.
By Aeyela 2015-10-12 15:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhuh, but you've twice ignored valid points regarding its relativity. Can't be bothered to argue with an XI fanboy, cheerio. Escha NMs to kill!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-12 15:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dravidian said: »
There is nothing wrong with blindly defending XIV
There is, as well as any other game, activity, event, or fact of life in general.

Lack of objectivity hampers improvement and progress.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-10-12 15:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Sylph.Dravidian said: »
There is nothing wrong with blindly defending XIV
There is, as well as any other game, activity, event, or fact of life in general.

Lack of objectivity hampers improvement and progress.

Not true. When it comes to YOUR entertainment, you can blindly follow it all you want to further enjoy YOUR entertainment. When you blindly follow XIV though and try to use wrong information to support the game, that is a different story. Unless you somehow feel that someones enjoyment is far less superior than how you think they should enjoy something, your earlier post would contradict this though since you think feelings of a game being shutdown is validation that the game is going to be shutdown.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-10-12 15:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ackeron said: »
I'm holding out that this Vanadiel project ends up with a huge surprise of at the end of rhapsody it shows a trailer for FFXI-2 >_>

I would run naked around the whole town screaming Ohohoho!... Ok, I wouldn't but that would be amazing. Sadly, we all know it won't happen.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-12 15:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Blindly support it is not the same as blindly defending.
 Sylph.Dravidian
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-10-12 15:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Blindly support it is not the same as blindly defending.

What? One can intertwine with the other while also being the byproduct of one.

You are correct though, support and defend are two different words.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-12 15:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You can support a game without denying the bad sides. Blindly defending it on all accounts is absolutely detrimental because it doesn't allow it to grow from its flaws.

For example, XIV dev team postponed the postHW update to november which is quite ridiculous...and yet people clap and cheer like it's an awesome move.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-10-12 15:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You can support a game without denying the bad sides. Blindly defending it on all accounts is absolutely detrimental because it doesn't allow it to grow from its flaws.

For example, XIV dev team postponed the postHW update to november which is quite ridiculous...and yet people clap and cheer like it's an awesome move.

You can absolutely support a game without denying the bad sides, but you can also blindly enjoy something without knowing the flaws or how terrible it is etc. Because ultimately it is YOUR prerogative to do so, not someone else. Again, and the part I think you aren't getting from my posts, you cannot blindly follow something like XIV though and then argue things like it's success when the person arguing doesn't really have a clue because all they have done is blindly follow.
 Asura.Ccl
Server: Asura
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-10-12 15:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhuh, but you've twice ignored valid points regarding its relativity. Can't be bothered to argue with an XI fanboy, cheerio. Escha NMs to kill!

You believe 90% are busy leveling ?
By Ackeron 2015-10-12 15:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You believe 90% are busy leveling ?
honestly I wouldn't be surprised if 90% were still leveling. There are a lot of dumb people out there.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-12 15:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of people who find other things interesting too, like crafting or role playing

Not to mention the non-60s

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-12 19:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Look, there is no greater defender of FFXI than I am, and I think my street cred for that is pretty well established, so maybe some of you will listen when I say:

Sylph.Katsuras said: »
It would still have large player numbers if not for incompetence.

This just isn't true. The game was always rather niche, as the combat system is both more passive (auto attacks matter!) and more complicated (swapping gear matters!) than the average MMO player is interested in. It has held up astoundingly well due to a combination of art style chosen, the depth of the combat system/itemization, and a collection of unique/rare features (multiple jobs on the same character!).

It was always going to end, though, and it was always going to end like this. Everyone thought the game was kaput before Adoulin, and we managed to get almost three more years out of it, but it's over. It will wind down, so we should enjoy the ride while it's here, because it is still enjoyable, but we need to stop pretending that if they just made a marketing push or closed down XIV that server pops would break 2000 again.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2015-10-12 20:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

How is that pretending though? Are you really gonna say that if they advertised after a revamp they wouldn't obtain more subscribers? Seems a bit unrealistic. If that was the case why are they even doing a mobile port? It isn't ended, its just taking a new form I guess you could say.

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-12 20:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
How is that pretending though? Are you really gonna say that if they advertised after a revamp they wouldn't obtain more subscribers? Seems a bit unrealistic. If that was the case why are they even doing a mobile port? It isn't ended, its just taking a new form I guess you could say.

I don't think a marketing blitz would help, no. You might get a month out of people, but the game is ancient. Even though it's aged well (and it has!), a subscription MMO has a much harder road these days, and XI is still kind of daunting to newbies, especially mechanically.

I don't really consider the upcoming mobile port to be FFXI. It'll have the world and lore (which is excellent!), but they're not going to have things like gear swapping unless they give you an interface for equipment sets that basically duplicates GearSwap. Mid-combat gear swapping was the secret sauce for FFXI (even as it likely drove some people away). A shiny new FF MMO with all the elements of the FF mythos, multiple jobs per character, and no gear swapping is already out there, you know.

Post deleted by User.
By Ackeron 2015-10-12 20:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If they want to reel in subs more they would need a huge update like FFXIV 1.0 to 2.0.

I'm not talking about making it FFXIV I just mean they would need to do something huge and have to repush it out like they did FFXIV. It can work and I would totally get an updated version of FFXI.

I've honestly been super surprised how much they have changed and updated in the last few months. I mean so much has been done AFTER they announced they will be stopping updates this year.

- Gear Sets
- Lock Style
- Multi LS
- NPC Factions
- Moveable windows.
- New upgrade systems.
- New Battle Systems
- Spin off game announcements.
- Probably more crap I missed.

So many improvements. It's one of the main reasons I am holding out for a FFXI-2 they are doing too much work with this to just toss it under the bus.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-12 20:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt they'd do it with such an old game. Too much money for too few people returning (and new ones) to play
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-12 20:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lockstyle is by far the best glamour system I've ever seen in an MMO. Incentivizes accomplishment (have to be able to wear things!) and doesn't have a stupid gil/gold/whatever sink component.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-12 21:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

They did the gil sink part for it so people can always profit off it

You can make the prisms for 500 gil if you make them yourself, you don't have to spend 5k+ since it's a very simple synth

It's like food in 11, it's always gonna be needed
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-12 21:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
They did the gil sink part for it so people can always profit off it

You can make the prisms for 500 gil if you make them yourself, you don't have to spend 5k+ since it's a very simple synth

It's like food in 11, it's always gonna be needed

XIV Glamour is XI Lockstyle on a tight leash. No cross-job gear, have to bind to the object itself, etc. The money isn't the part that's annoying, it's the restrictions.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-12 21:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I do agree on the restrictions, it seems like they're starting to ease some of them at least. In 3.1 we're getting multislot glamour so you can wear gear that takes up more than one slot (hooded robes etc)

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-12 21:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would I want yours, I have my own