New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI @ TGS 2015 - Farewell video
FFXI @ TGS 2015 - Farewell video
First Page 2 3 4 5
By fillerbunny9 2015-10-13 20:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

the translated video is not 100% accurate, as the final message is literally "14th year also, thank you". so they're basically saying thank you for sticking with them these 14 years.

people can return to arguing over the virtues/lack thereof of FFXI vs FFXIV now.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-10-13 20:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

He already posted a few links, you guys are attacking him so hard when hes is pretty much correct.

I don't see what the big deal about subscription MMOs are. I do understand the market is changing and people are going away from subs but these are the same scrubs that dump 60 dollars onto the next madden game that is the SAME ***as the last one with updated stats/characters to use? These people are such hypocrites lol. They spend more on things they don't need or games they will play for a short time than they would being subbed to an MMO, so I don't really understand. Most of those freebie games have a lot restrictions and don't have what a full MMO can offer.

Quote:
As far as XIV, I'll defend the game, because as someone who played 1.0, and who has played nearly every MMO released in the last dozen years, it's improved so much that it's the best MMO out there now. However, I'm not currently subbed, even though for Legacy it's only $10/mo. The game doesn't feel rewarding to me after XI.

This just makes me laugh.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-10-13 20:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

He hasn't posted any accurate links of HW sales. VGchartz has never, ever been accurate and doesn't include digital sales, which we all know make up the vast majority of all expansion sales. So no, he isn't "pretty much correct," he is making things up and passing them off as fact.
By Draylo 2015-10-13 20:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What is he making up? That was one point, hes made multiple ones. It's a fact they didn't have over 1m subs considering SE said they had that number from all of their MMO's combined. He has made good points.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-10-13 20:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides the fact that he is making up HW failing, he also just made up 14 being one of the most expensive MMOs to make, while also omitting the important context of the difference of cost between making a game in 2001 and today. I would like to see him back that claim up, because I don't think SE has ever shared that information. I know ESO cost 200m+, Destiny cost 200+m, SWTOR cost 400+m.

He is also trying to make a point that XI has made more than 14 and 14 won't catch it, which is a huge assumption. Of course a game that has been out for 14 years will have made more than a game thats been out for 2+. Thats not a point in XI's favor. Its an assumption that 14 won't catch up to XI.
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-10-13 20:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on what you mean by failing. It didn't fail in a sense that they still made money, but it didn't reach expectations that even SE had for it.

I also think you are ignoring how expensive XIV really was to make. Did you maybe forget about 1.0? I'm not supporting him in saying it was the most expensive MMO to make, because I realistically don't know, but just assuming the average MMO costs X amount of money to make, and SE did it twice for 1 game.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2015-10-13 21:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Doesn't matter, you can buy the digital upgrade through the mog station for PC and PSN for PS3/4. Does it track those or just the physical copies sold in stores?
I'm not sure they even sell physical copies outside of the SE store (and outside of the pre orders)... I was going to buy a PS4 copy of heavensward since I have gift cards to burn but I've yet to see it when I've been at a gamestop.
By Zubis 2015-10-13 21:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
VGchartz has never, ever been accurate and doesn't include digital sales, which we all know make up the vast majority of all expansion sales. So no, he isn't "pretty much correct," he is making things up and passing them off as fact.

SteamSpy helps out a bit these days with digital sales on Steam at least. But it doesn't include expansions as you mentioned.

Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-13 22:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Who on Earth plays FFXI on Steam
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-13 22:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

XIV on steam sucks too apparently, I don't think most people play it that way
By Zubis 2015-10-13 22:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »

300K people according to SteamSpy :P

But yeah point noted, I bought the game through Steam but never once used the Steam version to actually play.
By Artemicion 2015-10-13 23:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if windower.net has a download count to help fill in the gaps a bit. Though that'd still be an inaccurate number since there's people who occasionally need to reinstall or simply update it.

On that note, I'd be cool if there was a way to integrate steam overlay with windower launcher.
By Aeyela 2015-10-14 02:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
XIV on steam sucks too apparently, I don't think most people play it that way

The problem with XIV on Steam is they wouldn't let people register their 1.0 codes and download 2.0 from them. Anyone playing through Steam will likely be people who started from 2.0 onwards unless they bought the rights to the game again.
By Aeyela 2015-10-14 02:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
He already posted a few links

Every link he's posted has no source for their numbers and are just more statistics pulled out of the arse, much like most of what he's posting. The first link (where XI was 31st) was a random user's profile with zero links to where they obtained the data. You call that proof? Compare that to SE's stock market report for 2014, where they're legally obligated to provide as much transparency as possible for their shareholders... If that's your definition of proof then I pity you.

The amusing point is that at no point has anybody actually madly defended XIV. We're just calling someone so desperate to externalize his hatred for XIV on his ***. Yet, you insist (along with him, hmm...) on accusing us of "defending it hard".

At this point it says more about you two than it does any of us. Nobody's taking your XI from you Draylo. Chill out.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-14 03:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I bought it on Steam but I launch the game through Windower, does that count?
By Draylo 2015-10-14 03:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
He already posted a few links

Every link he's posted has no source for their numbers and are just more statistics pulled out of the arse, much like most of what he's posting. The first link (where XI was 31st) was a random user's profile with zero links to where they obtained the data. You call that proof? Compare that to SE's stock market report for 2014, where they're legally obligated to provide as much transparency as possible for their shareholders... If that's your definition of proof then I pity you.

Um not true, in that very link it has a reference at the top which links to a wikia with a Fiscal year report. It only goes to 2011 but it still proves his point. It wasn't the only link he posted either.

Quote:
The amusing point is that at no point has anybody actually madly defended XIV. We're just calling someone so desperate to externalize his hatred for XIV on his ***. Yet, you insist (along with him, hmm...) on accusing us of "defending it hard".

At this point it says more about you two than it does any of us. Nobody's taking your XI from you Draylo. Chill out.

Don't try to bring me into your little argument, I have said nothing except one line to "defend" him lol(also hmm, if you're suggesting hes my sock account you are one gigantic idiot.) I also never typed anything remotely close in this thread that is accusing people of defending it. I'm hardly pretending like anyone is trying to take away XI nor do I need to chill out. I think you are trying way too hard atm.
By Aeyela 2015-10-14 03:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

if you're suggesting hes my sock account you are one gigantic idiot.)

lol wat, and I'm the one trying too hard...
By Draylo 2015-10-14 03:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Try reading your posts and you'll see? I don't know how else to take that little "along with him, hmm..." so maybe you could explain?

You are trying to make it seem like I'm going on some kind of tirade when I made one post in support for him and that's pretty much it. How exactly are you getting the idea that I feel someone is "taking my XI" from me and where do you read posts that suggest I feel people are "defending it hard"?

You really are trying too hard, quickly responding and hastily editing your post to get a quick jab. You really aren't making sense.
By Aeyela 2015-10-14 03:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Try reading your posts and you'll see? I don't know how else to take that little "along with him, hmm..." so maybe you could explain?

It says an awful lot about you that that's what you took from that, lol. Explain? Nah. What's the point? You've told me enough about you to know that any continuation of this discussion with you is pointless. Ta ta.

You really are trying too hard, quickly responding and hastily editing your post to get a quick jab. You really aren't making sense.

Actually, I corrected a grammatical error, but since nobody can see what the post originally said, good job scoring a free point. Now you really are trying too hard but continue to act like it's me. ;)
By Draylo 2015-10-14 03:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the part where you look like you are trying too hard. Acting smug and being vague to try and make it seem like you "won" in some fashion. Don't try to bring me into your debate and accuse me of typing things that I didn't type.
By Luminohelix 2015-10-14 04:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll end this shenanigan! FFXI > FFXIV Nothing to it. Its like comparing a 1966 mustang to a 2015 mustang. Yes, the new one is nice and everyone likes , because it has so many new features, but damm everyone knows the 1966 is the better one regardless if its old! Also you guys need hugs <3 :3 *hugs*

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-14 05:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I won't be surprised if XIV will end up scooping up more money than XI has, however whether the comparative net gain will be higher I don't know. And that is because XIV will very doubtfully last as long..or rather it'll probably evolve into something else which is really hard to hypothesize.
By Draylo 2015-10-14 05:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that is hard to say, I doubt it will last as long as a sub based game like XI did though. XI is even coming out into the mobile market with a possible F2P/cash shop thing so that would add to their gains as well.
By Aeyela 2015-10-14 05:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Katsuras said: »
Since you aren't a XIV defender let me ask you some things then. I'm almost certain you won't accept any of these things.

"Here's your chance to to say I'm right, but I bet you won't". Well obviously, because you've posted several glaringly incorrect 'facts' with no citation. But I'll respond to your individual points nonetheless.

Do you now accept that XIV has never had subs above 1m?

Yes, it's highly unlikely it did. But there's no proof it did and there's no proof it didn't so who can be sure? I'd also like to point out that I never said it did have 1m subs. I said it has over 1m characters - something both the census and their financial reports state. At no point did I draw any correlations between this and active subscriptions, other than providing relativity by suggesting there's less cause for mules on XIV than XI.

Do you accept that the game has not grown since launch but shrunk?

Yes, it has shrunk and for good reason. Never denied it and never will.

Do you accept that the game has a massive budget and was made twice which ballooned it to astronomical levels?

Yes. It's obviously got a bigger budget because they were very intent on making it successful following the debacle of 1.0 - but does that hold back its cash flow now? They did a good job of turning 1.0 round and manifesting it into 2.0 and it's now generating a steady surplus of cash. Given enough time, there's no reason why it won't produce huge profits. It's already turning a yearly profit but yes, offset by the loss of 1.0, they have a way to go. Nobody's denying that!

(keep in mind the game nearly destroyed Square and caused tons of people to lose their jobs)

It's well documented that several of the original 1.0 team lost their jobs as a result of how ***it was, but I believe your implication is it cost people jobs outside of that? If so, citation needed.

A game that launched at a time when player retention was not a serious issue and that peaked at 500k subs, that cost 15 million to make and that had laughably small running costs (FFXI) will make more money than one that:

Cost 100million at a bare minimum, that has high running costs (huge dev team compared to XI, regional servers and all the staff that goes with that) and that has serious player retention issues with a subscription base that neer exceeded 630k?

I accept that XIV has not made the money XI has, but I don't accept that it won't. Ten years is a long time and today's gaming market has a lot more money being thrown around. Will it beat XI? Who can say. But with the gains it's currently making it's on course to.

You keep saying you aren't a defender and you don't really care but I don't see you moving one millimeter from your laughable statements either. Please prove me wrong and do so.

I replied to your civil approach with civility, but I will not humour your personal attacks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is the part where you look like you are trying too hard. Acting smug and being vague to try and make it seem like you "won" in some fashion. Don't try to bring me into your debate and accuse me of typing things that I didn't type.

I'm not being smug and I don't think I won. I just know when to stop bothering, dude.
By Aeyela 2015-10-14 06:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that is hard to say, I doubt it will last as long as a sub based game like XI did though. XI is even coming out into the mobile market with a possible F2P/cash shop thing so that would add to their gains as well.

My biggest concern with the mobile XI is how much they'll potentially water it down. For example, will it be access to the full game we have now, or will a lot of the core features we enjoy be omitted? I can see it being wildly successful if it's near enough a full port, but less so if lots of things are missing. In the latter case it will be largely nostalgia that drives people to get it, rather than the product itself. With such a port it would be difficult to lure new players as well, but with the complete XI package they could tap into the mobile gaming market that will include people who have never touched an MMO before. Potentially lucrative!

I just wish they'd done something like it sooner, but I suppose it all comes back to their continued support of the console versions.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-10-14 06:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fantasy Grandmasters is nothing like FFXI. It is very fun though.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-10-14 06:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
Final Fantasy Grandmasters is nothing like FFXI. It is very fun though.

It is only a spin-off though. The main remake is still in the works (I hope) which was officially called "FFXI Native App" for now.

It is a bit strange that there is still no announcement about that one...

Edit: The most recent article I could find about it was posted in June: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/26/hows-that-mobile-version-of-final-fantasy-xi-coming-along/

According to that article, Yoshida had told them he had seen a working version (I believe something like a tech demo). Better than nothing, I guess.
[+]
By Aeyela 2015-10-14 06:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vinedrius said: »
It is only a spin-off though. The main remake is still in the works (I hope) which was officially called "FFXI Native App" for now.

It is a bit strange that there is still no announcement about that one...

I imagine it's the same as the proposed XIV mobile app, "Please look forward to it". Hopefully we'll hear about it just before or after the November patch.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-10-14 06:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's just hope it doesn't get stuck in development hell.

When I read the article is was reported they were the same game, Kotaku has since retracted that here