Gay Marriage Now Legal Across The US

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 14
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-26 12:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Did they solve the cake pizza conundrum?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
No, it was never stipulated that those are the only two rules. Those are the greatest rules according to Jesus.

Drama Torama said: »
Everything else is a natural extension of those two.

Yeah, well, natural extension can mean a whole lot to different people. There are rules that are certainly more spelled out than that.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-26 12:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it was never stipulated that those are the only two rules. Those are the greatest rules according to Jesus.

Yeah, but His loathing of the Pharisees was built around their love of using the rules to justify various behaviors; I think His words can be reasonably interpreted to mean "Love God and don't be an ***. Nothing else really matters."

Reasonable people can disagree on this, though.

[Edit: seriously, I think we're arguing split hairs on the same point, and basically agree.]
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-26 12:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Everything else is a natural extension of those two.

Yeah, well, natural extension can mean a whole lot to different people. There are rules that are certainly more spelled out than that.

Are you honestly expecting anything more than ambiguity when it comes to a thousands-of-years-old religion?
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-06-26 12:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

By Jetackuu 2015-06-26 12:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

according to Christianity
Not according to "Jesus", according to the "bible."
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
The people who rely on the Bible alone to make that judgment certainly have to stretch, so I'll give you that.

Respectfully, what else could a Christian use to make that judgement?

Most have nothing, aside from a general ban on premarital relations which encompassed homosexuality as a whole in the States. Now that gay marriage is a thing, that doesn't pan out so it pretty much just boils down to an interpretation of Leviticus for the Bible-only churches.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically, you take this:

And get this:
"Love God and don't be an ***. Nothing else really matters."

I guess the only question remains: Is it a better story than Twilight?
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-26 12:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with all this, I STILL can't equip a wedding ring crafted for me by a Mithra.

What the hell, SE.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-26 12:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
When my parents got married, my mother's church denied the marriage because my father wasn't the same denomination of Christian as my mother.

I took this as religion trying to prevent me from being born. Let it be known that Han Religion shot first.

They sure are fickle about the little lambs that are invited to join the flock aren't they? They have a tendency to alienate their own.

Some denominations will deny heterosexual marriages among their own congregation if a spouse won't convert.

Some denominations will deny christenings/baptisms among their own congregation if their child was born out of wedlock/the spouse won't convert.

Either my pastor was very progressive during my confirmation studies or the Missouri Synod moved way to the right in little over a decade. My conclusion from the experience was, despite what I was taught, baptisms really aren't about the child. What a nice revelation!
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-06-26 12:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
So basically, you take this:

And get this:
"Love God and don't be an ***. Nothing else really matters."

I guess the only question remains: Is it a better story than Twilight?

If you count Song of Solomon, yes.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-26 12:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Scott Walker is on it.

Quote:
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, seizing the moment after the Supreme Court’s landmark ruling legalizing same-sex marriage, called Friday for a Constitutional amendment that would allow the states to decide whether gay marriage should be legal.

Walker’s call came shortly after the high court ruled 5-4 that same-sex couples could marry across the country, overturning a number of state same-sex marriage bans.

The ruling was “a grave mistake,” the Republican governor said, touting his support for amending his state’s constitution “to protect the institution of marriage from exactly this type of judicial activism.”

“As a result of this decision, the only alternative left for the American people is to support an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to reaffirm the ability of the states to continue to define marriage,” Walker said in the statement.
Scott Walker calls for Constitutional amendment to let states define marriage
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-26 12:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what they say about those who protest too strongly about homosexuality and rights of same....
By barkley1 2015-06-26 12:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I accept all people, but I don't necessarily agree with everyone's lifestyles.

Love my cousins, etc, but don't really agree with everything they do, straight or gay.

I accept Blacks, Mexicans, Whites etc, but that does not mean I agree with their lifestyles as individuals.

I don't agree with same sex relations cause it ain't right.

When I say "aint" right i mean you need different tools to get the job done. Can't build a house with the same tools.

The purpose of sex is reproduction regardless of how the younger generations attempt to get around while preventing it (Not talking about gays here).

However, it is not my place to tell someone how to live cause I am only flesh. I have no say in gay marriage, not my place.

I mean...i am only attracted to ghetto booty, anything other than that just does not do it for me (Being serious, slimmys does not excite me if ya get my drift), but i digress.....

Although I think same sex relations is strange(From a logical stand point), I wholly accept the individual and let all my co-workers, acquaintances, relatives, etc know that.

One of my relatives came out, had no idea cause we hung out dating females.......so I was like "Whoa..." (I know gay guys whom did date the opposite sex which confuses me).

But they know i will always accept and love them as individuals, regardless of my feelings towards their sexual preference.

Don't and never had a say-so in this topic cause it ain't my place, why do i care? My job is to treat everyone with equality regardless of our differences. Not everyone will be a "barkley1" -esque/clones, I know this.

just my humble opinion, not gonna jump into the flame wars going on, hopefully it cools down, peace.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, there's no way that would pass ratification.

letitgo.gif
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-26 12:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, there's no way that would pass ratification.

letitgo.gif
Any chance he had, is out the window now doing this.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-26 12:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

How can people even take that seriously? It is such naked, cynical pandering. Not even he believes that's going to pass, does he?
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

barkley1 said: »
When I say "aint" right i mean you need different tools to get the job done. Can't build a house with the same tools.
Point of order, you can build a house without any tools whatsoever.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-06-26 12:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-26 12:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Although the majority randomly inserts the adjective “two” in various places, it offers no reason at all why the two-person element of the core definition of marriage may be preserved while the man-woman element may not. Indeed, from the standpoint of history and tradition, a leap from opposite-sex marriage to same-sex marriage is much greater than one from a two-person union to plural unions, which have deep roots in some cultures around the world. If the majority is willing to take the big leap, it is hard to see how it can say no to the shorter one. It is striking how much of the majority’s reasoning would apply with equal force to the claim of a fundamental right to plural marriage.

Chief justice John Roberts.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, but you can't film an episode of Jersey Shore without any tools, so maybe that would have been a better analogy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Quote:
Although the majority randomly inserts the adjective “two” in various places, it offers no reason at all why the two-person element of the core definition of marriage may be preserved while the man-woman element may not. Indeed, from the standpoint of history and tradition, a leap from opposite-sex marriage to same-sex marriage is much greater than one from a two-person union to plural unions, which have deep roots in some cultures around the world. If the majority is willing to take the big leap, it is hard to see how it can say no to the shorter one. It is striking how much of the majority’s reasoning would apply with equal force to the claim of a fundamental right to plural marriage.

Chief justice John Roberts.

Yup, I see that as the next step.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-06-26 12:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
A real marriage is only between a MAN and as much property as he can afford to support.
Fixed.

And that's STATED in the Bible, the Torah, and the Koran.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-26 12:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

No, but I have a hell of a lot of fun trying ^^
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-26 12:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The concept of disagreeing with someone's choices or way of living yet still recognizing that it isn't your (I mean "you" and "your" in the general sense) right to deny it seems to be beyond people.

An example:

[Mod edit: can't have that language in pictures. --Rooks]

I obviously disagree with this message and the way it's presented, but freedom of speech is for everyone even if I don't like the message.

That doesn't give people the right to disrupt the lives of others, or try to pass religious laws in the secular world. We don't need a Christian version of Shariah, thanks.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
A real marriage is only between a MAN and as much property as he can afford to support.
Fixed.

And that's STATED in the Bible, the Torah, and the Koran.

And the odds of you being able to cite where are slim to none.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-26 12:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
The church takes the bible pretty serious, especially leviticus.

Not even close. Churches take the parts they like and throw out the rest. I've attended church out of interest throughout my life and I've yet to hear a priest/minister/preacher teach Leviticus outside of condemning gays. contraception, and homosexuality. What's more, most churches I've attended teach things directly in opposition to the teachings of Christ.

I cannot figure out where this perceived persecution of religion is coming from, because in every single case concerning religious establishments, they've come out on top regardless of the situation.

I'd also like to point out that if any secular organization was responsible for allowing and covering up rampant sexual assault of children, the DoJ would have come in with a blowtorch.

Luckily you won't have to wait very long to watch the saga play out. Legislation is being generated for the upcoming political theater.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-26 12:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So who has been clammoring for plural marriage? Has there been some kind of large movement I've been missing out on?
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-26 12:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
So who has been clammoring for plural marriage? Has there been some kind of large movement I've been missing out on?

Personally I'd be fine with that...it's really up to those involved.

Not the state.
Not the church of your choice.
Not nosy Miss Williams down the block.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

Nope, but it's going to happen. Just wait.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 14