Gay Marriage Now Legal Across The US

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
First Page 2 ... 12 13 14
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-06-26 10:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gay-marriage-and-other-major-rulings-at-the-supreme-court/2015/06/25/ef75a120-1b6d-11e5-bd7f-4611a60dd8e5_story.html?tid=sm_tw

Quote:
The Supreme Court on Friday delivered a historic victory for gay rights, ruling 5 to 4 that the Constitution requires that same-sex couples be allowed to marry no matter where they live and that states may no longer reserve the right only for heterosexual couples.

The court’s action marks the culmination of an unprecedented upheaval in public opinion and the nation’s jurisprudence. Advocates called it the most pressing civil rights issue of modern times, while critics said the courts had sent the country into uncharted territory by changing the traditional definition of marriage.

This is a monumental day for LGBT rights.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-06-26 10:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

No.

For human rights.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-06-26 10:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't wait to go on facebook and get a laugh out of the bigot posts
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-06-26 11:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »

Yes. For me, the best part is reading our local news channel's posting of this on Facebook. The comments are literally a horror show. Of course, you don't have to delve that deep to hear some homophobic, Bronze Age opinions on this decision:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/26/presidential-candidates-weigh-in-on-supreme-court-same-sex-marriage-ruling/

Look at those GOP 2016 presidential candidates. What an embarrassment to our nation.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 11:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »

For all the hardcore Christian friends I have (shocking, right?) suprisingly few of them are against it at all beyond, and even those who are in principle keep it to themselves.

But that's because they're not raging *** who realize that even if their belief system does say it's bad, it's not their place to judge.

It's one thing to be against something in principle.

It's another to stand around condemning friends and family to hell because of the love they have for another person.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-06-26 11:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

A real marriage is only between a MAN and a WOMAN.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-06-26 11:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-26 11:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »

I think the supreme court would disagree, as well as almost every major nation in the world.

neener neener you lost, go pout.
 Cerberus.Laconic
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-26 11:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice to see all the people that believe their belief is right bashing on all the other people that believe their belief is right.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 11:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 11:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

I think the supreme court would disagree, as well as almost every major nation in the world.

Did you even read his second post?
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-06-26 11:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol xD

Can take out Italy, and alas many countries in the world, from that list.
Despite me being together with my boyfriend for almost 12 years, we can't marry.
We're second class citizens, we have no rights, we do not exist and sometimes we have to make sure to hide or our relations because judged inappropriate.
Many Italians would tell you that we "already have too many rights".
I know, rite?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 11:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Gay marriage being legal does nothing to do people who believe in traditional marriage. You can still choose not to go to gay weddings, espouse you believe it's wrong and rain hellfire from on throne high.

If you gay about that word freedom though, this is 'a pretty big *** deal', to quote Lord Biden of the Gaffes.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 11:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

What is this reading? I hate it.
[+]
 Odin.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2015-06-26 11:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Great news, and about time. Congratulations!
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-06-26 11:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Congrats to all the LBGT couples out there, your fight for happiness is finally over. Now we can sit back and laugh at the people that choose to take this as a defeat when in reality it will have no affect on their lives.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 11:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Because rubbing salt in the wounds is the best way to get people to see the error of their ways.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-06-26 11:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Congrats to all the LBGT couples out there, your fight for happiness is finally over. Now we can sit back and laugh at the people that choose to take this as a defeat when in reality it will have no affect on their lives.
Of course it will!
Human race will end if you allow same sex marriage.
It's as simple as that, pure logic.

It's only rights they try to defend the human race!!!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-26 11:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps I should have been more clear.

Dear Sechs, I recognize that many gays around the world are still fighting for equality. I will attempt some levity by countering your sarcasm with childish joke.

Everyone in the loop, now?
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-26 11:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Wont change much when it comes to churches and priests who wont comply for religious reasons. The government is going to have a hard time enforcing it. But as for justices of the peace, ship captains and others who are authorized more power to you.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 11:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 11:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Because rubbing salt in the wounds is the best way to get people to see the error of their ways.

If you're going to post on the Internet, don't be surprised when people respond, often in a hyperbolic manner.

About anything.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-26 11:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
Wont change much when it comes to churches and priests who wont comply for religious reasons. The government is going to have a hard time enforcing it. But as for justices of the peace, ship captains and others who are authorized more power to you.

No, but I'm going to guess that couples wouldn't want to be married by someone who doesn't approve of them anyway, so I doubt there will be much need to compel.

These types of battles are generational; the groundwork laid today means that thirty years from now, people will look at those types the same way you think about your crazy racist grandpa.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 11:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

That's fine. I personally don't believe any religious organization should be forced to do anything they don't agree with and frankly why would you patronize an organization that antagonizes you anyway?

Inb4 gay fascist cakes
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 11:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah... trying to force the churches would be a very bad move.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 11:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

If you're going to post on the Internet, don't be surprised when people respond, often in a hyperbolic manner.

About anything.

Doesn't mean I have to condone it. People who are jerks about it are just further entrenching people. If you want them to join your way of thought, try being civil.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-26 11:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The very fact that there's people who think that equal civil rights for homosexual couples is a wound is just insane.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-26 11:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Churches aren't required to marry gay couples, the government is required to recognize the legal relationship of marriage between any two consenting adults. So, gays might not be able to get married in a particular church, but every judge in the US will be required to perform same sex marriages and things like life insurance companies and hospitals are required to comply with next of kin/spousal rights.

Bigots are still free to be bigots so long as they don't occupy a government job.
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-26 12:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

No, but I'm going to guess that couples wouldn't want to be married by someone who doesn't approve of them anyway, so I doubt there will be much need to compel.

These types of battles are generational; the groundwork laid today means that thirty years from now, people will look at those types the same way you think about your crazy racist grandpa.
Well you are wrong there i imagine there are lawsuits being filed all over the country right now against religious entities trying to force them to marry gay people. Because you know, we will force our opinion on you but dont you dare try to do it to me.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-26 12:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Battling against the religious institutions is pointless, why would you want to marry in a church that doesn't approve you anyway?

Smart people will understand this is about civil rights, not changing the shape of religions.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 12 13 14