Gay Marriage Now Legal Across The US

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
First Page 2 3 4 ... 12 13 14
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Quote:
This is a naked judicial claim to legislative—indeed, super-legislative—power; a claim fundamentally at odds with our system of government. Except as limited by a constitutional prohibition agreed to by the People, the States are free to adopt whatever laws they like, even those that offend the esteemed Justices’ “reasoned judgment.” A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers does not deserve to be called a democracy.

Favorite part of Scalia's dissent
Did you know that interracial marriages have only been legal since 1967?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-26 12:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Love your neighbor?
But not in a gay kind of way.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-26 12:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
The church takes the bible pretty serious, especially leviticus.

Not even close. Churches take the parts they like and throw out the rest. I've attended church out of interest throughout my life and I've yet to hear a priest/minister/preacher teach Leviticus outside of condemning gays. contraception, and homosexuality. What's more, most churches I've attended teach things directly in opposition to the teachings of Christ.

I cannot figure out where this perceived persecution of religion is coming from, because in every single case concerning religious establishments, they've come out on top regardless of the situation.

I'd also like to point out that if any secular organization was responsible for allowing and covering up rampant sexual assault of children, the DoJ would have come in with a blowtorch.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Never mind.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Come on now you know what part i am talking about.

Precisely. They don't believe in the Old Testament as a whole, or even any specific book as a whole.

They pick and choose so they can have a target for their scorn.

Okay, so apparently you don't understand why Christian churches don't comply with the Old Testament still.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-06-26 12:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I cannot figure out where this perceived persecution of religion is coming from, because in every single case concerning religious establishments, they've come out on top regardless of the situation.

Its called fear mongering, its all they have now.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Okay, so apparently you don't understand why Christian churches don't comply with the Old Testament still.

Apparently you don't understand you can't just take parts of it that appeal to you.

Otherwise it loses all its power as a sacred text.

Not that it had any in the first place, but you can't even pretend if you don't follow the whole thing.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-26 12:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
This is a naked judicial claim to legislative—indeed, super-legislative—power; a claim fundamentally at odds with our system of government. Except as limited by a constitutional prohibition agreed to by the People, the States are free to adopt whatever laws they like, even those that offend the esteemed Justices’ “reasoned judgment.” A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers does not deserve to be called a democracy.

So when can we change the law so that we can marry immediate family, children, and multiple partners? I mean don't tell me we get to use some kind of "judgement" to discriminate against one thing or another cause clearly that's not the case today.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I cannot figure out where this perceived persecution of religion is coming from

From Jimmy.

Rustled Jimmy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently you don't understand you can't just take parts of it that appeal to you.

Otherwise it loses all its power as a sacred text.

Not that it had any in the first place, but you can't even pretend if you don't follow the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, the cherry picking of parts is a big problem. It's just that a ton of the Old Testament laws don't need to be followed anymore according to Christianity, and it has nothing to do with cherry picking.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-26 12:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If churches take Leviticus seriously, then there's gonna be trouble come Judgement Day.

Or do those churches perform sacrifices for the various offerings on the Sabbath?

Yes, yes, the New Testament changed all that, but he specifically mentioned the laws laid down in the Old.

Rules change, and for all we know one of the Bible's translators way back was a homophobe and threw all that in.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-26 12:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

They're not supposed to follow the OT at all. The whole point of the NT is that it invalidates the OT to some extent.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

So when can we change the law so that we can marry immediate family, children, and multiple partners? I mean don't tell me we get to use some kind of "judgement" to discriminate against one thing or another cause clearly that's not the case today.

If you wanna put the spurs to your sister and have genetic garbage for children, go ahead. Just know I'll call you a hypocrite if you ask for public assistance to raise your severely disabled child.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:25:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So.... the 10 commandments are out?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
Just, don't be a ***, yo."

Too hard!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-26 12:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Come on now you know what part i am talking about.

Precisely. They don't believe in the Old Testament as a whole, or even any specific book as a whole.

They pick and choose so they can have a target for their scorn.

Wormfeeder is the one who brought leviticus into this conversation.

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Battling against the religious institutions is pointless, why would you want to marry in a church that doesn't approve you anyway?

Smart people will understand this is about civil rights, not changing the shape of religions.
The problem is that a good percentage of gays in this country are religious and they will want to get married in church. The church takes the bible pretty serious, especially leviticus.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't get me wrong, the cherry picking of parts is a big problem. It's just that a ton of the Old Testament laws don't need to be followed anymore according to Christianity, and it has nothing to do with cherry picking.

...okay, well, we're discussing rules from Leviticus being taught as current, soooo...

You're not wrong. But you're failing to see why it is pertinent to the discussion at hand.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

All of them were reiterated in the New Testament to one extent or the other. And it doesn't invalidate everything from the Old Testament, mostly just the Mosaic Law.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-26 12:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I'm aware marriage in churches only has anything to do with the union being recognized by god or whatever that religion worships. I know Catholics, at least, have refused to marry heterosexual couples for a multitude of different reasons. I'm fairly certain you still have to register with the state and get a marriage license through the state for it to have any meaning legally.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-26 12:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

All of them were reiterated in the New Testament to one extent or the other. And it doesn't invalidate everything from the Old Testament, mostly just the Mosaic Law.

I don't remember Jesus saying anything about homosexuality.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So, is there a list of things that are permitted / forbidden? Because this is starting to feel like the IRS tax code.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-26 12:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Were you there that day?!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I'm fairly certain you still have to register with the state and get a marriage license through the state for it to have any meaning legally.

You do.

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I know Catholics, at least, have refused to marry heterosexual couples for a multitude of different reasons.

They do it frequently. They also will refuse to baptise babies born out of wedlock/to a second marriage for which they did not provide an anullment.

This all depends upon the specific priest, more or less, and how stringent his beliefs and interpretations are.

Father Kuba told my mother-in-law to get the *** out when she tried to get the twins baptised. But I know that subsequent to him, Father Phil was a pretty open-minded fella.

He even discussed the Life of Brian with me.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-26 12:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus loved everyone, so I'm fairly sure he'd have been OK with it.

I mean, he didn't even condemn those who crucified him and betrayed him. Two strangers of the same gender wishing to formalize their union really shouldn't be a blip on the radar.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-26 12:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

So, is there a list of things that are permitted / forbidden? Because this is starting to feel like the IRS tax code.

The point of the NT was to simplifiy it. Two rules, now: Love God, love your neighbor as yourself. That's it. Everything else is a natural extension of those two.

The New Testament on the whole can be boiled down to: Jesus was a cool guy, gave us simpler rules, and had to die so that his dad wouldn't send us all to Hell.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The people who rely on the Bible alone to make that judgment certainly have to stretch, so I'll give you that.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-26 12:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Were you there that day?!

Must have been a day I was out gambling and having pre-marital sex.

The people who rely on the Bible alone to make that judgment certainly have to stretch, so I'll give you that.

Respectfully, what else could a Christian use to make that judgement?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The point of the NT was to simplifiy it. Two rules, now: Love God, love your neighbor as yourself. That's it. Everything else is a natural extension of those two.

The New Testament on the whole can be boiled down to: Jesus was a cool guy, gave us simpler rules, and had to die so that his dad wouldn't send us all to Hell.

No, it was never stipulated that those are the only two rules. Those are the greatest rules according to Jesus.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it was never stipulated that those are the only two rules. Those are the greatest rules according to Jesus.

Everything else is a natural extension of those two.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 12 13 14