Gay Marriage Now Legal Across The US

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-26 12:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
Drama Torama said: »
Wont change much when it comes to churches and priests who wont comply for religious reasons. The government is going to have a hard time enforcing it. But as for justices of the peace, ship captains and others who are authorized more power to you.

No, but I'm going to guess that couples wouldn't want to be married by someone who doesn't approve of them anyway, so I doubt there will be much need to compel.

These types of battles are generational; the groundwork laid today means that thirty years from now, people will look at those types the same way you think about your crazy racist grandpa.
Well you are wrong there i imagine there are lawsuits being filed all over the country right now against religious entities trying to force them to marry gay people. Because you know, we will force our opinion on you but dont you dare try to do it to me.
lol...

Go wet your pants somewhere else.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 12:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
The very fact that there's people who think that equal civil rights for homosexual couples is a wound is just insane.

Same lot who don't believe in interracial marriage.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Wont change much when it comes to churches and priests who wont comply for religious reasons. The government is going to have a hard time enforcing it. But as for justices of the peace, ship captains and others who are authorized more power to you.
To my understanding, churches have the right to refuse to perform a marriage ceremony for anyone.

However, this prevents state and federal governments from not recognizing and according same-sex marriages (and the persons in the marriages) equal footing, rights, and responsibilities.
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-26 12:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Gay marriage being legal does nothing to do people who believe in traditional marriage. You can still choose not to go to gay weddings, espouse you believe it's wrong and rain hellfire from on throne high.

Surprised the SCOTUS didn't address this. Next year I guess.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

No, but I'm going to guess that couples wouldn't want to be married by someone who doesn't approve of them anyway, so I doubt there will be much need to compel.

These types of battles are generational; the groundwork laid today means that thirty years from now, people will look at those types the same way you think about your crazy racist grandpa.
Well you are wrong there i imagine there are lawsuits being filed all over the country right now against religious entities trying to force them to marry gay people. Because you know, we will force our opinion on you but dont you dare try to do it to me.
I believe there has already been case law about churches not performing services for members of their congregation in same-sexheterosexual marriages. I doubt that would change suddenly as a result of this ruling.
I'll see if I can dig up a court case.

*edit*
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-26 12:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

[Mod edit: Even in the service of a point, there's some things you can't say. Sorry. --Rooks]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-26 12:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

for the slow ones: this is in jest

Glad you clarified. I don't know how I would have read between the lines.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 12:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

[Mod edit: Even in the service of a point, there's some things you can't say. Sorry. --Rooks]

Seha has been carted away to a reeducation camp.

- <3, the mods.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-26 12:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Joke was too edgy, my b.
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
Server: Asura
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-26 12:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Battling against the religious institutions is pointless, why would you want to marry in a church that doesn't approve you anyway?

Smart people will understand this is about civil rights, not changing the shape of religions.
The problem is that a good percentage of gays in this country are religious and they will want to get married in church. The church takes the bible pretty serious, especially leviticus.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 12:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

When my parents got married, my mother's church denied the marriage because my father wasn't the same denomination of Christian as my mother.

I took this as religion trying to prevent me from being born. Let it be known that Han Religion shot first.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

ship captains

Ship captains, at least by the U.S. Naval codes and other laws regarding ships - commercial or military - cannot marry people.

I thought this too until I tried to find one to marry my wife and I for the sake of a bit of personalization to our small ceremony.

Can Boat Captains Really Marry People?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-26 12:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Seha has been carted away to a reeducation camp.

- <3, the mods.

We'll have to bookmark it as an example of the mods wristing a liberal, just in case that comes up again.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 12:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Battling against the religious institutions is pointless, why would you want to marry in a church that doesn't approve you anyway?

Smart people will understand this is about civil rights, not changing the shape of religions.
The problem is that a good percentage of gays in this country are religious and they will want to get married in church. The church takes the bible pretty serious, especially leviticus.

LOL no it doesn't. Or we'd be stoning those adulters, people who work on the sabbath, disobedient children to death.

Also Catholics don't follow the OT, Biblical literalism is borderline psychotic if you do it. Different denominations pick/choose what they want etc etc.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-26 12:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

This should have never had to go this far to begin with.

Why are people so freaking consumed with the details of others' lives? How could Mary and Marie's relationship possibly impact your life if you aren't Mary or Marie, or related to them?

If God's against homosexuality and gay marriage, then it's his/her place to deal with it. Not individuals on their own. Even if your belief system condemns all LGBT people to fiery hell, you aren't the one in danger of it...so STFU and let people live their lives.

Yeah, I'm glad that the Supreme Court finally had their say about this, but Jesus, they shouldn't have had to.

To the "contributes to moral decay" crowd, if any: Teaching hatred contributes more toward moral decay than an act expressing love.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-26 12:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

P.5 of the ruling specifically discusses this.
Quote:
Respondents' argument that allowing same-sex couples to wed will harm marriage as an institution rests on a counterintuitive view of opposite-sex couples' decisions about mar-riage and parenthood. Finally, the First Amendment ensures that religions, those who adhere to religious doctrines, and others have protection as they seek to teach the principles that are so fulfilling and so central to their lives and faiths. Pp. 23–27.

Churches have never been required to marry anyone and there have been multiple cases affirming this right.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The church takes the bible pretty serious, especially leviticus.

How many church leaders wear blended fibers while in the pulpit?
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind this does not extend to wedding chapels (which are for-profit entities, and don't enjoy the protections that churches do).

*edit* The right to refuse service due to religious belief is not extended
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-26 12:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Just you wait, religious institutions are next. We'll soon hear calls to reject tax exempt statuses for Christian churches (Islam will be overlooked) because as an institution they hold the "wrong beliefs".
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-26 12:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

What does God have against Shrimp and Lobster?
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-26 12:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and before start screaming at me for being a bigot dont. If gay people want to be married thats their choice, as long as no one is hurting people in pursuit of their happiness i dont care what they do.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Just you wait, religious institutions are next. We'll soon hear calls to reject tax exempt statuses for Christian churches (Islam will be overlooked) because as an institution they hold the "wrong beliefs".
You've been hearing calls for rejecting tax-except statuses for religious organizations for quite some time.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-26 12:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we confusing the Old and New Testament again? How many times do I have to go over that?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-26 12:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Just you wait, religious institutions are next.
Dun dun DUUUUUUNNNNN
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-26 12:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Come on now you know what part i am talking about.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

God hates bugs.

But he gaves us approximately a quintillion of them to deal with, because he hates us too.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-26 12:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
This is a naked judicial claim to legislative—indeed, super-legislative—power; a claim fundamentally at odds with our system of government. Except as limited by a constitutional prohibition agreed to by the People, the States are free to adopt whatever laws they like, even those that offend the esteemed Justices’ “reasoned judgment.” A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers does not deserve to be called a democracy.

Favorite part of Scalia's dissent
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-26 12:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

They cost too much.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-26 12:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Love your neighbor?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-26 12:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Precisely. They don't believe in the Old Testament as a whole, or even any specific book as a whole.

They pick and choose so they can have a target for their scorn.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14