users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Racist Jps? Or no honor americans? Everyones info
Racist Jps? Or no honor americans? Everyones info
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 leo
By leo 2015-01-11 08:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Or maybe you have a ***reputation among the JP crowd you're unaware of.

When it's positive one says "reputation" ...
When it's negative one says "karma" ...

lol
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-01-11 08:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Truthfully it wouldn't be a stretch to say going out of your way to learn Japanese isn't such a bad idea if you intend to play the game with JPs. The hardest part of learning Japanese is using it in conversations and communication is key to learning a new language. That barrier isn't even a barrier since you'd be talking to Japanese players daily learning the proper and not so proper way to say things. There are many sources for learning available for free at your finger tips that will help you step by step as if you're in the classroom all over again. You'd learn Hiragana, Katakana and basic Kanji all at the same time. Eventually you'll be able to tackle JLPT N5-1 and next thing you know you have preference points towards immigration if you plan to move there in the future. You don't gotta be a certified translator but the basics are not hard at all to pick up. It just boils down to how bad you wanna party with those JPs ^^
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-11 08:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

what's with the potato threads?
 leo
By leo 2015-01-11 08:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Threaded potato (meat free btw):
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-01-11 08:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I can communicate well enough to wheedle my way into most JP parties. Some of them absolutely refuse to even reply to me, though.

This morning someone was shouting for BRD+GEO for Incursion (@7/9). I sent him a tell to the effect of:
{Idris}{Geomancer} or 4{song}{Bard} {You can have this.}

No reply. He shouted for another half hour while I did Incursion with another group.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-01-11 08:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »
Endoq i agree with you, there is big cultural differences. I just want to let folks know do not be afraid to talk to Japanese players, you will be surprised to find that they too enjoy sharing the game. Also do not take offense if they say they do not speak English and tell you they want to speak with Japanese players only. Communication makes a huge difference and the only way to break barriers is to talk.

But then what happens if someone puts up an NA/EU/English only shout? I'll wager that won't be seen as socially acceptable even if done for the exact same reason.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-11 08:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
But then what happens if someone puts up an NA/EU/English only shout? I'll wager that won't be seen as socially acceptable even if done for the exact same reason.
It's because the American public have turned into a bunch of pussies and pansies.

We got to do it "for the feels."
By FaeQueenCory 2015-01-11 09:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
Truthfully it wouldn't be a stretch to say going out of your way to learn Japanese isn't such a bad idea if you intend to play the game with JPs. The hardest part of learning Japanese is using it in conversations and communication is key to learning a new language. That barrier isn't even a barrier since you'd be talking to Japanese players daily learning the proper and not so proper way to say things. There are many sources for learning available for free at your finger tips that will help you step by step as if you're in the classroom all over again. You'd learn Hiragana, Katakana and basic Kanji all at the same time. Eventually you'll be able to tackle JLPT N5-1 and next thing you know you have preference points towards immigration if you plan to move there in the future. You don't gotta be a certified translator but the basics are not hard at all to pick up. It just boils down to how bad you wanna party with those JPs ^^
Protip: any Japanese class you take won't help you but to read it.
In speaking, NO ONE talks like what you learn in classes.
It's literally the most unspoken language in the world... because it's 100000% context; and when the spoken is directly translated... you get "caveman speak."
Whole sentences are conveyed just by a "question mark sound"... or just a verb... or just a particle... or even just a "nnnn/mmmm" sound.
My friend who's taken ~6yrs of Japanese... can't speak it worth for ***to Japanese people... cause he says full sentences, which is just bizarre.

It's kinda worse in FFXI too because not only are people typing how they speak... but you also have to learn the nonsense words for FFXI terms.
Sometimes they make sense... other times.... smh.
ESPECIALLY the abbreviations! XD

EDIT: Protip2: Even in romanji, saying "kanji wa [[watashi]] no tomodachi janai" will often get you into stuff because they see that you know Japanese well enough to communicate... and that you're humble enough to admit to having trouble with the kanji... (All the kanji I know are super worthless for real communication T_T)
And if you couple that with an unusual pronoun choice... you can get to be friends with JPs by virtue of being a curiosity.
eg: I like to speak Altdeutsch... namely cause my English affectation has constantly be noted as "weird"... so as a personal pronoun in Japanese I use "ware." However, out of this pronoun choice I learned how to conjugate "ware" correctly... and the fact that I use it correctly rather than just as a replacement for "watashi/boku/ore/atashi" is what earns me the novelty status.
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-11 09:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

JPs who play ffxi are by no means representative of the entire JPn population. They're a select few, most of them are video game nerds who play games all day. When I went to Japan I met three japanese guys and we become close friends and they actually just came to stay with me for a few days in NY on their firer visit to US for new years.

Some things i noticed in regards to honor. They all said a "prayer" before eating "itadakimasu" which isn't ndcessarily a prayer to any god or religion but more of a "gracious thanksgiving" or thankfulness for the food. Also when one of them, Ryota handed me a gift from japan wrapped in giftwrap, my first instinct was to tear the paper off and open it up, but tearing gift wrap to them must have seemed aggressive and barbaric becaise when i pushed two fingers down one length of the box, they motioned in surprise like "woahh so fast", so that may have been "rude".

In japan, typically when you pay money at a store, you place it in a small basket on the counter and push the basket towards the cashier, it's more sanitary, and less chance of coins falling. I see some americans trying to hand money directly to the cashier and the cashier smiles and accepts it anyway. On the other end of the spectrum i saw a lot of chinese and korean tourists in japan just slamming their money on the counter(making the cashier pick the coins up, obviously more rude than what the americans did).

At any rate rudeness and politeness is culturally relevant. The japanese guys that stayed with me were totally cognizant of different social rules and they always were double checking if something was considered rude to americans. If they bumped into me or dropped something in my house they were extremely apologetic and when I said "no worries", they were like "ah so kind!".

I think from my experience going to japan about 3-4x and having japanese people live with me for a week, it seems that most japanese, at least the younger generation are more open to what oher cultures deem as polite/rude rather than claiming that japanese social rules are the standard by which all must follow. The japanese guys that stayed with me even acknowledge how silly some of their social rules are compared to ours, such as honorifics, drink(alcohol) order for superiors and employees, while some of their customs kinda make sense and promote a system of teamwork and respect(you can never pour your own beverage, someone next to you should serve you, which i think is sweet).

This turned out longer than expected, but basically ffxi players are a small sample of US and Japanese. Just like some US players are childish whiny noobs that when they lose a lot for a hard drop in a battlefield will quartermaster themselves or kick whoever outlotted them, japanese ffxi players many of them are otakus or mid teen early 20 somethings who dont work or work very little and live with their parents and play video games all day long(most japanese people arent even like this, its a small minority over there from what the guys who stayed with me told me(one was from Shibuya, other was from Tokyo and the other from Sapporo).

Also I will say most JP speak wayyyyy better english than they let on. JP study english from like 2nd grade until highschool, so their english is quite good. The three of the guys that stayed with me were able to converse with me better than some mexican coworkers i worked with who lived here for 20-30 years. Any jP that says they dont know english is bullshitting. They may have forgotten some of their english just like post HS americans forget their spanish(though we get like 4 years of second language, JP get like 8-10) because they rarely use it and dont feel comfortable enough speaking it because they dont want to use the wrong word or vocabulary and look foolish(compared to a lot of americans annoyingly trying to speak spanish to waiters in spanish restaurants and use completely incorrect grammar, but with an arrogant attitude)
[+]
By Calibeaner916 2015-01-11 09:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Fenrir.Camiie said: »
It's because the American public have turned into a bunch of pussies and pansies.

We got to do it "for the feels."
lol yeah thats it. *** retard.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2015-01-11 10:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
Also I will say most JP speak wayyyyy better english than they let on. JP study english from like 2nd grade until highschool, so their english is quite good. The three of the guys that stayed with me were able to converse with me better than some mexican coworkers i worked with who lived here for 20-30 years. Any jP that says they dont know english is bullshitting. They may have forgotten some of their english just like post HS americans forget their spanish(though we get like 4 years of second language, JP get like 8-10) because they rarely use it and dont feel comfortable enough speaking it because they dont want to use the wrong word or vocabulary and look foolish(compared to a lot of americans annoyingly trying to speak spanish to waiters in spanish restaurants and use completely incorrect grammar, but with an arrogant attitude)
I have point out that this isn't EXACTLY completely true...
Just mostly.
Like one Japanese friend I have speaks TERRIBAD engurishi.
It's a bit embarrassing for her... namely cause other JP friends tease her about how weird her English sounds...
They've compared her English to the way Americans speak Japanese... which I have to agree with... TT_TT
Cause she goes full on "every vowel of the kana must be stressed".
Hence why I used "e-n-gu-ri-shi" instead of engrish. Very similar to western speakers "de-su"s instead of "des-."

Though as a whole, they ARE taught English through the vast majority of their schooling...
But that doesn't make them necessarily good at it.
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2015-01-11 10:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I've partied with a lot of JP players, some are very nice and some aren't so nice and you don't need to understand their language to get the point that they don't like you lol. But I've fought beside many JP players in events like delve or old content and they were respectful. Like most said, some JP players are embarrassed they can't speak English well but they still tried anyway so I respect that.

I remember a kind JP group who helped me get the Delve Bee clear earlier last year and that let me know that not all JP players are bad or "JP onry" some are just exclusive and may just want JP onry because it may be difficult for them to communicate with NA/EU players. I will admit though, that whenever I see the JP shouts on the server, in the back of my mind, I would say "OMG Please use the Auto Translate Function so I understand w** you are asking!" And I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had that thought lol.

It's been like that but I guess learning Japanese is the best real way to understand their culture and language. Some JPs are nice, some aren't so nice but hey, it's the same for NA/EU players! You got good NA/EU players and you got the not so good NA/EU players.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-11 11:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »
Before calling Japan a racist nation you should look into their ways and gain some insight.

One of the big reasons JP will not talk to NA is due to embarrassment of not knowing how to fully speak English. Ignorance is not treated the same in Japan as it is in the US. So it's not for a racist reason or because of some superiority complex as many assume it to be.

Also keep in mind that Americans tourist that go to Japan make a bad name for us by treating the country as if it were mardi gras...

You hit the nail on the head. I play with many JP players on my server and most of them are literally embarrassed they can't speak english. That is a very real thing, good on you for pointing that out, glad i read the comments first.

OK.

I will concede this point, I may have been wrong, I honestly had never considered it was their issue. However a courtesy response would still be appreciated.
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-11 11:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »
Jetackuu said: »

Threaded potato (meat free btw):

Bloodrose will love you for this.
[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-11 12:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/julien-blanc-pickup-artist/

This is why most Japanese get annoyed by Americans. Because we have annoying white frat boys getting drunk, snatching women and grabbing them and being disrespectful and acting entitled. Japanese culture is "one for all, all for one" very collectivist, self sacrifice for the greater good, sacrifice your individuality so we can all live harmoniously and respectfully, "you are part of something bigger, play your role and we will all succeed together as a team". American culture is very "you're special, you're different, you're important, follow a leader, be alpha". They both have pros and cons but it leads to culture clash too often. Japanese culture stresses a humble, quiet confidence. When Japanese people win, they're humble. Look at most japanese mma fighters. They dont grill and stare down prefight. The stare blankly without aggression. When they win? They dont galavant around like a gorilla, they usually nod or show respect. I see all these latin and white mma fighters and they grill, they boast, they stare disrespectfully at their opponents, they talk sh*t. Its just a huge departure in cultural values. Again neither is right or wrong but there's a stark difference and you cant paint one as rude or polite between cultures, only within cultures.

Example, in china, spitting and pushing to get by is not considered rude(i asked why so many chinese americans spit and shove and they told me its not considered bad in china). So by our standards, spitting and shoving is extremely rude, but to them its normal. It's relative.
 Ragnarok.Twinbladehaseo
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Twinbladehaseo 2015-01-11 12:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Every place have their bad apples.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-11 12:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Every apple has their bad places.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-01-11 12:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I was originally on ifrit which was full of JPs there were quite a few of them that would be all jp onry and would not say anything back to your tells. There were also a lot that would make an effort with you especially when they learned you weren't NA. I was in a JP endgame for quite a while back in 2008 till abyssea when they stopped logging on. They invited me and a few friends back in before SoA release and they used to do ADL and other stuff. Something seemed to happen over night and what happened, only thing I could call it, was a cleanse of all non JP members in the LS we all got kicked one by one and I think I was the last to go. Haven't talked to them since seen a couple and got a /wave off them but that's about it.
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2015-01-11 13:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk in my experience with JP groups and players they just operate different that EN players overall.

If a JP group is 25 players deep then they focus on all 25 players.

If a NA group is 25 players you'll normally see 6-8 of the 25 gears the rest meh.

I have yet to see a JP with almost every R.E.M ,Afterglow, ever HQ piece in the game.

I can only reference the once I know being Bluebird/BossNova/7seas.

As for EN groups if you see a top LS you can be certain the leaders have damn near every R.E.M etc... not knocking it but it's possible they just function differently overall doesn't have to be about racism.
 Sylph.Limlight
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Limlight 2015-01-11 13:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Highwynn pretty much knocked it out of the park, manners and being polite go a long way. In all of my dealings with the Japanese I've always gotten the farthest when I'm polite and show that i'm being respectful toward them and their culture. Also, knowing a few simple phrases to be polite or express gratitude goes a long way with them.

Some just prefer to not speak in english and you cannot fault them for that.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Twinbladehaseo
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Twinbladehaseo 2015-01-11 14:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

In my experience is both ways, I had few friends that only knew Japanese and we did auto-translator.
But then had the ones that didn't let you join t
o anything.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-01-11 14:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Limlight said: »
Highwynn pretty much knocked it out of the park, manners and being polite go a long way. In all of my dealings with the Japanese I've always gotten the farthest when I'm polite and show that i'm being respectful toward them and their culture. Also, knowing a few simple phrases to be polite or express gratitude goes a long way with them.

Some just prefer to not speak in english and you cannot fault them for that.

But shouldn't that be a two-way street? It seems that the behavior of JP players is always excused or justified and that only NA/EU players are expected to make any sort of concessions. There's a clear double standard fueled by what I can only assume is some extension of fanboyism.

I like anime and video games as much as anyone and I respect many aspects of Japanese culture, but FFXI's JP player base is not some inherently superior or infallible group of people. They're also not a bunch of jerkasses. And neither is any other group from any other region.

It's kind of funny really. If I started throwing around a bunch of "real life" stereotypes as fact I'd be quickly lambasted and deservedly so. I'm not sure why it's not the same with the in-game ones. Is it because most of the negative ones are directed towards the NA players?
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-01-11 15:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Syagin said: »
Idk in my experience with JP groups and players they just operate different that EN players overall.

If a NA group is 25 players you'll normally see 6-8 of the 25 gears the rest meh.

I have yet to see a JP with almost every R.E.M ,Afterglow, ever HQ piece in the game.

As for EN groups if you see a top LS you can be certain the leaders have damn near every R.E.M etc... not knocking it but it's possible they just function differently overall doesn't have to be about racism.

Well this was 2008 the JP leader had burtgang, excalibur, Aegis, apocalypse and ragnarok and every single other person in the LS had zero.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-11 16:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Leviathan.Syagin said: »

Well this was 2008 the JP leader had burtgang, excalibur, Aegis, apocalypse and ragnarok and every single other person in the LS had zero.
Back in 2008/2009 on Unicorn, every single JP member of any HNM/endgame LS had a relic.

And most of the time, even their mules. The only thing gaijins were better about was giving more than one relic to the same person (see RH).

I've been part of EU/NA and JP HNM/endgame LSs, and honestly, it's very different. My first time in Dynamis with JPs, THF hands drop (back when it was sirius business and my THF was 37) and they're like "anyone can lot them". Meanwhile, in the EU/NA LS I was in the week prior, it was more like "OMG I'M GONNA BID 200 POINTS ON IT FOR MY THF75 THAT I NEVER USE". And everyone was fine with it, because said person was that funny "XD OMG LOL" spammer. I don't remember JPs favouriting people for no reason, for them, it was literally "we give to whoever deserves, and if nobody does more than others, then everyone gets it".

I could also mention them letting me get D ring back in 2009 over literally everyone in the Linkshell including the leader, they were all JPs.
Can you imagine this happening in an EU/NA LS? Because I personally can't.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-01-11 16:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

some older LS leaders did have I greedy streak, but not all. Some actually have always spread the wealth around, while others, like stated above, kept a lot of the stuff for their inner circle. I used to love hearing "we are letting xxx lot this, because he has X weapon and it would benefit the shell more for him to have it.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2015-01-11 18:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember back in abyssea, the empy farmer ls, with a huge list, and stupid leaders forcing people to go spam gold pyxies and nm for kis. The list was huge and obviously leaders were firsts.

And no surprise, the leader was full of bullshits. I myself was forced to join those farming and my name wasnt even in list, i had no empyreal asked, and even if i did, i would be 7th or 8th.

Since them i prefered buying new account, and work with my mule for personal demands. I cant accept people using others to achieve stuffs. Statics are fine as its lesser and you can make things fair, but full ls for that is pure bull.

I am just glad i didnt play in hnm ls era, and in abyssea, i just dropped my pearl after 2 "events".

About the jp thing, i think funny, back when i used to shout for delve 18man, i had implicit that jp were all good players. First time i invited a jp , a mnk, for tojil run, i was expecting nothing less than oatixur, when i heard a guy from ls that the mnk was a brawny adarga mnk, that when ninzas+2 were already available for those that hadnt rigors.

In the end, jp and non jp players are about the same in skills. The only difference is that jps have twice the numbers of non jp players, so obviously, more good guys will appear, and as they dont really need to invite non jp as there are large amount of jp, it seems like some grudge.

Reality is that is a pain to play with people you cant understand ***. I myself just invite jp because i am not the kind of guy that will reject people, but i would always prefer an english speaker.

I guess jp are more honest than non jp, if there is any difference.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-01-11 18:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I've found that JP shout groups adopt much more conservative strategies and playstyles than NAs. I've found that JPs are much more likely to just play it super conservative and bore a boss to death for smooth 20 minute kill instead of quick 10 minute kills. NA players seem to try whatever they read on BG or XIAH even if their party is blatantly incapable of implementing the strategy.

In JP shout groups, the best players are generally playing the most critical jobs, even if they're unglamorous or high-stress (stunner, healer, etc.) In NA shout groups, the players tend to fight to play melee jobs even if it's clearly not what's best for their group.

For instance, this morning I did some really slow ilevel 127 Incursion runs with a JP group. We had a DRG, THF, and MNK with skirmish weapons. I'm pretty sure the THF and MNK never changed gear. The DRG parsed 30%, THF 32%, MNK 18%, and skillchains took the rest. Still, they missed two stuns in 4 runs and the support was right-on. 20-25 minute kills of the boss, which is miserable, but 4 wins later I'd have a hard time talking ***on it compared to a lot of the NA runs I've been on.

As a counterexample, though, Saturday morning I did two Normal DM runs with a JP group. 2 PLD, RDM, RNG x2, COR, BRD, WHM. They killed 3 mobs on the first run and 4 on the second because they played too conservatively. They:
1) Used 2 PLDs on Normal, which I find unnecessary.
2) The RNGs did not get Flurry II.
3) Their supertanking PLD didn't actually supertank, as far as I can tell. It looked like he tried to claim all the mobs and hold them, and that + cures caused a back-line wipe on our second fight.
4) I'm pretty sure their rangers didn't swap gear or something, because I outparsed them on Paladin.
The problem was that their leader, who was probably the best support player they had, was the RDM and went out to keep the Paladin alive. If he had been willing to tell the supertanking PLD to just go solo supertank (aka been less conservative) then problems 2-4 would potentially have been solved. The previous night I'd done DM with an NA group using a similar strategy and beaten it comfortably in 20 minutes.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-11 18:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you parse lower than a pld on rng? I don't know if I could even if I tried. Hell, I can hardly think of any job I wouldn't be able to outparse a pld <.<
By Pantafernando 2015-01-11 18:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

On normal, as laevel said chant du cygne is destroying, and pld is gaining huge amount of tp as there are 5 mobs hitting, so it is likely pld would win parse.

Coronach is pretty lackluster. Tp gain from pld is higher than rng also. Only holding would be if acc and att is an issue, what shouldnt be the case in normal setup.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-01-11 18:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

They just weren't shooting quickly and WSing promptly, I think. They appeared to be suffering from stage 1 suckitis.

Anyway, they were pretty good about keeping songs and haste up on me and I ate sushi (only Normal), so my WSs hit pretty well. The Rangers were TPing so slowly that I could consistently skillchain with them.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7