Racist Jps? Or no honor americans? Everyones info
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-09-28 21:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Only 1 player has even said NO thanks when I asked to join their jp group. Was simple and nice, he did not want to type everything out twice. and did not want to translate for the others in the group. A lot of the jp side of Leviathan is very nice and almost always fun to team up with
 Asura.Clinpachi
Server: Asura
user: Clinpachi
By Asura.Clinpachi 2017-09-28 21:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Crazy necro bump there,

But I will say I envy the Japanese. They found a way to be racist/xenophobic without being a *** about it and just keeping to themselves.

Yet somehow their work environments favor teamwork above personal achievements.

I mean the only reason the emperor was even in the news is because he wanted to step down for health reasons and they let him.

I wouldn't want to play with my cheeseburger eating, self-entitled, Trump represented *** either.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2017-09-28 22:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just a language barrier that auto-translate can't fix, yes there may be some actual racist JPs but the majority of them just don't want to spend longer than necessary explaining strategy.

Source: played with JP's for years and ALWAYS got that invite
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-09-28 22:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

We communicate and do things differently than they do. There are enough other JP people around to fill out their parties. They don't have to bend over backwards to accommodate our cultural/language/tactical/behavioral differences.
 Asura.Rathood
By Asura.Rathood 2017-09-28 22:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
It's just a language barrier that auto-translate can't fix, yes there may be some actual racist JPs but the majority of them just don't want to spend longer than necessary explaining strategy.

i agree it was easy to get into JP groups in odin too but i might have been lucky 0 racisim lol
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-09-29 00:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rathood said: »
Bahamut.Soraishin said: »

i agree it was easy to get into JP groups in odin too but i might have been lucky 0 racisim lol
0 issues joining Japanese groups since chains of promthia expansion
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2017-09-29 02:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Jitsuha nihongo anmari shirimasen. "Shigemo's FF11 Guide" wo tsukatteru dakedesu.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-09-29 10:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really not that complicated: There are racist JPs and non-racist JPs. There are racist NAs and non-racist NAs. There are helpful ones of each, and unhelpful ones of each.
[+]
By Draylo 2017-09-29 10:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always had bad experiences with JP in the old days, but now I rarely ever see them so there's literally 0 interaction. Back then they would always exclude non JP and never team up for anything, never even replying to requests or tells when you are correctly using Japanese or auto translations. They just aren't very nice from my experiences.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2017-09-29 10:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I just copy and paste jp shouts... ez pz to get them to join you - oh the joy of me trying to figure what i shouted for...
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2017-09-29 11:19:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
I just copy and paste jp shouts... ez pz to get them to join you - oh the joy of me trying to figure what i shouted for...

Until you copy/paste their shouts from here and it comes out as
Sachiko monkey reference 3/6 do you need to go?

Then it's just like "*** it, ask if they need a BRD"
 Asura.Warusha
user: Serithus
By Asura.Warusha 2017-09-29 12:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I joined an end game JP shell on Odin and they were happy to have me join for everything except master trials. Frustrating because BLM just casts death and aspir repeatedly.
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2017-09-29 13:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Been to Japan a few times. They have a lot of places that refuse service to white people. So yeah, that's a thing
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-09-29 13:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Times have changed. For years, NA players were regarded as very stubborn and amateur to JP players. Most of the time it really wasn't racist at all. They just didn't trust you and felt like communication and team work could be hindered if they invited an NA. If you had a good reputation with NA players from your performance, it hardly affected you. Over time with many strategies and content being lowered in difficulty, (and dwindling numbers in the player base) "JP standards" were somewhat eased and it's now common to have both partying together.

I'm not sure it was really race related at all. I spent quite a bit of time in the fighting game community and there is still sort of a difference in culture between how they play and how Americans play. I never got the impression that it was about race, but more about how our goals and strategies were quite different. Throughout my FFXI career, I have experienced more elitist NA players who refused to party with another NA player for the same reasons than I did JP players who refused NA players.

Not saying there aren't racist JP players. But I never really took it personal because it felt more like a cultural clash than a racial one.
[+]
By Boshi 2017-09-29 14:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-09-29 14:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Times have changed. For years, NA players were regarded as very stubborn and amateur to JP players. Most of the time it really wasn't racist at all. They just didn't trust you and felt like communication and team work could be hindered if they invited an NA. If you had a good reputation with NA players from your performance, it hardly affected you. Over time with many strategies and content being lowered in difficulty, (and dwindling numbers in the player base) "JP standards" were somewhat eased and it's now common to have both partying together.

I'm not sure it was really race related at all. I spent quite a bit of time in the fighting game community and there is still sort of a difference in culture between how they play and how Americans play. I never got the impression that it was about race, but more about how our goals and strategies were quite different. Throughout my FFXI career, I have experienced more elitist NA players who refused to party with another NA player for the same reasons than I did JP players who refused NA players.

Not saying there aren't racist JP players. But I never really took it personal because it felt more like a cultural clash than a racial one.

Gaijin (外人, [ɡaid͡ʑiɴ]) ("outside person" "alien" "Non-Japanese") is a Japanese word for foreigners and non-Japanese.

As someone who has been around since the game released, I can agree with some of what you said. But I disagree that race wasn't sometimes a factor given the cultural perspective of what "Gaijin" actually means.

In FFXI, yes, most NA/EU play more aggressively whereas many JP players are more conservative and reserved in their strategies and group dynamics. Things like Vent, TeamSpeak, Discord and whatnot wasn't around/widely used back in the day (with the exception of some HNMLS's), so communication in a mixed group posed understandable challenges. After all, with the language barrier, group chemistry and understanding of the NM being fought, you very well can't type and cure at the same time - at least not back then. Japanese players didn't have the patience for bone-headed mindset nonsense in a difficult fight, and lots of NA players disconnected themselves with their actions in mixed parties because of the language barrier. This doesn't mean that JP players didn't make mistakes too from time to time.

There's no denying that discrimination does exist - at least to an extent. An EU friend of mine on Cerberus is in a JP Linkshell by virtue of playing in the same time zone and being a skilled player. But at first, he too was excluded from certain content like Master Trials. Proving your worth takes a back seat to other Japanese players in the LS who want their shinies first. It's not even necessarily a personal thing but more for the mindset that's carried on since the game released. When you're treated like an outsider OR it's a cultural acceptance that all non-Japanese are outsiders by default, you can't just turn that off like a switch from a Japanese perspective. It was a personal choice players made to look beyond that and be receptive to NA players who weren't knuckleheads and played with understanding and skill.

I've PUG'd some things with JP players on Asura before and all interactions have been pleasant and fun, so the JPONLY thing doesn't apply to everyone.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2017-09-29 14:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Throughout my FFXI career, I have experienced more elitist NA players who refused to party with another NA player for the same reasons

Guilty, as charged.

There's too much "It's-my-12.95"-ism in the NA community, even these days.
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2017-09-29 14:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

it felt more like a cultural clash than a racial one.

Pretty much my experience with JPs in any game. While on other hand NAs like to think they are racist by spamming Hitlers name in chat and/or send galkas back to mines phrases paired with REMA only shouts for Bubble Bernie @.@
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-09-29 14:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

No I agree that race could very well play a part in some of these players. Heck, there are arguments now that race plays a part in many things in the real world.

I'm just stating that much of the time the divide between NA and JP seemed like a cultural difference. I got to see this first hand in FFXI through ballista. Japanese players would go out of their way to protect each other but you were often treated like an outcast. This was the case at first, but over time, some became very friendly and we're not as cold as they initially were.

And yes, there are some scrub jp players as well. They make mistakes like everyone.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2017-09-29 14:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I just went to Japan. The people there were incredibly nice. Every single person I spoke to was nothing but pleasant. They were nice to the point that 2 people stopped what they were doing (1 was walking to work) and walked me 2-3 blocks out of their way to help me get somewhere when I asked for directions. For some context, I'm a bald Italian-Canadian, I look nothing like them and I only know about 5 Japanese words. They really didn't seem very racist to me.

What I also noticed is that they work very long hours. So maybe when they are playing a game and unwinding after a long day of work, they just want to play with other JP because they're too tired to worry about communication. I know that feeling. I speak, read and write well in French. But it's my 3rd language and sometimes I didn't feel like playing with French-speaking players just because I was too tired to put the extra effort into communication.

So to the OP, it doesn't have to be one of your 2 choices. It can be any of a million reasons you didn't even think of.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-09-29 16:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree 100 percent. ***the person that got me into endgame during 75 era was Japanese. She spoke broken English but was one of the best friends I made from FF11. Did dynamis together,relics, merits and later joined A 24/7 EU/JP/US HNMLS. She was also obsessed with usher at the time as she put "if I have bad day I look at usher video when his shirt off all ok." Her favorite American slang word was, "f*ck u." I do miss hanging and chatting with her if it wasn't for her I might have quit the game around Wings of the goddess. Hell she got me into a Japanese einherjar linkshell (when it was hard) and god they wipped the floor everytime. Got two US people in and they were shocked we never lost lol. But once adoulin happen she left off to 14. She is still missed. I must have very good luck with Japanese peeps.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-09-29 16:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Throughout my FFXI career, I have experienced more elitist NA players who refused to party with another NA player for the same reasons

Guilty, as charged.

There's too much "It's-my-12.95"-ism in the NA community, even these days.
So *** true. I remeber scoppie (Japanese friend) always telling me how chill it was playing with me because I wasn't only concerned with me. That I was willing to help even if I got my stuff. She informed me a lot of NA she played with were rude and selfish.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-09-29 16:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azriel said: »

Pretty much my experience with JPs in any game. While on other hand NAs like to think they are racist by spamming Hitlers name in chat and/or send galkas back to mines phrases paired with REMA only shouts for Bubble Bernie @.@
Lol.!i recently saw a /yell for REMA DDs only for capacity points.
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2017-09-30 08:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
Asura.Azriel said: »

Lol.!i recently saw a /yell for REMA DDs only for capacity points.

What the heck? lol. How elitist can you get? xD
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-09-30 10:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That post isn't an exaggeration. People just see letters and assume it's the gold standard for every activity event. Especially on Asura. Quite pathetic, since I can solo cp faster than most groups can party it.
By clearlyamule 2017-09-30 11:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw a yell for REMA only DDs for bubble Bernie recently. Was still a pretty intense fight
[+]
By Afania 2017-09-30 12:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure it was really race related at all. I spent quite a bit of time in the fighting game community and there is still sort of a difference in culture between how they play and how Americans play. I never got the impression that it was about race, but more about how our goals and strategies were quite different.

You are spot on. NA countries (US and Canada) are multi cultural, and EU countries are geographically connected to each other, therefore people are more willing to accept others from different backgrounds and are less likely to find culture difference bothering. Therefore for NA/EU, they often can't understand why JP has JP only mentality.

Just keep in mind that for people that grow up in a single culture/language environment, it can be an uncomfortable experience to work with someone that's....different. And this isn't xenophobia sort of things, it's more like "it doesn't feel right" sort of things. For example, my mother(who grew up in a single culture environment and lived there entire life) absolutely adore NA/EU culture. She can travel, communicate, engage in social activities with "foreigners" in English no problem, but when I wanted to get her actually live and work in NA, it was a big no. It simply doesn't work because different culture isn't a thing in her life.

Regarding JP player experience, Due to my time zone, I was in JP LS from 2012 and we did all sorts of endgame event from Einherjar II to pre ilv delve. I never feel I was excluded, even though I don't always get a spot for delve pt when it's 18/18 they always rotated me in. I stayed there until all core member quit for FF14. My ff14 FC was also JP due to playing on JP server.

I would say after many many years of being in FFXI endgame community, being in JP LS was by far, one of my favorite endgame LS experience. I felt right at home and in general I prefer groups with similar LS culture and dynamics. Many NA mmo player utilize things like discord to play, share private life, and overall just more social. JP interactions by comparison are a lot more reserved and quiet. In most NA groups, people often think Im "anti social" because of cultural difference, some even made fun of it or forced me to change in variety of ways, such as this I don't always feel I belong to the team because I'm not social enough. But in JP groups I feel just right.

When it comes to strategy JP strategy tends to play safe, on the other hand NA strategy is a lot more aggressive. I would say I personally play more like an NA since I like to take risks and be aggressive, but I find JP ways occasionally useful to get things done too. Whenever people are struggle to get things done because they copied and pasted a risky strategy posted on NA forum, I often just suggest them change to JP strategy and see if it works better.

I hope that provided some insight from someone that have been in both jp and na groups.
[+]
 Shiva.Siviard
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2017-09-30 13:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember a long time ago I was in a JP EXP party on my PUP as a main healer using the WHM Automaton, and for the longest time there was this extremely awkward silence.

That is until I brought this guy up. We had fun for 3 hours after that.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-09-30 16:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I think treating JPs as 'the other' is part of the problem.

Just as you'd like to be treated as you when JPs open up a shout for NA players by using auto-translate, I am sure JP players are individuals as well and wanted to be treated as such.

Yes, there are cultural quirks that we can sort of generalize, but there are considerate JPs and selfish ones. Mean ones and kind ones. Friendly and unfriendly.

My best memories of this game are interacting with the friendly/kind/interested JPs in my broken romaji japanese.

They are mostly good people and integral to XI. You can certainly ignore them, but having them around is one of the things I love about XI. As opposed to the region-centric XIV where servers just die past 9pm PST
[+]
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-09-30 17:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Just keep in mind that for people that grow up in a single culture/language environment, it can be an uncomfortable experience to work with someone that's....different. And this isn't xenophobia sort of things, it's more like "it doesn't feel right" sort of things.

The monoculture explanation is pretty spot on.

It's even more true for Japanese people --their culture is so idiosyncratic and monolithic that stepping outside of that is a real shock to their system.

What seems like racism on the surface is more a cultural inflexibility/fish out of water type of thing. When something doesn't go according to their expected social norm, all the alarm bells in their heads go off. They've been conditioned that way.

So yeah, it's really no surprise that they've put up the JP-Only sign.

If there were enough Taiwanese people in this game, no doubt I would be putting up the Taiwan-only sign myself, lol. XD
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7