New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Error code 401
Error code 401
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10
By Jetackuu 2014-10-22 17:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

1. honestly calling *** on the "holds" as I've gotten the error before when my card didn't have the funds (did some math wrong) but it took paypal just fine a few minutes later.

2. even if there were such a thing, they should be able to wipe it, maybe not that individual, but somebody. Otherwise that is just really shitty that basically no other company would do.
By camaroz 2014-10-22 17:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

What I truly, honestly don't understand is why do they not want our money.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-22 17:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly they should just throw a free month or two up until they get it resolved, for PR purposes.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-22 17:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Another day, another 401.

Called bank again, again they say they aren't blocking anything and don't even see any attempts.

My chat was worse than once I've had with automated systems...
By Pantafernando 2014-10-22 17:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys, everyone who decided to wait, have been waiting for weeks/months with no hope. Everyone that said screw that and tried everything with no fear is so so playing now.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-22 17:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a bit frustrated and ranted at another rep. I feel bad for them.

"See you online" huh? Well perhaps if you'd let me online.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-22 18:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
honestly they should just throw a free month or two up until they get it resolved, for PR purposes.
Even if they only do it for people who have the issue, I'd be fine by that. It'd save them a ton of money since those players can't pay anyway and wouldn't be playing. At least they won't give up and never come back.
 Odin.Calipso
Server: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-22 18:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It is def squares bank that's doing this and not GC. Bunch of people on 14 have been contacting them too and apparently it's common enough that they know about the problem and have been trying to contact se about it.

I know it's frustrating but keep in mind the se reps we talk to have very little leeway or power to do or say anything. Pretty sure they're handed scripts and told not to deviate from them. The first guy I talked to on the phone sounded so tired and stressed I almost feel bad for him. He said it's a huge problem and almost all support contacts over the last few weeks since UP went down were about 401s.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-22 18:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Calipso said: »
It is def squares bank that's doing this and not GC.
unfounded^

also to earlier: ultimatepay isn't "retired" they just no longer have gamecards.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2014-10-22 18:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Angierus said: »
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
"See you online" huh? Well perhaps if you'd let me online.

Reading between the lines.

Quote:
Take care and hope to see you online!

Helps if you add everything in, they're wishing you luck in getting through.

My reading was slight diferent:

see you online!
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-22 19:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It is def squares bank that's doing this and not GC. Bunch of people on 14 have been contacting them too and apparently it's common enough that they know about the problem and have been trying to contact se about it.

I know it's frustrating but keep in mind the se reps we talk to have very little leeway or power to do or say anything. Pretty sure they're handed scripts and told not to deviate from them. The first guy I talked to on the phone sounded so tired and stressed I almost feel bad for him. He said it's a huge problem and almost all support contacts over the last few weeks since UP went down were about 401s.
I really do try my best to be nice to reps. I've been in that position in several jobs too. Years of payment issues have had their toll. It didn't help that they used canned responses and ignored or deflected most of my questions.

I mean if a company knows about an issue to the point where they need to have a pre-written script about it... It tells me they have not put enough effort in to a fix.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-22 20:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Your post didn't even really seem snarky, I was more talking in general, especially since there seems to be an awful lot of angst on the 14 forums (not that I blame them, but at least 14 gets a gamecard >_>). I honestly had to kind of hold my tongue when the dude on the phone lectured/scolded me for not "contacting se" like the error says to do. Maybe if you guys gave more than some dumb, vague error, as well as doing charges at midnight when you're not even open to talk to, I wouldn't have tried multiple times ._.

My post on the OF suggested giving out a month or two of free game time while they work this out. Honestly think SE would rather go bankrupt and close down than do that, though.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-22 20:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Your post didn't even really seem snarky, I was more talking in general, especially since there seems to be an awful lot of angst on the 14 forums (not that I blame them, but at least 14 gets a gamecard >_>). I honestly had to kind of hold my tongue when the dude on the phone lectured/scolded me for not "contacting se" like the error says to do. Maybe if you guys gave more than some dumb, vague error, as well as doing charges at midnight when you're not even open to talk to, I wouldn't have tried multiple times ._.

My post on the OF suggested giving out a month or two of free game time while they work this out. Honestly think SE would rather go bankrupt and close down than do that, though.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't. But I was seething mad after the first rep just shut me down so it was hard not to just lose it on them.

There's no indication of any kind of time limit on attempts. They should make a page that appears prior to attempting telling you that if a payment fails a 24 hour hold will be placed. That's kinda important.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-23 21:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I was finally able to buy some crysta. I'm not even sure what the reason was that I got through this time... Everything I did today, I have done before already, at least twice before. Hell, I even did it through Chrome which they recommended against several times.

Granted, it's very likely that I'll be doing this again next month since I can't actually register a payment method.

The only thing I can guess is that 2 days ago I un-registered my old payment method. Them rattling off the last 4 of my old card made me wonder how they got that info and I figured the registered one was still the old card since I could not ever update it. Perhaps this allowed my credit card to work. My primary card which is a debit card and I tried last night did not work even after that so I have to wonder if it might be banned? Who knows. But if it helps anyone, be sure you look at your banks exact listing for the billing info for your payment card. My street address has a "west" in it and I had W. instead of W before and it had declined because of this. SE's billing system is really strict.

Though, that issue had been taken care of for a long time now and it still didn't help me but at least I was certain that this last string of issues wasn't a dumb mistake on my part.

I'll probably chat SE again tomorrow just so I can question them and try to glean some sort of info out of them.
By Pantafernando 2014-10-24 03:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I was finally able to buy some crysta. I'm not even sure what the reason was that I got through this time... Everything I did today, I have done before already, at least twice before. Hell, I even did it through Chrome which they recommended against several times.

Granted, it's very likely that I'll be doing this again next month since I can't actually register a payment method.

The only thing I can guess is that 2 days ago I un-registered my old payment method. Them rattling off the last 4 of my old card made me wonder how they got that info and I figured the registered one was still the old card since I could not ever update it. Perhaps this allowed my credit card to work. My primary card which is a debit card and I tried last night did not work even after that so I have to wonder if it might be banned? Who knows. But if it helps anyone, be sure you look at your banks exact listing for the billing info for your payment card. My street address has a "west" in it and I had W. instead of W before and it had declined because of this. SE's billing system is really strict.

Though, that issue had been taken care of for a long time now and it still didn't help me but at least I was certain that this last string of issues wasn't a dumb mistake on my part.

I'll probably chat SE again tomorrow just so I can question them and try to glean some sort of info out of them.

What direction were you facing when your cc was accepted?
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-24 03:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

It was draksday in game, Moon phase was between 63 and 67 on moving to a New Moon, facing SSE with wind weather procing while on Character was logged out in the far left corner of the Bastok Mines mog House and the Moogle had begun spinning anticlockwise.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-10-24 03:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Pantafernando said: »

It was draksday in game, Moon phase was between 63 and 67 on moving to a New Moon, facing SSE with wind weather procing while on Character was logged out in the far left corner of the Bastok Mines mog House and the Moogle had begun spinning anticlockwise.

I thought so.

Only thing i did diferent is that i logged off in port jeuno, so i think its safe to say the distance between you and your moogle when you log out doesnt affect your cc acceptance.

But i guess more testing must be done.
[+]
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-24 08:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish it was something easy/obvious with me :/ The only difference between my addresses on bank and SE page is that bank has my postal code listed as LNLNLN and se site denotes them as LNL-LNL... but I've managed to use that card once or twice so I know it does work. Every time I try I un-register my payment method first, too.

Such a pain in the *** you seemingly can't change your country either.. I have a few american cc's that I'm sure would work but I can't make the address match as I can't change the country. What's up with that anyways, does se think people never move?

Been locked out since the 2nd and probably gonna lose my mule on the 25/26th when it expires Q______Q
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-24 08:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish it was something easy/obvious with me :/ The only difference between my addresses on bank and SE page is that bank has my postal code listed as LNLNLN and se site denotes them as LNL-LNL... but I've managed to use that card once or twice so I know it does work. Every time I try I un-register my payment method first, too.

Such a pain in the *** you seemingly can't change your country either.. I have a few american cc's that I'm sure would work but I can't make the address match as I can't change the country. What's up with that anyways, does se think people never move?

Been locked out since the 2nd and probably gonna lose my mule on the 25/26th when it expires Q______Q

It angers me that SE can't get off their *** and help with this payment issue. Do you have a second Canadian card you could try? I'm figuring my debit card was banned/blacklisted which compounded my issues since I was only able to try once per day. But I'm still not sure if I could register my working cc anyway since I have not yet tried that after I managed to get crysta.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-26 11:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lost my mule, 401's on them, too. Fiance lost his 14 sub as well. I do have a second card but they're tied to the same bank/institution, doesn't work.

So tired of the try once per 24 hours thing, too.

It's been almost a month since they removed paypal, and these 401 errors have been constant and causing issues since 2013. (Probably earlier). Starting to believe they're not taking it seriously or just have too much invested in their precious fraud system that they're not planning on making any changes.

Paypals probably only gonna make a re-emergence in some other new horrible 3rd party site (hello CnB) they partner with after several months.
 Phoenix.Kaoriasada
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kaoriasada 2014-10-26 14:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

My friend Carlos originally tried to pay for my account for me and got a 601 error, and after he gave me his credit card information and I tried it and I got a 401 error. A month later, I tried it again and it went through. I think 601 is because his location differs from the one on the account, and 401 was because he got blocked. But we continued getting 401 errors days after we tried, so I think it's a 30 day block. I may be wrong, obviously, this is just what happened to me. But my Alt is turned on now.

Edit: I know it was a month because it was a few days before Ultimatepay got shut off, so I used ultimatepay to pay instead, and then I tried the credit card information a few days after it got shut off.
 Cerberus.Toralin
Server: Cerberus
user: toralin
By Cerberus.Toralin 2014-10-31 08:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I know for a fact Square Enix does "some" filtering based on the IP that logs into the Square Enix account.

I had an Australian region account trying to use a NA Credit Card. It would error 401 all day. Then I used an Australian VPN IP address to login and the SAME Credit Card worked.

My suggestion is that it may not be the Credit Card at all that SE is blocking its the address logging into the SE Account. (Trying going to a friends house and adding Crysta)

From a business perspective for SE to not even KNOW how their own system works and be able to extrapolate that to their customers is beyond any form of horrible customer service.
 Bismarck.Boozerr
Server: Bismarck
user: Boozerr
By Bismarck.Boozerr 2014-11-02 06:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

well since people can still purchase gamecards for ffxiv, i decided to go and purchase the game and start that instead of dealing with this dumb 401 crap here for this game right now. Funny thing thou... i purchased the game from square enix site, and it had a paypal button. I used paypal to buy it...no idea why they can't do the same within your account on the exact same site to pay for crysta. Obviously its two different departments, one for memberships sales and one for product sales, but it still shows they feel safe with AND use paypal already for another portion of there own business.

Just throwing that out there.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-02 07:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Toralin said: »
I know for a fact Square Enix does "some" filtering based on the IP that logs into the Square Enix account.

I had an Australian region account trying to use a NA Credit Card. It would error 401 all day. Then I used an Australian VPN IP address to login and the SAME Credit Card worked.

My suggestion is that it may not be the Credit Card at all that SE is blocking its the address logging into the SE Account. (Trying going to a friends house and adding Crysta)

From a business perspective for SE to not even KNOW how their own system works and be able to extrapolate that to their customers is beyond any form of horrible customer service.

Not telling people how things work is kind of usual on corporate culture in Japan. -_-;
By Pantafernando 2014-11-02 07:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said: »
Cerberus.Toralin said: »

Not telling people how things work is kind of usual on corporate culture in Japan. -_-;

Leaving people in ignorance is the best way to manipulate them.
 Phoenix.Kwehh
Server: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Kwehh 2014-11-02 09:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV has been having the same issue, and the best part is that the devs are claiming it's the players' fault. Oh my god how I love Square Enix's back-***-wards methods to attract customers. I think we all have Stockholm Syndrome.
[+]
 Leviathan.Egonn
Server: Leviathan
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2014-11-04 11:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. I've been having this issue for at least a year now. Normally I just say screw it and pay with paypal, or click and buy, etc. Now the only option is credit card and they won't take it. Constant 401 or 601, SE customer service is as useless as they are notorious for ignoring problems and they refuse to fix anything. What publicly traded company doesn't know how to accept money in 2014?

I spent two hours on hold today. What a god damn joke.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2014-11-04 21:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be nice for them to implement a new system soon and perhaps hand out mythic 75 bonanza kupons or somethin for everyone affected. That's the world I some day want to live in.
 Leviathan.Egonn
Server: Leviathan
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2014-11-04 22:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
It would be nice for them to implement a new system soon and perhaps hand out mythic 75 bonanza kupons or somethin for everyone affected. That's the world I some day want to live in.

I would be happy with a system that worked. Why remove paypal? It makes no sense. Square runs like the government. I was on hold for two hours today, both times I called... I got someone named Joal. Coincidence? No. One person works there to handle the ffxi accounts. That's why you get placed on hold for hours on end to attempt to get a company to take your money.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10