Warrior Tp Set Up
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-06 20:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Mars/Armada can get a pretty nice lead (7~8% range) over Valk/Tyrant if you need the accuracy. Valk isn't often a great choice for WAR. And in situations where you'd have the capped accuracy to benefit Valk, you'd also probably have Fighter's Roll, decreasing the relative gain in hits/round that you might expect TA3 to be giving you. Unless it's aby or something, in which case, who cares?

I've had the abjuration for about six months now and just can't bring myself to spend 35~70mil uncursing/augmenting it for the ~1% gain I'd get when the planets align enough to make it a worthwhile piece for warrior (and that's assuming perfect augments on the Valk and STP5/DA3 on the Armada). Armada's better the vast majority of the time for WAR.
 Leviathan.Frotaut
Server: Leviathan
user: Frotaut2
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2012-12-06 21:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

-1 was given to me from ls figured i'd try for ta3 and tp in that if its better than my armada in capped acc situations
By DeathOfSiren 2012-12-06 23:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Mars/Armada can get a pretty nice lead (7~8% range) over Valk/Tyrant if you need the accuracy. Valk isn't often a great choice for WAR. And in situations where you'd have the capped accuracy to benefit Valk, you'd also probably have Fighter's Roll, decreasing the relative gain in hits/round that you might expect TA3 to be giving you. Unless it's aby or something, in which case, who cares?

The only time WAR should be using Valkyrie's Breastplate over Armada Hauberk is when Oneiros Ring's latent effect is down, and you're in one of those few situations where Valkyrie's + Tyrant's pulls ahead of Armada + Mars's.

So in other words, never, because unless you're fighting mobs that are continuously draining your MP, Oneiros Ring's latent effect should never be down, and Armada + Oneiros always trumps Valkyrie's + Tyrant's.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-12-07 01:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Save yourself some merits and don't merit upheaval. GS will outperform unless you have an Ukon

How far ahead would GS/Resolution pull ahead without Ukon?

I have no intentions of making Ukon (at least, not any time soon), though I was considering aiming for the WoE version, just to have a better axe than my Dies Irae. I've not unlocked Upheavel yet and was considering doing Resolution, because I've heard a lot of good thing about it (predominantly from Ragnarok WAR's though).
 Bismarck.Stani
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Stani 2012-12-07 05:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

DeathOfSiren said: »

The only time WAR should be using Valkyrie's Breastplate over Armada Hauberk is when Oneiros Ring's latent effect is down, and you're in one of those few situations where Valkyrie's + Tyrant's pulls ahead of Armada + Mars's.

So in other words, never, because unless you're fighting mobs that are continuously draining your MP, Oneiros Ring's latent effect should never be down, and Armada + Oneiros always trumps Valkyrie's + Tyrant's.

I hope you're not seriously advocating notHP merits in order to get a marginal upgrade in DPS.
[+]
 Leviathan.Frotaut
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2012-12-07 07:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm 100% sure i'll never use that ring on a war or any job for that fact
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-12-07 07:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said: »
Save yourself some merits and don't merit upheaval. GS will outperform unless you have an Ukon
How far ahead would GS/Resolution pull ahead without Ukon? I have no intentions of making Ukon (at least, not any time soon), though I was considering aiming for the WoE version, just to have a better axe than my Dies Irae. I've not unlocked Upheavel yet and was considering doing Resolution, because I've heard a lot of good thing about it (predominantly from Ragnarok WAR's though).

The difference would be significant, Upheaval takes alot of work.... to get the ws into respectable mightystrikes numbers. Ukon is superior if you are riding am3 during mightystrikes as your white dmg plays a huge role. I have geared to what i believe is almost the best upheaval ws set i can do and I still fall short or a reso war under mightystrikes with ragnarok. To give you an idea my best upheav on provy watcher so far is nearly 7k but a friend of mine has hit 11k on it with reso... aure it was a spike.. but heav aint ever spiking that high....

Resolution is far easier to gear for aswell being a str mod, if you don't have an ukon follow austar's advice.
By DeathOfSiren 2012-12-07 07:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Stani said: »
I hope you're not seriously advocating notHP merits in order to get a marginal upgrade in DPS.

No different from using Rancor Collar with it's Damage Taken +10%.

If you're not willing to get a little vulnerable to up your DoT, WAR may not be the job for you. If things hit the fan, that's what a Damage Taken -X% build is for. With competent mages and a solid PDT/MDT build, I've never had a problem. Sure, one-shots do occasionally happen, but they're often higher than any amount of HP you could possibly muster up, even if you were gearing purely for HP+.

If you happen to be fighting mobs that're capable of consistently one shotting you, your max HP shouldn't be an issue to begin with, since you should be idling in your Damage Taken -X% set anyway. Sure having higher max HP helps, but it's not worth reducing your overall damage output for those few instances where the HP's going to matter.

In the end, it all comes down to how optimum you want to get with WAR.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-12-07 07:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sambb said: »
How far ahead would GS/Resolution pull ahead without Ukon? I have no intentions of making Ukon (at least, not any time soon), though I was considering aiming for the WoE version, just to have a better axe than my Dies Irae. I've not unlocked Upheavel yet and was considering doing Resolution, because I've heard a lot of good thing about it (predominantly from Ragnarok WAR's though).

The difference would be significant, Upheaval takes alot of work.... to get the ws into respectable mightystrikes numbers. Ukon is superior if you are riding am3 during mightystrikes as your white dmg plays a huge role. I have geared to what i believe is almost the best upheaval ws set i can do and I still fall short or a reso war under mightystrikes with ragnarok. To give you an idea my best upheav on provy watcher so far is nearly 7k but a friend of mine has hit 11k on it with reso... aure it was a spike.. but heav aint ever spiking that high....

Resolution is far easier to gear for aswell being a str mod, if you don't have an ukon follow austar's advice.

Much appreciate the input! :D Aside from Ragnarok, is there any decent GS I should look for in particular? I have Kriegmesser atm and have been using it as a proc weapon, but I've considered buying a Jingang GS or Etourdissante, because they seem like superior options for one reason or another (Jing, Crit Hit Rate and Zanshin Bonus. Etour, higher damage and same delay).
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-12-07 07:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sambb said: »
The difference would be significant, Upheaval takes alot of work.... to get the ws into respectable mightystrikes numbers. Ukon is superior if you are riding am3 during mightystrikes as your white dmg plays a huge role. I have geared to what i believe is almost the best upheaval ws set i can do and I still fall short or a reso war under mightystrikes with ragnarok. To give you an idea my best upheav on provy watcher so far is nearly 7k but a friend of mine has hit 11k on it with reso... aure it was a spike.. but heav aint ever spiking that high.... Resolution is far easier to gear for aswell being a str mod, if you don't have an ukon follow austar's advice.
Much appreciate the input! :D Aside from Ragnarok, is there any decent GS I should look for in particular? I have Kriegmesser atm and have been using it as a proc weapon, but I've considered buying a Jingang GS or Etourdissante, because they seem like superior options for one reason or another (Jing, Crit Hit Rate and Zanshin Bonus. Etour, higher damage and same delay).

if it was me id be using the Etourdissante +1 if possible, since war has no real magian GS options this is the only other real option against ragnarok. Which for me is a little disappointing I must say that you only get the option of AH meh weapon / god weapon and no inbetween..... unless of course I have forgotten about a RX drop or something.
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-12-07 09:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Disagree with your reasoning a bit.
Agree that any time you need accuracy armadaberk set is far and away better, which given how the newer events are, seems like it will be the trend continuing forward.
But, afaik, Fighter's roll decreases the relative gain from armadaberk's DA just as much as it would affect Valk, so not sure why that would be an issue, unless youre advocating a different body with no multihit stat.
Personally I use Armada set any time I need accuracy, and Valk set any time I don't

@DeathOfSiren:
Any time you have embrava, or any form of regain, the tyrant's ring becomes moot, and you can use an oneiros or w/e you like. I'd agree with stani though that it's not worth the sacrifice of hp merits; you're making a glass cannon even... glassier.
Can't really make a comparison to rancor collar though, because as soon as you take hate/lose TE, you can swap out the collar; you can't swap back in HP merits.
 Leviathan.Kincard
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-07 09:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

When you guys make hybrid DT/TP sets, do you put capping DT as top priority, or a certain amount of DT as priority? Do you gear more towards PDT gear or try to get mostly plain DT gear so you can block magic TP moves? Trying to figure out a way to setup my DT/hybrid DT sets so I can put out as much damage as I still can while I'm turtling up. Thinking of trying to get this set, just missing the gloves atm.

Or is it better to just use Ravager's Legs/Feet and a haste belt? Makes me a lose a pretty good chunk of PDT though.

Thanks.
 Leviathan.Frotaut
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2012-12-07 09:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

i have pdt/mdt sets seperate i dont use a hybrid on war, just swap in for a big hit or nuke swap out, idk never thought about a hybrid set for a one sec gear swap.
By DeathOfSiren 2012-12-07 09:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
When you guys make hybrid DT/TP sets, do you put capping DT as top priority, or a certain amount of DT as priority? Do you gear more towards PDT gear or try to get mostly plain DT gear so you can block magic TP moves? Trying to figure out a way to setup my DT/hybrid DT sets so I can put out as much damage as I still can while I'm turtling up. Thinking of trying to get this set, just missing the gloves atm.

Or is it better to just use Ravager's Legs/Feet and a haste belt? Makes me a lose a pretty good chunk of PDT though.

Thanks.

My set is aimed towards capped PDT with as much MDT as I can fit in. It works well as long as you're able to reach 25% MDT, since the majority of the time you'll have a WHM with capped Shellra V, and 25% MDT is all you'd need to reach the 50% MDT hard cap. A DD/DT hybrid set is a great option for Legion mobs that don't have the potential to one-shot you, but against those that do, stick to a capped PDT/MDT set.
 Leviathan.Kincard
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-07 09:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
i have pdt/mdt sets seperate i dont use a hybrid on war, just swap in for a big hit or nuke swap out, idk never thought about a hybrid set for a one sec gear swap.

A lot of the time, yeah, I just swap into DT whenever I see a big WS/spell coming, but there's a few cases where I can see TPing a hybrid set being viable, and I'm not entirely sure how to build it properly.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-12-07 09:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to figure out a way to setup my DT/hybrid DT sets so I can put out as much damage as I still can while I'm turtling up.
Leviathan.Frotaut said: »
idk never thought about a hybrid set for a one sec gear swap.

You're not really talking about the same thing.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-07 13:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said: »
Disagree with your reasoning a bit.
Agree that any time you need accuracy armadaberk set is far and away better, which given how the newer events are, seems like it will be the trend continuing forward.
But, afaik, Fighter's roll decreases the relative gain from armadaberk's DA just as much as it would affect Valk, so not sure why that would be an issue, unless youre advocating a different body with no multihit stat.
Personally I use Armada set any time I need accuracy, and Valk set any time I don't
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Armada isn't affected as well. What I was trying to shed light on is that a lot of times, the intuitive reasoning you hear for Valk > Armada that people use is "well, TA3 adds 6hits and DA3 adds 3 hits so TA3 is better!" but when you look at the actual average hits/round change, high levels of multiattack significantly change the picture here.

Then you're talking about a relatively small increase in hits/round and the potential 1~2% crit loss from 15 dex (something I think people should pay more attention to, especially since we've picked up 12 more DEX from merits).
By DeathOfSiren 2012-12-08 00:15:50
Link | Quote | Reply

@DeathOfSiren:
Any time you have embrava, or any form of regain, the tyrant's ring becomes moot, and you can use an oneiros or w/e you like. I'd agree with stani though that it's not worth the sacrifice of hp merits; you're making a glass cannon even... glassier.
Can't really make a comparison to rancor collar though, because as soon as you take hate/lose TE, you can swap out the collar; you can't swap back in HP merits.

I agree with your first point. Whenever you have Embrava or high levels of Regain, an X-Hit Build is pointless, and a Tyrant's wouldn't be necessary. In that case, you'd use Valkyrie's + Oneiros. However, that's the only case. Should still definitely aim to get both Valkyrie's and Armada for this reason, but if you had to choose between the two, Armada's the answer.

As far as your second point, I agree to an extent, but still hold onto the belief of furthering your DoT as much as possible while still making an effort to stay alive. Like I said before, if you're fighting mobs that have the capability of consistently one-shotting you, you should be gearing towards survivability anyway. In those situations, Max HP only helps to an extent. Competent mages and a DT-% set is going to be a whole lot more important though, and the reason why I believe making the choice to drop 110 Max HP for the DoT gain of an Oneiros Ring is a good one, especially since mobs with the capability of consistently one-shotting you aren't very bountiful.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-08 03:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of the largest moves you can survive, the difference is closer to 220 effective HP since you'd be using DT sets.
By DeathOfSiren 2012-12-08 03:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of the largest moves you can survive, the difference is closer to 220 effective HP since you'd be using DT sets.

Wow, that's a really good point and something I didn't realize. That's quite a substantial amount of HP to sacrifice for such a slight increase in DPS. It looks like I'm going to have to reconsider using it.
 Bismarck.Stani
By Bismarck.Stani 2012-12-08 11:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

DeathOfSiren said: »
@DeathOfSiren:

Whenever you have Embrava or high levels of Regain, an X-Hit Build is pointless.

One can still do proper x-hit math with Regain, just treat the Regain as boosting your WS TP return.
 Leviathan.Egonn
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2012-12-08 17:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Situational gear is situational. Oneiros Ring with 100 less HP or Rancor Collar or both, it just depends what you fight and how much you like to stay alive. Most higher end mobs today reduce MP so you really have to pay attention to what you're fighting and gauge if it's worth it for you. I stopped using Onieros and switched from Ravagers to Rancor in those situations where I was invincible. It's not like you can switch those HP merits back in the heat of the moment.

And as for X-hit builds, that's also situational. You really have to look at how you play and take into account whether or not you have embrava/rolls on to really max your potential in different situations. Basically everyone on here is right in one situation or another.
By Kyler 2012-12-08 20:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really really want to get into it you have current TP value triggers in your spellcast to gearswap into different sets when you get hit. IE you use your 5 hit gear and get hit once or twice swapping you into your 6 hit with more multi attacks for the final rounds of your tp phase.

Ive never seen anyone factor in the marginal decreases in average attack rounds per ws rounds that multi attack gives you. IE with the occurance of 1 DA proc your 6 hit is a 5 hit, 1TA Proc a 4 hit etc.

If yout HP isnt full, your merits mean nothing. Lets ban everything but galka/elvaan from being front line jobs b/c they dont have the hp to support it. You can use spellcast to swap out oneiros when you dont have sufficient mp
You can have spellcast turn your drawdistance, character models displayed and effects to minimum so you can engage a fraction of a second faster. Spend $200 a month for internet so you can have a the smallest amount of latency with the servers.

Where you draw the line doesnt mean its the best. It is the point at where you say, the marginal gains in dps arent worth the additional work. Which does not make it the best all of a sudden.
[+]
By DeathOfSiren 2012-12-08 23:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyler said: »
If you really really want to get into it you have current TP value triggers in your spellcast to gearswap into different sets when you get hit. IE you use your 5 hit gear and get hit once or twice swapping you into your 6 hit with more multi attacks for the final rounds of your tp phase.

Ive never seen anyone factor in the marginal decreases in average attack rounds per ws rounds that multi attack gives you. IE with the occurance of 1 DA proc your 6 hit is a 5 hit, 1TA Proc a 4 hit etc.

If yout HP isnt full, your merits mean nothing. Lets ban everything but galka/elvaan from being front line jobs b/c they dont have the hp to support it. You can use spellcast to swap out oneiros when you dont have sufficient mp
You can have spellcast turn your drawdistance, character models displayed and effects to minimum so you can engage a fraction of a second faster. Spend $200 a month for internet so you can have a the smallest amount of latency with the servers.

Where you draw the line doesnt mean its the best. It is the point at where you say, the marginal gains in dps arent worth the additional work. Which does not make it the best all of a sudden.

I'm going to have to agree with this post. Really puts things into perspective.
[+]
 Leviathan.Egonn
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2012-12-10 07:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If someone is that pro with spellcast, they're not asking questions about what they should be using on any job haha. But yes, brilliant point.
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-12-10 08:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks.

This is what I'm currently using for my DT Hybrid build in Legion. It's got 31% PDT and 26% haste with a good amount of offensive stats in there as well. While I'm not reaching the PDT cap, I'm not sacrificing too much offensively and taking a lot less damage in the process. If I see a big spell or TP move incoming I switch to full turtle/mdt build to soften the blow as much as possible.

In a zerg, I'd say Phorcys Schuhs are the way to go. Outside of zerg where you find yourself solo tanking, I'd adjust my build around Ravager's calligae +2 for that extra 20% Retaliation rate.

Just my two cents I guess. xD
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-12-10 09:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

thats what i tossed together for Legion Hybrid TP/DT set. (I dont have Kaggen belt or cool stuff like a Dring) Its mostly similar to hotsoups set.

It has 24%Haste, 49 Acc, 32 PTD, 26MDT. Not sure how many Acc one should shot at for a Hybrid TP Build in Legion.. i tryed to reach like 50 cause i read somewhere(i think it was in the Uph thread) that this would be a good number.
 Phoenix.Ayrendel
user: Ayrendel
By Phoenix.Ayrendel 2012-12-10 14:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bravura hybrid set with aftermath up.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-12-10 14:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Which weapon is the best one to use with a Hybrid set in Legion anyways?
Ukon is the one with the least accuracy and Ukko is'nt always great in there, Bravura can utilize it's AM, Ragnarok's crit rate is'nt really worth much on some mobs?
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-12-10 14:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd think that a crit-is-a-crit-is-a-crit. Just because it has reduced efficacy doesn't mean it's not a desirable. You just don't want to maximize that statistic if other stats make a larger impact.