users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » [dev1110] Job Adjustments: Blue Mage
[dev1110] Job Adjustments: Blue Mage
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-18 18:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU can Requiescat Puddings and other NMs resistant to physical damage (*), sleep things resistant to dark sleep (*), quickly erase multiple people, dispel soulflayers (*), provide emergency heals, stunlock annoying NMs (*)...

MNK hits things. That's about all it's got going for it, and it's not even the best choice for that.

(*) also BLU hits things.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-04-18 18:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hasn't it been determined that two-handers benefit the most from embrava/haste? Why would anyone take 4 monks anyways? I've always thought it was best to have different types of damage, so 4 of any job doesn't sound like a good setup. If I did take 4 of one job it would never be 4 monks.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-04-18 18:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

largest gain =/= best DD

Which is not to say that a 2hand job is or is not ideal, just that the presence of Embrava is not necessarily causative.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-04-18 18:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Minjo said: »
What's the obsession with MNK? Any number of jobs are better for Nyzul.
Wow. Take your PUP fetish elsewhere.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-04-18 19:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets not turn this into yet another Nyzul thread, Blus and Sams have always flourished in the event, and Neo-Nyzul didn't change that.

On topic, I've never been the blu to use Diffusion, right now I use blu solely for dynamis, and I duo-trio with a pair of dancers, so this update does nothing for me and I don't see it having an impact on most Blus out there.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-18 19:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't been one for Diffusion either. People tout its utility, but it doesn't really have any. Anything that a BLU with Siffusion can impart upon the party that's actually useful can be done by other jobs, sometimes even more effectively.

Buffs that are suitable to cast with Diffusion:

-Animating Wail (Can be done by just about any mage or support job and can already be AoE'd by SMN. It does make it much more MP efficient for the BLU though.)

-Battery Charge (I would rarely ever consider this tbh. It's more MP efficient for the BLU, but Animating Wail is moreso.)

-Triumphant Roar (For circumstances where you don't have attack+ temp items. Its duration doesn't make it very useful for anything except zerg type situations and other boss encounters that you do not expect will last long.)

-Magic Barrier (Questionable since every other form of Stoneskin overwrites it and it's only good for magic damage.)

-Exuviation (Not so much anymore, but it alone used to be worth merits in Diffusion.)

-Orcish Counterstance (Idk, this would mostly be for fun. I don't see it being terribly useful in any real situations especially due to the duration.)

-Occultation (Meh. Would be better if Blink wasn't wiped by AoEs, but it could be ok for some stuff.)

-Amplification (A decent MDB and MAB boost for a decent enough duration.)

-Saline Coat (For some sort of oh ***moment where you know there's a big magical AoE coming up. Honestly, these situations are incredibly few and far between and the duration is pretty trash.)

Buffs that are not suitable for Diffusion:

-Cocoon/Harden Shell (Why)

-Pyric Bulwark (One free physical hit isn't that impressive. In my experience it doesn't work on dangerous AoEs either.)

-Memento Mori (Duration is far too short to be worthwhile.)

-Reactor Cool (Why)

-Warm Up (Why)

-Plasma Charge (Why)

-Barrier Tusk (Duration is too short.)

-Regeneration (Worthless when a mage can provide a stronger regen where you'd want one.)

Don't think I missed any. tl;dr: Diffusion isn't really useful, and heightened durations won't really change that. If only they'd lowered the recast to 5 minutes, it would be considerably more attractive.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-04-18 19:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said: »
Sorry to keep derailing this thread, but could you explain why blu is preferred over an additional mnk? Just hard to see how blu keeps up with a embrava/hasted mnk. I can see it being a bit better on kill all floors but probably a bit worse on boss floors... this about right?

It's probably weaker than DRK or WAR on boss floor, but certainly one of the best DD on kill all/family floors.

You only do 1 or maybe 2 boss floor a run, if bad luck probably 0 boss floors. But you're going to do way more kill all floors or kill family floors during climb, thus it's larger gain for your pt, and you gain ability to stun lock some NMs.

Stun lock is probably the real reason to bring it IMO, or maybe some additional dmg if WS is locked. Blank gaze is nice on soulflayers, but most of the time casting it on EP/DC soulflayers is just a waste of time. Req is decent dmg on flan NM, but DRK with twilight scythe can get the job done as well.
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-04-18 19:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Fenrir.Minjo said: »
What's the obsession with MNK? Any number of jobs are better for Nyzul.
Wow. Take your PUP fetish elsewhere.

I'm not allowed to have a PUP fetish :c
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-04-18 19:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Haven't been one for Diffusion either. People tout its utility, but it doesn't really have any. Anything that a BLU with Siffusion can impart upon the party that's actually useful can be done by other jobs, sometimes even more effectively.

Buffs that are suitable to cast with Diffusion:

-Animating Wail (Can be done by just about any mage or support job and can already be AoE'd by SMN. It does make it much more MP efficient for the BLU though.)

-Triumphant Roar (For circumstances where you don't have attack+ temp items. Its duration doesn't make it very useful for anything except zerg type situations and other boss encounters that you do not expect will last long.)

I often AoE animating wail just because I often lowman stuff and don't always have a mage in pt to haste. For example...duoing salvage with a THF, or duoing/trioing Abyssea with NIN or WAR. WHM is completely not needed, and AoE haste allow me to use other SJ for more dmg output.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-04-18 19:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Diffusion > Wail is the most common usage, but i still /shrug off Diffusion. I lowman abyssea less and less, but when I was doing it, the other jobs simply did without haste. I certainly didn't think about changing my subjob to support the party, every job in abyssea can pretty much sustain itself.
 Asura.Vrytreya
Server: Asura
user: VZX
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-04-18 20:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to do Diffusion > Saline coat for protection against Citadel Buster.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-20 07:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely useless. +5% per merit, +50% with 5/5 and +2 feet.
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
Server: Carbuncle
user: Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-04-20 08:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I still use Diffusion for Harden Shell and a few other things :<

im just wierd and should take that merit out and add it to Enchainment...but i dun wanna!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-20 08:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's even worse actually. The first merit doesn't give 5%, so it's a maximum bonus of +45% buff duration. 1/5 Diffusion could be argued for, but it is not very attractive. The best uses you get out of it will be saving about 25MP every 2 casts of Animating Wail or 22 extra MP from Battery Charge after accounting for MP cost.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-04-20 08:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Diffusion is nice enough for very rare situational uses but it's not practical unless you can full time the buffs and blu buffs other than haste and refresh are notoriously low duration. I still keep a single merit on it and have occasionally gotten use out of it.
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-04-20 08:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, i would've liked a Convergence buff also...but we cant have our non-existent cake and eat it too?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-04-20 08:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Diffusion is nice enough for very rare situational uses but it's not practical unless you can full time the buffs and blu buffs other than haste and refresh are notoriously low duration. I still keep a single merit on it and have occasionally gotten use out of it.

I do as well, but I wouldn't recommend 5/5 for anyone.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-20 08:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Convergence is already as good as it's going to get.

My final verdict: 1/5 Diffusion is ok since it's still reducing the recast to 10 minutes, but 5/5 is completely pointless and a waste of merits.

1/5 Diffusion
4/5 Enchainment
5/5 Assimilation
[+]
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2012-04-20 10:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

So the ordeal here is it increases the duration of these buffs up to 45%? would that not be good just for self buff alone? not just for others, just a thought.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-20 10:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You could read a couple of posts up the page as to why it is not a significant boost. What I listed is all you get out of 5/5 Diffusion+Mirage Charuqs as compared to 1/5 with no Charuqs. Effectively you gain an inventory slot, a dynamis run or two, and 4 useful merit slots in exchange for a pittance of MP and casting time.
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2012-04-20 10:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I was too lazy just came in the room like a guy without pants on.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2012-04-20 14:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention an abundance of things that can dispel.

Back to Nyzul group, the schs generally have free time to cast haste with perpetuance anyway. All of the other good spells are pretty lame in duration. It may have been better if Diffusion was on a 5 minute cool down which would allow us to use something like Orcish Counterstance/Triumphant Roar.

Exclusively looking at Nyzul, you'll get off 1 more diffusion than before if you use it as soon as it's up.
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-04-20 14:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Agerknux said: »
Not to mention an abundance of things that can dispel. Back to Nyzul group, the schs generally have free time to cast haste with perpetuance anyway. All of the other good spells are pretty lame in duration. It may have been better if Diffusion was on a 5 minute cool down which would allow us to use something like Orcish Counterstance/Triumphant Roar. Exclusively looking at Nyzul, you'll get off 1 more diffusion than before if you use it as soon as it's up.
generally...SCH is in Nyzul for Embrava...isnt it? but Diffusion is mainly for buffs that stack with other good buffs that a SCH.WHM,RDM,BRD cant provide in the potency BLU has...but your right...Diffusion isnt really used nor is it really worth it except for a few situations. But is till have it 1/5'd when those situations arise :<
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-20 16:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Both of the buffs you'd want to cast with Diffusion can and should be done by a SCH in Nyzul.
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2012-04-20 16:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Enuyasha said: »
Ragnarok.Agerknux said: »
Not to mention an abundance of things that can dispel. Back to Nyzul group, the schs generally have free time to cast haste with perpetuance anyway. All of the other good spells are pretty lame in duration. It may have been better if Diffusion was on a 5 minute cool down which would allow us to use something like Orcish Counterstance/Triumphant Roar. Exclusively looking at Nyzul, you'll get off 1 more diffusion than before if you use it as soon as it's up.
generally...SCH is in Nyzul for Embrava...isnt it? but Diffusion is mainly for buffs that stack with other good buffs that a SCH.WHM,RDM,BRD cant provide in the potency BLU has...but your right...Diffusion isnt really used nor is it really worth it except for a few situations. But is till have it 1/5'd when those situations arise :<

The potential blu spells that are unique are
Harden Shell/Cocoon: Short duration

Triumphant Roar: Extremely short duration

Magic Barrier: Better off with diamondhide or whm and/or sch aoe stoneskin than to set this and diffusion it.

Orcish Counterstance: Pretty awesome, if it weren't for the short duration.

Saline Coat: Maybe for anything that nukes hardcore. Not including nyzul, this won't help because of either Fools(VW), or infinite mp of healers (abyssea). I can't comment on legion yet. Oh yeah also kind of short duration.

Pyric Bulwark: 1hit? Already tied to UL to make things worse.
Occultation: Prothescar already mention that everything and their mother practically does aoes.

There are plenty more buffs that are unique to blu that stack with other buffs but pretty much all of them fall short for the poor base duration of them. Even with +2 relic and 5/5, a lot of them still would be useless because its tied to a 10 minute cool down.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [106 days between previous and next post]
 Ramuh.Xanathos
Server: Ramuh
user: xanathos
By Ramuh.Xanathos 2012-08-04 15:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

although i've always had diffusion 5/5 on my blu for years & found it very useful, when unbridled learning was released it kinda changed things & made diffusion almost a must-have for blu. harden shell IS usable with diffusion, which doubles the entire party's defense & defense buffs for 90sec. this is extremely useful for obvious reasons.

consider that smn's perfect defense also lasts 90sec while consuming a 2hr, but blu's harden shell is accessible every 5min. yes, PD is dt- & harden shell is def+, as i'm sure we're all aware. i'm also aware that dt-95% > def+100%. i just think this is a utility for blu & diffusion that some folks may not have stumbled upon yet.
[+]
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-08-04 15:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, I think most have known this for at least ~105 days
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-08-04 15:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Decimus said: »
lol, I think most have known this for at least ~105 days

Yet still, nobody cares about diffusion. I saw this on the main page and thought a new update was happening >_<. Stupid necros for stupid information.
[+]
 Fenrir.Elliott
user: Elliott
By Fenrir.Elliott 2012-08-04 15:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm happy with 1/5 merits in Diffusion. I also feel any more than that is a complete waste.
[+]