By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-18 10:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

04-18-2012 04:46 AM
[source]
Gildrein
Community Rep

[dev1110] Job Adjustments: Blue Mage

• Diffusion

• Recast time reduced from twenty minutes to ten.
    • Additional merit points no longer reduce casting time, but instead lengthen effect duration.

Subscribe

Other Job Adjustments:
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-04-18 11:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

With this update and augmented relic feet, a spell casted with diffusion will last double the amount of time. Seems kind of meh at first, but when you realize this allows you to keep haste up on a whole party 24/7, you can see it would have some situational uses.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-04-18 12:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see anything about the exact bonus from merits. I'm not ruling out ~20% per merit as a possibility, but until we know the exact bonus any such statements are jumping the gun.

Even then I'd probably stay with 1/5 Diffusion and 4/5 Enchainment though. The only buffs that would allow us to fulltime are Animating Wail and Battery Charge, neither buff is particularly hard to come by without altering merits. Our other buffs generally don't merit the additional merits either, though Diffusion + Orcish Counterstance in a party of MNKs can be rather amusing.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-04-18 12:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

/shrug still dont have diffusion merited.
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2012-04-18 12:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If nothing else, it's just going to be nice having a recast of only 10 minutes with only 1 upgrade. I'll make a better decision on my group-2 merits once I see the actual numbers, though.

Unless something happened between Lv.90 and Lv.99 that makes Enchainment even more useful than it already was, anyway. Sorry, I've been away for a while. Anyone got any pointers for this? lol
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-04-18 13:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Can see it being useful in nyzul.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-04-18 13:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »

Had similar thought of a setup like mnkX4 blu sch (with sch stalling embrava full time using magian specs). Lamp code floors could be the death of it though for obvious reasons :(
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2012-04-18 13:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Surprised to see that Convergence wasn't changed to 5 minutes.

Well it's nice to see Diffusion timers go down, but I don't 5/5 Diffusion nor will this update change where I put merits in group 2. Not to mention besides Animating Wail/Battery Charge, all other buff spells have pretty short durations anyway.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-04-18 13:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind that they did this as I do have a single merit put in, but I have a hard time understanding why it wasn't done when all the other merit enhancements were. Same stuff as then. I saw Blu adjustments and I nearly squee'ed with hope that it was for voidwatch procs or something.
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2012-04-18 13:26:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Agerknux said: »
Surprised to see that Convergence wasn't changed to 5 minutes.
They're only making this change to group-2 merit abilities whose upgrades are their recast timers. Making it so their new base recast is their old fully-merited recast, and giving their upgrades a different effect.
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2012-04-18 13:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said: »

Had similar thought of a setup like mnkX4 blu sch (with sch stalling embrava full time using magian specs). Lamp code floors could be the death of it though for obvious reasons :(

99% sure you can't use specs in Nyzul. Best you could do is lock on a lamp or a blue chest that drops.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-18 16:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't expect this to be more than an additional 50% buff duration for a total possible bonus of 75% with Mirage Charuqs +2. This would make the most MP efficient spell cast with Diffusion Animating Wail, 8:45 minutes of haste. Battery Charge would also be somewhat ok. Any other buff still wouldn't last long enough to be worth using Diffusion on. Situationally I can see dumping merits into this, but it still won't be terribly useful without double or so buff time increases, and I simply do not see that happening.
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2012-04-18 16:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing about voidwatch either

STILL NOT GONNA USE DIFFUSION BECAUSE I DON'T PLAY BLU MUCH ANYMORE ANYWAYS
[+]
By usagiboi 2012-04-18 17:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Eyrhika said: »

99% sure you can't use specs in Nyzul. Best you could do is lock on a lamp or a blue chest that drops.

100% sure. I have been trying to think of a way to eliminate a 2nd SCH, and spec were the first thing I tried :(. even the nin jobemote since it locks your char.. but no luck. boxes and lamps are not reliable.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-04-18 17:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

usagiboi said: »
Lakshmi.Eyrhika said: »

100% sure. I have been trying to think of a way to eliminate a 2nd SCH, and spec were the first thing I tried :(. even the nin jobemote since it locks your char.. but no luck. boxes and lamps are not reliable.

Good to know, thanks for the input!
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-04-18 17:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure I'll ever understand everyone's hard-on with getting rid of scholars.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-18 17:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

More efficient application of buffs is bad mmkay?
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-04-18 17:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It's as if everyone forgets that Embrava isn't the only thing they're doing, and that you'd be hard-pressed to find another job that retains its value while standing at the rune.

You know, then there's Embrava.
 Asura.Usagiboi
Server: Asura
user: usagiboi
By Asura.Usagiboi 2012-04-18 17:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Minjo said: »
It's as if everyone forgets that Embrava isn't the only thing they're doing, and that you'd be hard-pressed to find another job that retains its value while standing at the rune.

You know, then there's Embrava.

emphasis on "2nd SCH" my idea was to allow for more options on the sixth member, not to eliminate SCH all together.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-04-18 17:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Except that stops being applicable after ~15 minutes.
 Asura.Usagiboi
By Asura.Usagiboi 2012-04-18 17:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The debate was on Magian specs locking Tabula Rasa. so that after 12.5min, that same sch can refresh embrava.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-04-18 17:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if that were possible, which it's not, you've now lost your healer. Embrava and regen are powerful, but you'll likely end up with at least one death per run that way.

Like I said, I don't know why everyone's trying to reinvent the wheel. We know how to do Nyzul already.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-04-18 17:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

And who's going to be healing, regen 5, perpetuance hasting, enthundering? 2 SCHs is solid, and I'd be hard pressed to find anything that even remotely scratches the benefits it provides.
[+]
 Asura.Usagiboi
By Asura.Usagiboi 2012-04-18 17:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok people this is a blu thread, and With the "mnk x4 blu sch" setup above (not that this is or is not the setup I would go with). the new update "may" provide the blu hastega full time on the DD's at the same time DDing it self. and providing moderate heals. The sch would only be stalled for the 12.5 min. the remainder of the run the sch would be off the book and back to supporting its DD's.

I am SCH main. and am loving the support I am seeing in this thread for SCH, so by all means bring 2 schs. Was just poking at other options.

EDIT: also yes there is no known way to hold tabula rasa in nyzul. So the entire point is moot. So re-rail this thread... so how bout that diffusion!
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-04-18 18:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Solution: bring BLU and two SCH
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-18 18:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU should already be taking one of the DD slots to begin with. Diffusion buffs don't really enhance the effectiveness of a job that already destroys Nyzul.

DD DD DD BLU SCH SCH is the ideal setup.

All Diffusion will ever be useful for is helping out the WHMs or providing a burst of Attack during a zerg. 2 minutes of an extra 15% attack bonus is pretty nice in events where you wouldn't be able to get a Stalwart's Tonic, but surely isn't close to gamebreaking and barely makes the ability more useful at all or substantiates the place of a BLU in a zerg to begin with.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-04-18 18:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Decent change, I've always had Diffusion for the utility just in case and having the recast down is a bonus.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-04-18 18:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
BLU should already be taking one of the DD slots to begin with. Diffusion buffs don't really enhance the effectiveness of a job that already destroys Nyzul.

DD DD DD BLU SCH SCH is the ideal setup.

All Diffusion will ever be useful for is helping out the WHMs or providing a burst of Attack during a zerg. 2 minutes of an extra 15% attack bonus is pretty nice in events where you wouldn't be able to get a Stalwart's Tonic, but surely isn't close to gamebreaking and barely makes the ability more useful at all or substantiates the place of a BLU in a zerg to begin with.

Sorry to keep derailing this thread, but could you explain why blu is preferred over an additional mnk? Just hard to see how blu keeps up with a embrava/hasted mnk. I can see it being a bit better on kill all floors but probably a bit worse on boss floors... this about right?
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-04-18 18:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the obsession with MNK? Any number of jobs are better for Nyzul.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-18 18:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

this about right?

No, it isn't. In a situation where BLU wouldn't be capable of using its spells to its advantage (in more ways than one) I'd agree, however Nyzul is BLU's stomping ground. BLU's utility and damage is well above average in this event, and to not put one in place of a "heavy" DD is foolhardy. I would barely consider bringing a MNK anyway.

Not to mention Sudden Lunge.
[+]
First Page 2 3