Best Star-Trek Captain?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Best Star-Trek Captain?
Best Star-Trek Captain?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
VIP
By alyria 2012-03-01 23:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Man I didn't like her in TNG

I was hoping she wouldve got killed off that season especially in the episode she was dying from an illness
[+]
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2012-03-01 23:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't read any posts yet! just gonna post myself.

I think Capn Picard was probably the best..mainly because the internet loves him. I've never seen an episode where Picard has not tried to be anything but fair or made me question his competency. Then again I haven't seen every TNG episode.

I do like Janeway though. I think the shows writing really brought down whatever good she ever did or could have done. Even the pilot episode, the reasoning to why they were sent 50 bajillion lightyears from home was lame and I would have thought Janeways internal angst would have been more founded had something less lame occurred. The ending was just as lame. Chakotay...srsly...Chakotay...Seven?...just..no

My favorite captain of all captains though is Captain Archer. That guy was crazy. His insanity makes me that much more fond of him. One episode he is Super Noble Archer! then the next he is Super Racist Archer and then suddenly he transforms into Hulk Archer who likes to smash things and kill/torture/threaten people! season 3 is the best for this. Marathon that season and enjoy the crazy. In a for realz way though it's my favorite of all star trek seasons from any series (and I've pretty much just seen all of voyager and ent lol) even if Archer cracks me up.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-03-01 23:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Daus said: »
Chakotay...srsly...Chakotay...Seven?...just..no
Yah that was super lame.

THEY SHOULD have had her, have an affair with Paris. And have Seven and Belana duke it out on the holo-deck!
 Kujata.Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2012-03-01 23:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Chakotay...srsly...Chakotay...Seven?...just..no
Yah that was super lame.

THEY SHOULD have had her, have an affair with Paris. And have Seven and Belana duke it out on the holo-deck!

she did have an affair with Paris.....but they were lizards..at..the time.................
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-03-01 23:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

lizards? what?! serious? what episode was this?
 Kujata.Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2012-03-01 23:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Threshold...the most hated episode by everyone ever.

they had lots of lizard babies. :|

edit: Janeway and Paris that is..I dunno if you're talking Seven and paris or Janeway and Paris...wtf

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Meenners
Server: Carbuncle
user: Meenners
By Carbuncle.Meenners 2012-03-02 19:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Raelia said:
Space Station != Ship

Okay, so three seasons in he was made an armchair Captain, then in season six he actually got a ship. Whatever...

That's a pretty weak excuse given the entire premise of DS9 involved the political and social elements of space station on the boundaries of federation space.

Being in charge of DS9 puts you in a leadership position which is equivalent to what a captain does. People report to you, decisions are made by your person and you're responsible for lives within a closed space. Pretty simple equivalency imo.

That aside, every series had amazing episodes that brought out the captain in the actors and then you had yo get rubbish like Threshold that make your neurons facepalm. Even Enterprise had some pretty awesome episodes.

Sisko does captain-like things.

lol i love how the console blows up with such force that it incapacitates the ensign, yet Worf just glides into the chair and the console is good as new >_>

I got so emerged in watching this clip, I had forgotten it was clip lol I went "awwwww" when the fullscreen stopped lol
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2012-03-02 19:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

best ST ep imo~
 Carbuncle.Meenners
Server: Carbuncle
user: Meenners
By Carbuncle.Meenners 2012-03-02 19:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Asura.Miyara said: »
Kes....
BEST EPISODE OF VOYAGER. is when Kes Dies. Such an annoying character.
I wouldn't say most annoying but yeah top 2 for me lol *looking at you neelix*

I was "ok" with kes...

...num num num...

but 7of9 tops her as character
...num num num... too lol

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2012-03-02 19:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't read any posts yet! just gonna post myself.

I think Capn Picard was probably the best..mainly because the internet loves him. I've never seen an episode where Picard has not tried to be anything but fair or made me question his competency. Then again I haven't seen every TNG episode.

I do like Janeway though. I think the shows writing really brought down whatever good she ever did or could have done. Even the pilot episode, the reasoning to why they were sent 50 bajillion lightyears from home was lame and I would have thought Janeways internal angst would have been more founded had something less lame occurred. The ending was just as lame. Chakotay...srsly...Chakotay...Seven?...just..no

My favorite captain of all captains though is Captain Archer. That guy was crazy. His insanity makes me that much more fond of him. One episode he is Super Noble Archer! then the next he is Super Racist Archer and then suddenly he transforms into Hulk Archer who likes to smash things and kill/torture/threaten people! season 3 is the best for this. Marathon that season and enjoy the crazy. In a for realz way though it's my favorite of all star trek seasons from any series (and I've pretty much just seen all of voyager and ent lol) even if Archer cracks me up.
Daus, I knew there was a reason I liked you a lot :D
[+]
 Leviathan.Bimbam
Server: Leviathan
user: Bimbam
By Leviathan.Bimbam 2012-03-02 19:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Slipstream and Transwarp were two separate things. Voyager at one point got hold of a Transwarp coil, and got 10-15 years distance out of it before it burnt out. It was a common thing in Voyager that about once every two seasons something happened to let them cover a great distance so the writers could start from scratch on villains again. The Transwarp coil, the Slipstream drive, Kes....

While I agree it was a plot device to help the writers, they covered slipstream perfectly to tie in with the lore of Andromeda, which I always took to be within the same "universe" but fundamentally further along (Voyager is what, 24th century? Earth joins commonwealth in 52nd century I think). I know Andromeda was basically Star Trek idea offcuts, but Idk if rodders ever actually intended for it to be considered a vastly future continuation?

Quoting wiki:
Quote:
(voyager)...With the shipboard computer unable to map the phase variance in the slipstream fast enough to calculate deflector corrections
- they die

Quote:
(Andromeda)...Due to the complex nature of slipstream probability and difficulty in mapping slipstream, only biological entities are capable of successfully navigating it

Was a shame Andromeda get weird after season 2. Sorbo wasn't terrible either.

And as for the final episode of Voyager discrepancies, I chalk it up to the entire last season being in complete disarray. I would guess the writers were not anticipating being renewed and when they were, did not really have the heart (or talent?) to give the show a final decent send-off.
Everything in this season was disjointed, and felt like watching Firefly (ie. they were forced to rush out some ideas that should have been covered more believably slowly (chakotay + seven for example)).
The season finale was similarly rushed and should have spanned half a season. Imo it would have been good if it did.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2012-03-02 19:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Andromeda had a cool cast tho :x
 Leviathan.Bimbam
By Leviathan.Bimbam 2012-03-02 20:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps Voyager was always destined to fail.

When you compare ST with SG (I know you really can't compare them but meh):
TNG = SG1 (10 seasons)
DS9 = Atlantis (5 seasons)
VGR = SGU (despite highest production values, argueably best acting and imo decent plot. 2 seasons)

Perhaps the concept itself is simply less conducive to a long running show. I think people grow tired of the overlying theme of returning home and either find it less and less believable or simply depressing.

In a sense, Andromeda countered this effect by simply denying the possibility of him returning.

Edit(more): Andromeda had an awesome cast. My issue was that upto the season 2 finale, the show was entirely story driven and followed a distinct plot, a good thing. Then they decided to essentially ignore the story built up so far and simply say "Oh you know what, we know this magog sun/planet/ship thing is otw, but it's gona take ages so were gona ignore it. Let's just make every episode essentially standalone stories and ignore the main plot we just built up to entice people."
I have no fundamental issue with standalone adventures, TNG did it for years. But you cannot build up a back story then just ignore it and plug in fillers, that's what Bleach and Naruto do. TNG did it the correct way round. Provide multiple individual adventures to provide character building and advancement, and then start to weave larger plots in re. Q, Borg, etc.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-03-02 20:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Best sci-fi space tvshow after DS9 and Voyager imo. Plus it had Xena(Lucy Lawless)!

I still love her on Spartacus.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2012-03-02 20:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Best sci-fi space tvshow now that Liela has fixed it. ~.^

I kid, I kid! <3

(sort of. I love Farscape.)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2012-03-02 20:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorely tempted to edit all posts with this:
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-03-02 20:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That show was cancelled faster than Andromeda! I watched it dont get me wrong i like those type of shows, but It had bad acting! And a really really weird plot.... It was like a cross between cowboys and star trek with a open prostitute on board.

Battlestar Galactica had an amazing cast with amazing acting. Edward James Olmos enough said. The man is an amazing actor. Really was the star of the show. And it had the chick from Melrose place and Xena lol
 Leviathan.Bimbam
By Leviathan.Bimbam 2012-03-02 20:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Firefly was not cancelled due to poor ratings.

Go ask Fox for the *** up political reason it holds onto the license but refuses to air it.

I loved it. It wasn't cowboy bebop, but it was trying to be :D
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-03-02 20:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Bimbam said: »
Firefly was not cancelled due to poor ratings.

Go ask Fox for the *** up political reason it holds onto the license but refuses to air it.

I loved it. It wasn't cowboy bebop, but it was trying to be :D

For fox 4.48M viewers is bad.... most shows like Glee average 9ish
 Leviathan.Bimbam
By Leviathan.Bimbam 2012-03-02 20:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

OK, Technically "Bad ratings" was their argument. But bear in mind why it had bad ratings.

Fox advertised it as something it wasn't
Fox aired it out of order
Fox changed the night the show aired
Fox threw it onto Friday night slot (which is notoriously a show killer)
Fox killed the show before it even had a chance.

And while I cannot find it, I am pretty sure I read somewhere Fox is refusing to sell it to a channel that would see 4.4m as a decent number.

Hell they even changed the pilot.

For whatever reason, Fox did not want the show to succeed. One could debate the reasons behind it, imo political, but I do not think there is any dispute they are the cause.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-03-02 21:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I watched the show via netflix, so it was in chronological order. So i cant really speak on Fox airing it out of order. But from what im reading its peak was 4M~ and it started going down hill into the 2M~ viewer mark.

The only thing that i really liked about Firefly was the costumes. I havn't seen costumes that good since DS9. It was just too weird for me to really like.

EDIT: didnt it air on SciFy for a while?
 Leviathan.Bimbam
By Leviathan.Bimbam 2012-03-02 21:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

No idea, don't live in US. Also if it is repeats it is not exactly the same, fox get royalties, show does not get continuation.

I watched on DVDs myself, just read into why it was canceled after finishing and wondering where the hell the rest of it was :(

As for what happens to shows in Friday night slot on fox, look at Chuck season 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chuck_U.S._viewers.png

4.4 Million is not bad when you consider you are basically losing 1~2 million viewers by default purely from the timeslot.
 Leviathan.Bimbam
By Leviathan.Bimbam 2012-03-02 21:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

On topic(ish), it turns out the original Star Trek was one of the earliest examples of this Friday Death Slot phenomenon. Did not know that.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-02 21:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said: »
Also, I'd like to refer you back to when chainmail was the thing and then arrows became a major armament.. It pushed it's way through, it didn't need an opening that fit it's size, it created one.
Not quite true. There were several types of arrowheads in use at the time. Broadhead arrows were intended to fell horses, likely injuring their riders and potentially tripping more horses in the process. If you wanted to pierce chainmail, you used a bodkin arrowhead. They're basically large needles, which could easily find holes in chainmail. However, it's also been shown that they can pierce plate. Granted the effectiveness of such an arrow is mitigated by that layer of armor, but it still carries enough force to pierce flesh and do harm. We're talking about (fantasy) technology well beyond that sort of physics though. An energy barrier would operate on an atomic or even sub-atomic level.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-03-02 22:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, if this thread is going here...

...then it's only fair that it should go here, too, if we're talking about "best captains/crew" for Star Trek...
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2012-03-02 22:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is making me go through the entire TNG series. I hope you're all happy.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-03-02 22:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

That show was cancelled faster than Andromeda! I watched it dont get me wrong i like those type of shows, but It had bad acting! And a really really weird plot.... It was like a cross between cowboys and star trek with a open prostitute on board.

Battlestar Galactica had an amazing cast with amazing acting. Edward James Olmos enough said. The man is an amazing actor. Really was the star of the show. And it had the chick from Melrose place and Xena lol
I don't know you but I hate you. Battlestar better than Firefly????? /sigh

By the by Olmos is terrible.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-03-02 22:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
This thread is making me go through the entire TNG series. I hope you're all happy.
This makes me very happy!
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8