Best Star-Trek Captain?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Best Star-Trek Captain?
Best Star-Trek Captain?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-03-01 07:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Picard once told a story to a certain Ensign, over tea and sandwiches no less, about how he got into a bar fight and was stabbed in the back with a Nausicaan dagger, and while it was sticking out of his chest in the front he just laughed about it.

No contest.

Edit: My bad, it was coffee ;D

Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-03-01 07:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

By Robbie 2012-03-01 07:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Miyara said: »
Know why Captain Sisko is better than Captain Kirk?

Captain Sisko can save his son from Klingons.

Agreed and for punching Q in the face
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-03-01 07:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Poor Voyager was plagued with too much use of the reset button and a crew that was ultimately forgettable. How many times was that poor ship blown to pieces again? Then again they had to deal with the Borg and we saw what happened when Picard had his run in with some Borg...

Also never get why Kirk is considered the best Captain just because he did it first. Shatner had as many highs and lows as Picard and many of the TOS episodes have aged really poorly alongside their TNG counterparts. Kirk is akin to Sean Connery's Bond here.

TOS set the foundation for Star Trek but it's my belief that TNG improved on the formula, cutting out some of the idealism for realism and DS9 went even further in portraying the Federation as a world of political, social and economic struggles that we'd come to expect from the future.

Though the cast of TOS have become cultural icons that defined a generation of nerds, TNG improved on the formula and DS9 continued in that same vein.

Really, the two black sheep are VOY and ENT which both tried to stray away from the Federation and wound up paying for it amongst fans. I do have favorites from amongst all the series though.
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-03-01 07:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Though, Data was pretty awesome as captain for a bit too:

[+]
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2012-03-01 08:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Too bad they can't make interesting sci-fi shows anymore, because the average viewer is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE/has no attention span. Last few decent sci-fi shows I watched didn't make it out of the 2nd season. Some not even past the 1st.... If it isn't reality T.V. or a cop show morons don't wanna watch it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Bimbam
Server: Leviathan
user: Bimbam
By Leviathan.Bimbam 2012-03-01 08:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Picard is the better captain, but I had an argument about this not so long ago and concluded...
2. ...Kirk would win in a fight. Fact.
3. Someone say Sisqo?

4. Janeway = Tsundere ^^, definitely grew on me eventually.
5. Archer = Douchebag -.- Stick to quantum leap.
 Leviathan.Bimbam
Server: Leviathan
user: Bimbam
By Leviathan.Bimbam 2012-03-01 08:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Too bad they can't make interesting sci-fi shows anymore

The crowd-sourced soon to be released L5 looks like it could be interesting.

Could be a pile o' *** too :S

EDIT: By soon to be released I actually mean already out and I didn't notice -.-
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-03-01 08:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Raelia said: »
Though, Data was pretty awesome as captain for a bit too:

Awww man this is one of the best episodes ever!
By Drjones 2012-03-01 10:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this a trick question?

I mean, I'm not a big Star Trek fan but even I know Picard was the best.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-03-01 10:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Why can't any Star Trek thread (on any forum) that mentions Capt. Sisko NOT have a reference to that HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE "Thong Song"?
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-03-01 10:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
Why can't any Star Trek thread (on any forum) that mentions Capt. Sisko NOT have a reference to that HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE "Thong Song"?
Because that's how relatively forgettable Sisko was that he gets overridden by a one-hit-wonder? Dude wasn't even technically a Captain.

People at least remember who Janeway was...
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2012-03-01 10:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This in and of itself is another reference to the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE "Thong Song." (and so is my response)

Dude wasn't even technically a Captain.
What?

Sisko is promoted to Captain on Stardate 48959 (DS9, Season 3 Episode The Adversary).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Sisko
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2012-03-01 11:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Any British Capitaine > all! xD
 Carbuncle.Cardinalgate
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Cardinalgate 2012-03-01 11:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

i would have to say Kirk
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-03-01 11:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Because that's how relatively forgettable Sisko was that he gets overridden by a one-hit-wonder? Dude wasn't even technically a Captain.

People at least remember who Janeway was...

People only remember Janeway because the cast of Voyager may as well have slept through the series. Anyone think of Chakotay, Tuvok or Paris when think of a charismatic Federation Crew?

Janeway and the EMH could have been the only two on the ship and got more done. I tried, TRIED to like Voyager but the episodes were just all over the place. TNG/TOS had its share of terribad episodes like:

or

but the majority of Voyager was just... mediocre.

DS9 on the other hand made significant improvements to the Star Trek franchise, the main characters had solid development, you had a variety of people to attach yourself to and alot of serious issues were addressed through episodes that questioned the Federation and many of the species we'd come to know.
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-03-01 11:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow said: »
Dude wasn't even technically a Captain.
What?

Sisko is promoted to Captain on Stardate 48959 (DS9, Season 3 Episode The Adversary).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Sisko
Space Station != Ship

Okay, so three seasons in he was made an armchair Captain, then in season six he actually got a ship. Whatever...
By Quiznor 2012-03-01 11:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said: »
Star trek over the next generation, but picard over kirk. Kind of a trick question for me.

Am I the only one that got this? lol

But the real answer is picard
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-03-01 11:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Raelia said:
Space Station != Ship

Okay, so three seasons in he was made an armchair Captain, then in season six he actually got a ship. Whatever...

That's a pretty weak excuse given the entire premise of DS9 involved the political and social elements of space station on the boundaries of federation space.

Being in charge of DS9 puts you in a leadership position which is equivalent to what a captain does. People report to you, decisions are made by your person and you're responsible for lives within a closed space. Pretty simple equivalency imo.

That aside, every series had amazing episodes that brought out the captain in the actors and then you had yo get rubbish like Threshold that make your neurons facepalm. Even Enterprise had some pretty awesome episodes.

Sisko does captain-like things.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-03-01 11:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to completely disagree.. I was bored as ***while watching DS9, and before I even really paid attention, I basically already knew everything that happened in TNG.. Don't quiz me, I can't just state things off the top of my head, but as I watch it, I'm constantly reminded of ***I was forced to watch..

Anyways, DS9 bored the *** (yes it needs capitalization) out of me.. I like Voyager, it just appeals to me.. Maybe because it's just so different from what I was forced to watch all those years.

I like the fact that (at least for the majority of the series) they're completely on their own. They have their resources and wits and that's it.. They really have no help. Yes they get help, but to get help they either have to give it, or use diplomacy or something to get it..

Plus I like how Janeway just gets ***done.. If she wants answers, she doesn't care what stands between her and the answers, she gets them.

Could the ship be run without them? Yes, I suppose it could, but there's more to 'running a ship' than simply keeping it going. The ship also couldn't be run without B'Elanna, Harry or Neelix.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2012-03-01 11:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

while I liked voyager a lot, the ship definately could've run without neelix, he's like the jarjar binks of star trek, imo
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-03-01 12:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
while I liked voyager a lot, the ship definately could've run without neelix, he's like the jarjar binks of star trek, imo
Voyager couldn't really run without Neelix.. I mean any other trader native to the Delta Quadrant could have taken his place, but they needed him. At least until they reached the Necrid Expanse, then his usefulness is debatable. He'd never been passed that point and his knowledge was very limited passed that point, but before that, his knowledge and counsel was invaluable.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2012-03-01 12:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
Voyager couldn't really run without Neelix.. I mean any other trader native to the Delta Quadrant could have taken his place, but they needed him. At least until they reached the Necrid Expanse, then his usefulness is debatable. He'd never been passed that point and his knowledge was very limited passed that point, but before that, his knowledge and counsel was invaluable.

damn, good point.

I'll concede I was wicked wrong, but the character was annoying
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-03-01 12:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I found Kes the most annoying.. The way she'd screech and her god awful over acting..
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-03-01 12:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said: »
I have to completely disagree.. I was bored as ***while watching DS9, and before I even really paid attention, I basically already knew everything that happened in TNG.. Don't quiz me, I can't just state things off the top of my head, but as I watch it, I'm constantly reminded of ***I was forced to watch..

Anyways, DS9 bored the *** (yes it needs capitalization) out of me.. I like Voyager, it just appeals to me.. Maybe because it's just so different from what I was forced to watch all those years.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for politics and DS9 was chock full of it.

Voyager had a great premise but for a crew trapped in the Delta Quadrant together the crew just never seemed to have the synergy that TOS, TNG or even DS9 had. I just never fully bought Ensign Kim and B'Elanna as they were underdeveloped and Seven of Nine/Chakotay being romantically involved seemed awkward and forced. Jadzia and Worf? Ok. Riker and Troi? Fine. Seven and Chakotay? About as believable as Neelix piloting a shuttlecraft.

Janeway was an interesting character which is why I don't get the hate she receives but I assume that was because she frequently played the 'tough woman' model and acted as a matronly figure who wasn't above throwing you in the brig but also wasn't above celebrating with you after a job well done. But could anyone blame her? Given the circumstances of the ship, this wasn't going to be Picards Enterprise where things were frequently cheerful.

My main issue with Voyager was my disconnection with the characters and the frequent use of the reset button that made consequences on Voyager a non-issue. I don't hate anything Star Trek (except some of the movies) but Voyager was pretty low on the ladder for me.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-03-01 12:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Raelia said:
Space Station != Ship

That's a pretty weak excuse given the entire premise of DS9 involved the political and social elements of space station on the boundaries of federation space.

Being in charge of DS9 puts you in a leadership position which is equivalent to what a captain does. People report to you, decisions are made by your person and you're responsible for lives within a closed space. Pretty simple equivalency imo.

That aside, every series had amazing episodes that brought out the captain in the actors and then you had yo get rubbish like Threshold that make your neurons facepalm. Even Enterprise had some pretty awesome episodes.

Sisko does captain-like things.

lol i love how the console blows up with such force that it incapacitates the ensign, yet Worf just glides into the chair and the console is good as new >_>
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-03-01 12:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

lol yeah I noticed that.

I also like how the Defiant gets the council members beamed off along with Gul and the rest of the crew gets left to be blown up.

Sucks to be a grunt.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-03-01 12:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll gladly give you the Chakotay and Seven thing.. Despite my wife's love of Seven, the show could have done without her, she wasn't needed. Even my wife will tell you that match was just ridiculous.. Even Seven and The Doctor would of been a better match that seemed more logical/symmetrical.

If by the reset button you mean the constant use of paradoxes, that's another part that I really like about it.. I love the Universe, and have since long before I ever got into science fiction.. Particularly the things that make the least sense..

._. I often get stuck staying awake at night, unable to sleep, just trying to make sense of temporal paradoxes, or at least understand them, how they could make sense, etc. So that part of Voyager just appeals to me.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2012-03-01 12:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »
Bismarck.Nevill said: »
Star trek over the next generation, but picard over kirk. Kind of a trick question for me.

Am I the only one that got this? lol

But the real answer is picard

I think you are, and I agree.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8