Ninian's Guide to Chocobo Raising
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Phoenix.Hats
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: hatsumomo
By Phoenix.Hats 2011-12-14 19:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

mm well right now my stats are for the turky A/D/D/D has G&C... an yes cheating it all up already with tokens...
 Fenrir.Niniann
Server: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-12-14 19:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, tokens make life much easier. :( gogogo~
 Phoenix.Hats
By Phoenix.Hats 2011-12-14 19:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

considering my old crappy ( still best of all i did beein unknown just raising for shits an giggles ) does in the 8 rounds circle 26 points .... so ya.. all im doin is see for hours the cs......
 Sylph.Yajirobe
Server: Sylph
user: Taruzard
By Sylph.Yajirobe 2011-12-18 10:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

How much do Chocotrain tokens increase a stat by? :o
 Phoenix.Lyali
user: Lyali
By Phoenix.Lyali 2011-12-18 12:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bawwww I haven't played XI in months and I read this thread and now I miss my babies. T-T

Thank you for this guide though. It fills in a lot of holes I had from my personal experiences. I managed to raise a C1 champion through trial and error, but this just makes it so much easier for everyone. If someone asks me about chocobos again I'll be sending them here.

If/when I start playing XI again I know I'll be hatching a new baby.
 Phoenix.Hats
By Phoenix.Hats 2011-12-18 12:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

the ones for raise the stats while its still beein raised its bout 7 for 1 upgrade...

the trains when its retired bout 10~11for 1 upgrade
 Fenrir.Dibble
user: Dibble
By Fenrir.Dibble 2012-01-10 10:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »
On day two it's finally time to feed your chocobo. If you're using Taking a Walk care plan, feed your chocobo Vomp carrot one at a time(you do this by trading the item to the trainer). Stop feeding it when it says that your chocobo is completely full. Feeding it something potent(such as bunch of Azouph greens or a carrot) at quite full will not cause it to have any stomach aches, so don't worry. You should easily be able to feed your chocobo three carrots a day.

Do you continue to feed it one item at a time? It's frikkin' tedious...
 Lakshmi.Szion
Server: Lakshmi
user: Szion
By Lakshmi.Szion 2012-01-25 14:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Niniann,
I am currently on day 73 raising my bird and my stats for a racing build are:

STR: SS
END: A
DSC: B
RCP: E

I am building RCP up to D and will probably leave it there out of fear raising it further will decrease my STR stat. I know I am fast approaching the 637 point hardcap, but would like to push my stats as far as possible to the cap without lowering my STR from the 255 cap. I have been generous with my calculations and that is why I will not push for a C rating in RCP. I easily win all free races coming in second only when one super choco is present and 4th when all three super chocos are present. I would be very happy with STR:SS, END:A, DSC:B, and RCP:C. I would like to get them to STR:SS, END:B, DSC:A, and RCP:C but being so close to the hardcap Id rather not lose 2+ months of work.

My question is this, is there a way to actually SEE the point totals each stat is at such as STR being 255, 240, or 224? If I could only see the numbers instead of some vague rating such as "First Class" or "Impressive," etc. that would help with the raising process tremendously. What is your advice at this point in the raising process for me? Thanks!
 Lakshmi.Szion
By Lakshmi.Szion 2012-01-26 03:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Dibble,
I do not believe you need to trade one food item at a time. The only reason you would want to be doing this is to check how full your bird is and use the right food with each trade based on your goals, such as raising stats or raising affection. Feed too much and it may get a stomach ache the next day. Once I know what Im trying to do, raise affection or raise stats and I know how many I feed it all 3, 4, or 5 items at once. There are no negative consequences unless you don't pay attention to what your bird needs.
[+]
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-01-26 05:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Dibble said: »
Do you continue to feed it one item at a time? It's frikkin' tedious...

You don't have to, but it's a precaution. If you don't run your chocobo's energy down enough, it won't eat as much, etc.

Lakshmi.Szion said: »
My question is this, is there a way to actually SEE the point totals each stat is at such as STR being 255, 240, or 224? If I could only see the numbers instead of some vague rating such as "First Class" or "Impressive," etc. that would help with the raising process tremendously. What is your advice at this point in the raising process for me? Thanks!

There is no way to actually see, no. If you press your Receptivity to C, it will mostly likely lower your STR down by a few points. I believe (based on the way saddles and other items work) the way your stats are calculated during the races is based on the point value, not the letter, so getting your bird to one point below C would function roughly equivalent to a C rating.
 Lakshmi.Szion
By Lakshmi.Szion 2012-01-27 23:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian

After I finish getting my RCP to D (64), I want to put a few training sessions into STR before retiring my chocobo. I want to do this to ensure my STR is as close to 255 as possible while maintaining an SS, A, B, D build.

Assuming my point spread is at the hardcap (637) and my highest stat, STR, is lowered due to raising RCP to a D rating, by how much will my highest stat, STR, be lowered? I found that one training session will raise a stat by 5 points, so regarding this information, will it in turn lower your next highest stat by 5 points?

Source material for the training sessions raising stats by 5 points:
http://ffxi.gamerescape.com/wiki/User:Zatias/Chocobo_Raising

"Attribute Training (80 chocobucks)-- Only available to adult birds, each upgrade you purchase will increase your chocobo's select attribute by about 5 points without lowering any other stats. This means it takes 7 or so upgrades to increase a stat by a full level (for example Outstanding to First-Class). Training your bird this way is a must to make it the best it can be."
 Phoenix.Hats
By Phoenix.Hats 2012-01-29 10:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

well npc says when u are hardcapped already an still wanna like switch here an there a stat it lowers " other " attributes .. so either it balances it between the other 3 stats but considers one higher in downrating .. atleast thats been my feeling trying to get STR higher it lowered mostly DIS..
 Lakshmi.Szion
By Lakshmi.Szion 2012-01-29 10:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Hats said: »
well npc says when u are hardcapped already an still wanna like switch here an there a stat it lowers " other " attributes .. so either it balances it between the other 3 stats but considers one higher in downrating .. atleast thats been my feeling trying to get STR higher it lowered mostly DIS..

So you are telling me that the NPC that allows me to give my chocobo specific training sessions will actually indicate that my bird has reached the hardcap by alerting me that by raising one stat, a different stat will in turn be lowered? This is great news to hear if true.
 Phoenix.Hats
By Phoenix.Hats 2012-01-29 20:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

yes but the npc says it effects the other stats ~plural~ but assuming it picks one has highest.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-01-29 21:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It will indicate if you're going to be lowering other stats. I'm pretty sure it picks the highest stat you have, but it may also pick one at random.
 Lakshmi.Szion
By Lakshmi.Szion 2012-02-04 13:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Niniann

Ive gotten to the Dream Race and absolutely cannot win and I won the lethal race and all other races easily. My current build is SS/A/B/D Gallup & Canter and I use either a Speed Apple or a Roll of Chocobo Taping. Sakura always, and I mean ALWAYS wins. What am I doing wrong??

I use Orders: Final Spurt and I end up in second place, which is no consolation given that you spend 50 chocobucks for the entry fee and get nothing in return for coming in anything other than first place. Should I go on the offensive and start using Pepper Biscuits on Sakura or should I change my orders to Keep Pace? This race appears to be totally random and everything seems to have to go perfectly to win.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2012-02-04 14:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Dibble,
I do not believe you need to trade one food item at a time. The only reason you would want to be doing this is to check how full your bird is and use the right food with each trade based on your goals, such as raising stats or raising affection. Feed too much and it may get a stomach ache the next day. Once I know what Im trying to do, raise affection or raise stats and I know how many I feed it all 3, 4, or 5 items at once. There are no negative consequences unless you don't pay attention to what your bird needs.

The order in which you feed stuff can be QUITE IMPORTANT. Otherwise tummyache.

And I don't trust food buffs without animations.
 Lakshmi.Szion
By Lakshmi.Szion 2012-02-04 15:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Dibble,

The order in which you feed stuff can be QUITE IMPORTANT. Otherwise tummyache.

And I don't truss food buffs without animations.

I did not know that. However, I suffered zero stomach aches during the course of my raising process and only overfed it two times in total. I just figured you need to have a feel of how much food it takes to feed your bird to the hunger cap and not go past it.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-04 17:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Niniann

Ive gotten to the Dream Race and absolutely cannot win and I won the lethal race and all other races easily. My current build is SS/A/B/D Gallup & Canter and I use either a Speed Apple or a Roll of Chocobo Taping. Sakura always, and I mean ALWAYS wins. What am I doing wrong??

I use Orders: Final Spurt and I end up in second place, which is no consolation given that you spend 50 chocobucks for the entry fee and get nothing in return for coming in anything other than first place. Should I go on the offensive and start using Pepper Biscuits on Sakura or should I change my orders to Keep Pace? This race appears to be totally random and everything seems to have to go perfectly to win.

My chocobo was SS/B/A/C, and I believe I used a roll of chocobo taping. You probably need more discernment for this race. There's also a chance that it's random-ish, since a lot of chocobo races have a degree of random-ness to them.
 Fenrir.Dibble
By Fenrir.Dibble 2012-02-05 03:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hit Day 64 with S/E/A/F - which I was pretty pleased with

I had no decent method for getting chocotrains and I figure I need 63 sessions to get my stats to SS/B/A/C, that's 5040 Chocobucks - assuming I win everytime I need to do 1008 Free Runs and I have about 60 days to do that in...

So, I'm thinking I'll be looking at the 100 CB tokens for retired birds?!
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-05 05:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hit Day 64 with S/E/A/F - which I was pretty pleased with

I had no decent method for getting chocotrains and I figure I need 63 sessions to get my stats to SS/B/A/C, that's 5040 Chocobucks - assuming I win everytime I need to do 1008 Free Runs and I have about 60 days to do that in...

So, I'm thinking I'll be looking at the 100 CB tokens for retired birds?!

I really doubt you'll run out of time before capping your bird, but if you do yes you'll need to use the 100CB tokens. Keep in mind they don't raise stats as much as the racing trains do.

Also--sometimes people sell trains on the AH for ~50k (or you could approach people who own chocobos to sell directly to you). It might be something to look into if you're swimming in gil.
 Fenrir.Dibble
By Fenrir.Dibble 2012-02-06 13:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »
Also--sometimes people sell trains on the AH for ~50k (or you could approach people who own chocobos to sell directly to you). It might be something to look into if you're swimming in gil.

Well, you're on my server, right :P

I thought about asking the two (presumably based on play times) JP players that bazaar outside the Windurst stables?
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-06 15:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, you're on my server, right :P

I thought about asking the two (presumably based on play times) JP players that bazaar outside the Windurst stables?

Hah, good point. I have two characters I can race with, so if you want to either send me a tell in-game/PM me/or even let me know here I'd be happy to get chocotrains for you. The going price is 50k per token, so if that's alright with you I'll get to racing.
 Lakshmi.Szion
By Lakshmi.Szion 2012-02-07 11:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I am about to cap off my chocobo and I have around 10-25 points till I do so. My build is SS/A/B/D and my question is which stat at this point will net the highest marginal return since I cannot bring any stat to the next letter grade? No stat is close to hitting the next letter grade level and I was thinking of dumping my remaining points into DSC or END. Not sure which would be best at this point. Thoughts?
 Phoenix.Cell
user: Cell
By Phoenix.Cell 2012-02-11 20:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Managed SS B A C before forced retirement. Won the torque yesterday and finished the last Swamptrot race today. I've yet to use my whistle. Thanks to Niniann for all of the help.

Special thanks to my Chocobo partner Hats!
[+]
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-12 02:47:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I am about to cap off my chocobo and I have around 10-25 points till I do so. My build is SS/A/B/D and my question is which stat at this point will net the highest marginal return since I cannot bring any stat to the next letter grade? No stat is close to hitting the next letter grade level and I was thinking of dumping my remaining points into DSC or END. Not sure which would be best at this point. Thoughts?

I'd do DSC, but it doesn't matter too much.

Phoenix.Cell said: »
Managed SS B A C before forced retirement. Won the torque yesterday and finished the last Swamptrot race today. I've yet to use my whistle. Thanks to Niniann for all of the help.

Special thanks to my Chocobo partner Hats!

Grats! :D
 Phoenix.Hats
By Phoenix.Hats 2012-02-24 08:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

proudly presenting my new baby ... He is now 35 days~ i planned actually a digger but since cracked the code with weather.. he is goin to be a racer again .. has already canter & gallop too :)

[+]
 Cerberus.Mirril
Server: Cerberus
user: flywacket
By Cerberus.Mirril 2012-03-04 00:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Regarding the dream race, bear with me it's been YEARS (2008).

I beat the race on the 2nd or 3rd try with a bird that had gallop and auto-regen.

I taught this to my bird after failing to get her to learn canter after trying a million times.

Honestly, I think it might actually work better for some strategies, as that bird only gets winded at the end of a race that she sprints in from the beginning.

I think It's somewhat up to chance whether you win or not, as you can get stuck in the mud, and the other birds in the race can decide not to hit you with their attacks at all (so being able to resist them can be somewhat superfluous).
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-03-04 04:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the JP have proven that Canter is roughly equal to Auto-Regen, but it's interesting that you noted that.

At any rate, the races are indeed randomized to a certain extent. Or just plain rigged (Super-bos).
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8