Does Ffxi Suck Now?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Does ffxi suck now?
Does ffxi suck now?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-28 19:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Asura.Kaitaru said:
Don't meh me! You know this is true. We trolled eachother hardcore when we met followed by a 3 hour skype convo I found out under your super troll front, your a prettty cool dude.

Don't let out the secret. People might actually think something about me.
I would never believe such a outlandish statement.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-03-28 19:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yojimmbo said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Asura.Yojimmbo said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
No worries, @ 99 SE will release Shinryu's dad Femuryu who's BCNM is only accessed after completing every quest in game, derp.
Where is it on Wikipedia?
yeah, cz the Japs already beat him
GDI!
*** knew it.
at this point, anything "new" that comes out is just seconds from the Japs who've already abused the *** out of the content.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-28 19:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

wow that was fast.

TBH I don't see why ppl have a problem with you..I mean sure you talk out of your *** sometimes..but who doesn't?
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-03-28 19:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Asura.Kaitaru said:
Don't meh me! You know this is true. We trolled eachother hardcore when we met followed by a 3 hour skype convo I found out under your super troll front, your a prettty cool dude.

Don't let out the secret. People might actually think something about me.
I would never believe such a outlandish statement.
why? We've believed far more outlandish revelations than this.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-03-28 19:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
just because a game is oriented towards casual gamers doesn't mean that every casual gamer has "beat the game."

I'd say it is more orientated towards casual gamers but I assumed you were implying that it is only orientated toward casual gamers. Before in FFXI, casual gamers were basically cast aside. Now there is a pretty huge amount of content available for casual gamers and more hardcore ones (AF3+2 sets, Empyreans, etc).

Quote:
the difference between 75 cap and now is that all the best gear in the game is now obtainable by a very small group. and while you can keep throwing around the whole "game was never hard," it did take more effort, if only in manpower per item, to get the best gear. you wouldn't be clearing einherjar with four characters, for example.

This is true, but I would argue that's more of a paradigm shift towards lesser numbers. This equally means that one screw up has a greater influence on the outcome of the event (unless it's something dumb like Diaga in a large dynamis); previously screwups or even tanks dying etc could be covered up by the wall of waiting bodies.

Quote:
it's also not only less time consuming; access to cheap brews is pretty broken imo. any unskilled player can get the best gear in the game, solo. personally i think that says a lot.

Cheap brews are broken - no contest here. However, most of the best gear comes from multiples of items (multiple +2 items, multiple Empyrean drops etc) so unless someone has WAY too many brews to use, it won't give them a huge leap forward.

Quote:
i've been confused about this, saying that the game was never hard is a terrible argument for this. less time-consuming in itself IS more casual-gamer oriented.

How much time something takes is difficulty in the objective sense of the word, but it is artificial difficulty - tedium. Killing Fafnir 50x for a Ridill was never difficult and clearing Dyna-Xarc 10x for a D Chap was also never difficult. It was just time consuming.

Imagine all drops in FFXI were 100%: which are difficult to get? I don't think artificial difficulty is very good game design (it nonetheless exists even in Abyssea, but less so).

Quote:
requiring absolutely no skill is more casual-gamer oriented.

I'd disagree, but to go more into this would require defining skill - groups still struggle to kill lots of mobs, and people still wipe to many mobs (some of my Briareus Helms can attest to this). While you can argue that this is dealing with extremely low tier players, the fact remains that a decent chunk of the content is still too challenging for your average player.

Quote:
know that i respect your input on these forums, you're always helpful (even when you're talking about mithra)

My Mithra ranting is helpful?!
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-03-28 19:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

hard does not equal time consuming. It might be a hard game because, well, because you might be the stupid one.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-03-28 20:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
On the contrary in an FPS game it's normally skill that separates the vast majority of the players only after separating the highly skilled players do strategies come into play with skill at that tier being pretty close. It's completely different than FFXI, it's all about knowledge and time, skill is a factor but people are only lying to themselves when they pretend it's a big factor in the game.

I'd have to disagree with the "strategy only being important at high levels of play" in FPS games bit of this. Tactical smart play is one of the biggest things; far more important than a fast/precise aim or quick reflexes in my opinion.

I think FFXI does take skill - a different kind of skill to other games/genres but there is something that isn't just knowledge there.

Perhaps I was not 100% clear on my FPS anallogy let me clarify.

Let's first divide all players by 5 levels of skill into tiers.

Tier 1 - pro/semi-pro competitive gamers constantly playing in a competitive setting very active in tournaments and ladders
Tier 2 - well skilled players dominate public rooms/servers often part of a competitive team but not ranked on the top of the ladders
Tier 3 - casual players who can hold their own always do better than average and occasionally do great. usually play pretty often
Tier 4 - bad players who play very often these player love to play and play often but have difficulty ever finding their way to the top of the board
Tier 5 - straight noob players who play casually and are plain and simple terribad they get humiliated so bad by great players that they don't even realize it they still have fun while they play so more power to them.

What I'm saying is skill is a huge factor in separating these players. In a competitive setting and even a public setting its rare that a Tier 5/4/3 will ever get the "best" of the Tier 1 players. In a competitive setting 9 times out of 10 that Tier 1 team is going to beat that Tier 2 team no matter how great a strat that Tier 2 team has, they simply get outclassed I've seen it a million times.

The gap between Tier 1 and Tier 2 is pretty big its easy to tell the difference same with Tier 2 to Tier 3 decently size gap often the difference between someone with tournament / ladder experience who is familiar with playing with a team or clan vs someone who is not. Now that being said the difference between a Tier 1 and Tier 3/4/5 is insanely huge. Little to no strat will that Tier 3 team beat the Tier 1 team it just doesn't matter because like I said they are just outclassed by that vig of a gap.

The level in skill between all the Tier 1 players is usually pretty small there is a very exclusive 3-5 players in the world on top of that Tier 1 that you can really even see a gap. Other than that everyone amongst the Tier 1 are all amazing and the team with the best strats, teamwork and communication is who wins over and over. That's why the pro teams have dedicated coaches and team managers who practice with them 15+ hrs a day. That's when that ***comes into play the 1st place team isn't ususally "twice" as good as the next team they don't usually completely dominate the other team in the finals due to skill.

This is my experience from being in and around competitive gaming for the last 10 years from many different games on different ladders tournaments or pro circuits.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-28 20:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Raen you honestly have no idea.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-03-28 20:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
just because a game is oriented towards casual gamers doesn't mean that every casual gamer has "beat the game."

I'd say it is more orientated towards casual gamers but I assumed you were implying that it is only orientated toward casual gamers. Before in FFXI, casual gamers were basically cast aside. Now there is a pretty huge amount of content available for casual gamers and more hardcore ones (AF3+2 sets, Empyreans, etc).

Quote:
the difference between 75 cap and now is that all the best gear in the game is now obtainable by a very small group. and while you can keep throwing around the whole "game was never hard," it did take more effort, if only in manpower per item, to get the best gear. you wouldn't be clearing einherjar with four characters, for example.

This is true, but I would argue that's more of a paradigm shift towards lesser numbers. This equally means that one screw up has a greater influence on the outcome of the event (unless it's something dumb like Diaga in a large dynamis); previously screwups or even tanks dying etc could be covered up by the wall of waiting bodies.

Quote:
it's also not only less time consuming; access to cheap brews is pretty broken imo. any unskilled player can get the best gear in the game, solo. personally i think that says a lot.

Cheap brews are broken - no contest here. However, most of the best gear comes from multiples of items (multiple +2 items, multiple Empyrean drops etc) so unless someone has WAY too many brews to use, it won't give them a huge leap forward.

Quote:
i've been confused about this, saying that the game was never hard is a terrible argument for this. less time-consuming in itself IS more casual-gamer oriented.

How much time something takes is difficulty in the objective sense of the word, but it is artificial difficulty - tedium. Killing Fafnir 50x for a Ridill was never difficult and clearing Dyna-Xarc 10x for a D Chap was also never difficult. It was just time consuming.

Imagine all drops in FFXI were 100%: which are difficult to get? I don't think artificial difficulty is very good game design (it nonetheless exists even in Abyssea, but less so).

Quote:
requiring absolutely no skill is more casual-gamer oriented.

I'd disagree, but to go more into this would require defining skill - groups still struggle to kill lots of mobs, and people still wipe to many mobs (some of my Briareus Helms can attest to this). While you can argue that this is dealing with extremely low tier players, the fact remains that a decent chunk of the content is still too challenging for your average player.

Quote:
know that i respect your input on these forums, you're always helpful (even when you're talking about mithra)

My Mithra ranting is helpful?!

i wasn't the one who originally brought up the casual gamer thing btw.

i also never mentioned drop rates; i agree that it's artificial "difficulty," and tedious. but even if it takes less time because of artificial means, it's still geared more towards a casual player, but it seems like a lot of people have trouble taking that at face value; like i said earlier, sometimes it feels like people take it personally.

when i said that the game requires no skill, it doesn't mean that skilled players don't have an advantage. but a brew takes all of 2 hours? of mindless xp. i was referring to brews when i mentioned that, sorry if that was unclear.

and sometimes your mithra talk is just an afterthought (or maybe it's the helpful stuff that's the afterthought?)!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-28 20:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The game sucks if you think it sucks.
[+]
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Server: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-03-28 20:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk..i kinda like being able to low man stuff nowadays rather than wait weeks of farming for a couple pop sets just to have a chance at maybe getting a drop. As for jobs getting "gimped" this seems like the norm for SE...they do an update..a job gets gimped/uber and then they play catch up trying to change things around to preserve "game balance". I wouldnt worry if pld or w/e the job is is gimped atm...im sure SE will do something NEXT update to bring it back on par. I know one thing...I can ever go back to the old school way of exp'ing again.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-28 20:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Replace "pop culture" with FFXI and "12" with the year you joined.

"The best period of FFXI happened when you joined at 2005"

Okay, I guess it doesn't exactly work...
[+]
 Bahamut.Dionikes
user: Dionikes
By Bahamut.Dionikes 2011-03-28 21:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The game has changed thats for sure. I'll say this though, my monk pre abyssea, was pretty decent, but i did spend 6 months getting my BB items, another 3 months in a sky ls to acquire shura togi, another 6 months waiting for haidate, quite a while trying to outclaim rmts in castle O. for O.kote before farming the gil to buy them. My 5/5 +2 mnk took me all of about 5 days maybe, sedna being the only real cockblock.

I'll take 5 days to get a somewhat optimal tp set over 6+ months of waiting in line to accumulate points to bid on something, just to miss an event due to work and fall behind in points then not get what i want for another 6 weeks. Same thing for my 5/5 homam, took me FORever to get those legs to finally drop when i was first in line.

No thanks. I prefer having fun with my gear instead of waiting to finally get it. And by fun, i mean standing afk in port jeuno :)

In all seriousness, the game doesnt suck now. As for cookie cutter, its like zorander said, there will ALways be cookie cutter, because there will always be the "best" tp set, the "best" ws set, the "best" pdt/mdt, w/e gear sets, there was at 75, 80, 85, 90 and it will keep happening. Now you can get those gear sets in a week, not a 6 months.
I know maybe a handful of people who have actually self funded their own relic weapons, i never had the time to put into this game to be able to do that. The fact that SE has allowed us to do emp weapons in a matter of weeks, i think is great. Game now > game before, its just plain less damn stressful lol.
[+]
By Wafflechan 2011-03-28 22:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
On the contrary in an FPS game it's normally skill that separates the vast majority of the players only after separating the highly skilled players do strategies come into play with skill at that tier being pretty close. It's completely different than FFXI, it's all about knowledge and time, skill is a factor but people are only lying to themselves when they pretend it's a big factor in the game.
I'd have to disagree with the "strategy only being important at high levels of play" in FPS games bit of this. Tactical smart play is one of the biggest things; far more important than a fast/precise aim or quick reflexes in my opinion. I think FFXI does take skill - a different kind of skill to other games/genres but there is something that isn't just knowledge there.
Perhaps I was not 100% clear on my FPS anallogy let me clarify. Let's first divide all players by 5 levels of skill into tiers. Tier 1 - pro/semi-pro competitive gamers constantly playing in a competitive setting very active in tournaments and ladders Tier 2 - well skilled players dominate public rooms/servers often part of a competitive team but not ranked on the top of the ladders Tier 3 - casual players who can hold their own always do better than average and occasionally do great. usually play pretty often Tier 4 - bad players who play very often these player love to play and play often but have difficulty ever finding their way to the top of the board Tier 5 - straight noob players who play casually and are plain and simple terribad they get humiliated so bad by great players that they don't even realize it they still have fun while they play so more power to them. What I'm saying is skill is a huge factor in separating these players. In a competitive setting and even a public setting its rare that a Tier 5/4/3 will ever get the "best" of the Tier 1 players. In a competitive setting 9 times out of 10 that Tier 1 team is going to beat that Tier 2 team no matter how great a strat that Tier 2 team has, they simply get outclassed I've seen it a million times. The gap between Tier 1 and Tier 2 is pretty big its easy to tell the difference same with Tier 2 to Tier 3 decently size gap often the difference between someone with tournament / ladder experience who is familiar with playing with a team or clan vs someone who is not. Now that being said the difference between a Tier 1 and Tier 3/4/5 is insanely huge. Little to no strat will that Tier 3 team beat the Tier 1 team it just doesn't matter because like I said they are just outclassed by that vig of a gap. The level in skill between all the Tier 1 players is usually pretty small there is a very exclusive 3-5 players in the world on top of that Tier 1 that you can really even see a gap. Other than that everyone amongst the Tier 1 are all amazing and the team with the best strats, teamwork and communication is who wins over and over. That's why the pro teams have dedicated coaches and team managers who practice with them 15+ hrs a day. That's when that ***comes into play the 1st place team isn't ususally "twice" as good as the next team they don't usually completely dominate the other team in the finals due to skill. This is my experience from being in and around competitive gaming for the last 10 years from many different games on different ladders tournaments or pro circuits.
I like this analogy a lot, especially with the tiers on how competativly some people play. I notice, the vets tend to think anyone from 2008 and prior is tier 1, but when Abyssea came, it put in a ton of 4 and 5s. On the other hand, I think there was probably a ton of 4 and 5s hiding amongst the older player base and Abyssea finally weeded them out. They imply that the game was actually difficult at one time, but based on anecdotes, it looked like jut a mass of who had more time on their hands, and that should never fluff up a game via artificial 'nintendo' hard if you will... a difficulty only instilled by bad game design or flaws, and not actual challenge.

(I fall in between 2 and 3, my knowledge of mechanics is extremely flawed, but I can hold my own in a pinch?)
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2011-03-28 22:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

@75 saw tons of people in homam/askar. @9 same people in pink blue white gear or empy gear. It is no different. I love how it is now and i have played since ps2 NA launch. I would much rather grab a friend or 2 get some shinies than wait in a huge ls line for some kitty pants for a year.(which i did)
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2011-03-28 22:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

To answer whether or not ffxi sucks depends on what you liked about ffxi in the past...

If you enjoyed the difficult challenges and being recognized for super awesome gear.. then ffxi sucks for now...

everything can be done in low man groups.. but hopefully when lvl 99 comes around it wont be like that any more ^^

If you enjoyed the casual aspects of ffxi and hanging around with friends then ffxi is better than ever.

Really depends on what you want from the game lol
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
Server: Fenrir
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2011-03-28 23:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Who'da thunk this ***was subjective.
Your opinion is wrong ok?

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Dascorp
Server: Fenrir
user: dascorp
By Fenrir.Dascorp 2011-03-28 23:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Dascorp said:
kirin zerg was fun

forgot to add

getting to kirin while drunk without agro... priceless

porting there on one port and watching others try to get there and be 1/9 and/or worst was even better
 Asura.Sandolphon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Sandolphon 2011-03-28 23:43:43
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI SUCKS NOW.
[+]
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2011-03-28 23:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I like abyssea..

but I feel it will be the downfall of ffxi without any other sustaining content
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-03-28 23:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

Oh, found the pic.
oh hay it's Charlot
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-03-29 00:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

shut up and yes

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Phix
user: phix
By Bahamut.Phix 2011-03-29 01:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

Oh, found the pic.
Am famous lol :P
And i <3 xi abyssea love it or hate it gave the game some well needed ***for everyone to do .
By Artemicion 2011-03-29 01:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
All I gotta say is: the game is what you make of it.
If you approach it with a cynical and rotten attitude, the game will probably drag on and be miserably boring for you, yielding little to no results or fulfillment.
But if you truly enjoy the game for the substance therein and the company you play with, and feel at least some sense of connection with your alter-ego of a character, then be steadfast and keep playing til you get exactly what you want. If it weren't for adversity, the reward would be but bittersweet and unsatisfying.

TL;DR Keep your chin up, or just quit playing. Nobody wants to hear your bitching.

I posted this a few weeks ago in Marrs' QQ thread about the same *** here.

If you don't want to play, then don't. Otherwise buck up and enjoy yourself for what the game has to offer, not for how much it never caters to your wants and needs.

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7