Random Politics & Religion #24

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #24
Random Politics & Religion #24
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 79 80 81
By Nausi 2017-05-26 08:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Nausi said: »
eliroo said: »
Yet you ignore the idiotic behavior and hypocrisy coming straight from the Oval office?
You're living inside the media bubble.
I'm gonna see if Rooks will filter "media bubble" to something because you guys use it as a crutch too often.
Filtering it doesn't make it any less true.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 08:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So, It looks like Comey is going to jail.

Or does he get a pass again?
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-05-26 08:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

In Gianforte's defense...just look at the name, it SOUNDS like the name of a Luchador.
[+]
By Nausi 2017-05-26 08:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

All the libs pushing this Russian nonesense know it isn't going anywhere. They will need someone to pin it on.
By eliroo 2017-05-26 08:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi said: »
Yet you ignore the idiotic behavior and hypocrisy coming straight from the Oval office?
You're living inside the media bubble.

I didn't know Trumps twitter feed was a media bubble.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By eliroo 2017-05-26 08:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes I think your comments are like Trumps Twitter feed. Full of hyprocrisy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 08:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

hyprocrisy
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 09:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
I will take a wild guess and say it was a jab at your zero evidence rhetoric.

Also, I didn't read the article in question nor do I even try to attempt at seeing if there were any evidence already presented in the first place.
Fixed for accuracy.

Also, for the reality deniers

Oh wait, there's more!

So, before you open your mouth, make sure what you say wouldn't make you look like a fool. Or Canadian.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-26 09:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like Trump could kill a baby and KN and Rav would be defending him.

1. Turn head.
2. Look down.
3. Remove stick.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 09:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

For the Constitution Deniers:

Trump Travel Ban Showdown Headed for Supreme Court

Sources are bad, mmk?

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Donald Trump's administration is pledging a Supreme Court showdown over his travel ban after a federal appeals ruled that the ban "drips with religious intolerance, animus and discrimination."

Citing the president's duty to protect the country from terrorism, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Thursday that the Justice Department will ask the high court to review the case, although he offered no timetable.

The Supreme Court is almost certain to step into the case over the presidential executive order issued by Trump that seeks to temporarily cut off visas for people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. The justices almost always have the final say when a lower court strikes down a federal law or presidential action.

The case pits the president's significant authority over immigration against what the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit said was a policy that purported to be about national security but was intended to target Muslims.

Parties generally have 90 days to appeal to the Supreme Court, but if the administration waits until late August to ask the court to step in, the justices probably would not vote on whether to hear the case until October and arguments probably wouldn't take place until February 2018 at the earliest. That would be more than a year after Trump rolled out the first travel ban.

Administration lawyers could instead seek the justices' approval to put the travel policy in place on an emergency basis, even as the court weighs what to do with the larger dispute.

If that happens, the justices' vote on an emergency motion would signal whether the government is likely to win in the end. It takes a majority of the court, five votes, to put a hold on a lower court ruling. If at least five justices vote to let the travel ban take effect, there's a good chance they also would uphold the policy later on.

Thursday's ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit was a loss for the administration. The court ruled 10-3 that the ban likely violates the Constitution and upheld a lower court ruling blocking the Republican administration from enforcing the travel ban unveiled in March, a revised version of the policy first issued in January.

The Richmond, Virginia-based 4th Circuit is the first appeals court to rule on the revised ban. Trump's administration had hoped it would avoid the legal problems that the first version encountered. A second appeals court, the 9th U.S. Circuit based in San Francisco, is also weighing the revised travel ban after a federal judge in Hawaii blocked it.

A central question in the case is whether courts should consider Trump's public statements about wanting to bar Muslims from entering the country as evidence that the policy was primarily motivated by the religion.

Trump's administration argued the 4th Circuit should not look beyond the text of the executive order, which doesn't mention religion. The countries were not chosen because they are predominantly Muslim but because they present terrorism risks, the administration said.

But Chief Judge Roger L. Gregory wrote that the government's "asserted national security interest ... appears to be a post hoc, secondary justification for an executive action rooted in religious animus and intended to bar Muslims from this country."

The three dissenting judges, all appointed by Republican presidents, said the majority was wrong to look beyond the text of the order. Judge Paul V. Niemeyer wrote that Supreme Court precedent required the court to consider the order "on its face." Looked at that way, the executive order "is entirely without constitutional fault," he wrote.

Sessions said the court's ruling blocks Trump's "efforts to strengthen this country's national security."

Trump's first travel ban issued Jan. 27 was aimed at seven countries and triggered chaos and protests across the U.S. as travelers were stopped from boarding international flights and detained at airports for hours. Trump tweaked the order after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit refused to reinstate the ban.

The new version made it clear the 90-day ban covering those six countries doesn't apply to those who already have valid visas. It also got rid of language that would give priority to religious minorities and removed Iraq from the list of banned countries. Critics said the changes don't erase the legal problems with the ban.

Ilya Somin, a law professor at George Mason University, said it's difficult to make a confident prediction on what the Supreme Court will do with the case. If the Supreme Court follows a partisan divide, the Trump administration may fare better since five of the nine are Republican nominees. Still, he said, "Supreme Court justices don't always vote in ideological lockstep."

Bolded is mine. Looks like the 3 dissenting judges actually stated the obvious. Also called out the liberals for what they are. Hacks.
[+]
By eliroo 2017-05-26 09:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The new version made it clear the 90-day ban covering those six countries doesn't apply to those who already have valid visas. It also got rid of language that would give priority to religious minorities and removed Iraq from the list of banned countries.

At least he made some changes.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 09:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The new version made it clear the 90-day ban covering those six countries doesn't apply to those who already have valid visas. It also got rid of language that would give priority to religious minorities and removed Iraq from the list of banned countries.

Quote:
Critics said the changes don't erase the legal problems with the ban.

In other words, the legal problems these critics have is the signor of the EO.

Now, if King Obama or Queen Clinton were to sign it, these very critics would be the biggest defenders of said EO.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-05-26 09:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the liberals are using him as a rallying point for "The Cause" so I don't see throwing that away too soon.
[+]
By eliroo 2017-05-26 09:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Potentially, but I'm not those critics. The Visa part not being clear was the most obvious flaw in the document, I agree that any claims of unconstitutionality beyond that aren't literal.

I still think it is pointless but being pointless doesn't change its legality.

I would rather money be spent on ease the immigration process for non-threats.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 09:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-05-26 09:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:

Now, if King Obama or Queen Clinton were to sign it, these very critics would be the biggest defenders of said EO.

Close. If King Obama or Queen Clinton were to sign it, nobody would have batted an eyelash in the first place and there would be no need to defend it.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 09:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

True
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-05-26 09:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:

It's 100% with the signer of the law. Leftists *feel* he shouldn't be allowed to *win* and thus have a negative emotional reaction to anything he says or does.
[+]
By eliroo 2017-05-26 09:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is though, Obama probably wouldn't have signed it because it simply goes against his ideas so I don't think that argument you are making holds water.

I think there is a fallacy name for that type of argument, but I can't recall. It is like a reverse Tu Quoque.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 09:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama probably wouldn't have signed it because it simply goes against his ideas so I don't think that argument you are making holds water.
Let me put it to you this way:

Obama, for the last 6 years of his presidency, ruled "with a pen and a phone" and made a lot of unconstitutional EOs.

The liberals/democrats were very silent, and in some cases, even applauded such actions.

However, you get one of the first EOs signed by somebody other than Obama, and not only do you have the democrats/liberals crying foul/unconstitutional, but also stating on record that such acts are against the very principles this country is founded on.

It's like they were sleeping during most of Obama's term.

They don't care about constitutional actions of the president as long as the president has a (D) next to their name. Put a (R) there and all hell breaks loose.

And don't say that the Republicans are the same. Unlike the hero worship the liberals/democrats gave Obama, Trump has been receiving almost no support from Republicans in Congress. Some (McCain/Lieberman (although....)) have openly opposed some things Trump has done in recent months.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 09:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I will take a wild guess and say it was a jab at your zero evidence rhetoric.

Also, I didn't read the article in question nor do I even try to attempt at seeing if there were any evidence already presented in the first place.
Fixed for accuracy.

Also, for the reality deniers

Oh wait, there's more!

So, before you open your mouth, make sure what you say wouldn't make you look like a fool. Or Canadian.

Hurr durr you don't even read your own articles.

Quote:
FBI officials acknowledged there have been violations but insist they are a small percentage of the total counterterrorism and counterintelligence work its agents perform.

Almost all are unintentional human errors by good-intentioned agents and analysts under enormous pressure to stop the next major terror attack, the officials said.

So why would this put Comey in jail?
Wait, you are saying that a government agency that is supposed to police itself doesn't want to admit it's own failings? Who knew?

Sure, Comey's call for jail time may be a little extreme (unless, of course, he was complicit in such indiscretions and even helped with them), but it shows that Trump was, you know, right in firing him, if this type of ***was going on under Comey's leadership.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 09:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, you are saying that a government agency that is supposed to police itself doesn't want to admit it's own failings? Who knew?

It's a terrible system for sure and it also applies to the white house.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 10:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't attempting or even acknowledging the issues at the White House.

Therefor, strawman.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-05-26 10:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
4th Circuit is liberal, not quite as much as 9th but it's still liberal. This entire area is hyper liberal, again not as much as San Francisco (home of 9th Circuit) but more then Texas / Oklahoma and most of the rest of the country....

Quote:
The United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit is one of twelve regional appellate courts within the federal judicial system. The court hears appeals from the nine federal district courts in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
I will grant you that Northern VA and MD's I95 corridor are liberal, and both house an outsized portion of their states' population, but last I heard West Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina were quite conservative as are the less populous counties of Maryland and Virginia.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 79 80 81