Random Politics & Religion #24

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #24
Random Politics & Religion #24
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 79 80 81
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
The thing is though, Obama probably wouldn't have signed it because it simply goes against his ideas so I don't think that argument you are making holds water.

I think there is a fallacy name for that type of argument, but I can't recall. It is like a reverse Tu Quoque.

Quit living in the past man !
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what Teddy Roosevelt would have done with Syrian refugees that is the real question of the day.
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if Obama puts pineapple on his pizza that is also a question that needs answered.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-05-26 10:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
Looks like Jared Kushner, who also improperly filled out his security clearance form (how hard is it guys?), has also landed himself on the FBI's radar for his dealings with Russia.
But unlike some, Kushner did list his contacts with Russian personnel.
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe when he was filling out his security clearance in the section "do not write here" he wrote okay.
By eliroo 2017-05-26 10:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I wasn't attempting or even acknowledging the issues at the White House.

Therefor, strawman.

Wtf lol? Now I know you have no idea what you are talking about:

First - He wasn't even arguing with you. It can't a be a strawman
Second - He needs to build up the strawman and then argue against that, which he didn't do.
Third - The Strawman he builds needs to be about the point he is arguing against which wasn't even the case here.

Weren't you the one that just posted the princesses brides meme a bit ago?

Go read a logic book or something. I have one if you want to borrow it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 10:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
4th Circuit is liberal, not quite as much as 9th but it's still liberal. This entire area is hyper liberal, again not as much as San Francisco (home of 9th Circuit) but more then Texas / Oklahoma and most of the rest of the country....

Quote:
The United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit is one of twelve regional appellate courts within the federal judicial system. The court hears appeals from the nine federal district courts in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
I will grant you that Northern VA and MD's I95 corridor are liberal, and both house an outsized portion of their states' population, but last I heard West Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina were quite conservative as are the less populous counties of Maryland and Virginia.
...wait, does Chanti not know how federal judges are placed on the bench?

Also, does Chanti not know that Savael is referring to federal judges and their political preference and not the population at whole?
[+]
By Nausi 2017-05-26 10:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For the Constitution Deniers:

Trump Travel Ban Showdown Headed for Supreme Court

Sources are bad, mmk?

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Donald Trump's administration is pledging a Supreme Court showdown over his travel ban after a federal appeals ruled that the ban "drips with religious intolerance, animus and discrimination."

Citing the president's duty to protect the country from terrorism, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Thursday that the Justice Department will ask the high court to review the case, although he offered no timetable.

The Supreme Court is almost certain to step into the case over the presidential executive order issued by Trump that seeks to temporarily cut off visas for people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. The justices almost always have the final say when a lower court strikes down a federal law or presidential action.

The case pits the president's significant authority over immigration against what the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit said was a policy that purported to be about national security but was intended to target Muslims.

Parties generally have 90 days to appeal to the Supreme Court, but if the administration waits until late August to ask the court to step in, the justices probably would not vote on whether to hear the case until October and arguments probably wouldn't take place until February 2018 at the earliest. That would be more than a year after Trump rolled out the first travel ban.

Administration lawyers could instead seek the justices' approval to put the travel policy in place on an emergency basis, even as the court weighs what to do with the larger dispute.

If that happens, the justices' vote on an emergency motion would signal whether the government is likely to win in the end. It takes a majority of the court, five votes, to put a hold on a lower court ruling. If at least five justices vote to let the travel ban take effect, there's a good chance they also would uphold the policy later on.

Thursday's ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit was a loss for the administration. The court ruled 10-3 that the ban likely violates the Constitution and upheld a lower court ruling blocking the Republican administration from enforcing the travel ban unveiled in March, a revised version of the policy first issued in January.

The Richmond, Virginia-based 4th Circuit is the first appeals court to rule on the revised ban. Trump's administration had hoped it would avoid the legal problems that the first version encountered. A second appeals court, the 9th U.S. Circuit based in San Francisco, is also weighing the revised travel ban after a federal judge in Hawaii blocked it.

A central question in the case is whether courts should consider Trump's public statements about wanting to bar Muslims from entering the country as evidence that the policy was primarily motivated by the religion.

Trump's administration argued the 4th Circuit should not look beyond the text of the executive order, which doesn't mention religion. The countries were not chosen because they are predominantly Muslim but because they present terrorism risks, the administration said.

But Chief Judge Roger L. Gregory wrote that the government's "asserted national security interest ... appears to be a post hoc, secondary justification for an executive action rooted in religious animus and intended to bar Muslims from this country."

The three dissenting judges, all appointed by Republican presidents, said the majority was wrong to look beyond the text of the order. Judge Paul V. Niemeyer wrote that Supreme Court precedent required the court to consider the order "on its face." Looked at that way, the executive order "is entirely without constitutional fault," he wrote.

Sessions said the court's ruling blocks Trump's "efforts to strengthen this country's national security."

Trump's first travel ban issued Jan. 27 was aimed at seven countries and triggered chaos and protests across the U.S. as travelers were stopped from boarding international flights and detained at airports for hours. Trump tweaked the order after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit refused to reinstate the ban.

The new version made it clear the 90-day ban covering those six countries doesn't apply to those who already have valid visas. It also got rid of language that would give priority to religious minorities and removed Iraq from the list of banned countries. Critics said the changes don't erase the legal problems with the ban.

Ilya Somin, a law professor at George Mason University, said it's difficult to make a confident prediction on what the Supreme Court will do with the case. If the Supreme Court follows a partisan divide, the Trump administration may fare better since five of the nine are Republican nominees. Still, he said, "Supreme Court justices don't always vote in ideological lockstep."

Bolded is mine. Looks like the 3 dissenting judges actually stated the obvious. Also called out the liberals for what they are. Hacks.
Right the only way you can rationalize this ruling is to start with the premise that Trump is an undeniable racist that hates muslims, AND that is the secret objective of this order.

Problem is LIBS have deluded themselves into thinking that is somehow a pinnacle representation of "blind justice" when in reality it's the exact opposite.
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still convinced that most of you have zero sense of humor and self reflection.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you would stop arguing over who is better at arguing you might learn something.
[+]
By eliroo 2017-05-26 10:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm still convinced that most of you have zero sense of humor and self reflection.

Self reflecting is often humorous
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 10:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't attempting or even acknowledging the issues at the White House.

Therefor, strawman.

Wtf lol? Now I know you have no idea what you are talking about:

First - He wasn't even arguing with you. It can't a be a strawman
Second - He needs to build up the strawman and then argue against that, which he didn't do.
Third - The Strawman he builds needs to be about the point he is arguing against which wasn't even the case here.

Weren't you the one that just posted the princesses brides meme a bit ago?

Go read a logic book or something. I have one if you want to borrow it.
*sigh*

eliroo, what's your point?

First - It doesn't matter if he was arguing with me or not. He brought up the White House when we were clearly talking about the FBI and their lack of stewardship in regards to Section 702.
Second - He inputted the White House's issues when, again, we weren't even discussing that.
Third - It doesn't matter if he did or did not continue, he was directing the conversation into an attack on the Trump (again).

Are you blind, or do you just like to argue? Should I start calling you Flavin now?
By Nausi 2017-05-26 10:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

4th Circuit is liberal, not quite as much as 9th but it's still liberal. This entire area is hyper liberal, again not as much as San Francisco (home of 9th Circuit) but more then Texas / Oklahoma and most of the rest of the country....

Quote:
The United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit is one of twelve regional appellate courts within the federal judicial system. The court hears appeals from the nine federal district courts in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
I will grant you that Northern VA and MD's I95 corridor are liberal, and both house an outsized portion of their states' population, but last I heard West Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina were quite conservative as are the less populous counties of Maryland and Virginia.
These judges aren't elected. They're appointed by presidents. Many are holdovers from Obama.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 10:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If you would stop arguing over who is better at arguing you might learn something.
I counter your argument with a "no u"!
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-05-26 10:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Also, does Chanti not know that Savael is referring to federal judges and their political preference and not the population at whole?
Let me bold the ridiculous statement that I was arguing against for you King.
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I counter your argument with a "no u"!

I find the word you offensive it places me in to a category of others that I might not like !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-26 10:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Let me bold the ridiculous statement that I was arguing against for you King.
Let me underline the subject and basis of his post for you Chanti.

Again, he wasn't arguing that the area itself is hyper liberal, he was arguing that the court system in that district is hyper liberal (again, not as bad as the 9th, but it's getting there).
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I just realize the idea of finding things to be offended by causes anxiety and depression. I get liberals now !
By eliroo 2017-05-26 10:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo, what's your point?

The point is that you keep using Logical Fallacies incorrectly in an effort to give you a step up on whoever you are arguing with. Why not just take it as advice and learn how to actually use the fallacy correctly. I've pointed how you've used it wrong how many times? Just stop using it, or learn how to use it.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-05-26 10:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

He used the words "This entire area."
By eliroo 2017-05-26 10:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I just realize the idea of finding things to be offended by causes anxiety and depression. I get liberals now !

"Outrage culture"
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-05-26 10:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
I wonder if Obama puts pineapple on his pizza that is also a question that needs answered.
Pineapple on a pizza is disgusting.
Only when not paired with Canadian bacon.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

"Outrage culture"

Outrage is fun but it gets exhausting. I can't keep up my irrational fear of Russia for my longer. I'm starting to look over my shoulder for a KGB agent and a black BMW.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-05-26 10:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what Teddy Roosevelt would have done with Syrian refugees that is the real question of the day.
Just wanted to use the bold function.
[+]
By eliroo 2017-05-26 10:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Pineapple on a pizza is disgusting.
Only when not paired with Canadian bacon.

Pineapple on Pizza is disgusting only with a Red sauce base. The acidity of the tomato's doesn't match up with the acidity of Pineapples. It is fair game on other sauces (Such as BBQ).
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I never psycho analyzed pizza but I put it on my "to do" list.
By fonewear 2017-05-26 10:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Put it this way if the pizza needs toppings it was never a good pizza to begin with.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-05-26 10:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Richmond VA is quite liberal as is everything close to DC. The 4th Circuit Court is based in Richmond VA and while it's district includes some conservative states, it's Judges are largely appointed from extremely liberal area's.

And yeah Chanti doesn't know squat about how Judges are appointed.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 79 80 81