Random Arguments & Strawmen #15

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 46 47 48
By eliroo 2016-12-02 16:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
To be honest, I really don't believe that liberals are brainwashing their voters.

I just don't trust in the intellectual capacity of most of Clinton's voters, especially if they are living in the coastal cities.

I also used brainwashing lightly, but I still think it happens in a sense for both groups mostly through their media outlets

I wouldn't doubt it if the new liberal message goes against certain minorities that went strong against them (Hispanics mainly). That's a huge portion of the Texas population there.....and most of them vote for the dems.

You could have a point but most voters only care about identity politics and by that I mean they only care if the candidate identifies as republican or democrat.

The DNC is in an interesting position in which they can change directions and driver further left than Clinton (who was basically a republican running on the democrat ticket before Bernie challenged her platform). They need to go left to keep voters, otherwise their voters won't care to vote.
By eliroo 2016-12-02 16:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Yatenkou said: »
Well do you blame them Chanti? You have a green party member who won 1% of the vote, who is trying to play the "erh meh gerd meh verte ehntergrehtehhhh (integrity)" and it's very blunt only -1- person could benefit from this recount. I think that's flat out dirty, I think it should be illegal that they're blatantly working together, and if Hillary wanted a damn recount, SHE SHOULD'VE DONE IT HERSELF.

The fact that Trump is winning by over 10,000 to 20,000 in these states means she has almost a 0% chance of overturning those votes, but that's not her game. If the recounts aren't done before the time the Electoral College votes, then they don't get counted, and then Obama can use "The will of the people" card to make it where Hillary wins due to the popular vote. I don't doubt that this is the objective, why else would they be trying so ruthlessly to cockblock Trump?

This needs to end now, because it's only going to further kill the Democratic party, and leave a super nasty taste in everyone's mouth regarding the Green Party. This is absolutely disgraceful to our republic, and Hillary/Stein need to accept that Trump lost, otherwise Hillary is outright proving she's a hypocrite, and if Obama plays that card after the three states are stalled, then that'll be the end of the USA that we know and love, because that will OUTRAGE so many people to the point that we may actually have conservatives riot, and it'll be a lot uglier than what these college punks are doing.

I personally think all votes should be recounted every year, I mean this is just the president of the US we are talking about it can't hurt to double check the results right? Are you really going complain about double checking the results?
Two things: 1) The results reported on Election Day is almost never the final count, and the final count is always recounted before they are released. And 2) It doesn't matter anyway because after Dec. 19th, we have a new President.

I just don't get the problem with wanting a recount. Let them do it, checks on democracy are great ideas.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-02 16:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

... then Obama can use "The will of the people" card to make it where Hillary wins due to the popular vote....
There is no way Obama can do that. Read the constitituion.

Quote:
... it's only going to further kill the Democratic party, and leave a super nasty taste in everyone's mouth regarding the Green Party....
And this is a bad outcome just how?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 16:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I also used brainwashing lightly, but I still think it happens in a sense for both groups mostly through their media outlets
It's called propaganda.

You could have a point but most voters only care about identity politics and by that I mean they only care if the candidate identifies as republican or democrat.
I will admit that. My father has been a staunch Republican since he was eligible to vote, and, according to him, has never voted outside the party lines.

Satan (the devil, not Hercule) would be running for president as a R and he would still vote for him/it.

The DNC is in an interesting position in which they can change directions and driver further left than Clinton (who was basically a republican running on the democrat ticket before Bernie challenged her platform). They need to go left to keep voters, otherwise their voters won't care to vote.
...do you honestly believe that, by going to the fringes of society, that will win them elections in the future, when you have 3 election cycles that practically spelled out that the inverse is true (which is, going towards the middle wins votes, not going away from it).

If you honestly believe that, then enjoy seeing more Republicans going to power.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-02 16:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally think all votes should be recounted every year, I mean this is just the president of the US we are talking about it can't hurt to double check the results right? Are you really going complain about double checking the results?

All votes? I'm fine with having better accuracy, but there are many practical reasons why a mandated recount doesn't make sense. Here are a few.

1. Taxpayers pay for it. Government waste is bad enough without unnecessarily spending double on something, especially in high-population areas and places where the votes aren't even close.
2. If you're taking the recounted results as the final vote total, there is practically no reason to count them the first time except to give an general idea of who is likely to win. This gives less incentive to get it right the first time, which could cause suspicion in recounts that end up with different results.
3. It allows more time for vote tampering. Precincts are expected to give the results as quickly as possible on election night. Recounts have a broader timeline and election workers in close states could face intimidation from outside groups.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 16:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well do you blame them Chanti? You have a green party member who won 1% of the vote, who is trying to play the "erh meh gerd meh verte ehntergrehtehhhh (integrity)" and it's very blunt only -1- person could benefit from this recount. I think that's flat out dirty, I think it should be illegal that they're blatantly working together, and if Hillary wanted a damn recount, SHE SHOULD'VE DONE IT HERSELF.

The fact that Trump is winning by over 10,000 to 20,000 in these states means she has almost a 0% chance of overturning those votes, but that's not her game. If the recounts aren't done before the time the Electoral College votes, then they don't get counted, and then Obama can use "The will of the people" card to make it where Hillary wins due to the popular vote. I don't doubt that this is the objective, why else would they be trying so ruthlessly to cockblock Trump?

This needs to end now, because it's only going to further kill the Democratic party, and leave a super nasty taste in everyone's mouth regarding the Green Party. This is absolutely disgraceful to our republic, and Hillary/Stein need to accept that Trump lost, otherwise Hillary is outright proving she's a hypocrite, and if Obama plays that card after the three states are stalled, then that'll be the end of the USA that we know and love, because that will OUTRAGE so many people to the point that we may actually have conservatives riot, and it'll be a lot uglier than what these college punks are doing.

Two things: 1) The results reported on Election Day is almost never the final count, and the final count is always recounted before they are released. And 2) It doesn't matter anyway because after Dec. 19th, we have a new President.

I just don't get the problem with wanting a recount. Let them do it, checks on democracy are great ideas.
I just stated that there will be a recount before the final numbers are tallied. There's still a lot of absentee ballots hanging around in limbo.

Hell, they can do the recount on all states now, you probably won't see any states changing electoral votes.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-02 16:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, I know that absentee and provisional ballots being added to the final tallies is sometimes referred to as "recounts", but I wasn't aware of any across-the-board mandatory recount. Part of the confusion comes from the fact that states are sometimes called early based on preliminary exit poll data and other mathematical factors, but I may have to look into the vote-counting process more....
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-02 16:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I apologize if this is a silly question in advance.

You know sometimes I read conspiracy websites for entertainment, but one theory got me curious as if there is any truth to its background(or where it even originates from??): Northern Cali and coastal Oregon splitting from their respective states to create a new state called Jefferson.

There are also theories according to which Washington and Oregon would be annexed to Canada, but that one seems just a bit more unlikely!
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-02 16:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

You know sometimes I read conspiracy websites for entertainment, but one theory got me curious as if there is any truth to its background(or where it even originates from??): Northern Cali and coastal Oregon splitting from their respective states to create a new state called Jefferson.

There are also theories according to which Washington and Oregon would be annexed to Canada, but that one seems just a bit more unlikely!

A state named after George Washington being annexed to Canada.... Well, I can't say exactly how unlikely that is (my guess is extremely), but ol' George would certainly roll over in his grave.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 16:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Hmm, I know that absentee and provisional ballots being added to the final tallies is sometimes referred to as "recounts", but I wasn't aware of any across-the-board mandatory recount. Part of the confusion comes from the fact that states are sometimes called early based on preliminary exit poll data and other mathematical factors, but I may have to look into the vote-counting process more....
Most, if not all, voting districts recount the final tallies prior to the final release, which generally doesn't come until months after the election (and all absentee ballots are counted).
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 16:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It's possible, however unlikely.

The original territory of Texas was split up to encompass several states. When Texas came into the Union, it looked like this:

So, it's not unheard of from a large state to be broken up into multiple states. It actually happened before.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-02 16:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't be willing to annex states to Canada, but I'd be willing to annex a good chunk of California to the ocean.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 16:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't be willing to annex states to Canada, but I'd be willing to annex a good chunk of California to the ocean.
Naw, that's our strongest bargaining chip if Mexico was to ever go to war against us again.

"You want to go to war with us again? Fine, but if you lose, you have to take California!"
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-02 16:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I know nothing is going to Canada anytime soon <.< I was more interested in the Jefferson idea.

I just really like geography and so all these theories about US changing shape(there are many of these with varying degrees of tinfoilness)spark my curiousity!
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-02 16:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I know nothing is going to Canada anytime soon <.< I was more interested in the Jefferson idea.

I just really like geography and so all these theories about US changing shape(there are many of these with varying degrees of tinfoilness)spark my curiousity!

I'd heard stories of California breaking into 5 states a few years back. No boundaries last forever, but I won't believe any of it until something actually goes to a vote.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 16:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd heard stories of California breaking into 5 states a few years back. No boundaries last forever, but I won't believe any of it until something actually goes to a vote.
I'm all for California breaking up.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-12-02 17:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, voters who voted for Obama, then voted for Trump, did so because the liberal/democrat message practically stated that they are unimportant to the liberal "Great Society." In some cases, even demeaned them (white, working-class union members generally turn out for the dems, but came out for Trump instead).

White people don't matter, they aren't part of an important protected victim class and haven't been oppressed enough to warrant attention in The Great Society. They should just shut up and be happy they aren't lined up and taxed to pay for the mistakes of their ancestors.

That's the Democrat message to white middle class workers.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-12-02 17:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure it is.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-02 18:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea has been floated moer than once. I think there was a try to put succession on the ballot in CA recently.

Southern OR and northern CA both have extractive based economies, mostly timber, at least before legalized pot. They both lean republican in democratic states. So its a fairly natural fit. Odds on it happening? Nil.

There have been other breakup and reformation ideas floated in the region, Like Cascadia, Western WA and OR together and ... I forget the proposed name, say Inlandia or Leftoveria just because, being the leftover eastern WA and OR.

There has even been talk of breakaway and reformed counties, SW King co (Seattle's county) and NW Pierce Co (Tacoma's county). That one also tried a ballot initiative.

So yes, these things get talked about, but little gets done with them.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2016-12-02 18:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

That's because most states perform their own recounts before calling on election night, hell this is Michigan's third recount.

Also in other news, 22,000 Clinton votes surface in Pennsylvania, that's certainly not suspicious at all.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-12-02 20:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

How it feels talking to liberals:

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Yatenkou 2016-12-02 22:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
How it feels talking to liberals:

YouTube Video Placeholder
And me, I'm by definition a worry wort, so I guarantee my blood pressure has shot up.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-12-03 01:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like the presses are just printing out extra votes for Hillary in PA as for some reason absentee ballots are coming in from Europe in a suspiciously heavy Hillary manner AND they still haven't managed to count all the votes yet in Philly for some reason that i'm sure has nothing to do with illegalities.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/politics/trumps-pennsylvania-lead-shrinks-as-counties-wrap-up-counts/472596430

Hold onto your butts, looks like we might fly dangerously close to "selected not elected" part 2.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-03 10:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Woke up this morning to news that Palin wrote an op-ed where she called Trumps "Carrier Deal" crony capitalism and akin to socialism

http://www.youngcons.com/sarah-palin-but-wait-the-good-guys-wont-win-with-more-crony-capitalism/

Yet she still remains hopeful about the Trump administration.

World is getting stranger by the second.
By Yatenkou 2016-12-03 11:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Woke up this morning to news that Palin wrote an op-ed where she called Trumps "Carrier Deal" crony capitalism and akin to socialism

http://www.youngcons.com/sarah-palin-but-wait-the-good-guys-wont-win-with-more-crony-capitalism/

Yet she still remains hopeful about the Trump administration.

World is getting stranger by the second.
What the hell Palin, you had the one opportunity to be taken seriously again and you just blew it.
By Viciouss 2016-12-03 11:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Where did that opportunity come from?
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-12-03 11:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Many don't take Trump seriously and he's President Elect, Palin could get any job and not be taken seriously. People want her in because Tina Fey is hot as Palin.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-03 12:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Many don't take Trump seriously and he's President Elect, Palin could get any job and not be taken seriously. People want her in because Lisa Ann is hot as Palin.
Ftfy
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 46 47 48