Random Arguments & Strawmen #15

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 46 47 48
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-12-02 14:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

That's... not what it's saying at all.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 14:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

What isn't?

The article is trying to deflect away from (one of) their main issue(s) at hand, which is the type of policies they promote, and instead blame irrational behavior of the people who didn't vote for Clinton.

In other words, instead of changing the message to resonate with the rest of the nation, like they stated in the first paragraph, the article says the message is fine (and should be furthered moved to the left), it's the public's fault for not listening to the liberals.

AKA:

Quote:
they are instead crying for more, stronger, and radical divides than ever before.

If you want to stop the bleeding, you don't cut open the wound further and deeper.....
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-02 14:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Efforts Underway to Block Recounts in Wis., Mich.
Lawsuit filed in Wisconsin, attorney general seeks to block recount in Michigan

Quote:
(Newser) – Presidential election recount efforts in Wisconsin and Michigan are hitting roadblocks, the AP reports. Trump supporters have filed a federal lawsuit and a request for a temporary restraining order in an attempt to block the Wisconsin recount effort, arguing that the recount, which started Thursday, threatens the due process rights of Trump voters. The lawsuit also argues that since Dec. 13 is the deadline, election officials will probably make mistakes.

Meanwhile, in Michigan, the state's attorney general has asked the state Supreme Court to block a potential recount there. Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein requested the recount in both states, and Michigan's AG argues that she has no right to do so because there's no way she would have won the state even if the votes were miscounted. Stein also hopes to get a recount in Pennsylvania.
So what are they afraid of anyway?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-12-02 14:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The argument is that policy isn't a deal breaker.
Quote:
“Voters don’t choose between politicians based on policy stances; rather, voters appear to adopt the policies that their favorite politicians prefer.”
Hillary had more defined policies but that didn't matter because people didn't like her.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-12-02 14:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

are you talking about a different article than the one you posted?

First two sentances:

"As Democrats contemplate their losses in November’s election, most have settled on a solution. They believe that the party needs more economically populist policies."

opinion of the writer:

"But this misses an essential reality: Most people don’t vote on the basis of policies."
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 14:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The argument is that policy isn't a deal breaker.
Quote:
“Voters don’t choose between politicians based on policy stances; rather, voters appear to adopt the policies that their favorite politicians prefer.”
Hillary had more defined policies but that didn't matter because people didn't like her.
They are trying to justify the loss, stating that Trump voters voted because they were racist, sexist, xenophobes, deplorable, etc. irrational people who cared more about personality than policy.

In other words, they are trying to justify their message that was one of the key factors as why the Democrats have been losing so bad the past 3 election cycles. Again, ignoring the problem is not solving it.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-12-02 14:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's the "the candidate I'd rather have a beer with" theory...it's been around a long time...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 14:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

But hey, if you want to ignore the true purpose of the opinion piece as trying to scapegoat the reason they lost, by all means, go for it.

Question still stands:

Quote:
Any guesses on how many seats they will lose in 2018?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-12-02 14:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Today I'd bet money on 3... but get a little closer I might bet 10 senate seats could go R if trump continues winning the media war.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-02 14:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

In theory shouldn't democrats now feel more motivated to go out to vote for various things? Since you know, abstention didn't work out that well..
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-02 14:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Last I heard, they're already at a disadvantage in the Senate races just due to the timing of reelections. Not a good position to be in when midterm elections are supposed to be windfalls for the party opposite of the president.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-02 14:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
In theory shouldn't democrats now feel more motivated to go out to vote for various things? Since you know, abstention didn't work out that well..

In theory we shouldn't have an orange lying shitbag as the president elect, but here we are.

*** theory right in the cornhole.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-02 14:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
It's the "the candidate I'd rather have a beer with" theory...it's been around a long time...
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-12-02 14:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I could enjoy spirits with almost anyone.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 14:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
You could say that to almost anyone, especially if they are buying.

Those of us who don't drink wouldn't do it even if it's our most favored person in the world. At least, I wouldn't.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-12-02 15:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

But hey, if you want to ignore the true purpose of the opinion piece as trying to scapegoat the reason they lost, by all means, go for it.

Question still stands:

Quote:

Is "all of them" an option?

If not, I'm going to suggest a supermajority could be in sight. Trumps connection to his supporters is not going to get any weaker. It's easy to keep fighting when there is no doubt Trump has got your back.
By eliroo 2016-12-02 15:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad Nausi is here to replace LG. I was genuinely curious if all the crazy people devoid of logical reasoning had left planet earth yet. Seems I was wrong.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 15:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Not really.

Liberals still are brainwashing residents in the coastal cities and cities with Ivy league (or pretending-to-be) colleges.

But if they keep this up, even the "isles of blue" in the sea of red will be washed away. I wouldn't be surprised if San Antonio turns red next election, maybe even Dallas/Fort Worth or Houston.

Austin will still be blue, too many lobbyists and corruption in the state capital.
By eliroo 2016-12-02 15:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really.

Liberals still are brainwashing residents in the coastal cities and cities with Ivy league (or pretending-to-be) colleges.

But if they keep this up, even the "isles of blue" in the sea of red will be washed away. I wouldn't be surprised if San Antonio turns red next election, maybe even Dallas/Fort Worth or Houston.

Austin will still be blue, too many lobbyists and corruption in the state capital.

The reasons for Dallas, San Antonio and Houston all being blue should be very obvious given their demographics. Austin is also a college town so it being blue make sense.

Also, the correct term is Democrats* still are brainwashing and to be fair Republicans are guilty of the same crime.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-12-02 15:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Those of us who don't drink wouldn't do it even if it's our most favored person in the world. At least, I wouldn't.

the exception that proves the rule.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 15:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

the exception that proves the rule.
I didn't disagree with you.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 15:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Not really.

The reasons for Dallas, San Antonio and Houston all being blue should be very obvious given their demographics. Austin is also a college town so it being blue make sense.

Also, the correct term is Democrats* still are brainwashing and to be fair Republicans are guilty of the same crime.
I'm not saying that they "shouldn't" be blue. I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they turn red the next election cycle, if the current method of "ignoring the people" continues from the liberals.

By the way: Are you saying that Republicans are brainwashing their voters, who, by admission of the liberal media, are brainless fools who don't understand the "liberal message"? How is that possible?
[+]
By eliroo 2016-12-02 15:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

By the way: Are you saying that Republicans are brainwashing their voters, who, by admission of the liberal media, are brainless fools who don't understand the "liberal message"? How is that possible?

Is this statement supposed to be countering the idea that Republicans are brainwashing voters into voting for them?

They both do it to an extent. You'd have to be brainwashed by one to only admit that a single party does it.

I'm not saying that they "shouldn't" be blue. I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they turn red the next election cycle, if the current method of "ignoring the people" continues from the liberals.

Yes, I know and I'm implying that the reason why they are blue is the same reason as to why they will stay blue. Unless Dallas, Houston and San Antonio have some huge demographic changes they will always be blue.
By Yatenkou 2016-12-02 15:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Efforts Underway to Block Recounts in Wis., Mich.
Lawsuit filed in Wisconsin, attorney general seeks to block recount in Michigan

Quote:
(Newser) – Presidential election recount efforts in Wisconsin and Michigan are hitting roadblocks, the AP reports. Trump supporters have filed a federal lawsuit and a request for a temporary restraining order in an attempt to block the Wisconsin recount effort, arguing that the recount, which started Thursday, threatens the due process rights of Trump voters. The lawsuit also argues that since Dec. 13 is the deadline, election officials will probably make mistakes.

Meanwhile, in Michigan, the state's attorney general has asked the state Supreme Court to block a potential recount there. Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein requested the recount in both states, and Michigan's AG argues that she has no right to do so because there's no way she would have won the state even if the votes were miscounted. Stein also hopes to get a recount in Pennsylvania.
So what are they afraid of anyway?
They're afraid of the fact that Stein's game isn't to overturn the results, but to stall them so they can't cast their votes altogether.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-02 15:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Its up to three now.

Donald Trump's Team Moves to Stop Jill Stein's Vote Recounts in 3 States
Fortune

Quote:
Claiming Stein didn’t file the recount in good faith

Donald Trump backers have filed legal challenges in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan to stop the vote recounts being pushed by Green Party candidate Jill Stein.

Attorneys for Trump filed a complaint in Pennsylvania Thursday, arguing that Stein’s petition for a recount doesn’t state a valid claim and was not filed “in good faith, that the petitioners are not entitled to a recount and that the petitioners didn’t comply with the Election Code’s bonding requirement for bringing an election contest.

“Despite being no more than a blip on the electoral radar, Stein has now commandeered Pennsylvania’s electoral process, with an eye toward doing the same to the Electoral College,” the complaint says. “There is no evidence—or even an allegation—that any tampering with Pennsylvania’s voting systems actually occurred.”

Stein’s campaign manager David Cobb retaliated in a statement Friday, saying, “Donald Trump will do anything and everything to block Pennsylvania voters from knowing whether their votes counted. Why is he so worried about letting this recount move forward?

The Wisconsin challenge, filed by the Great America PAC, the Stop Hillary PAC and Ronald R. Johnson, a Wisconsin resident, argues that the recount violates the Supreme Court’s test for equal protection in the recount process established in Bush v Gore.

“Particularly in conjunction with other baseless recounts sought by a candidate who did not win a single presidential elector, [the Wisconsin recount] may unjustifiably cast doubt upon the legitimacy of President-Elect Donald J. Trump’s victory,” the court filing reads.

The Michigan challenge by Trump campaign lawyers argues that Stein was not “aggrieved” enough where any potential vote miscount would have cost her the election.

Stein crowdfunded the money needed for all three recounts on her website and had raised $6.8 million by Friday afternoon.

Trump won Wisconsin by about 22,000 votes, Pennsylvania by 64,000 votes and Michigan by 10,000 votes, according to a vote tally by the New York Times.
Nothing quite like a sore, petulant winner.
By Yatenkou 2016-12-02 15:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Well do you blame them Chanti? You have a green party member who won 1% of the vote, who is trying to play the "erh meh gerd meh verte ehntergrehtehhhh (integrity)" and it's very blunt only -1- person could benefit from this recount. I think that's flat out dirty, I think it should be illegal that they're blatantly working together, and if Hillary wanted a damn recount, SHE SHOULD'VE DONE IT HERSELF.

The fact that Trump is winning by over 10,000 to 20,000 in these states means she has almost a 0% chance of overturning those votes, but that's not her game. If the recounts aren't done before the time the Electoral College votes, then they don't get counted, and then Obama can use "The will of the people" card to make it where Hillary wins due to the popular vote. I don't doubt that this is the objective, why else would they be trying so ruthlessly to cockblock Trump?

This needs to end now, because it's only going to further kill the Democratic party, and leave a super nasty taste in everyone's mouth regarding the Green Party. This is absolutely disgraceful to our republic, and Hillary/Stein need to accept that Trump lost, otherwise Hillary is outright proving she's a hypocrite, and if Obama plays that card after the three states are stalled, then that'll be the end of the USA that we know and love, because that will OUTRAGE so many people to the point that we may actually have conservatives riot, and it'll be a lot uglier than what these college punks are doing.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2016-12-02 15:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yatenkou said: »
Well do you blame them Chanti? You have a green party member who won 1% of the vote, who is trying to play the "erh meh gerd meh verte ehntergrehtehhhh (integrity)" and it's very blunt only -1- person could benefit from this recount. I think that's flat out dirty, I think it should be illegal that they're blatantly working together, and if Hillary wanted a damn recount, SHE SHOULD'VE DONE IT HERSELF.

The fact that Trump is winning by over 10,000 to 20,000 in these states means she has almost a 0% chance of overturning those votes, but that's not her game. If the recounts aren't done before the time the Electoral College votes, then they don't get counted, and then Obama can use "The will of the people" card to make it where Hillary wins due to the popular vote. I don't doubt that this is the objective, why else would they be trying so ruthlessly to cockblock Trump?

This needs to end now, because it's only going to further kill the Democratic party, and leave a super nasty taste in everyone's mouth regarding the Green Party. This is absolutely disgraceful to our republic, and Hillary/Stein need to accept that Trump lost, otherwise Hillary is outright proving she's a hypocrite, and if Obama plays that card after the three states are stalled, then that'll be the end of the USA that we know and love, because that will OUTRAGE so many people to the point that we may actually have conservatives riot, and it'll be a lot uglier than what these college punks are doing.

That Trump won****
By eliroo 2016-12-02 15:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally think all votes should be recounted every year, I mean this is just the president of the US we are talking about it can't hurt to double check the results right? Are you really going complain about double checking the results?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 15:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this statement supposed to be countering the idea that Republicans are brainwashing voters into voting for them?

They both do it to an extent. You'd have to be brainwashed by one to only admit that a single party does it.
To be honest, I really don't believe that liberals are brainwashing their voters.

I just don't trust in the intellectual capacity of most of Clinton's voters, especially if they are living in the coastal cities.

Yes, I know and I'm implying that the reason why they are blue is the same reason as to why they will stay blue. Unless Dallas, Houston and San Antonio have some huge demographic changes they will always be blue.
Actually, they wouldn't really have to change to turn them red.

I mean, voters who voted for Obama, then voted for Trump, did so because the liberal/democrat message practically stated that they are unimportant to the liberal "Great Society." In some cases, even demeaned them (white, working-class union members generally turn out for the dems, but came out for Trump instead).

I wouldn't doubt it if the new liberal message goes against certain minorities that went strong against them (Hispanics mainly). That's a huge portion of the Texas population there.....and most of them vote for the dems.

Like I said, it doesn't matter if the demographics change or not, it's the message that is portrayed that is the issue at hand.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 15:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally think all votes should be recounted every year, I mean this is just the president of the US we are talking about it can't hurt to double check the results right? Are you really going complain about double checking the results?
Two things: 1) The results reported on Election Day is almost never the final count, and the final count is always recounted before they are released. And 2) It doesn't matter anyway because after Dec. 19th, we have a new President.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 46 47 48