Random Politics & Religion #10

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #10
Random Politics & Religion #10
First Page 2 3 4 ... 26 27 28
By mithramegz 2016-08-22 21:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Ok, point out what was hostile.

Nothing about it was, and you're being offended and defensive over a benign statement. I pointed out that only 2 provinces actually have accents that are noticeable or existent in response to your whole "your accents are confusing" statement (which even if sarcastic, is what was actually hostile).

And that there aren't many things confusing about our countries differences unless you haven't actually met very many Canadians or get out to do so, other than the spelling of certain words.
I'm fairly certain you're the one that's being offended and defensive here. I live right next to Canada and have been there many times, especially when I was under 21. To say you don't have accents is absurd to say the least.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-08-22 21:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, that's what the argument is about? If Canadians have accents?

Good lord, BR. Yes, you do. Everywhere has an accent, unless you work to get it out of your speech. That's just how language works.
By Bloodrose 2016-08-22 22:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I acknowledged parts of Canada have a deeper or more noticeable accent.

Having been in the hospitality industry for well over 10 years, I've met my fair share of Americans from various parts of the US, as well as Canadians. Even without working on it, the majority of people don't have a noticeable or distinguishable accent from Canada to the US, and nothing about any noticeable accents are in any way confusing.

The DIALECTS can be different or confusing, which is also a part of how language works, but that's not mutually exclusive to accents.

because you know, that's how language works.
By mithramegz 2016-08-22 22:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't know it was an argument but I guess so. people from different towns have different accents, saying another country is accent free is ludicrous.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-08-22 22:06:12
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you on aboot, eh?
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-08-22 22:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
I'm on aboot the ruff over yar head.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-08-22 22:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

dang it, reading it over again in my head, it's clearly trying too hard to be funny.

Damn it.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-08-22 22:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You better watch it, ya hoser!
By Bloodrose 2016-08-22 22:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You better watch it, ya hoser!
[+]
By mithramegz 2016-08-22 22:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Having been in the hospitality industry for well over 10 years, I've met my fair share of Americans from various parts of the US, as well as Canadians. Even without working on it, the majority of people don't have a noticeable or distinguishable accent from Canada to the US, and nothing about any noticeable accents are in any way confusing.

The DIALECTS can be different or confusing, which is also a part of how language works, but that's not mutually exclusive to accents.

I'm glad you've figured out how language works and can admit when you're wrong. I'll try and use the sarcasm tags in the future so you don't get confused over it.
By Bloodrose 2016-08-22 22:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

And the passive-aggressive hostility continues.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-08-22 22:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I'd tell you that you're too nice, but you probably wouldn't know what I'm talking aboot.
[+]
By mithramegz 2016-08-22 22:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd ask you to point it out like you did to me, but your acknowledgement that you actually understand it is enough.
By Bloodrose 2016-08-22 22:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The more I disagree with someone, the more I'm willing to make up for it over a beer.

The more I like someone the more I'm willing to have a beer with them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-08-22 22:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The more I disagree with someone, the more I'm willing to make up for it over a beer.

Sooooo... you like beer, then?
By Bloodrose 2016-08-22 22:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

mithramegz said: »

I'm glad you've figured out how language works and can admit when you're wrong. I'll try and use the sarcasm tags in the future so you don't get confused over it.
The bolded is the passive-aggressive hostility. Because for starters I wasn't wrong, when I pointed out 2 areas of Canada that had very deep and notable accents. Nor did I say that we *didn't* have accents, or that our country was accent free, and you completely skipped over what I had written to make a passive-aggressive jab about me being wrong, or that I've somehow "figured out how language works".

But you know, you still haven't pointed out where anything I said in my initial statement to you was hostile in any way.
By Bloodrose 2016-08-22 22:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sooooo... you like beer, then?
Canadian stereo-type. I personally don't like beer, but for some reason people get excited and bond over it when in moderation.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-22 23:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

SE needs to stop with these goddamn free weekends and stuff. Everytime it's a circumventer's wet dream.
By fonewear 2016-08-23 07:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, you get our accents confused, despite the only two provinces that have accents (Quebec and Newfoundland), where as they don't exist in the other provinces in comparison to the majority of the United States.

The only confusing thing between our countries would be minor spelling changes with certain words.

Or perhaps you don't get out much, or haven't actually met many Canadians.

Why in the world would anyone want to meet a Canadian in real life ?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-08-23 08:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

When he said two areas of Canada have it I just imagined all of Canada split in two... Makes sense...

I never thought I really had an accent though until I went on a trip with family to AZ and the waiter at a restaurant we were at asked if we were from Chicago... I followed up by asking what kind of foul sorcery was he employing to conjur up that type of information but it was apparently just our accent...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-23 09:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
SE needs to stop with these goddamn free weekends and stuff. Everytime it's a circumventer's wet dream.
It took you that long to figure it out?

Hell, I knew when he first posted!
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-23 09:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I was Googling...stuff. I was late to the party.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-23 09:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I was Googling...stuff. I was late to the party.
Stop looking for more waifus then!
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-23 11:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, you get our accents confused, despite the only two provinces that have accents (Quebec and Newfoundland), where as they don't exist in the other provinces in comparison to the majority of the United States.
BC has an accent, its the same accent as western WA. And Montreal's accent sounds a lot like Manhattan's dominant accent. (Be happy it isn't Brooklyn's.)

Make that a cider and I'm in.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-23 11:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
BC has an accent, its the same accent as western WA. And Montreal's accent sounds a lot like Manhattan's dominant accent. (Be happy it isn't Brooklyn's.)

Make that a cider and I'm in.
Angry Orchard...hmm
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2016-08-23 11:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Canadians don't have accents.
(It's the newfies that have accents)

Source: A Canadian told me.
 Odin.Strummer
Server: Odin
By Odin.Strummer 2016-08-23 12:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

My 10th grade History teacher thought I was Canadian because of the way I pronounce "Halloween" (I clip the "o" a little.) Born and raised in Southern California.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-23 13:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

"...uhh..." - President Barack Obama
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-08-23 13:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I like a good strong cider.
Conveniently, there's a brand of apple juice that includes some of the pulp in the juice, instead of that golden concentrated stuff.
Tastes like cider/eating an apple pie.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 26 27 28