Random Politics & Religion #03

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #03
Random Politics & Religion #03
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 27 28 29
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-26 03:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

SÄPO (Swedish Security Police) has received information about a potential terrorist attack in Sweden and Aftonbladet's sources say there are 7-8 ISIS members in the country for the purpose of an attack though SÄPO won't confirm (likely due to the mistake last year where they released an image and name of a suspected terrorist who turned out to just be a refugee)

They also haven't raised the threat level yet and are still working on gathering information

Hopefully not something serious but it also wouldn't surprise me since hundreds left to fight and have returned
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-26 06:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
SÄPO (Swedish Security Police) has received information about a potential terrorist attack in Sweden and Aftonbladet's sources say there are 7-8 ISIS members in the country for the purpose of an attack though SÄPO won't confirm (likely due to the mistake last year where they released an image and name of a suspected terrorist who turned out to just be a refugee)

They also haven't raised the threat level yet and are still working on gathering information

Hopefully not something serious but it also wouldn't surprise me since hundreds left to fight and have returned

Why would anyone attack Sweden. What have you guys ever done to anybody?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-26 06:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, they helped the nazis until '43.
But that's not very relevant here!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-26 07:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

But speaking of Scandinavia..

Norway pays refugees to leave
Quote:

Norwegian authorities are offering a "bonus" 10,000 kroner (£1,000) to asylum seekers willing to leave the country voluntarily.

The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) says the measure is less expensive than keeping refugees in immigration centres in the country.

Launched on Monday, the scheme will run for six weeks, state broadcaster NRK reported UDI saying.

The money will be paid to the first 500 asylum seekers to apply on a first-come, first-served basis.

“We need to entice more [people] to voluntarily travel back by giving them a bit more money on their way out. This will save us a lot of money because it is expensive to have people in the asylum centres,” Sylvi Listhaug, integration minister, said.

The 10,000 kroner would be in addition to the 20,000 kroner already given to asylum seekers and migrants in an irregular situation who wish to return voluntarily from Norway to their country of origin.

Ms Listhaug said she hoped this project would be successful and would support those who return to their homeland voluntarily.

“There are also many who are not entitled to asylum and are going to be rejected. It's better for us to encourage them to travel back,” she added.

The Norwegian government initially launched financial incentives for migrants to return to their home countries in December last year.

The International Organisation for Migration (IOM), which processes the Voluntary Assisted Return Programme requests and offers advice and counselling, described it as “safe and dignified”.

Spokesperson Joost van der Aalst said the number of asylum seekers taking up the offer was rocketing, particularly among people attempting to bring their families to Norway.
The EU migrant crisis explained in 90 seconds The EU migrant crisis explained in 90 seconds Play! 01:37

UDI said that many of the people arriving from Syria, Iraq, the Middle East and Africa expect to receive protection quickly and cannot wait the months or even years the process can take.

“Many cannot wait (for the asylum process to run its course). They have family at home who expect them to be able to help," Katinka Hartmann, UDI's head, said in December.

“For a long time, Norway has not been able to forcibly return people to Somalia, but now that we can, I think that more Somalis with an obligation to leave will opt for assisted return.

“It’s important to have more initiatives of this kind in the future,” she said.

Ms Listhaug made headlines last week after floating in the Mediterranean Sea in an orange survival suit to experience being rescued from a refugee's "perspective."

Before starting her new role she was also accused of being insensitive after she invoked Jesus in an explanation for why Norway shouldn't accept so many refugees.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-26 07:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »

Well we have Lars Wilks

Quote:
Lars Endel Roger Vilks Lanat (born 20 June 1946) is a Swedish artist, Doctor of Philosophy, and activist who garnered fame for his drawings of Muhammad, which resulted in at least two failed attempts by Islamic extremists to murder him.

And we support other countries who are actively fighting ISIS
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-26 07:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

We also had a terrorist attack in 2010 in Stockholm

Quote:
About ten minutes before the explosions, a threatening email was sent to the Swedish Security Service and the Swedish news agency Tidningarnas Telegrambyrå (TT). It referred to the presence of Swedish troops in Afghanistan and Swedish artist Lars Vilks' drawings of Muhammad as a roundabout dog: "Now your children, daughters and sisters will die in the same way our brothers and sisters die. Our actions will speak for themselves. As long as you don't end your war against Islam and degradation against the prophet and your foolish support for the pig [Lars] Vilks." The email ended with a call to "all Mujahedin in Europe and Sweden. Now is the time to strike, wait no longer. Go forward with whatever you have, even if it is a knife, and I know you have more than a knife. Fear no one, don't fear prison, don't fear death."
 Bahamut.Krizz
Server: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2016-04-26 08:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Extremists suck.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-26 09:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
This counts as random and politics right?

Those are pretty high-quality masks.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-26 09:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Highest on threat list atm are UK, Germany and Italy. FBI talks about these three countries having sleeping cells planning Paris-like attacks almost everyday.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-26 09:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

They recruit people in Göteborg and Malmö to fight for ISIS, I remember reading about one guy recruiting at Arbetsförmedlingen's office in Malmö, the Swedish Public Employment Service. Unfortunately there were no security cameras.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-04-26 09:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

What have you guys ever done to anybody?
Just as hint if your question is really of interest to you.
Like most countries in Europe there were periods when even Sweden was ambitious. Their goal of Dominium maris Baltici being the most noticable one.

As for the terroristic threat one can only hope that nothing will happen.
I still view France as most likely target with the upcoming European Championship. Since terrorists mostly care for press notes than actual dead counts. Otherwise they would target some random village festival and not always the capitals.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-26 10:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

A story from yesterday was about a city council member from SD (Sweden Democrats) bragging online on the site "Not racist, but" with the account name "UNObserver":

"The only Muslim you can trust is a dead Muslims. But what do I know, I only have 30 years of experience..."

"Have personally defended churches of various kinds in many countries where Muslims burned down "infidels" gathering places. We did not usually intervene in 'countries' internal affairs' but it happened a few times when we were late so we locked and barricaded doors on the outside so that at least the vandalizing Muslims burned to death when the fire bombs exploded. Sadly though, it reduced the number of fires quickly."

"An Uzi in your hand and a Muslim imam can learn to dance. I've tried..."

When confronted by Aftonbladet he denies writing these things and says someone else must have been using his account or that several are using the same account name. Except for his service in Cyprus in the 80s they haven't found anything supporting his posts but the Military will look into it.

Even if it's not true he should be fired immediately.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-26 10:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

And we support other countries who are actively fighting ISIS

Being that they have openly stated that they will attack nations that support the current opposition effort in any capacity, this makes the most sense.

Out of curiosity, close is Malmö to Örebro?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-26 10:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Around 500 km
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-26 10:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

That's if you drive
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-26 10:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That's if you drive
In America we have a phrase "as the crow flies" which is a considerably shorter distance than if the crow has to walk and roll a flat tire.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-04-26 10:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's around 430 'fågelvägen' lol
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-26 11:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

18th Century. That seemed like a fun period. You got your Swedes, you got your Danes, Russianseses, Prussianseseses, Hessianeseses. Then, some goober named Napoleon comes along! Who's this guy?

Really, though, hands down better read than anything you're going to find here.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-04-26 11:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
This counts as random and politics right?

oh yeah, i'm feelin the bern. i'd love to get behind that platform and support the hell out of those causes.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-26 11:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I prefer the 17th Century prequel "The Richelieu Saga" aka "Armand Jean du Plessis spends a lot of skrill to keep the Prussians down guest starring Gustavus Adolphus and friends"
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-26 12:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

John Oliver strikes again.

Sunday night Speaker Paul Ryan was settling into bed to watch Game of Thrones, he apparently caught the last 10 minutes of Last Week Tonight which aired a segment where Lin-Manuel Miranda asked for Ryan and Pelosi to address Puerto Rico's financial woes.

Apparently it moved Ryan to decide that congress should provide the island the tools to sort out their 70B burden.

I think its because Miranda painted a verbal image of doing a do-si-do with Pelosi in Ryan's house motioned him to act.

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-26 12:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
That is a phrase from your generation. While I know what it means. I can't say I have ever felt inclined to use it. Nor has anyone else I know under age 50.

*checks his license just to be sure first*

*nods*

Hey. *** you, buddy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-26 13:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
That's if you drive
In America we have a phrase "as the crow flies" which is a considerably shorter distance than if the crow has to walk and roll a flat tire.

That is a phrase from your generation. While I know what it means. I can't say I have ever felt inclined to use it. Nor has anyone else I know under age 50.
Still under 50.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-26 13:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I suspect that, while it may be an older phrase, it's a lot more common in rural areas. Where we may actual possess the means to travel cross-country. <_<;
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-26 13:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

What's annoying with y'all is when one of us West Coast folk ask you how far a is location from a place and you answer in time.

"about 3hrs".
Ok but how far is it?
"Around 3hrs'... I swear.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-04-26 13:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
a lot more common in rural areas.

I can back that one up.

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
What's annoying with y'all is when one of us West Coast folk ask you how far a is location from a place and you answer in time.

also guilty of this. go team bumfuck nowhere!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-26 13:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Podunk Dunker's should be basketball team their rivals could be the Flint Tropics.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 27 28 29