2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Fallout 4
Fallout 4
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 23
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-13 14:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I liked the way Skyrim handled skill (basically the same way FFXI does) in that the more you use a weapon the more effective it is and the perks tied into the playstyle that skill catered to. It also fits well into immersion, being able to pick up a completely different weapon and be totally proficient at it seems odd.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-13 14:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It's basically a skill tree correlated to your SPECIAL stats and each stat has it's own associated perks. You get one point per level (perhaps more as the game goes on/other conditions are met; I'm not too far into it the game).

As you descend down the tree the perks require a higher base SPECIAL stat and sometimes other prerequisites -- a certain level reached, etc. -- and most of the perks have multiple levels to them that have increased requirements as you go. You can also spend points on leveling up the SPECIAL stats themselves. It's actually not really different from prior games in the end result, it's just implemented in a bit less of an old school RPG fashion.

The lockpick perk, for instance bumps you up a level of lock difficulty for each level of the perk you have.

I can see some people being upset they can't dump all their perks into one thing -- say lockpick, hacking, or charming -- early on like you could in 3/NV, but I like the system well enough.

Training manuals, instead of giving you a point or two in a perk, give you specific bonuses per manual found. Wasteland Survival Guides, for instance, will raise your damage resistance or some such.

Overall I like it but like I said, I can see how it may have detractors.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-13 14:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Sounds similar to Skyrim.

I'd say that it's not so much that they're similar, but that they integrated some features and things they learned from Skyrim into 4's perk tree.

Ackeron said: »
Thought Lv50 was max?

Pretty sure I saw a couple of months ago confirmation that they wouldn't shackle you to a level cap the way 3/NV did.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-13 14:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah there's no level cap. You can get every perk and max every SPECIAL, and monsters go all the way up to level 106 (+Legendary).
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
Server: Asura
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-13 14:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
I liked the way Skyrim handled skill
In this, your SPECIAL stats determine which perks you qualify for, and selecting perks will specialize you into a select few weapons. It's still like Skyrim in that regard. If you get good at using rifles, you just won't be as good at using pistols or melee.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-13 14:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Something I have to admit.

...I really don't like power armor that much. Never have in prior games either where it made you slow as ***. And while the "power armor mode" in this is cool enough, it just feels a little gimmicky to me.

I feel slow and cumbersome.

Maybe that will get better as I level up and can upgrade my armor more.

But as it is now I'm just rocking my greaser gear and patrolman sunglasses most of the time, and some lighter BoS gear when I need to get up close with things trying to kill me.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-13 14:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I LOVE the power armor in this game. At least here it feels like more than "heavy" version of armor. I can add jet packs and cool mods. Before I needed the Powered Power Armor mod to make it feel different from regular armor. In this game I may not need a specific mod for power armor to feel different.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-13 14:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. Like I said, it's cool enough to play around with, but I just can't stand to be running around in the stuff all the time. I go back and pick it up if I need it via fast travel, but I don't live in the stuff.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-13 14:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Yeah. Like I said, it's cool enough to play around with, but I just can't stand to be running around in the stuff all the time. I go back and pick it up if I need it via fast travel, but I don't live in the stuff.
Same here.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-13 14:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's much more of a "power up" than a 24/7 armor solution. Power cores are quite hard to come across until Sentry Bots start popping often.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-13 15:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
It's much more of a "power up" than a 24/7 armor solution. Power cores are quite hard to come across until Sentry Bots start popping often.
I'm finding tons from just exploring and clearing out areas for the brotherhood. I've hardly dug into the MQ.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-13 16:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh, I purposely play Fallout on borderless windowed mode so FFXI doesn't crash when I load it, Nvidia decided to re-optimise to full screen :/
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-13 17:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Ugh, I purposely play Fallout on borderless windowed mode so FFXI doesn't crash when I load it, Nvidia decided to re-optimise to full screen :/
Might be able to get around that by changing your .ini files to read only.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-13 17:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Turn off automatic optimal settings application, and change the options in Geforce Experience (select Fallout 4 and click the wrench) and set it to borderless windowed. It won't force it to fullscreen anymore after that.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-11-13 18:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Just started about an hour and a half in... They way the story is written I feel like having played previous versions ruins some of the "immersion"...but then again getting power armor and killing a death claw so soon makes me wonder what else is in store.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
By Ohji Lunartail 2015-11-13 19:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

loving the game so far
By Ackeron 2015-11-13 20:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

When you dismiss a companion where do they go? I picked up some one other then dogmeat for a part and now I cant find him to get him back ; ;
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-13 20:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You choose a settlement for them to go to, I just chose Sanctuary. You will find him in his doghouse behind one of the houses, not the main one.
[+]
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-13 20:18:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ackeron said: »
When you dismiss a companion where do they go? I picked up some one other then dogmeat for a part and now I cant find him to get him back ; ;

You pick a workshop for them to go to. If you sent him to Sanctuary Hills check all the doghouses, there may be several scattered around and he seems to pick one at random.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-13 21:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
You choose a settlement for them to go to, I just chose Sanctuary. You will find him in his doghouse behind one of the houses, not the main one.

What if you went crazy deconstructing everything in town and you busted up his house before you even met him!?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-13 21:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not possible to scrap the doghouses. I know, I tried.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-13 21:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I was presenting it as a hypothetical, but for some reason I find myself sure I scrapped one. Hmmmm.

This may require loading a previous save and checking once my event is over in a bit.
By Ackeron 2015-11-13 21:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually found him at the Rocket Gas station i didn't even know you could assign them spots lol.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-13 22:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fallout 4's Power Armor Is Better Than Ever

Happened across this.

It's actually an interesting take on the Power Armor and once I get into the game more and get to make it a little more "mine" I can see it maybe in a more positive light in this fashion.
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-14 04:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I built a garage. Took forever without power cores in them, then it took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to power the lights.

[+]
By Ackeron 2015-11-14 17:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Teddy Bear has a Charisma Special of 10.

Found this in a beer factory lol.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-11-14 18:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-14 20:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Boris released his stability patch for Fallout 4. I recommend giving it a go if you're having CTD or performance problems.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-14 20:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

I was presenting it as a hypothetical, but for some reason I find myself sure I scrapped one. Hmmmm.

This may require loading a previous save and checking once my event is over in a bit.
You might have stored it, I know I've stored doghouses.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-15 11:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm experiencing crashes in the Cambridge area, which is tied to several possible paths for the main quest line factions. yay.

Aside from this glaring error it's been a pretty good experience.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 23